Trapdoor 45-70 match loads

• 1.3K Views
  • Last Post 18 December 2015
tturner53 posted this 14 December 2015

My recent efforts to dominate the postal matches led me to discover some oddball loads for my TD Springfield. To make a long story short I tried using some Ranch Dog .460-350s. Mine actually run .465"! Shot as cast, 50/50 ww/pb or just ww, tumble lubed with and without gas checks, (no difference). It turns out a nice fit in my gun's throat, just engraving a little when the breech block is pushed shut. Sweet. The idea was a low recoil accurate load. Got it. With an improvised temporary front sight I could hold around 3” at 100 yds. Some much better, some not. Tough gun to shoot bench rest. Using either Red Dot or Promo at around 1100-1200 fps this thing shoots better than I can hold it. I got a couple HTG 1"ers. Luck maybe.  I may try this bullet over some real gunpowder and see how it works.   --P))  (paragraph!)   My efforts with this gun were limited to two CBA postal matches, this year. #10,Military Big Bore Benchrest. And #20, Antique Military Benchrest. Previously I shot this match with either a 7mm Remington Rolling Block(1897), or a Lowe 1891 Argentine 7.65x53. This year I decided to try to focus more on one gun. If all goes well I just might make it to the Nationals this year. It's shaping up to be a biggee. 40th anniversary.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
giorgio the slim one posted this 14 December 2015

I have this bullet too , did not shoot it on paper  from a bench rest , just shot at steel plates at 50 yards .From offhand ,standing on my hind legs .Loaded  unsized at  nearly subsonic speeds , using  a pinch of  italian shotgun powders. with Marlin guide gun , Ruger N°3 and ARMISPORT Chiappa cavalry sharps carbine . An endless pleasure, casting with a gang mold, no sizing , using Xlox and  my Dillon 650. While I enjoy the economy and pride of shooting  bullets and rounds made by myself ,my sport is not working at the bench , but having  fun shooting ,

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 14 December 2015

Tipped over nine pigs in a row at 100 yds, with my old “73” TD last last month at our monthly lever gun silhouett match. RCBS 450-500-BPS and as much Goex 3f as I could cram in. All on my hind legs. Nothing works like the real stuff. Figured I'd better quit while ahead and go back to the lever gun. A hoot for sure.

Won the match but the director had the nerve to disqualify me.

Attached Files

oscarflytyer posted this 15 December 2015

Turner - great to hear on that RD mold/bullet. Finally got the mold. Yet to cast with it. Intended for my Marlin 1895. Currently shooting the Lee 405 HB over 38.5 grn IMR 3031 @ 1325. Accurate enough and flips deer at 85 yds. I am going to push the RD bullet somewhere b/n 1400-1500 fps (planned) and see what I get.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 15 December 2015

Tim, Looking for you in Washington. Ric

Attached Files

tlkeizer posted this 15 December 2015

Greetings,

RD - Nice shooting. If we ever get some silhouettes up out here I will try to come close to your shooting and let you know the results.

TK

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 17 December 2015

My 'other' 45-70 is an older H&R single shot. It likes the Ranch Dog design too. I crank 'em up a bit for the modern gun. If I'm gonna shoot a real match with the TD I think I'll look at some even lighter bullets. My TD doesn't seem to be picky.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 17 December 2015

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=2514>tturner53

Great to hear you are getting great results with my favorite 45 cal rifle bullet. I shoot that RD bullet cast in #2 Alloy for .458 Win Mag at 1700 fps with H4895 plus BPI original ballistic filler.

My accuracy with it is silly good!

Gary

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 18 December 2015

The .45 bug has bit me. A RBH convertible followed me home. Lots of .45 molds, too. I may try some pistol bullets in the old 45-70. Small, .452, but maybe a wad will help. I could cook up a 200 gr .450 Whisper.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 18 December 2015

TT : regarding 45-70 light loads ... ya gotta go all the way and try round balls ...

be well rounded ( g ) ..

ken

Attached Files

Close