.300 Blackout

• 20K Views
  • Last Post 23 September 2017
technojock posted this 07 November 2014

I have a .300 BLK H&R Handi rifle on order and I'd like to make some loads for it ASAP.  However I'm not finding a much in the way of load data for it.  Since the .300BLK isn't much bigger than the .30 Carbine, would it be OK to use .30 Carbine data as a starting point?

I have unique, red dot and 2400 that I can use and maybe a few others.  I have some 120g cast bullets meant for the .30 carbine and the I plan to use the molds I bought to cast .30-30 bullets to get me started.

Any recomendations?

Tony

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 07 November 2014

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=3524>technojock consider the mold specifically designed for your cartridge:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/938614/lee-2-cavity-bullet-mold-tl309-230-5r-30-caliber-309-diameter-230-grain-300-aac-blackout-tumble-lube-5-ogive-radius

Gary

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 07 November 2014

i do see that there are commercial loads for the 30 b.o. using 125 gr bullets .

the new 32-20 ? the new 30 carbine ? the new 32 H&R ?

at least there will be plenty of cheap brass, especially if you have a hacksaw and a 0.311 chucking reamer.

ken

ps: you would suppose that the spec throat might be  an inch of freebore; an lbt or loverin style bullet might work better for short bullets.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 07 November 2014

I hate to say the obvious but ---

If you use any loading data it should only be for bullets of the same weights.  If you try heavy bullets which seems to be the thing with the BO  like the one linked to in Gary's post do not use any recommendation for the 30 carbine which will all be much lighter bullets.

John

Attached Files

technojock posted this 07 November 2014

That's what I intended to do. My Lyman manual lists .30 carbine loads up to 130g bullets and that's enough to get me started.

Later on I hope to find data for cast bullets up to around 200 grains. Data for jacketed loads is pretty easy to come by but not for cast...

Tony

Attached Files

jhrosier posted this 08 November 2014

Tony, The .300 Blackout has been around for a dozen or so years, but under other names. The cartridge started as the .300 Whisper. That name was copyrighted so the cartridge was called the .30-221 to get around the copyright. The .30-221 evolved into the .30-223 to allow the use of more common .223/5.56 brass without the need to reduce the neck thickness by turning. The .30 Blackout was originally offered as the .30 AAC Blackout.All of these named cartridges are nearly identical in dimensions and could probably use each others' loading data without any problem. The available load data is distinguished mainly by whether the velocity is above or below the speed of sound.  Jack

Attached Files

technojock posted this 08 November 2014

I'm aware of the history of the 7.62x35 and since it's been around this long, why is load data so hard to find?

Tony

Attached Files

mike morrison posted this 08 November 2014

Lee 200gr gc. sized to .311  using data2200 gives moa if I do my part. I have not tried lighter wt bullets. Have a 247gr mould but the 12 twist will not allow it to shoot well. your handi should be a faster twist. good luck it is a fun round.

Attached Files

technojock posted this 08 November 2014

I think the Handi is 1 in 10 twist but I'm not sure.

I was going through my Hornady manual (8th) and what do you know but the .300 Whisper is listed in the handgun section. There's a bunch of good data using some of the powders I actually have...

I'm kinda tapped out right now and it'll likely be spring before I get any new molds...

Tony

Attached Files

JSH posted this 08 November 2014

Do a search for 30-20 and the 30-221. Both will work in the blackout, which is supposed to be a better mouse trap of sorts. If you can't find any data specifically for cast use jacketed. I use aa9/wc820 with 155-200 grainers. You need info contact me would be happy to help. Jeff

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 08 November 2014

My XP-100 and RPM XL are both chambered in .30 Silhouette. Years ago this was also known as......30 Juras, .30 Apache, .30/223, etc. It is built on a 223 Rem case necked up to .30 cal.

Using a 180-grain LBT CB I've found that 17 of 4759, 19 Re-7, 25 of N-135 and 10 of 4756 worked. Using a 160 back off on all of those a bit.

Tom

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 09 November 2014

tom ... back off powder charge for lighter bullets ?

ken

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 09 November 2014

Ken,

Usually you can up the charge with a lighter bullet but I was trying for less recoil in the 10 1/2” barreled RPM. The bullet is that newer one that Ed Harris had a hand in designing offered in a group buy over on the mis-spelled site. A multy cavity aluminum mould by Heavy Metal (I think). Eventually 15 of 4759 worked.

Tom

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 15 November 2014

Based on my experience loading for the 7.62x39, RL7 should be about optimum for the .300 AAC Blackout and you can probably just fill the case. But unless you have a barrel of twist faster than 8” I would not expect very good results with the elongated 240-grain Lee bullet at subsonic velocity.   A shorter bullet such as #311299 shoots accurately in a .30-'06 with ten-inch twist barrel at subsonic velocities with 6 grains of Bullseye, without the GC. The NOE clone of #314299 works well for me in the .303 British with similar loads and in '03 Springfield and Winchester 54 .30-'06s with worn barrels.

If you don't need subsonic loads for use with a suppressor, a bullet of about 160 grains shoots flatter and has more general application.   See the thread on a Group Buy for a re-run of the Ed Harris .312-160 grain bullet for some proposed dimensions I've put up for comments.

Rather than repeating my previous design which was optimized for the 7.62x39 and worn .30s needing “fat” bullets, I'm suggesting to AL at NOE that we make the bullet to fit the AAC Blackout chamber and this should also have general application for the majority of existing .30 cal. rifles out there.

Discussion is welcome.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

technojock posted this 15 November 2014

Thanx Ed.  That's the kind of info I was looking for.  Can you suggest any Red Dot loads for ant weight bullets?

I have the Red Dot loads saved that you Posted on Fidonet many moons ago but this .300 Blackout is a whole other cat to skin...

Tony

Attached Files

18mm posted this 27 February 2015

AA1680, N200, R7, AA2200......low to mid teens with 160 to 180's. It's almost necessary to improvise on this cartridge but these four powders are a good starting point and in my opinion, the sweet spot. Do not go slower in burn rate. I want to add others but I haven't done any testing with powders other than those four. 2200 is equal to N200

Attached Files

18mm posted this 27 February 2015

Low to mid teens in grain weight.........sorry

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 27 February 2015

My Handi Blackout just got in yesterday and is the advanced armament AAC Blackout 1 in 7 should be interesting with cast. Built for long, heavy bullets. Will pick it up Monday and start the measurements. I have a lot of 30cal. J words to use up and this might be the place to get them used. Ordered the Lee 220gr BO 5R mould so that's where I'll start. GP

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 27 February 2015

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=8045>gpidaho

The Lee 300 AAC mold is made on Lee's new mold block design with the round locator pins and very well made.  Even with my many decades casting experience, the mold was not easy to get started for me. The bullets are very long, so mold temperature and pot temp needed to be a bit hotter than I expected to get good fill out.

I suggest you cast hot enough so that you get a velvety or slightly frosted appearance to your bullets. If you cast shiny bullets with this mold, the fill out will be incomplete and diameter will also be low.

I have cast this bullet in Lyman #2 alloy and also in 2% antimonial lead from jacketed pistol scrap. Both alloys worked fine but took very different temperatures. For me, this worked out to 725 F. for the #2 alloy and 750 F. for the antimonial alloy. I cast fast enough to drop bullets 3 times a minute. I use an outboard PID for pot temperature control.

I tried both alloys subsonic in 7.62X39 and I tried the harder #2 alloy at 2,000 fps in 30-06. bullets were size throat diameter for each application.  The only surprise was that, personally, I got the best accuracy with the #2 alloy subsonic, 975 fps using H TiteGroup and no gas check in 7.62X39. I get consistent 5 shot groups less than 1/2 ” at 50 yards with the subsonic load and murdered several squirrels with the load from my Remington Spartan single shot 7.62X39.

Gary

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 27 February 2015

Thanks for the info Gary, this is going to be a very interesting cal. to work with. I've never pored a boat tail before, would just as soon have had it flat based. This Handi has a 16” barrel and is threaded for a suppressor (headed that way) Am seriously looking at the Noe 247gr mould for subsonics but want to gather a little experience with a $20 dollar mould before springing for $s will let you all know how it goes. I'm guessing this rifle has a very long free bore as in the Whisper, we'll see. As always help and suggestions appreciated. GP

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 28 February 2015

Blackout Guys: Matt Overadge(sp) goes by Grumpa at Boolits forms and anneals BO from .223 at a very reasonable price if you don't want to go the “Do it your self route” Lake City brass. GP

Attached Files

Duane Mellenbruch posted this 28 February 2015

This is an update from the Cast Boolits forum vendor link. Matt is going to be shut down for a week for surgery, but will be back at it when he can.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?270258-Shut-down-for-at-least-a-week

Decent guy to work with and takes care of business. Duane

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 30 July 2015

I tested 4 different bullets with 4-5 different powders last fall.  I am not interested in subsonic so I was staying in the 1350 to 1500 fps velocity range.  I tried reloader 7 for close to 200 rounds.  I like it but think that it may be somewhat slow for the 300 BLK.  1680 did not work well for me and I have reserved H110 for jacketed bullets.  I also dabbled with unique and a few loads of red dot.  I finally settled on IMR 4759 after about 500 rounds.  While I was able to shoot an occasional 1” group, the last 75 rounds yielded an aggregate of about 1.5-1.75” with 3 different bullets (165 GR TO 185 GR). Well its a new year and 4759 is no longer available.  I am going to try AA9 (hard to get) and probably LT-30.  I still wish Rx7 had worked a little better but its very hard to get also.  I am out of 2400 but if I had it on hand, I would definitely try it. I guess I never said this, but I am shooting a bolt gun.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 30 July 2015

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=7904>JHS

Consider H TiteGroup for your 300BO. It has no ignition sensitivity problems at all, burns clean and Low ES throughout the range subsonic to MAX.

Gary

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 31 July 2015

I'm really starting to like the 300 Blackout. I was a little worried at first about the 1in7 twist with cast but it hasn't been any problem so far. Most loads so far have been in the 1450-1700fps but just loaded a few 230s today with 12.8 RL7 will see how close these are to sonic tomorrow. My Rock River AR NEEDS a new upper, I'm kind of leaning toward the 30 Wilson, any of you have one? Gp

Attached Files

358156hp posted this 01 August 2015

I've been looking at the Wilson 7.62X40 myself, but really want more horsepower yet. The 30 HRT looks good, but requires 30 Rem brass to make. 6.8 SPC might work, but I never compared the case lengths to make certain. The big problem is that 223 brass is cheap, 30 Rem brass is not, and nobody offers commercial 30 HRT brass.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 02 August 2015

GaryDo you have any thoughts on the load range for Titegroup with a 170 gr boolit?Jim

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 02 August 2015

JHS Get more recommendations than just from me. My loads are with 7.62X39 that has more capacity than the 300BO.  TiteGroup is not fussy to case volume, So this will be close.

7-8 gr Titegroup gives me 1150 fps with the Lee 150 gr FNGC in 7.62X39 my Lee is honed to drop .3125". Try 6 grains to start in the 300 BO with a 170 gr bullet and use a chronograph.

Check with Hodgdon first. Email or call Hodgdon Technical. They frequently add loads using TiteGroup as they are highly promoting TiteGroup for its safe ignition characteristics in light charges. My most accurate light load for squirrel in X39 is the Lee TL314-90-SWC sized .312” with 2.9 gr TiteGroup at 1160 fps.

NOTE: barrel length is very relevant to velocity in the 300BO with TiteGroup. The Chronograph is really needed to start. My Remington Spartan single shot barrel length is 24” in X39. 

Gary

Attached Files

badammo posted this 10 August 2015

I have been using Lyman 311672 160 gr. gas checked. Round loaded with 15gr. H4198. It shoots very well, I havent chronographed it yet but it rings 8” swinger at 200 meters.

Attached Files

badammo posted this 10 August 2015

I have bought brass from this company and he has great service. 1000 pieces for $100. http://gcgbrass.myshopify.com/

Attached Files

technojock posted this 20 September 2017

I recently bought a Lee bullet mold meant for .32 revolvers.  With the alloy I have on hand, it drops 87g .310" bullets.  I tumble lubed some and sent other out to a friend to be powder coated.  I started with 3 grains of Red Dot and worked down to 2.0 grains.  I've seen no signs that I'm going to stick a bullet in the bore and so far I've shot about 100 with 2.0g of Red Dot.  The accuracy is good at 50 yards but I don't recall the exact measurement of the group size.

The friend that powder coated some of them for me chronographed this load at 760 FPS.  I was trying for a quiet and subsonic plinking load and I think I nailed it.  I'm not sure how much 2g of Red Dot cost but I don't see center-fire shooting getting any cheaper...

While I haven't noticed any accuracy difference between 2.0 and 3.0 grains of Red Dot, my friend found that 3.0g gave tighter groups in his rifle.

Tony

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 20 September 2017

technojock   That low of pressure/velocity doesn't need lube as lead is a lubricious metal by itself and you don't have enough pressure or velocity to stick it to steel at 760 fps unless your fit is small and they wobble down the bore. Try pure lead or reclaimed jacketed bullet scrap that generally is 98% Lead with 2% antimony and zero lube. That was recommended twice to me on this forum, but I didn't try that when I was working on my 7.62X39 squirrel load with the Lee 32 cal 90 gr SWC at 1160 fps with 2.9 gr TiteGroup because I wanted a velocity similar to 22 RF and my bullets hard enough to carry in the pocket for my single shot Remington Spartan, But If I went as low as you are I would shoot them bare and not worry. I tumble lube once for my squirrel load with White's Deluxe 45:45:10 and they are cast in #2.   Gary

Attached Files

technojock posted this 20 September 2017

Unless they're more likely to stick with Alox, I think I'll continue to lube them. That way I can load them in warmer loads too without having to segregate them..  I went back and looked at the info my friend sent me and he was getting 900 FPS with 2.5g and 1050 with 3.0g of Red Dot.   Perhaps it would be better to up the load .5g?

The bore slugged out right at .308 and the bullets are .310.  The first batch of 50 I sized to .309 but now I don't bother.

I'm also considering these for squirrels but there aren't that many around Western Oregon... So for the most part I'm shooting paper and other plinker type targets.

Tony

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 20 September 2017

technojock

My 90 gr SWC load at 1160 fps in X39 does fine with gray squirrels and the black ones that are about 50% bigger here in WNY.. I can hit heads at 50 yards, but a chest vital works fine too. Our woodchucks topple at 50 yards too. Large snapping turtles heads are small but the load will go right through the shell too. I wasn't so lucky on racoon, one I hit with the load took 3 head shots to kill. It didn't surprise me though, they are tough to kill. I have also taken numerous Chipmunks with the load and they explode with a chest shot worse than with a .22RF HPs  The Coyote here are small for the species and I haven't taken one with the load yet, but I wouldn't pass up one at 50 yards. I generally hunt them with 12 ga cast "O" Buck anyway. The X39 squirrel load is exceptionally inexpensive and accurate for me and my Remington Spartan is a beauty with my show finish, trigger work and good optics.It has a 24" fluted barrel that is chrome lined and loves cast bullets better than jacketed.

Gary

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 20 September 2017

Two  years ago when I was experimenting with the 300 Blackout, I tried 5-6 gr of 2400 behind a 130 gr FNGC. This load shot very well at 50 yards and ok at 100. I also tried unique which did not shoot as well for me.  The load utilizing 2400 was not subsonic but it did provide another level of power for slightly larger game. 

Since the 300 Blackout case is basically a handgun case as far as capacity I was always puzzled by the fact that a light load of 2400 shot better than what would be considered a midrange load of unique. FWIW

Jim

Attached Files

technojock posted this 22 September 2017

When I first got the rifle, I tried 150g flat nosed bullets from the Mo bullet company but I couldn't get them to shoot straight.  I had better luck with 150g plated bullets but since then I have decided not to pursue larger game with it.  There's way too many coyotes around here but I only see them in town.  I've also had good results with 110g cast bullets meant for the .30 Carbine but off the top of my head I don't remember how much Unique I used...

The .300 Blackout is a good round for cheap shooting with cast bullets.  A friend sent me some seriously long powder coated bullets that must be over 220 grains.  I've yet to try them...

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 22 September 2017

I have a mold for a 230 gr Blackout bullet. It really hasn't worked out for me as I have very little interest in subsonic loads.  I am not sure what I was thinking when I ordered the mold. I have mostly used the 312 160 gr FN designed for the 7.65X39. In general short for their weight FN bullets have been the easiest to get to shoot well but of course they rarely feed well so the rifle is pretty much reduced to single shot status.

Jim

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 22 September 2017

I have a Thompson Contender pistol/barrel chambered in 300 Whisper. Rifling is 1-10 twist and 8 grooves. Free bore length .200, free bore diameter .309.. This should work very well with lighter weight bore riding bullets...I hate too much recoil. 

Sorry I have never test this gun with cast.

300 Whisper brass is made by expanding 221 Fireball brass (thin necks). Chamber neck is cut smaller diameter.

300 Blackout brass is made by trimming down 223 brass (thick necks). Chamber neck is cut larger diameter

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 22 September 2017

I appear to be a man ahead of my time.  Nearly 20 years ago I have a .22RF Martini converted to CF and a SMLE barrel fitted to it trimmed to 18 inches fitted with an over barrel suppressor and chambered in .32-20.  It will shoot 100-220gr bullets at whatever I send them down range at.  Mostly it is loaded with 115gr at 1050fps for rabbits/hares or similar weight at full noise .32-20 fps. 

Rimmed Blackout.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

technojock posted this 22 September 2017

I have one of those rifles too.  Mine is the one with the built in receiver peep sight.  I had it converted to K-Hornet many years ago but the smith that did the firing pin conversion was a moron and it broke after about 50 shots.  I still haven't gotten it fixed.  The plan now is when I get the firing pin fixed to rebarrel it to .256 Win. 

I've heard it before and agree that the .300 Blackout is a modern recreation of the .32.20.

I envy you in NZ for the no BS use of suppressors.  Hopefully that will change for us soon.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 23 September 2017

Jeff

Do you have any difficulty with fouling when using your suppressor with cast bullets. My 300 Blackout has a threaded barrel and my suppressor is on order so I am curious.

Jim

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 23 September 2017

Jeff

Do you have any difficulty with fouling when using your suppressor with cast bullets. My 300 Blackout has a threaded barrel and my suppressor is on order so I am curious.

Jim     

Hi Jim.  I use a rather soft lube so the fouling is not so bad.  It generally wipes off fairly easily.  Alox was a different story. 

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Close