Break open rifle flex

• Last Post 09 January 2016
bandmiller2 posted this 08 January 2016

Its my belief that break open rifles like the handy can give good but usually not great accuracy due to variable flexing of the action depending how it was closed. I always try to close with the same force. Most guns of this type have a wedge that engauges the barrel lug and how much force you use to close it varies how tight its latched. Frank C.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 08 January 2016

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=5654>bandmiller2

I don't see that on my Handi's. I think you have what I would call sliding gunk effecting your lockup. Cleaning will stop this when it has happened to me. The locking wedge you mention is also susceptible to problem release on firing from over lubrication. Grease will make it worse. I just get those parts clean with Hoppe's Elete and don't oil them at all. My actions close with a felt and audible click. I have no concern that my action doesn't close the same way every time.

The symptom you get is an alarm to clean your rifle action.

Gary

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 08 January 2016

bandmiller2 wrote: Its my belief that break open rifles like the handy can give good but usually not great accuracy due to variable flexing of the action depending how it was closed. I always try to close with the same force. Most guns of this type have a wedge that engauges the barrel lug and how much force you use to close it varies how tight its latched. Frank C. I'm curious how you define 'good' vs. 'great' accuracy?  I think the accuracy bar has been raised in general as far as common expectations. Today's standards are pretty high.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 09 January 2016

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=2514>tturner53

Examples and opinions help. Feel free to evaluate my standard for cast bullet shooting rifles. 1” at 50 yards is “good", 1/2” at 50 yards is great. For Jacketed bullets, I just divide that by 2.

My personal reason for the measurements is based on the size of a squirrel head. You need to pick a reason and measurements for yourself.

>>>>added later! I don't like to hunt anything with a rifle that won't hit a Squirrel head at 50 yards.  Sometimes I am just compelled to do that.

Gary

Attached Files

bandmiller2 posted this 09 January 2016

Gary, your accuracy standards are strict but close to what I consider good or great, but they require well refined bullet fit and load development. Higher pressure rounds fired in break action rifles will flex the action a slight amount, contenders included. A bolt action you can put a fired case back in and close the bolt easily, break barrels their tight because they have stretched slightly. This is my finding and theory possibly your mileage will vary. Frank C.

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 09 January 2016

tturner53 wrote: bandmiller2 wrote: Its my belief that break open rifles like the handy can give good but usually not great accuracy due to variable flexing of the action depending how it was closed. I always try to close with the same force. Most guns of this type have a wedge that engauges the barrel lug and how much force you use to close it varies how tight its latched. Frank C. I'm curious how you define 'good' vs. 'great' accuracy?  I think the accuracy bar has been raised in general as far as common expectations. Today's standards are pretty high.h&r LOANED ME RIFLES, i SHOT, TESTED AND WROTE THE RESULTS UP AS ARTICLES IN THE assa JOURNAL. mID 90S? i DON'T HAVE THE ARTICLES, BUT GOT 30/30, 308 AND 45-70 BUFFALO CLASSIC ~ 1” FOR SOME GROUPS. BLEW ONE UP, TOO.

Attached Files

Close