Bullets & Loads for 25-35

• 4.8K Views
  • Last Post 14 November 2016
John Alexander posted this 11 June 2015

I have an friend who has a 25-35 he would like to shoot and is interested in cast bullets.  I have a 25-20 type 85 grain mold so could supply some of those.  Is there an appropriate mold on the market for something nearer the original 117grain bullets that works well?

What loads have been found to work for plinking, hunting?

Any special things to look out for except the no pointed bullet thing?

Any experience specifically with the 25-35?

Thanks.

John

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
6pt-sika posted this 11 June 2015

Lyman 257325 RNGC bullet originally designed for the 25 REM . I had a 25-36 Marlin that's about the same thing as a 25-35 . Bullet worked great in my Marlin . I also had NEI cut me a mold that I cannot remember the number of . The 257325 is a touch hard to come by now but they pop up occasionally . I first got a single cavity and then a double cavity . I had plans of HPing the single but never did . Sorry to say I've sold or traded them both off now .

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 11 June 2015

i think i have a rcbs 120 gr 2 cav i am not using right now ... will ship it up to cast a few to see if his twist can handle it. if interested i will try to dig it out of my stash .

ken

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 11 June 2015

Sorry, load table lost format when I tried to import it, the source article is co-hosted here:

http://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharris/articles/25-35WCF.htm>http://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharris/articles/25-35WCF.htm http://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharris/articles/2535winchestertests.htm>http://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharris/articles/2535winchestertests.htm With 120-grain GC 18-20 grs. of 4198, 20-22 grs. of RL7 or 24-26 grs. of 3031 or 4895 work well.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 12 June 2015

Ken --  If I hadn't sold my 257 Roberts I would ask you to look for that mold but I don't think that long bore riding nose, if seated right would feed through a 94's magazine.

Ed -- thanks for the links the second one covers nicely a bullet similar to the mold I have that works well in my 25-20s. I will pass it on to my friend along with some bullets.

6pt -- I finally found a picture of the Lyman 257325 and the NOE 260116 FN and NOE 260116 RN look like they should be pretty close and might be a reasonable heavier bullet.

Does anybody have any experience with either of the NOE bullets?

Thanks to all. John

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 12 June 2015

john a. ::: while on 25 molds, i also have a nei 60 and 75 gr. double cavity combo mold if it would would be of interest.

ken

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 12 June 2015

John Alexander wrote: 6pt -- I finally found a picture of the Lyman 257325 and the NOE 260116 FN and NOE 260116 RN look like they should be pretty close and might be a reasonable heavier bullet.

Does anybody have any experience with either of the NOE bullets?

Thanks to all. John

I have a couple NOE molds and they are pretty nice . But I had the guy for NEI cut the one I had it was I think a 257 of about 117 grains with a FN GC  , it's in their catalog .

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 13 June 2015

Ken Campbell Iowa wrote: john a. ::: while on 25 molds, i also have a nei 60 and 75 gr. double cavity combo mold if it would would be of interest.

ken Thanks for the offer.  I would be interested in trying the bullets from one of those in my 25-20s but better put such things off until I am settled in Oregon in the fall.  John 

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 14 June 2015

FWIW I had pretty decent results in the 25-36 Marlin I had using the Lyman 257312 88 gr GC bullet and the RD 258-85GC bullet .

Attached Files

norm posted this 14 June 2015

John, I had a Winchester 94 saddle ring carbine for awhile. Used an NEI 115-257GC and an Old West 259-110-GC in it. Carbine had some issues one of which was excess headspace so never got the accuracy I wanted so it was traded for something else. My chronograph records show 1603 fps with 11.0 gr of 2400 probably old Hercules manufacture. Also 1700 fps with 13.0 gr. IMR 4227.

Attached Files

william iorg posted this 14 June 2015

I like the NEI No. 23. You need to keep these below 1,800 fps for best accuracy in the 1-8” twist.This is similar to ^pt's 257325 with a flat nose. The NEI crimp grove is in the right place for my Winchester Angel Eject carbine.

://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/selsnslim/25-35Stuff/Lyman%20257283%2085gr_zps1nfh2wb4.jpg

Slim

Attached Files

william iorg posted this 14 June 2015

F&M Distributors spncered a special run of the Lyman 257283 and 85-grain plain base bullet with a short nose for the .25-20. This one does not feed well in the Winchester when crimped in the crimp groove. Seat them out and keep them below 1,800-fps and it will deliver minute of bunny accuracy at 50-yards.

Slim

Attached Files

william iorg posted this 16 June 2015

6Pt, here is your 257325. I have kept me eye open for a mold for many years ”€œ I don't ebay much. You would think with all the molds made there would be quite a few of these floating around but I have never run across one.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/selsnslim/25-35Stuff/Lyman%20257325zpsp0oq6ut7.jpg

Slim

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 27 October 2015

I would say this 25-35 is a good excuse to try one of the nose-pour molds offered by one of the sponsors of the website. Just sayin'.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 28 October 2015

william iorg wrote: 6Pt, here is your 257325. I have kept me eye open for a mold for many years ”€œ I don't ebay much. You would think with all the molds made there would be quite a few of these floating around but I have never run across one.

Attached Files

John F. posted this 14 November 2016

I'd be kind of concerned about the effectiveness of cast bullets in the .25-35 on deer unless everything went perfectly. Which, of course, is not ever guaranteed. I love the caliber, and if i told you the accuracy I get from my 1910-made octagon barreled 1894 at 100 yards with factory ammo, you'd swear I was lying.

However, going below full-power loads in .25-35 seems a bit risky on deer, to me. One downside is the probable lack of a decent blood trail.

Does anyone have any experience with cast bullets on deer in this caliber that they'd like to share?

Thanks, John

Attached Files

David Reiss posted this 14 November 2016

The only animal I've ever killed with the .25-35 was a 90-100 lb. doe in 1984. She was right at 85 paces, standing broadside at a slight elevation above me. The bullet was the Lyman 257464 (which I still have) cast from WW. I don't remember the load, but I am sure the velocity was near max, because even in the Contender those loads are still pleasant to shoot. My intention was not to take a deer at all that day, because the .25-35 was a 10” TC Contender and I was hunting with a friend who had not taken any deer as yet. I had wanted to try the Contender on some javelina because we had been seeing quite a few over the past couple days. As luck would have it, he was able to get his deer earlier that morning than expected. We decided to walk back to camp and get the pick-up to go back and get his deer. As we walked along the edge of the road back to camp and came upon a slight curve, we spotted three does standing near the edge of the road feeding. At this point we were about 125 yards away, further away than I felt comfortable taking a shot with the scoped Contender in that caliber. He stayed in the tree line where we first spotted them while I worked my way through the scrub Mesquites that lined either side of the road. I was able to work my way into position for the shot and fired sitting while resting against a tree. At the shot she just stood there, for what seemed like an eternity, but was probably 3-4 seconds when her front legs buckled and she went down. The shot went through the heart and lungs before exiting. The exit wound was not very big, maybe the size of a nickel. Later we discovered the wound channel, which was not that impressive, but good enough to get the job done. To this day I have never since been able to stalk that close to a deer and I still don't know how I was so lucky, but I will never forget it as long as I live. I also don't think I will ever part with that 10” octagon barrel. 

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 14 November 2016

John F. wrote: I'd be kind of concerned about the effectiveness of cast bullets in the .25-35 on deer unless everything went perfectly. Which, of course, is not ever guaranteed. I love the caliber, and if i told you the accuracy I get from my 1910-made octagon barreled 1894 at 100 yards with factory ammo, you'd swear I was lying.

However, going below full-power loads in .25-35 seems a bit risky on deer, to me. One downside is the probable lack of a decent blood trail.

Does anyone have any experience with cast bullets on deer in this caliber that they'd like to share?

Thanks, JohnI suppose you weren't aware the so called “Jordan Buck” was killed with a 25-20 (although James Jordan did shoot the deer 7 or 8 times). When I had the 25-36 Marlin I had all intentions of killing a deer with it using cast bullets although I'm sorry to say I never got around to it  .  When I was at the apex of Marlin collecting/accumulating I had all intentions of using a 25-20 , 32-20 , 25-36 and a 357 MAG lever guns to do in the poor unsuspecting Man Eating Virgina Whitetails with them . But I just never got around to it . I used just about all of the other Marlin lever offerings except the 45-90 , 40-82 and 33 WIN . My 32-40 loads followed what Venturino wrote in his levergun book . And while it worked just fine , in hindsight I wish I had boosted the velocity a bit . The load he had using 5744 and the RCBS 32-170 bullet was maybe 1350 at the muzzle . I used his loads in the 38-56 and 40-65 and they nicely however the 38-56 deer was a brain shot so what would one expect . 

Attached Files

Close