new Henry 45-70

• 1.7K Views
  • Last Post 20 September 2016
blackhawk posted this 12 September 2015

Well, a few days ago, I splurged & bought my self a birthday present.  Got a new Henry H010 45-70, 18 1/2".  It must have been in dealer stock of a while, as it had the X-S sights on it.  I understand current production wears the buckhorn style sight.

At any rate, a short bout in the hospital has kept me away from the range.  Hope to blow the cobwebs out of the barrel soon.

Anyone familiar with this model ?  Any comments, pro or con ?

blackhawk

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 12 September 2015

blackhawk

There is plenty of nice reviews on that rifle. It is more important how you feel with your rifle than the reviews. I'd be comfortable if that rifle was scoped, but the short sight radius for the open sights with an 18.5” barrel reduces my shooting range and accuracy  results significantly.

Traditional buck-horn sights on a 24” barrel and I am comfortable hitting Deer vital at 125 yards offhand in the high woods where I hunt.  An 18.5” barrel and open sites makes a 75 yard shot slow and difficult for me. I gave up on carbines a lifetime ago just because of that.

Some shooters don't miss a beat when switching to a carbine, but carbines bring out poor shooting from me. I have always shot my best with big, long, heavy rifles.

Gary

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 01 October 2015

A “Peep” sight on the receiver might be just the ticket for this carbine. If the receiver is drilled and tapped, Williams still makes some good receiver sights, or you might look around and come up with an old Lyman.

Actual experience: I have a 10-22 that my Dad gave me years ago. I was always disappointed in my shooting with the open sights it was issued with. Finally got a Williams peep, one that goes in the 2 rear scope mount holes. World of difference, faster on-target and more accurate as well.

Attached Files

bandmiller2 posted this 26 November 2015

Hawk, if you can find a flip up tang sight it will lengthen your sight radius. I can't stand a scope on a lever gun just defeats their handy fast handling. Frank C.

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 26 November 2015

Skinner Sights makes what are probably the cleanest looking Adjustable receiver sights for a lever rifle that I have seen. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

WI Shooter posted this 20 September 2016

I have a Skinner on my 45C Henry.  Receiver mount.  Great sight.

Attached Files

oscarflytyer posted this 20 September 2016

+1 on Skinners. All my Marlins wear them, and one Henry 22.

Attached Files

WI Shooter posted this 20 September 2016

I should add to my Skinner sight post that I went to a peep because of my vision. The peep works good on my M1 so why not my Henry.  You may find it necessary to change the front sight as you can not get enough adjustment on the peep.  Mine can in right at the max adjust.  I have the octagon barrel with brass receiver and the brass Skinner looks good.  As one comment said I would not put a scope on my Henry.  The receiver is drilled and tapped so a simple install.  Really like it.

Good luck.

Attached Files

Close