Break open exposed hammer Pistol & Rifle

• 4.2K Views
  • Last Post 17 March 2016
shootcast posted this 15 January 2015

Welcome all, Just a poll to see if interest exist for a new postal event class. Your thoughts and suggestions wanted.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
R. Dupraz posted this 15 January 2015

This question has come up before with regard to adding a new class for these types in regular CBA competition. I'm thinking mainly of the Contender pistol.

The more I think about it, the more I think it would be fun and interesting, depending on what the rules were.

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 15 January 2015

Personally I think that it would be a great idea.  Any event that generates more shooting is a good idea.  The only question is: Do we have enough break open gun shooters to make it worth while and who is going to manage the matches? Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 16 January 2015

I'll play. I have a few (!) H&Rs. By the way, do you guys know they've discontinued the accessory barrel program? I'm bummed, it was a cheap way to get a new toy.

Attached Files

muley posted this 18 January 2015

Welcome aboard, I didn't rcoginize the handle . working with the T/C and 44mag. keep shooting . I know u are improving.

Attached Files

cba_admin posted this 22 February 2016

muley wrote: Welcome aboard, I didn't recoginize the handle . working with the T/C and 44mag. keep shooting . I know u are improving. Muley - shootcast is none other than the world famous Dave Federline.  Probably the worlds expert on casting and loading for TC pistols and rifles.

Attached Files

Dutch4122 posted this 22 February 2016

I'd participate.  Got a bunch of H&R's and a few Contender barrels.

Attached Files

nimrod posted this 22 February 2016

I might play if there was a rifle class I have an Encore .223 that I would like to try cast in someday.

RB

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 22 February 2016

I have an Encore rifle in 25-20.  I am in if rifles are part of this. Jim

Attached Files

max503 posted this 22 February 2016

I shoot a 30-30 Contender.

Attached Files

Hamish posted this 22 February 2016

Interested.

Attached Files

shootcast posted this 22 February 2016

Please don't slander me that way! I do try and I 'm having fun. Please bring your break opens out and join in. Thanks , Dave

Attached Files

mike0841 posted this 22 February 2016

shootcast wrote: Please don't slander me that way! I do try and I 'm having fun. Please bring your break opens out and join in. Thanks , Dave Davey - who's slandering you.  I'm just showing you the admiration and deference you deserve.

Mike

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 22 February 2016

shootcast wrote:  Welcome all, Just a poll to see if interest exist for a new postal event class. Your thoughts and suggestions wanted. Definitely good.

I'd like to use a TC in 7tcu and  a H&R in 20ga rifled.

Thanks, Tim K

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 23 February 2016

I have a contender , but only 38 .357 and 22Hornt barrels.  I'd like to play as well. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

corerf posted this 23 February 2016

Im in depending on rules, if custom barrels are allowed, meaning NOT TC factory barrels. Id be forced out, I don't have a factory TC barrel for anything. Only bullberry bbl's.

Attached Files

nimrod posted this 23 February 2016

I've been wondering when this would come up easy two classes “Factory", rules taken from the Hunter class as long as it is a production part from the factory of the manufacturer good to go. “Open” Class = anything and everything else?

RB

Attached Files

shootcast posted this 23 February 2016

To everyone reading. In the next fouling shot will be a small article about this class. (BOXH ) For this year and depending on participation we only have one class each. Pistol and rifle. Shoot your break open exposed hammer firearm as is or with any alterations. Contact Mike Kastning CBA postal for your targets. I will try to answer individual questions if you have any. Thanks and please give it a try. 

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 23 February 2016

shootcast:

So if I read you right then, the requirements for LRH and Hunter pistol don't apply. The only rule will be that the pistol needs to be break open and have an exposed hammer. Right?

I intend to participate if I can learn how to shoot one of those bloody pieces again.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 23 February 2016

r.d.

how to operate:;

break open pull hammer back load chamber close pull trigger .

hope this helps .

ken

based on group size, this should allow my ruger ones against the contenders ... and i get to shoot from 50 yards ...

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 23 February 2016

Hey Ken:

Thanks for the advice. But that's what I have been doing! And it's not working. And am getting a little tired of all the snickering and finger pointing by the rest of the nimrods on the line when they see my targets.

Attached Files

mike0841 posted this 23 February 2016

Ken Campbell Iowa wrote: r.d.

how to operate:;

break open pull hammer back load chamber close pull trigger .

hope this helps .

ken

based on group size, this should allow my ruger ones against the contenders ... and i get to shoot from 50 yards ... Sorry Ken,

Ruger #1's are falling block not break open.  Break open has the barrel attached to the frame by a hinge pin.  Sorry you are out of luck.  We might let you use it but only if it is 45-70, .458 Win Mag, 9.3x74mmR or 450/400 Nitro Exp using 500gr or larger cast bullets with maximum loads.  With those loads 'if' you hit the nine ring you will probably get an x.  OH, and no shoulder pads allowed.

Also the order of operation is:

break open Load chamber close cock hammer sight on target squeeze trigger.

To cock the hammer before closing a TC with a loaded chamber could possibly lead to some very weird happenings.

Mike

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 23 February 2016

hah mike... ok ...geepers you are right about my ruger 3 in 45-70 with hot 500 gr. loads ...a 6 tylenol pain...blurry vision ...sore jawbone ...

hey i bet a shoulder-to-shoulder with contenders would be fun to watch ...” hey i pulled the trigger and my catridge jumped out ... ” ..

just kidding ...

ken

Attached Files

shootcast posted this 24 February 2016

Yes, apply for your targets as BOXH in either pistol or rifle. The next postal will be match 6 and 6a in the postal match schedule . They are not listed as BOXH we are just following these matches at this time. If enough interest exist we may have our own listing next year.Our rules for this year is simply shoot your pistol or rifle anyway you want it. Follow the distance (100yd.) and time requirements. Mail your targets back to Mike Kastning by the deadline date. Have fun, hope this helps.

Attached Files

Dutch4122 posted this 24 February 2016

Glad to hear this class will get a chance. Now I just have to decide which H&R. Maybe the .357 Maximum.....

Attached Files

ballistim posted this 24 February 2016

Dutch4122 wrote: Glad to hear this class will get a chance. Now I just have to decide which H&R. Maybe the .357 Maximum........ or I'm thinking a .357 Maximum Encore :-)

Attached Files

rjmeyer314 posted this 25 February 2016

Would a Remington rolling block qualify?

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 25 February 2016

I may need to rethink a bit as to competitive shooting, at least the postal matches. I do have eight H&R Handis and three TC Encores. Sounds like a fun class to shoot. Gp

Attached Files

Paul Pollard posted this 01 March 2016

Went out yesterday to sort out the TC carbine. Mostly forgot how to prep cases and load properly. Trim-to-length is critical and prevents all those misfires! It didn't seem like 50 degrees when there's a 20 mph wind.

Attached Files

Paul Pollard posted this 17 March 2016

At the range today. Wind 24 mph, gust to 38 mph. Struggled to get 1.9” agg with LT30 powder. With H4198, 2.3” agg. These were 5 shot groups, 9 with LT30 and 5 with H4198. These powders are close to the same burn rate, meter the same weight in grains, and chronograph the same velocity for the same charge weight.  TC Contender carbine, 256 win mag, Eagan MX3-25 cast of linotype weighing 95 grains.

They reacted  very differently in the wind. I had to drop the charge down on H4198 about 2 grains to keep the wind from blowing it all over the place (a little less all over the place). With H4198 at 2200 fps, it was more wind sensitive than when reduced to 1900-2000 fps. The LT30 shot okay from 2200 to 2000 fps.

Attached Files

Close