Airguns give them a try

• 11K Views
  • Last Post 17 December 2015
linoww posted this 08 February 2014

This last two years I have been really having fun with my airguns.I had( like all of us) them as a kid and when trying to shoot small-bore had Diana 100's and 75's for awful-hand practice at home. I have set up home ranges from 10 meters to 100 yards.I shoot every day and am really going though the pellets. I have been shooting a high end Air Arms TX200 .177,RWS 48 and RWS 36.This last weekend I picke dup an older Crosman 760 with rifled barrel and a Crosman 1322 pistol carbine thing.Both of those are shooting quite well. The 760 with open sight shoots many 5 shots groups into 1” at 25 meters and the 1322 pump 22 shoot the same size groups at 15 yards.THose neat old American made airguns gunsare growing on me!I cant see myself shooting 22 LR much at ranges under 50 yards.These airguns do just fine. The TX and RWS 48 .177's shoot 3/4"-1/2” at 50 yards often enough not to be a surprise.it lets me save all of my 22 ammo as well until things free up. A few other CBA guys I know have also went to airguns like the Marauders and RWS 34 for offhand practice.

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John F.
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
John Alexander posted this 08 February 2014

Like you I have several air rifles they are especially good for being able to shoot where shooting is outlawed or inside a house.    My two favorites are a Beeman R-7 springer and a FX Timberwolf (Why air rifle and RV manufacturers give their products fierce names is a mystery.)

The  R-7 is amazingly accurate for a light weight springer but has enough power to take care of red squirrels and such.

I precharge the FX with a special hand pump which provides an aerobic workout and is good for about 80 shots.  Mine is a 22 and five shots usually make one lumpy hole at ten meters from a rest and will keep the squirrel population thinned at a greater distance.   Modern air rifles are fascinating machines. John

Attached Files

mike morrison posted this 09 February 2014

I bought a Quackenbush PCP last year 30cal. Since then I have learned a lot about air guns that I did not know. Amazed at the accuracy. Great to practice with. still learning. Small game and the performance is amazing. Check them out if you have not. m

Attached Files

Vassal posted this 09 February 2014

I had a cheap multi pump airgun as a youth. I begged my parents for the privilege and they obliged. It turns out, however they should have provided a bit of guidance about using the carbine safely. I quickly began to take aim at the siding along the garage and was never unamused by watching the small black dots and cracks appear. I also began my pursuit of long range accuracy by taking careful aim at the sliding glass door from across and through the woods. It was a wonder to see the whole thing glisten into white after my shot from such a distance.  In addition, after discovering that one pump to the rifle while using BB ammunition was good medicine for my brother's thigh, I decided eight pumps with a pointed filed pellet might also be great. He dropped in dramatic slow motion as if in a scene from an action film. While at the hospital having the pellet extracted from his back the police (a mandatory call in such matters) asked if they should come pick me up on the charge. My little brother insisted yes though my parents disagreed.                                      Thanks Mom and Dad.

Attached Files

mckg posted this 09 February 2014

Look for “Snypercat” videos, the best of youtube :).

?v=dSjxZTQ5Cg

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 09 February 2014

I have my Sheridan 5mm, a Daisy 777 pistol, an RWS 38, and another RWS 52 in .22. I'm pretty sure that the Daisy pistol is the most accurate hand gun that I own. I picked up the model 52 at Cabelas during a scratch and dent sale for 225.00 with a scope. SCORE! I bet I've killed 10 woodchucks with that thing. Shot them in the lungs like buffalo.

Attached Files

Vassal posted this 09 February 2014

Welp, I just picked up an air hawk,,, popped it off and it was pretty snappy the first two times or so but then I think it quieted down a bit,,, or my hearing just went off. I think I'll just use the plastic sights for now.

Attached Files

Paul Pollard posted this 09 February 2014

All this talk of snow and bad weather!

Chad and I decided to enter the matches. These are offhand shooting at scaled paper targets. We have been shooting 50-100 shots a day in our basements. My Marauder is .25 caliber and not legal, so have been shooting my 1980's era RWS 45 spring piston gun. Chad swapped the barrel on his Airforce Talon from .25 to .22 caliber. That's a nice feature of that rifle; three set screws and the barrel is changed. I rummaged around and found the airgun steel silhouette targets. In the spring, we'll take those out and try our luck.  After shooting off a bench for the last decade, this offhand stuff is harder than we thought.

Attached Files

Paul Pollard posted this 14 February 2014

Went to an away match last night. Drive time, 12 minutes for a round trip of 5 miles. Chad and I each shot a 40-shot offhand match. After that, we traded guns and compared triggers and how each shot differently. We both agreed that this type of shooting negates the need to lug around front and rear bags, cleaning rods and kits, wind flags and lunch, and it didn't take a tankful of gas. Basement temperature was a nice 68 degrees.

Rifle in a case, tin of pellets thrown in with a set of ear plugs. That's all we need.

Attached Files

Vacek posted this 14 February 2014

I have had a Feinwerbau 124 since 1977. It kept the freezer with plenty of bunnies back when the wife and I were trying to raise 3 little ones with a very tight budget.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 15 February 2014

I have .177 lead round BB's from Gammo. These shoot okay and are a little heavier than the skirted .177's (maybe?). I look for a .223” round ball mold for the other rifle on occasion and have had no luck. The only things close has been T-shot.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 17 February 2014

It looks like a bunch of us are going the airgun route.like Paul the no flags gear or casting sure make it relaxing.except now I have about $500 I'm pellets I am constantly testing.with my newly rebuilt Sheridan 5mm I am really appreciateing the older American guns.and today I got a Benjamin 397 pump in.177 cheap and am enjoying that one.

Attached Files

Maven posted this 17 February 2014

I have 2 Crosman pump style .22cal. airguns.  One is a single shot pistol, the other is a brass bbl.'ed rifle with a crude, but adjustable peep sight.  Both are surprisingly accurate out to 20 meters or so.  Btw, the triggers, though not adjustable, are quite good and much better than the factory one on my Ruger SBH.  Maybe I should think about using them a bit more now?

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 19 February 2014

I am fascinated by the big bore air rifles available now but what puts me off is the price. I can spend an awful lot on primers and powder for the difference in price between one those and my suppressed .32-20 Martini.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

j35nut posted this 23 February 2014

I have had a Sheridan 20cal about forever, recently bought a HW30s in .177 for awfull hand practice:D with out all the pumping. Both rifles are set up with Williams peep sights and the HW has a nice front globe with different insert's that's been a fun new experience for me.

------J

Attached Files

linoww posted this 23 February 2014

I am now trying to get an old daisy 99 target gun to shoot.e.its the boy scout one with peeps.its getting better once I added an o ring to the front to help center the tube and keep it from shifting.its gone from a 2” gun at 5 yards to sometimes 1/4".I still get the odd flyer but I am gaining on it.I bet I shot 200 bb's today trying to figure it out.I am giving it to a friend for his boys first gun and didn't want to frustrate them.

Attached Files

nimrod posted this 24 February 2014

With all of this interest in air rifles maybe next winter we could get a postal air rifle and air pistol postal match going? It's probably getting a little late for this year we should be getting some decent weather soon and people will be getting out but might be something to think about? RB

Attached Files

linoww posted this 24 February 2014

We would have to use pellet molds.

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 24 February 2014

linoww wrote: We would have to use pellet molds.

I know you're kidding but says who. As long as it's not CBA sanctioned we could use marbles if we wanted to. I know the ML matches say you have to use a CAST round ball but a lot of guys don't and as long as they're happy so am I. As a matter of fact I think I'll take that out of the rules for the upcoming year.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 24 February 2014

If I had to cast to shoot a pellet gun I wouldn't own one.that's why I like them lately,just a gun and a tin of pellets.good to know about the swaged balls for your matches.I have a bunch of .535 hornadys that shoot in my TC I can use.

Attached Files

nimrod posted this 24 February 2014

OH BOY! Here we go that's why I suggested this for next year by the time we get everybody satisfied with the rules it will be a next winter shoot.

I think that CBE has a .20 cal pellet mold maybe a 22 too, I can't imagine trying to cast a hollow base 14 grain pellet the .17 would be even less.:thinking:

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close