full power .44 wad cutter loads

• 3.7K Views
  • Last Post 24 December 2015
delmarskid1 posted this 04 September 2015

I have a Lyman .430” 180g full wad cutter mold. I used it once about ten years ago and was not very impressed with my accuracy. Does anyone have experience with something like this in either the magnum or special? I'm not looking for 1500 fps or anything but I'd like it to make it to the end of the range without skipping in the dirt. 

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Dale53 posted this 04 September 2015

The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 3rd Edition, has a section of full power loads for the .44 Magnum with this bullet.

Strangely enough, they have NOTHING on it's use in the .44 Special.

I have some personal data on the Group Buy 200 gr full wadcutter but that won't help you.

Checking further, the Lyman Pistol and Revolver Handbook, has nothing on the .44 Special with that bullet, either.

I rather think that bullet was developed FOR the .44 Special so suspect some earlier Lyman books might have some data in them for this bullet in the Special.

P.S. I found an original Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook (the small one with white plastic binding) and it had a few loads for the .44 Special: Bullseye 6.8 grs. Velocity 1055 fps Unique 10.3 grs. Velocity 1170 fps I might suggest, for target work, 4.0-5.0 grs. of Bullseye or equivalent should work well.

FWIW Dale53

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 04 September 2015

Thanks Dale, That helps a lot.

Attached Files

mckg posted this 04 September 2015

I seem to remember it was made for the Russian round.

Lyman's use of that bullet, in the CB book I used to have access to, was pretty outrageous (Magnum only). If I remember, only half of the bullet will be in contact with the bore. Castpics.net has older manuals for download.

I briefly experienced with LEE's 208 WC some years ago, in handguns and carbines. Cast from range lead and seated flush with the magnum case, as a typical WC, my notes show:

4.6 grs of a Bullseye-like powder 5.5 and 6.6 grs of Unique equivalents

All loads were noted as being accurate (25 yards) but boring in heavy magnum revolvers.

I'll have a look at LEE's manuals tonight and see if it is mentioned.

Attached Files

mckg posted this 05 September 2015

If your mold number is 429348, Lyman's Handbook 44/1967 at Castpics has loads for Sp and Magnum cases. Let me know if you cannot download it.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 05 September 2015

FYI, per Lyman CB #3 OAL with that #429348 in .44 Magnum is 1.420". Their data for that one does not give a load below 1,000 fps or about 22,000 cup.

Attached Files

noylj posted this 03 December 2015

750 fps gets me past 50 yards easily. How far do you want it to go before skipping in the dirt? Have no idea why they would keep pressure down so low. If it is a solid wadcutter, it can take full pressure--just may not be accurate. HBWCs must be kept below 800fps. COL is what works in your gun, not what the test lab used (though you want to take care if you go “significantly” shorter). Revolvers often have about ¼” of exposed bullet using wadcutters, so the bullet is aligned in the throat.

Attached Files

imjimo posted this 23 December 2015

I am new and haven't found a way to ask a question yet so here goes . I am looking for starting loads for a 44 mag 225 gr RCBS cast gc I was using 296 to load this round but I am thinking about imr 4227 any thoughts .

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 23 December 2015

imjimo:       The RCBS Cast Bullet Manual #1 lists these powders for that bullet in the 44 Magnum, 7 1/2” Barrel, 296, HS6, Unique, Bullseye and IMR 4227.   IMR 4227       Start-    *19.5, 1138 FPS     Max -   *21.5, 1266 FPS     * Denotes CCI Mag Primers

Attached Files

mckg posted this 23 December 2015

Depending on where you are in the Forum, go to “Forums” or “The Cast Bullet Ass. Inc Forum” link under “Home” at the top of the page; Then pick your section and click on “New Topic” in the top right hand corner.

try this for your load: http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

Attached Files

Thank you for the help!

Attached Files

Thank you for the help ! :cool:

Attached Files

mckg posted this 24 December 2015

Ya got an “Edit” button too if you want to change your post without writing an other one :wnk:.

Also it's easy to double tap, when the software is taking its time...

We haven't found how to delete posts without writing to the CBA President; but he's a good man and he'll do it :).

Attached Files

Close