Poison Sumac Gunstock stain

• 4.4K Views
  • Last Post 10 March 2015
onondaga posted this 30 November 2014

Hunted Deer with grandsons this morning, saw some but no shots. 11/30/2014

I will use my home made Sumac Stain for the stock of a Flintlock kit on the way and couldn't resist gathering some poison Sumac fruit pods for my stock stain. This is my original stain idea and I just thought I would like the color. I have done this several times on Muzzle Loader stocks. Color is a dark colonial red maple.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
sfoster posted this 30 November 2014

It is my understanding that Japanese service rifles such as the Type 38 and Type 99 Arisaka(s) used a stain and/or finish that was taken from plants related to poison sumac. Removing this finish has caused some to have a mild to moderate allergic reaction.

I look forward to following your efforts. Great idea, and good luck.

Sean

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 02 December 2014

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=852>sfoster

Sean, I am clearing a work area to begin here in my DINING ROOM! I live in a modest apartment with no shop area. My hobby room for reloading has no open work bench area so I will be monopolizing my dining room table for a while with kit building.

Gary

Attached Files

jhalcott posted this 03 December 2014

I thought poison Sumac was dangerous to people! It is supposed to cause a reaction like poison Ivy or oak, at least that is what I was told. I was also led to believe it does not grow in Maryland

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 03 December 2014

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=1251>jhalcott

There is not just one Poison Sumac variety, there are a number of varieties. The one in my New York is actually the least toxic,  My pods are drying on the radiator in my dining room and I'll make my stain in 2 weeks.

The most toxic plant we have in New York is in the wild carrot family and called Giant Hogweed. Hogweed flowers similar to Queen Ann's Lace but is always much taller, about 5-8 feet tall. The Hogweed toxin makes your skin super-sensitive to ultra violet rays of the sun and your skin will severely burn for over 2 years upon direct sun exposure and the burns frequently become infected. I have suffered from Hogweed and it is  a terrible nightmare. I had it on left shin, thigh and left forearm for two full summers with infections and burns. Nasty stuff, dozens of times worse than poison ivy or oak.

New York State has a training program for utility workers to learn to identify Hogweed and they notify state DEC crews that come and incinerate the  Hogweed. It is a serious concern in New York. A major concern is also that Hogweed is easily weaponized.

Gary

Attached Files

Steppapajon posted this 18 February 2015

I believe the berries of the poison sumac are white. My grandmother used to make a lemonade like drink from the red berry sumac. Tart and tasty. I miss all the things she never got to teach me about the old ways. Sad to think some have been lost forever.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 18 February 2015

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=8738>Steppapajon

I have since completed the build and the Sumac stain worked well:

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 18 February 2015

pretty !!

Attached Files

357Maximum posted this 23 February 2015

Gary

Pretty rifle...but.....That there be .....STAGHORN SUMAC. Nothing poison about it. You can make tea from them there berries and drink it. The bark is also a preferred food of the cottontail rabbit in the winter months.

EDIT:  I know how you like details so I went and looked up the scientific name up for ya, it is Rhus typhinia

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 23 February 2015

I am aware of that specific low toxicity and mentioned that the variety in my area of New York is the least toxic. Some people are very sensitive even to this specific Sumac. I am generally very sensitive to toxic plants, but this one does not cause any reaction to me.

The big round bushes have long tropical looking  leaves and many people find them decorative enough that they are purposely planted for landscape decoration in Western New York.  I find them prettier and much hardier than Yucca. The winter dormant plants with no leaves and just the big seed pods left in the dead of winter are still an attractive plant. The pods will stain your skin, so I only touch them to gather them and put them into the grinder.

Gary

Attached Files

357Maximum posted this 23 February 2015

One does not need plant STAGHORN SUMAC in the Mid Michigan clay soils I have. They just show up in almost any fallow ground. I like em as it gives the rabits something to eat other than the trees/shrubs I payed money for. The fact that they are a nice looking shrub with brilliant fall color is just a bonus.

Poison sumac is an entirely different beast.....Toxicodendron vernix

Attached Files

Steppapajon posted this 24 February 2015

That made for a beautiful stain Gary!:dude:I need to try that on something myself. 

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 24 February 2015

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=8738>Steppapajon

My Sumac stain is odd stuff to handle. It's consistency is like a very thick porridge made of crimson grits.

I apply it to wood with a cotton gause pad and latex gloved hand. I just glop it on and rub it in leaving a lot of glop in blobs on the wood. Allow to dry 24 hours. thoroughly brush off loose dry Sumac. wood is ready for finish. I used 10 coats hand rubbed Birchwood Casey TruOil per product instructions.

Let me know how it works for you and pictures too!

Gary

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 03 March 2015

I hate poison sumac!!!!!!!!! It'll give me blisters the size of quarters!!!!

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

fRANK46 posted this 10 March 2015

I was clearing out some vines at my old home on Long Island. And yep you guessed it. Had the worst case of poison whatever the nurse in the emergency room had seen in a long time. Wouldn't even let me sit in the waiting room. That was a bunch of years and still have the scars from the blisters today. Now living here in Louisiana and did manage to get the itchy scratchy stuff all over again. I think once you get it, it makes you more sensitive and easier to get.Luckily for me I have become somewhat more adapt at looking where I go and have been lucky these last few years. Frank

Attached Files

Close