100 yd Ground Hog shoot

• Last Post 04 October 2018
GWarden posted this 14 September 2018

Don't forget to get your targets shot and turned in by Oct. 1st. Have only received targets from two so far. Have a great GH shoot.

Bob

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Scearcy posted this 17 September 2018

I took my 300 Blackout to the range yesterday to sight in at 100 yards. I was using my 50 yard load from last spring - 4.5 gr of Trailboss. It was a big no go. Just not enough velocity.

Today I am going to shoot my first target with cross sticks and a light load of 5744 in the 243. Tomorrow I will try prone though it will need to be a high prone with my athletes physique.

Jim

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 17 September 2018

Targets are In the mail today. It was shot last Tuesday and was first sent on Wednesday last week but came back needing more postage. This time I doubled what the meter says!

Was fun, I'll do it again!!!

Tom

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 17 September 2018

Sitting with cross sticks went ok but not great. I managed to hit the Groundhog with every shot at least. I thought I would practice a little prone. No go. The only thing I do well prone, any more, is nap. Plan B tomorrow.

Jim

Attached Files

tlkeizer posted this 19 September 2018

Greetings,

Personally, I would employ plan A with the napping first.

Went out to the range today after being gone for 6 weeks, and had interesting results on the first 2 targets.  On the sighting target the bullets struck about 3 inches low, so figured hold on the head and let'r rip.  Shot my ten, and the group was 3 inches right of the head and not down any except for some called shots.  I am shooting all 10 after verifying strike location on sighter target.  Well, I thought I would shoot the same gun and loads and adjust where I held, using an original Springfield Armory Trapdoor 45-70.  Shot my second target, held left edge of silly groundhog at shoulders, and most of my bullets struck 3-6 inches low.   HMMM.  Now I am thinking of making a pair of crossed sticks just for the experience, and need to do some more reloading.  Should get the targets in the mail by the 1st, if not the onus is on me.

I think more attention to sight picture with original sights will better the results down range.  Everything would have gotten a caribou, but some of the snowshoes would have squeaked by.  The other culprit is the day was just too nice, that I will take again.

TK

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 20 September 2018

.... after 16 years of no competition shooting and being derided and decrided by my expert amazingly good-shooting friends .... i am tickled that so many of our shoot-for-fun-and-the-heck-of-it  type fellows ( y gal ) here are having fun with the groundhog ....   seems a lot of funny things can happen when that whistle-pig runs out of the brush and stands up just daring ya for a quick shot ( or 10 ) .... one of mine ducked 6 inches left last spring ... 

ken

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 20 September 2018

Have you ever tried Quad sticks. These are basically a double cross stick popular among the game stalkers in the British Is. I used these ( I had to make a quick and dirty set first) as my plan B. They are definitely steadier than our traditional buffalo sticks as well as much more comfortable than prone.

Look them up on you tube. If you are struggling at 100, give them a try. We will argue whether or not they are legal next year but they are definitely a hunting tool and not a target rest.

Jim

Attached Files

.22-10-45 posted this 21 September 2018

I.m too late for this year..could you please post rules for the 100yd. Ground Hog & Bunny matches?  Thank you!

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 25 September 2018

.22-10-45

Sorry for the tardy response but I have been away on a prairie dog shoot for several days. First the Groundhog shoot has nothing to do with the Bunny Gun event. I believe the the Bunny Gun match is an official postal match. Start there perhaps. I can tell you the rules for that match are quite strict regarding the allowable rifles.

As opposed to that there are very few rules for the Groundhog shoot. This is also not a CBA sanctioned event. It is simply a fun shoot we do online. To date there have been two fifty yard matches - one each of the past two springs. This fall we are trying a 100 yard match with slightly more liberal rules. The results are not in yet so I can't say if this will become an annual event.

The best way to get the flavor is to look through the old grounhog shoot threads. In any event there won't be anything until next spring. Then we will gauge the interest and do another if there are enough participants.

Jim

Attached Files

longhunter posted this 25 September 2018

Thank you for making for a FUN match.

You made a comment sometime this summer about no AR's were being shot!  Little did you know what a challenge you would put up for me!

My targets are in and the AR did well.  I pulled out a couple of old friends also an 8 mm Stutzen from Germany.  I was stationed there back in the 80's. The #4 European Reticle made for tough shooting on the little Ground Hog. He is a fast mover! I also got out a couple of my 03's.  One scoped and one with Irons.  A good challenge.

Thanks again for the great shoot.  Both at 50 and 100 yards.

I'm already thinking of what to shoot next year.

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 25 September 2018

Jon

I look forward to seeing the score with your AR. I am not surprised you would be the guy to accept the challenge. 

I hope to shoot one more target with my iron sighted Henry single shot.  What the heck. This is not supposed to be easy is it?

Thank you for participating.

Jim

Attached Files

Millelacs posted this 26 September 2018

Shot mine yesterday, and mailed my target today.

Will have to think about cross sticks, or even those Quad sticks.

Attached Files

GWarden posted this 27 September 2018

Some pretty good targets coming in for the 100yd GH shoot.

Bob

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 27 September 2018

I'll help Jim out on a minor detail.

The Bunny Gun thing was in a trial year the first year. Due to a low turnout, it didn't make it into the "official" CBA Postal menu for 2018. One of the things that may have diffused interest was the complexity of the rules and the wide variety of match offerings. The Ground Hog event succeeded due to its non onerous rules, simplicity and flexibility. Look at how many people participated in the 50-yard GH event.....this just goes too show that we care less about "winning" and more about shooting fun!

Tom

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 27 September 2018

From what I understand its plain base bullets only from a field position, no bench rest. Is a stool and a set of cross sticks allowed? A new knee and hip plus a stomach that would have me wobbling around like a turtle on its back takes anything having to do with prone off the table.

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 27 September 2018

Pat: Don't worry about your score> I have last place all sewed up. Besides shooting all field positions un-aided and one with cross-sticks, I managed to gather some penalties from my own errant shots on the wrong target. But it was fun!

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 28 September 2018

pat i ...

in this fall 100 yard shoot, gas checks are fine ...   the earlier 50 yarders were plain-base only ...

position......    anything you would reasonably use in a wood's walk is ok .... down here in redneck country, that probably includes dragging along a car door ....cool ...  in fact, we can use probably anything but a nailed down bench rest ....

... be interesting if the groundhog shoots resulted in a great woods-walking device ... maybe jim's 4 .... or 8 ..... crossed sticks will be available from plans ..... heh .... i am thinking pvc pipe, about 2 inch .... light and stiff ....   this from me looking for a cheep tri/quad pod for my new amateur photography interest ...

ken

Attached Files

tlkeizer posted this 01 October 2018

Greetings fellow ground hog shooters,

Well, got my targets sent in, if I add all three together I should get a good score.  Actually, it was interesting in that I used a different bullet than the 50 yard shoot, and my groups did not do as well.  I will have to shoot both some day and compare both rifles; another reason to spend the day at the range.

My last groundhog was shot using a shooting stick my wife got me three days before I went to the range not knowing I was wanting to use one, love that lady.  My score was a bit better, and group was somewhat better than the first groundhog and way better than the second groundhog.  I noticed my group was slightly moved off the stick than when no stick was used.  I expected that, and adjusted accordingly.  However, that silly rodent wouldn't stand still for the stick either.  All the shots would have garnered a caribou easily, now I have to work on garnering a groundhog every shot.

I like the format of the shoot.  If any changes were considered, how about a combination of 50 & 100 yard shoot with both being shot the same day using the same loads and rifle?  Position optional like now.  Or, a 25 yard off-hand, 50 & 100 as now?  Or, let's keep it the way it is, I like the shoot.

Good luck hunting this fall all, hope to see some results on the forum and add one of my own this year.

TK

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 01 October 2018

TK

You attitude is perfect! I did not manage to get my third rifle shot yet --- but I will. It is too late to be an official entrant but I do intend to post the target here. The rifle is a break action single shot with iron sights. I do intend to hit the paper every time I hope. 

Input on the format is good. Two things we have learned is to keep it simple and to NOT allow too much time between signup and when the targets are due. Some of us don't have a very long attention span any more.

One question I have is do people have access to both an 100 yard and a 50 yard range on the same day? No all ranges allow the shorter distance on the 100 yard range. Alas too many years of Pfizers best has precluded me from shooting much offhand. 

But like you I like to shoot.

Jim

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 02 October 2018

it was rainy cold and miserable last weekend when the groundhogs finally came out ....   my scopes were fogging up and i forgot to lighten the trigger on my remmy 722 300 Sav. ....  3  lbs is way too much yankin when shootin off my hind legs ...  then the paper hogs got wet and crumpled and then next my cardboard target holder got wet and crumpled over  ....   

I LOVED IT !! ... just like coyote huntin ....    anybody for a casterated bullet coyote shoot at 200 yards ???     might even have to figure out a gas check load !!  would be my first gas check since 1987 !!   

thanks guys, this is about the only time i shoot my neat old m54 win. in 30-06 ... gotta get it out more .  wonder if it could hit a coyote at 200 ??

ken

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 02 October 2018

Good Morning:

Bob is leaving on an extended hunting trip tomorrow. If any of you  are late mailing in your targets, mail them to me and I will get them included in the summary. Send me a PM.

Jim

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close