winchester 32 self loading casesdoes

• 3.9K Views
  • Last Post 01 November 2019
w-d-s posted this 18 March 2016

does anyone know what case a preson can make win 32 self loading cases?    how about 30 m1 carbine case they are close but the rim is less. anyone tried that?  thank you. w.d.s.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
rjmeyer314 posted this 19 March 2016

Donnelly's book on cartridge conversions says they can be made from 32-20. Taper expand the 32-20 case and full length resize in the SL trim die. Trim & chamfer. Can also use 11/32” diameter tubing to re-body a .38ACP case head. I don't know if by “SL trim die” Donnelly means you need to buy a separate file trim die, or if he means the 32 SL resizing die.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
norm posted this 23 March 2016

John Henwood wrote a book about the Winchester Self loading rifles and cartridges. He used 30 Carbine cases. Extraction was a sometimes thing. Better would be the 32-20 case or Henwood sugests the 32 H&R magnum case might work although it would be short. He did not actually try the 32 H&R case, just suggests it as a possibility.

Attached Files

w-d-s posted this 23 March 2016

thank you guys, was hopeing  30 carbine brass would  work good.   is the rim on 32-20 need to be trimed to use or does it work as is?  I couldnt  find the book by Henwood on wsl guns  on ebay  sounds like it is a modern book.  there were a couple by him on  rem  8 & 81  

Attached Files

norm posted this 23 March 2016

w-d-s, The Henwood book I mentioned was self published,copyright 1995. John Henwood was a CBA member and advertised his books in FS. When I got my copy he signed it and wrote number 68 of 500. So there are not many copies out there.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 25 March 2016

For all the effort to make them, $1 each for new Jamison brass at Midway doesn't seem so bad. Unless you are a Scotsman..

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • JeffinNZ
  • M3 Mitch
w-d-s posted this 28 March 2016

Ed I looked at midways webb site and there is no 32 wsl brass to be had. they dont even list it for Jamison.  Bertram is out of stock- no backorders about $2.50 per case. if you do find them for less than a buck let me know. I havent found anyone who has them in stock at any price. 30 carbine is so close expet the rim is to small. am hoping they will work most of the time

Attached Files

w-d-s posted this 06 April 2018

Norm, being you have John Henwoods book on the forgoten Winchesters. could you do me a big favor and get me some load data out of it for the 32 win self loader I am using 170 gr cast bullets but anything close would be great. I just cant get it to run the action. you wouldn;t know of a book for sale would you?  thank you  Wayne

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 06 April 2018

hi ... ken howell's excellent book _ .... custom cartridges _ ...  recommends using only original brass ....  however, midway does list original brass at $2 each.. out of stock .... but also it looks as though   starline 32-20 brass is in stock at about 25 cents each....

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/941218558/starline-reloading-brass-32-20-wcf

trim to length and take small cut on rim and keep with moderate loads and it LOOKS LIKE  32-20 would work .

i would be glad to trim/cut a hundred or so for you if that would help ...pm me.

32 mag won't really work well. 

ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Squid Boy posted this 30 October 2019

Huntington Die Specialties has Bertram 32 WSL listed for $40.98 per twenty.. It doesn't say out of stock. Try giving them a call. Good luck, Squid Boy

"Squid Pro Quo"

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
w-d-s posted this 01 November 2019

the Bertram cases are way to high priced. this rifle is a semi-auto and it spites out brass all over so you cant use it on grass if you want to find the brass.  I have been using Armscor 30 carbine brass and they have been working good. they have a little bigger rim than US brands of 30 carbine brass. most carbine brass does not work very well the rim is to small. maybe the gun could be modified a little to work with the surplus brass. the 30 carbine brass is so close other than the rim.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Close