Info Needed on Checkering Files

• 2.3K Views
  • Last Post 04 February 2016
GBertolet posted this 02 February 2016

I would like to purchase several checkering files for future projects. There is the Pillar file (1/2” wide) and a wider (maybe 3/4") generic type checkering file available. Which type is most preferable for gun work?  

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Westhoff posted this 02 February 2016

If you're talking about stock checkering, you are going to be working around curved surfaces, at an angle, and a half inch or 3/4 inch file just won't work. I have a Dem-Bart Gun Stock Checkering Tool Kit I bought around 30 years ago which has done some very good checkering jobs for me (after I learned to use it).

The price tag is still on the box - $25.76. If they're still available, I imagine they're considerably more expensive today. But for gunstocks, you want a single vee cutter and several various double vee cutters.

If Dem-Bart kits are no longer available, I'll bet some other outfits are selling checkering tool kits. Hope this helps.

Wes

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 02 February 2016

If you are considering metal checkering files, the “pillar” size is preferable. Re-cutting hammers and triggers, with curves, the stiff pillar is easier to lay the lines out. Then you finish with single cut rifflers to bring the points up. The only time the wider width is useful are large single curve butt plates, as it is easier to lay out the 4 inches of cuts with a wide file. HTH, Ric

Attached Files

Westhoff posted this 02 February 2016

Just checked: (Should have checked before I wrote the first message). Woodcraft (WOODCRAFT.com) has Dem-Bart gunstock checkering tool kits on sale right now for $50.14. Never done any business with them, but the kits they show on their ad look very much like mine.

Wes

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 02 February 2016

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=1738>GBertolet

Consider making your own tools too. I have some Dembart and some home made. Look at some pictures, they are not complicated tools and are basically graver tools for wood. I use the skip line 12 and the single line the most.

Gary

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 02 February 2016

I think that we are talking about three different operations here. And it depends on exactly what you want to do.

Pillar files are not for checkering, either wood or steel. They are like a regular file except used for fine finishing of metal.

Checkering files are for metal checkering as Rick has stated and are sold with different line spacings. And I reckon could be used when checkering wood for truing the lines if the file matched the line spacing of the wood checkering cutters. '

Wood checkering sets and cutters are used to checker wood only and also are sold in various line spacings.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 02 February 2016

I'm with Wes. The Dem Bart kits are good.  If the kit doesn't have a long straight single cutter to make sure the straight line parallel to the top of the frorend and other straight places isn't wavy, you should get one John

Attached Files

mike44 posted this 03 February 2016

If it is checkering wood your after jantz knifemaking supplies has dem Bart checkering tools in stock and they have competitive prices.

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 03 February 2016

For wood checkering, a good book on the subject, such as Monte Kennedy's Checkering and Carving Gunstocks, is invaluable. There are others as well. Cuts down on the learning curve immeasurably.

Attached Files

GBertolet posted this 03 February 2016

I should have been more specific. I apologize. I wanted metal checkering files. It seems pillar might be the way to go.

Attached Files

drhall762 posted this 04 February 2016

I think there is a little terminology issue here. All pillar files are not checkering files but most checkering files are pillar files.

Attached Files

Close