Zip Metals

• 5.3K Views
  • Last Post 17 April 2016
Pigslayer posted this 22 June 2014

Just found a site that sells bullet casting alloys & pure lead a fair amount cheaper than Rotometals. They also have chilled lead shot. Their shipping is cheaper too. It's called Zip Metals. There is a 30 lb. minimum though. Even at that, Rotometals was about $91.23 vs. Zip Metals at $73.69.      Rotometals - $2.50 per pound pure lead. Zip Metals - $1.99 per pound pure lead.   Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Duane Mellenbruch posted this 22 June 2014

http://www.zipmetals.com/>http://www.zipmetals.com/

For your shopping convenience.  Thanks Pat, nice for those folks in the SE part of the country.  Duane

Attached Files

coffeeguy2 posted this 23 January 2015

May I ask how critical it is that the alloy is certified? Reason I'm asking is that (and I know this thread is around a year old) is that scrap metal prices have come down considerably, and scrap lead can be had for around 80 cents per pound.

Still, it's nice to have multiple sources for anything; thanks for the heads-up!

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 23 January 2015

Coffeeguyalso,

There is so much contaminated lead “surplus” scrap, it is really a crap shoot as to what you are buying. With falling scrap prices, if they don't take back unless stuff, you are going to be stuck with it.

FWIW, Ric

Attached Files

coffeeguy2 posted this 23 January 2015

Ric,

You're right; I highly doubt the scrapyard workers are metallurgists and have mass spectrometers at their disposal. I might have missed the true substance of his question, paying the extra for certified alloy, which can be important...Pure, soft lead in the case of BP shooters, etcetera.

Attached Files

castrookie posted this 20 July 2015

Hi has anyone tryed zip metals if yes how good is the quality thanks 

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 21 July 2015

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=9143>castrookie

When a bullet alloy is certified by the seller, that means it is alloyed true to formula and guaranteed to be accurately made to the formula regardless of who is the seller. The certification is a standard. Just shop for price and service for certified alloys, the content quality is guaranteed constant from sellers of certified bullet alloys.

Gary

Attached Files

castrookie posted this 21 July 2015

Awesome thanks you have been wonderful to all of my questions thanks again :D

Attached Files

Bisley posted this 16 April 2016

Question: I see where they also sell boat ballast in 30 +/- pound ingots. Is this stuff safe to cast with it, or is that part of the gamble? I always thought that stuff would be a good buy, but not if it has zinc or whatnot.

Bisley

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 16 April 2016

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=4645>Bisley

Sailboat keels and ballast are cast of pure pig lead, 99% Lead, 1% unknown.  It can be in ingots or just pieces saw-cut from a keel that may have surface dirt. Sailboat keels and ballast weights are very expensive and crap metals will not be mixed in.

If you want pure lead, this stuff is good, except for the inconvenience of cutting big pieces up  to fit your pot.

Gary

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 16 April 2016

If you are a welder or know one.  The easiest way to break down large chunks of lead is with a oxy-acetylene torch.  You can the cutting head , a rosebud, or just a welding tip.  Put the lead up on bricks and your ingot mold just beneath it.  Start heating on the edge closest to the ingot mold and move the tip up and back as the lead begins to melt.  You will get a silver stream that runs down the gully in the chunk of lead right into your ingot mold.  Refill, Rotate, and Empty as needed. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 16 April 2016

It's kinda Redneck but out here in Idaho we file the rakers down on a worn chainsaw chain and just get after it. Short work to break down the big chunks. Gp

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 16 April 2016

gpidaho wrote: It's kinda Redneck but out here in Idaho we file the rakers down on a worn chainsaw chain and just get after it. Short work to break down the big chunks. GpYup, and the chips make a cool looking “chop shot".

Attached Files

Pentz posted this 17 April 2016

I've shot “tested” 25-1 isotope lead in my 32-20 CPA against certified 25-1. No comparison; you can feel the difference in the seating and on the target. For serious shooting certified is the way to go.

Attached Files

Close