Hornet primers

• 2.5K Views
  • Last Post 05 February 2016
JeffinNZ posted this 03 January 2016

I have bought a Zastava Hornet for my 11 year old daughter (she shot her first bunny with it the other evening) and once the factory ammo is gone (no, I didn't buy it; came with the rifle!!) we will need to load.  I have been loading some 225415s over 2400 the last couple of days with encouraging results and have tried CCI small pistol and Winchester small rifle primers thus far.  There appears little difference between the primers so far.  I still have CCI small rifle to try also and intend to buy some Remington 7 1/2s this week.  Any experience on the forum regarding primers in the Hornet?  It has been suggested small cases are more susceptible to such variations.  I am really interested to know if it is a factor of the strength of the primer or the powder it is lighting.  IE: does ball powder need 'X' primer whereas Unique doesn't care?????

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
highstandard40 posted this 03 January 2016

In my Hornet I use Remington 6 1/2. They are not as hot as the 7 1/2 and were designed specifically for small capacity rifle cases.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 03 January 2016

In the Hornet I use either 2400 or one of the shotgun powders, so I like the Federal 200. This has pistol priming power but the small rifle thick cup, very similar to the Rem 6 1/2's.

Attached Files

gnoahhh posted this 03 January 2016

I use small pistol primers, both CCI and some truly ancient Alcan's (interchangeably accurate), for all my reduced/cast loads in the Hornet. I get a skinch better accuracy than with small rifle primers, including Rem 6½'s, but honestly not a whole heckuva lot better. I have a gazillion of the Alcan's so that's what I'll continue using for the foreseeable future. (Favorite load: 6grains 2400, Lee Bator/bhn 10/alox lube, Alcan SP primer. Rifle: German single shot stalking rifle, 1-9” twist/.226 groove/.227 throat, 2-7x scope, ½"@50yards and a touch over an inch at 100.)

Attached Files

Wineman posted this 04 January 2016

When I had a Hornet, back in the 1970's I used CCI 400 SR primers, 2400 and H110. My best bullets were the Speer 40 or 45 grain SX in 224. There are some (were) 223 diameter too back then. I had a H&R Topper. Super heavy barrel but a so so trigger. Still it would make a mess out of a Jackrabbit. I don't think you need anything stronger or hotter. You might find that the K hornet is a better animal after a few hundred cases of reloading. Those long thin necks are a pain.

Dave

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 04 January 2016

No exactly to the point of your question Jeff. But I have a custom heavy barreled 22K that's built on a Ruger 77/22 Hornet action. And it shoots tiny little groups at 100 with IMR 4227 and Remington 7 1/2's. 45 grn. sierra's.

Attached Files

corerf posted this 04 January 2016

The weakest primer you can use including, pistol types- which will light the charge!

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 04 January 2016

We have had good luck with both Remington 7 1/2 and Remington 6 1/2. Pistol primer cups have been too soft for our loads.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 05 January 2016

hi mr. dupraz ...hey i finally screwed on that take-off sporter ruger 77h barrel i got from you ... a buddy loaded up a cigar box of 35 gr. hornadys for me so i felt guilty and gave it a fresh saami chamber and setback .... set headspace to a bolt-bump ... put a 3-9 simmons 22 mag with AO on it and got about half his loads gone ... i will use his empty brass for lee cast next .... just wanted to update you ; glad to see your new barrel is working . i am shooting bean cans offhand, haven't tried for test groups yet .

ken

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 05 January 2016

Jeff, the few 22 Hornet's I have loaded were done with small pistol primers of various makes.  They weren't cast loads, but they shot very well. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 05 January 2016

Hey Ken:

Thanks for the info on that barrel. Was wondering what you ever did with that tube. Would be interested to know how things turn out. Got lucky with the rebarrel and 22K chambering. Turned out to be one of the most accurate rifles that I've ever had next to an early 70's Sako Vixen varminter .222 Rem.

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 07 January 2016

Well Lil Gun is certainly picky when it comes to primers. Tried 8gr of powder under a new style Lyman 225415, .2255 diameter, Hornady GC.

I started with CCI small pistol at 50m:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JeffinNZ/media/Shooting%20stuff/8gr%20Lil%20Gun%20CCISP_zpslh32lwmj.jpg.html>http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JeffinNZ/media/Shooting%20stuff/8gr%20lil%20gun_zpsesk06fd7.jpg.html>

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 07 January 2016

Lil Gun is a great powder for the Hornet. We use it almost exclusively but we also found that we need to use rifle primers. It also likes to run near max in our experience.

Attached Files

Larry Gibson posted this 07 January 2016

JHS wrote: Lil Gun is a great powder for the Hornet. We use it almost exclusively but we also found that we need to use rifle primers. It also likes to run near max in our experience.
I concur with the use of SR primers with Lil'Gun and that it like to run near max loads.  My testing with Lil'Gun has only been with jacketed bullets of 40 and 45 gr weight.  The 45 gr bullets are best because they get the Lil'Gun burning more efficiently.  My testing was done with an Oehler M43 measuring velocity and pressures.  I currently have 3 Hornet rifles (Contender, Ruger #3 and Savage M40) and find all 3 get the best accuracy with a top end load (12.5 or 13 gr under the Hornady 45 gr Hornet bullet.   I plan on testing Lil'Gun in the near future with the 225462 Loverin bullet.   LMG

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 08 January 2016

LMG: Which version of the 225462 do you have? The long gas check or short? My Zastava 1-16 will likely not spin them but the .223 Rem is rather fond of both. http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JeffinNZ/media/Shooting%20stuff/224variations.jpg.html>

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 08 January 2016

Can we get a picture of that Zastava?

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 11 January 2016

Sure, an the operator with her first rabbit with it.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JeffinNZ/media/Shooting%20stuff/IMG_1043_zpstwgn1cit.jpg.html>

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

rmrix posted this 03 February 2016

R. Dupraz wrote: No exactly to the point of your question Jeff. But I have a custom heavy barreled 22K that's built on a Ruger 77/22 Hornet action. And it shoots tiny little groups at 100 with IMR 4227 and Remington 7 1/2's. 45 grn. sierra's.This post got my attention - and does it confirm that the stock Ruger 77/22 barrel and chamber was lacking? I was interested in the Hornet 15 + years ago and bought this rifle to use around my house - it was not very accurate with Factory stuff.

Handloading, I found I needed to seat the bullets out farther than the mag would allow, in effect making it a one shooter. Better accuracy but not really great yet!  -???

I never did find great loads for it.  Lost interest and it has been in the back of the safe all there years. You rebarreled one. Was it for the same reason?

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 03 February 2016

I had a Zastava .223 long ago. A Charles Daly IIRC. It was extremely accurate. Hit a dime at 100 yds accurate. That was with Winchester white box 40 gr. hp's. Now I'm thinking of getting another, maybe a Hornet. But I'm concerned about parts availability, here, down the road. I've heard they are dropping US sales.

Attached Files

rmrix posted this 04 February 2016

Bumping this up hoping to get a reply... :dude: This post got my attention - and does it confirm that the stock Ruger 77/22 barrel and chamber was lacking? I was interested in the Hornet 15 + years ago and bought this rifle to use around my house - it was not very accurate with Factory stuff.

Handloading, I found I needed to seat the bullets out farther than the mag would allow, in effect making it a one shooter. Better accuracy but not really great yet!  -???

I never did find great loads for it.  Lost interest and it has been in the back of the safe all there years. You rebarreled one. Was it for the same reason?

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 05 February 2016

My experience with Ruger #3 and Ruger #1 that the primers must be Remington 6 1/2 or Winchester Small Pistol Magnum, this for a variety of loads. You will just have to experiment, the .22 Hornet is temperamental.

The two Ruger rifles were very different. The Ruger #1 takes a medium load of any powder, light bullet (35 / 40 grains) and light primer. The Ruger #3 had a 1 in 10” twist barrel with extra long chamber requiring the bullets to be set well out, either cast or jacketed and heavy loads. It was finally accurized by trading. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

Close