Stevens 325C in 30 WCF

• Last Post 11 December 2015
Pentz posted this 07 December 2015

The hots for a bolt action 30 WCF/30-30 led me to pick up a very nice Stevens 325C made in 1948 or so.  No serial number.  Overall excellent condition with palm discoloration on the right grip, but no dings or gouges and had a nice pad installed.  It has a Lyman 4x All American scope in VG+ condition too!   The bore is basically new, a few patches yielded a tad of blue but otherwise it was apparently not fired much.  A pound cast shows the throat to be .085, and mikes at .311.  The barrel measured 21.5” to the bolt face, and the bore slugged .3085/.3105, and has a measured 1-14 twist.    The trigger is atrocious, measuring 8 lbs on my gauge.  I'm going to have to work on that.  The bedding is sloppy as usual with these, but I'm going to shoot it as a baseline before doing any bedding work.  The NOE 315 copy engraves nicely, and the 31141 may do well too.  If it ever stops raining here in the Northwet this week I'll get out and run some cast through it.  To be continued.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 07 December 2015

That is a terrific way to start. I hope it rubs off on those that need to see it the most. I encourage you to consider my bore polishing method once again too.

Gary

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 07 December 2015

dittos on the good start .

bet this one shoots . gee ... a 0.311 throat !! maybe we should have a postal match for savage 340s etc.

i wouldn't waste too many primers on baselining a floppy bedded rifle ( g ) .

ken

Attached Files

Pentz posted this 11 December 2015

Got out to shoot briefly on a rainy dark day here in the Northwet. Used an assortment of range brass on hand, and 2400 with the NOE 315 copy and the 31141 both at .311. After shotgun patterns working up from 14 gr of 2400 the magic load of 16.5 2400 shot one 3-shot group into .538 and another into 1.03; two more rounds into that one enlarged it to 1.45. Heavy but crisp trigger pull. I think this one will be a great shooter with more work.

Attached Files

Close