AA 1680?

• 4.4K Views
  • Last Post 02 October 2018
Scearcy posted this 03 February 2016

I have been shooting a 300 BLK lately and that reintroduced me to AA1680.  This was the first powder I used in my 22 Hornet many years ago.  My question is has anyone given AA1680 a thorough test as a cast bullet powder.  Its burn rate is very similar to 4227 and 4198 both of which are popular CB powders.  I have a theory that AA1680 is similar to Lil gun in the respect that it likes to run at nearly full pressure to produce best results.  It has been successful in the 300 BLK  with subsonic loads.  These are certainly reduced but I suspect the accuracy standards aren't that high. I have also read (fairly reliable source) that it has been used successfully in a CB load for the 3006.  This was done only after consulting the AA techs.  Anyhow enough rambling.  Does anyone have some real time experience with this stuff?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 04 February 2016

a friend of mine uses a bit of 1680 ....heh he lives in southern minnesota .... pm me and i will give you contact info ... he does a lot of interesting things with cast ...

ken

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 10 February 2016

Several years I used wc 680 which I have been told is the same as 1680. if not the same it is pretty darn close. anyway I used it in the 308 win, 7.62x39 and others. I worked up loads in the 308 that were pretty good. I still have the targets and my notes of my results. it wasn't the best accuracy but it was truly good enough to be interesting. argie1891 aka joe.

if you think you have it figured out then you just dont understand

Attached Files

corerf posted this 13 February 2016

My w680 (27 lbs) is a cherished possession. I treat it like its a crown jewel. Need to be used in really long cases for bore, or really fat pipes that are long. Makes velocity like absolutely nothing else in 10 -16 inch pistol barrels. 35-45 caliber

My experiences. Your mileage may vary. Supposedly great in hornet but not in Hornet pistols. Too short a barrel, it sucks in mine!!

Attached Files

skeet1 posted this 07 April 2016

JHS, One more powder you might consider is Shooters World “Blackout” powder this is supposed to be similar or the same as AA1680. I have been using it in my 300 blackout with the Lee 312-155 and seems to be a good combination.  Shooters World powders are available at Powder Valley  and North Georgia Reloading.   

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 07 April 2016

Thanks for the replies everyone.  1680 has become one of my go to powders for cast in the 300 BLK.  I don't think it is going to be the most accurate though.

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 07 April 2016

Way back when (1984?) I discovered that WW 680 and heavy CB's in my S&W Model 57 .41 Mag worked well. You couldn't fill the case with too much powder. I had about a pound when it announced that the 680 was to be no more. So I switched to H-4227. But then at the 2014 CBA Nat. Tourn. in Kansas City I found 3-more pounds of the WW 680 which I bought. Looking forward to starting to use it again.

Tom

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 07 April 2016

Not all 1680 powder is the same. The older pre year 1996 version worked lots better in my Hornet. Accurate changed suppliers post 1996 and this version did not work as well...smelled and looked different also.

Isn't 1680 the standard powder for the Russian SKS round...lots of different suppliers.

Attached Files

skeet1 posted this 07 April 2016

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=8191>OU812I think you are right. What I have heard is that Accurate use to import this “Blackout” powder from the Czech Republic and then started using domestically produced powder. However, I could be wrong. Ken 

Attached Files

Eddie Southgate posted this 28 October 2016

<user=1362>corerf wrote: My w680 (27 lbs) is a cherished possession. I treat it like its a crown jewel. Need to be used in really long cases for bore, or really fat pipes that are long. Makes velocity like absolutely nothing else in 10 -16 inch pistol barrels. 35-45 caliber My experiences. Your mileage may vary. Supposedly great in hornet but not in Hornet pistols. Too short a barrel, it s**ks in mine!!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       I've only been able to locate 2 lb's of W680 since they quit selling it and I feel the same way about it. It is the best for Hornet or .218 Bee either one and I use the same loads in both : 11.5 gr or 12.5 depending on the rifle it gets used in and I really like the 35 gr Hornady Vmax  lit with a small pistol primer. Little Gun loads about the same so I use it mostly to conserve the W680 for special occasions.                                                                        Eddie

Grumpy Old Man With A Gun......Do Not Touch .

Attached Files

Hoppy posted this 02 October 2018

You might want to try Hodgdon's new CFE-BLK powder. (The CFE stands for Copper Fouling Eraser, but the powder would probably not object to being used with CBs.) It's supposed to be "optimized" for use with the .300 Blackout, but I bought some for using in the 7.62x39. When it quits raining, I'll get to do some shooting with it and may have some real information about its performance. . . .

Attached Files

Close