Pistol Scope on a Handi

• 1.1K Views
  • Last Post 21 August 2015
pondercat posted this 19 August 2015

I have always had a bit of a problem with scoping my handi rifle. Using the rail that is made for it the scope extends over and nearly touching the hammer making it difficult to cock.  I had a hammer spur extension at one time but it vanished.  The other option was to use high profile mounting rings which for me is a bit awkward and uncomfortable.  I happened upon an old Swift pistol scope I had mounted one time on a .454 Casull and thought about how these are sometime used on model '92s using a scout mount.   

I also had a couple of Weaver style offset scope rings and I suddenly had the idea that just maybe they would be able to set the scope far enough forward to get enough eye relief.  IT WORKED!  I only had to modify the rail slightly by filing an additional cross groove in the rail to accommodate the Weaver tube ring bolt. Here is how it looks on the rifle.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
pondercat posted this 19 August 2015

Here is the scope mount detail.   It could still stand to be an inch further out maybe but now its easy to cock, and getting on target is fast with the two power scope.  Terry

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 20 August 2015

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=9145>pondercat

That looks practical, I hope it works well for you.

I have several Handi Rifles and they are difficult to select a scope and mount for. I do have a hammer spur extension from NEF. The scope position that works best for me on Handi-rifles is when the rear of the glass is directly over the trigger. A compact rifle, compact tactical  or compact shotgun scope with standard eye relief of 2-4 inches and this mount works well when the scope just clears the hammer and extension for cocking the hammer easily:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/3011193196/dnz-products-game-reaper-1-piece-scope-base-with-1-integral-rings-h-and-r-ultra-nef-handi-rifle-silver-high?cm_vc=ProductFinding>http://www.midwayusa.com/product/3011193196/dnz-products-game-reaper-1-piece-scope-base-with-1-integral-rings-h-and-r-ultra-nef-handi-rifle-silver-high?cmvc=ProductFinding

DNZ Products Game Reaper 1-Piece Scope Base with 1” Integral Rings H&R Ultra, NEF Handi-Rifle MATTE, EXTRA  High

This extra high mount will make the Handi-Rifle compatible with many compact scope models.

Gary

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 20 August 2015

file a groove ... i love it !! in my little hobby tinkering corner i have about a dozen files ...probably my single most used type of hand tool ... i can file a notch or burr faster than i can find and mount an end mill in my knee mill ... and it's more satisfying .... recently while trying to figure out a setup for my mill i just finally put my hornet barrel in a vise and filed the extractor clearance notch ... seems to work just fine ...

ken

Attached Files

pondercat posted this 21 August 2015

Ken Campbell Iowa wrote: file a groove ... i love it !! in my little hobby tinkering corner i have about a dozen files ...probably my single most used type of hand tool ... i can file a notch or burr faster than i 

ken If I could go back in time, two things I would “invent” are the file and the paper clip!  Two of the most use inventions ever! Terry

Attached Files

Close