.38 cal, Optimum length barrel.

• 1.3K Views
  • Last Post 03 March 2016
Singleshot S.A. posted this 02 March 2016

My project at the moment is to re barrel my Deerstalker from .50 down to either .40 or .38.I'm looking for a faster twist, say 1:20 and a longer barrel at say 30 inches. I don't have a genuine preference as I have several good quality molds for both sizes.Possibly leaning towards .40 just because it's that little bit bigger, although. Not sure.  Powder is expensive over here.  This will be a Target rifle, possibly used on Goat. What is the general consensus on the optimum barrel length. My 38/55 BPCR has a 27 1/2” barrel 1:20 and shoots pretty well. Just thinking I will need a bit more barrel to burn the powder in a muzzle loader.

Any thoughts.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ed Harris posted this 02 March 2016

If you are shooting black powder I would get the longest barrel possible, and trim it back in increments until you get the performance you want. If you can find a source for a barrel at least 30 inches long, that would be wonderful.

I have a 28 inch Green Mountain barrel on a .44 Magnum single-shot with 20 inch twist of rifling, and find it delightful in every way with either black or smokeless. Best of both worlds. Like a heavy-bullet .44-40 with black, a 150-yard deer basher with smokeless or a near silent, 100-yard accurate “cat sneeze” on steroids with light charges 5-6 grains of Bullseye firing 265-275 grain ogival flat noses nearly silently at 850-900 fps.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 03 March 2016

I have a Mowrey .45 muzzle loader with a 1/25” twist. the barrel is 28” long. This is a light rifle for hunting. It balances well and kicks even better. I'm with Ed as to longer is better. Much over 30” and things get clumsy for me. I'm getting away with 65 grain charges and the 325 grain Gould design hollow point for the 45-70. I've thought about a .375” bore but really the .40” may be easier to work with. where I live we can't go below .40 and use the arm for deer.

Attached Files

Singleshot S.A. posted this 03 March 2016

Great, that's what I wanted to here. Thanks for the replies guys. Singleshot S.A.

Attached Files

Close