NOE push through sizing dies ?

• 2.9K Views
  • Last Post 27 October 2016
R. Dupraz posted this 30 December 2015

Any one used NOE's push through body and nose sizing dies? Results? Opinions?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
John Alexander posted this 30 December 2015

RD, I just order a set.  When they came they were beautiful as expected but I haven't been home since the day after they came.  I will try them out soon and report. John

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 30 December 2015

Jonhn:    I like the concept of interchangeable bushings. Particularly the ability to nose size with different diameters.  And with the NOE quality, thinking of ordering myself.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 30 December 2015

Give us a report, John!  I think there will be much demand.  I really like NOE'S stuff.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 30 December 2015

For sizing bullet bands the Lee sizing kit is FAR easier to set up and requires less arm strength. The NOE starts sizing bullet way too soon, requiring a pulling action on press handle (more side loading on ram).

I have not tried sizing bore ride section yet. IMO a blank case sizing die “honed to spec” will work better.

The biggest advantage the NOE has is more sizing diameter options.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 30 December 2015

I ordered mine today. I am much more interested in being able to size a nose if required.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 31 December 2015

Just got home today so still haven't used the dies but OU812 is obviously right because the sizing takes place below the die holding threads the mechanical advantage is much less but I don't think that will bother me since I am mostly interested in the nose sizing.

If just sizing bands the Lee push throughs are hard to beat.  Low cost and easily lapped out to the diameter you want.

John

Attached Files

Paul Pollard posted this 19 January 2016

JHS wrote: I ordered mine today. I am much more interested in being able to size a nose if required. Did you get your die yet? 

Interested in your work with the 300 BLK. I'm using a homemade die to get the nose sized to fit. NOE's is probably a lot smoother than mine.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 19 January 2016

The NOE sizing bushings are not beveled so they shave rather than swage if you are trying to size very much.  Also in a Rock Chucker the sizing takes place well before you get into the max leverage of the stroke.  The concept is good but I would opine that you are not ready for production as soon as you unpackage the die. Paul I am writing a 3 part article about the 300 BLK for the FS.  The first installment will be in the March-April edition as I understand it.  PM me and we can email directly. Jim

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 19 January 2016

JHS;

Have you tried sizing any noses yet? Do those dies shave the noses too?

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 19 January 2016

How about some pics guys!!

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

jeff houck posted this 19 January 2016

I've just now received my NOE push through sizing die in .379 dia. I read the post about the die being sharp edged and therefore shaves lead. My die is rounded not sharp edged.  I've sized 100 .383 bullets down to .379 and did not shave off any lead. It did a very nice job of swagging them down concentrically. 

After the initial cost of the die body, each separate sizing die is only $9.75, and can be had in .001 increments opposed to LEE's $38.00 cost for a custom diameter die.

Hope this helps anyone who is deciding to try this product.

Attached Files

jeff houck posted this 19 January 2016

I forgot to add that the finish work on this die set is outstanding!

Attached Files

It is the nose sizing bushings that have a sharp edge. The base sizing bushings do indeed have a good radius.

Attached Files

Here is a picture.  You can bevel the nose bushings with a dremel tool.  This certainly helps.  I think if you only size .001 or at the very most .002 at a time, the nose bushings will work.  I have beveled mine but I need to polish the bevel also which I have not done.

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 22 January 2016

If you don't screw the NOE die in all the way into the press, you will be more into the power part of the press stroke.??? beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 22 January 2016

No, the die screws in from the bottom.  I'll try to post a picture later on.

Attached Files

Here are the pictures.  You can see that these are well made and very high quality. The first picture has the nose punch inserted in the sizing die

Attached Files

The second picture has the punch set upside down on the top of the press.  The bullet is pushed in from the bottom and the punch is tapped with a mallet to remove the bullet.

Attached Files

The third picture is a top view of two of the sizing bushings.  There is a 310 for sizing the base and then a 300 for sizing the nose.  These bushings are held in place by the set screw in the side of the die body.

Attached Files

The last picture is a profile view of the sizing bushings.  Be sure to lube the bullet nose before sizing.  I use RCBS case lube.  STP would likely work or perhaps a moly grease.

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close