Processing Wheel Weights

• 1.7K Views
  • Last Post 29 January 2016
JPnewhampshire posted this 25 January 2016

I just got back from a WW hunt --scored 2 1/2 5 gal pails mixed WWs (300+lbs) What is the best procedure to separate the lead wgts from the non lead. ??? I have a bottom drop Lee furnace and a Propane-and iron pot set up // JP

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
OU812 posted this 25 January 2016

After separating zinc from lead. Keep the melting pot temp lower that the melting point of zinc. Drop in a few at a time, stir and watch zinc float to top then scoop away. Some say zinc looks like oatmeal floating on top of melt, but so does good alloy when not fluxed.

I bet there is a lot of zink mixed in with modern WW because of recycling.

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 25 January 2016

Keep WW rendering temp below 625 degrees F.beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

JPnewhampshire posted this 25 January 2016

Where can I get a 1000 deg thermometer ??? JP

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 25 January 2016

Thermometers are available from NOE, Lyman (mine does not work), RCBS, and Amazon . Com. I think that amazon.com is the least expensive. These are all dial thermometers, and will exhibit varying accuracy. You can also get laser remote reading thermometers, but you will need to float a can lid or something similar on the melt to get a decent temp read. Those are available fro Harbor Freight and a whole lot of other places. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

JPnewhampshire posted this 26 January 2016

I fired up the Propane cooker and melted down the 47 lb bucket of WW I brought home--fluxed with sawdust-- heated it all and scooped off all that didn't melt--ended up with 36 lbs of corn tin ingots-- now to test hardness //JP

Attached Files

I did the Ball bearing test on the WW and got BN 9.76// does that sound reasonable ?? JP

Attached Files

highstandard40 posted this 26 January 2016

Did you melt stick-on and clip-on weights together or just clip-on? I usually get closer to 12BH for clip-on. If you mixed the two types together your number could be correct. 

Attached Files

I put it all togather--was surprised to get as much good stuff as I did// I.ll pick up the other 2 pails tomorrow// JP

Attached Files

corerf posted this 26 January 2016

I always try to keep stick on separated from clip on so that I ahem near pure lead avail from one and 11-13 BHN alloy on the other. Then I can blend, shoot soft BP loads, etc. Offers some flexibility. May not bee needed for you.

Attached Files

I started picking and sorting the stuff but a 5 gal bucket (130Lbs ) has about 5000 pcs and it would take forever// I also found that some of the stick ons don't melt out also// 100 lbs of WW will make 7000+ 93 gr bullets which will last my lifetime// I also have about 100+ lbs pure lead if I need it JP
The interesting fact is : when I finally get the pistol I could buy 500 rounds factory and be Way ahead of this project /// (not so much fun thu//

Attached Files

cbshtr posted this 26 January 2016

If you are testing for hardness right after they cool down you will get an inaccurate reading. They need time to fully harden. I usually wait 3 weeks.

Robert Homan

Attached Files

JPnewhampshire posted this 29 January 2016

I re tested the WW stuff 3 days later and it at about 15 deg f-- tested 14.7 ish from first test @ 9+- makes one wonder?? JP

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 29 January 2016

JPnewhampshire wrote: I did the Ball bearing test on the WW and got BN 9.76// does that sound reasonable ?? JP
That's what I get.  I sort all the Zn and Fe WWs and discard them.  Also remove the stick on that is usually about 6 BHN.  Traditionally clip on WW is stated as 12 BHN but in 25 years of casting I have never registered it more than 9.5-10 BHN.  Incidentally, if you add a little tin to stick on WW (40-1) it will run around 8 BHN and I have heat treated it to 12 BHN.  Makes for an awesome hunting alloy. 

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

JPnewhampshire posted this 29 January 2016

Question: If I am casting at say BHN 12 and I drop the bullets into water// what kind of hardness can I expect or 9.7 to?? 14.0 to?? JP

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 29 January 2016

JPnewhampshire wrote: Question: If I am casting at say BHN 12 and I drop the bullets into water// what kind of hardness can I expect or 9.7 to?? 14.0 to?? JPCloser to 18 for water dropped after the bullets have aged a few weeks.

Attached Files

Close