Cheap Target Receiver Idea

• 4K Views
  • Last Post 06 April 2015
OU812 posted this 27 March 2015

I was looking thru my new Sinclair catalog and noticed a long range target rifle that looked different. The rear section of bull barrel appeared to be sleeved and clamped to stock. Much different than a barrel screwed into an expensive Stolle action. My cheaper Remington receiver would bolt right up and work just as well as more expensive actions.  

Here is a drawing

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Longone posted this 27 March 2015

What page?

Longone

Attached Files

Longone wrote: What page?

Longone Page 176 of 2015-A catalog

Attached Files

Maybe you can see it here

Attached Files

Longone posted this 27 March 2015

The barrel is still threaded to the action, the action and barrel (forward of the block) are free floated. The block clamps to the barrel and is usually glued (epoxied) to the stock. The top and bottom halves of the block are screwed together. This arrangement is pretty common on “rail guns” shot at 1000 yds. http://www.pa1000yard.com/images/pdisp.php?pic=458&qual=D>http://www.pa1000yard.com/images/pdisp.php?pic=458&qual=D    http://www.pa1000yard.com/images/pdisp.php?pic=526&qual=D Longone

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 28 March 2015

I have seen those massive chunks of aluminum on huge 1000 yard rifles. Maybe someone out there makes a smaller and more streamlined version. Maybe a could free float the Remington receiver also?

Attached Files

Longone posted this 28 March 2015

The stock needs some more girth where the lower part of the block is epoxied into it, basically you are balancing the barrel and action with that block.

There was a fellow out in PA. some years back that had the stock made from a block of Corian, that was pretty neat to see.

Longone

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 28 March 2015

It also appears that the scope rail is mounted to block and not to receiver. It would be nice to have a titanium version of this. The heavy barrel and receiver as unit could easily be changed out for caliber change.

Lets do this.....call China. Maybe they can make an affordable unit (BR stock and titanium clamp $100.00)

Attached Files

OK, but your going to fire it first!!!!!

Longone

Attached Files

I do actually think that the scope is attached to that block and attached to the receiver. At least that is how it looks to me.

Longone

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 28 March 2015

heh i barrel-blocked my fn mauser in 257 weatherby ... varmint/coyote rifle.

milled out the blocks top y bottom , then sandwiched the barrel with cap screws . worked fine, a little ugly .

the mauser actions are a little rattly compared to the rem. 700 . mausers are good for 1/2 moa ...0.1 moa not so much .

also, barrel bedding is a common approach to bedding a ruger 10-22 , usually glue-in, but blocks also.

in fact i am seriously thinking about barrel bedding my fun little ruger hornet ,

ken

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 30 March 2015

The block/clamp would allow quick easy barrel /recoil lug/receiver change. Stiff scope rail is attached to top of block. Clamp/block is bedded and bolted to a stiff laminated wood stock. Both the barrel and receiver are free floated.

Attached Files

muley posted this 05 April 2015

check the Fouling Shot no 233 on page 233-23 and see the setup Mel Harris uses on his

Unristricted Pistol, give u some ideas.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 06 April 2015

The rifle in picture (4th post) is a 1000 bench rest rifle with McMillan Tooley MBR stock. I would like to build a scaled down version to compete in CBA matches...maybe it will shoot as well as it looks. I must join CBA and get rule book.

https://www.mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-rifle-stocks/benchrest-stocks-tooley-mbr/

Attached Files

Here is a 3 part video showing how to make a barrel block. Part 2 is most interesting.

?v=eIJD3W85Ido

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 06 April 2015

The CBA 2014 rules of competition are on our website.  The 2015 version should be out in about a month but it won't change anything about putting together a rifle.  However, joining the CBA is still a good idea and I can send you an application form if that would be helpful.

John 

Attached Files

I printed one out from CBA site. The check is in the mail.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 06 April 2015

Welcome to the CBA. Glad to have another member and potential article writer for the Fouling Shot. John

Attached Files

Close