Coating Shootout

• 11K Views
  • Last Post 18 September 2016
mtngun posted this 07 April 2016

I've previously performed shooting comparisons of several different coatings in a 6x45 and in a 357 rifle, and those comparisons led me to settle on oil-based polyurethane, but disappointing performance with the urethane coated plain base in a 6BR is forcing me to try a little harder.

So this time I'll be doing some different kinds of comparison tests, trying to understand what characteristics make a good coating, and trying to understand how coated bullets fail. The shoot-out will include oil-based polyurethane, an electrostatic applied polyester powder coat, an electrostatic applied silicone powder coat, and zombie green hi-tek coating.

Today was my first time ESC'ing bullets, so I'm sure I have a lot to learn about it, but here is how I went about it.   First, I made fixture to hold the bullets base-up, because I'm going to be testing plain base bullets and I suspect that it is important that the base receive a good coat.    I used a 1/4” center drill to drill an array of holes in an aluminum plate.   The depth of the hole was chosen so that the coating would stop at the top lube groove, that way any “flash” would end up in the lube groove where it would do the least harm.

Using this base-up method, the base ends up getting a thicker coat than the rest of the bullet.  That's not necessarily a bad thing, though, depending on your favorite theory of how coatings work.   I believe coatings function similar to a gas check, protecting the base from melting and gas cutting, so I'm happy with the base receiving a thicker coating.

The silicone powder does not stick as well as polyester powder so my first batch of silicone powder coat turned out a little thin.   About that time I noticed that the air pressure was dropping down to 5 psi while spraying, so I adjusted the regulator up to the recommended 8 psi and sprayed a second batch, deliberately putting it on a little thicker.   This is that second batch.  

If the shooting results are black and white, I may be able to wrap up this shoot-out in one day.   But if the results are “muddled” then testing may drag on for a while.  We'll see.

I'm also performing an oven test to determine at what temperature the coatings “fail.”     I'm not sure if that's relevant to the shooting performance, but it might be.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes

THUMBNAIL TEST:

Some people like to test coatings by smashing the coated bullet with a hammer, but I've never figured out what that is supposed to prove?    If there's going to be a problem with adhesion, it'll show up when you are sizing the bullets.   That goes double for me because I often nose-size bullets in addition to the normal sizing step(s).

But an easy test is to try scraping the coating off with your thumbnail.   

Hi-Tek can be scraped off with your thumbnail.    It sometimes flakes off while sizing, too.

To my surprise, both of the powder coats would scrape off with a thumbnail.   It took more effort than Hi-Tek, but it could be done.   I have not tried sizing the ESC-coated bullets yet.

Oil-based polyurethane sticks like glue and that is one reason I liked it.    Unfortunately, polyurethane has a modest melting point and I suspect that may be a problem if you push the bullets hard enough.

Attached Files

THICKNESS AND UNIFORMITY:

Previous tests with extra-thick (0.003” - 0.004") coatings yielded inferior accuracy.   Perhaps because the thicker coatings resulted in an unbalanced bullet?

I'm not sure what the ideal coating thickness is?    If the purpose of a coating is to protect the bullet from the hot gases, to prevent melting and gas coating, then thicker might be better, providing it is uniformly thick, and providing it adheres well.

One of the problems with the shake-n-bake method of powder coating (or other coatings) is that the thickness can vary quite a bit.   That may not matter for low-velocity plinking loads but my interest is in accurate loads for high velocity.   Hence I broke down and purchased an ESC gun for this test.   

The bullets for this test were coated as-cast from a 3-cavity mold.    All of the following measurements are for the bottom band only, based on a random sample of 10 bullets.

Uncoated/Unsized: -- Average = 0.2438" -- Lo = 0.2433" -- Hi = 0.2448" -- Average Out-of-Roundness = 0.0006"

One Coat ESC Super Durable Wet Black (polyester): -- Average = 0.2466" -- Lo = 0.2460" -- Hi = 0.2473" -- Average Out-of-Roundness = 0.0004” (less than uncoated bullet) -- Average Thickness = 0.0014"

One Thin Coat ESC Hi-Temp Bronze (silicone): -- Average = 0. 2455" -- Lo = 0.2446" -- Hi = 0.2464" -- Average Out-of-Roundness = 0.0004" -- Average Thickness = 0.00085"

One Heavy Coat ESC Hi-Temp Bronze (silicone): -- Average = 0.2462" -- Lo = 0.2452" -- Hi = 0.2470" -- Average Out-of-Roundness = 0.0005"  -- Average Thickness = 0.0012"

4 Thin Coats Zombie Green Hi-Tek: -- Average = 0.2452" -- Lo = 0.2442" -- Hi = 0.2465" -- Average Out-of-Roundness = 0.0006" -- Average Thickness = 0.0007"

Note the Hi-Tek was deliberately mixed thinner than usual because supposedly a thin mix adheres better than a thick mix, and I wanted to give Hi-Tek a fair chance to adhere, since one of my dislikes about Hi-Tek is that it doesn't adhere all that well.    Also, I baked it at 350F rather than the recommended 380F because it is my experience that 380F “burns” the coating, turning it a coffee color and making it more prone to flake off.

CONCLUSION ON OUT-OF-ROUNDNESS:

All of the ESC coated bullets were more round than the uncoated bullets.  :D  

The ESC method is a success in the sense that it produces a more uniform coating than the shake-n-bake method.   Coating-induced imbalance should not be an issue with the ESC method.

Even the Hi-Tek coating did not increase out-of-roundness, though it did have the highest extreme spread (0.0023") between the Hi and Lo diameters.     If I had used a more normal thickness of Hi-Tek mix then then out-of-roundness would have increased, based on previous experience.

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 08 April 2016

Very nice work mtngun. Holding your out-of-round dimensions to as good as or better than the as cast number is impressive. Gotta love the ESC guns. I haven't tried Hi-tek so Im watching with interest. I know Hi-tek has a very large following but I made the choice early to go with PC for my needs and it's worked well for me. Looking forward to the results of your tests. Gp

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 08 April 2016

gpidaho wrote: I haven't tried Hi-tek so Im watching with interest. I know Hi-tek has a very large following but I made the choice early to go with PC Hi-Tek is “OK,” but nothing special -- so far, anyway.   It's downsides include marginal adhesion, cost, and it's incompatible with heat treating.  

I'm liking the ESC method though it does take money and time to get everything set up.   I'm hoping the silcone coat will be a winner, we'll see.

Attached Files

THE OVEN TEST:

Place coated bullets in a heat-treat oven and gradually ramp up the temperature until the coating melts or otherwise fails.

Most of these coatings are polymers that don't have a definite melting point, instead it gets soft, begins to sag, the bullet laying on its side becomes oval instead of round, and eventually there's nothing left but a puddle.    I defined “failure” as either a very flat bullet or else a puddle.

Oil-based polyurethane did poorly in the oven test, failing at 700 F.   It's a shame because in other respects it's a cheap & easy coating that works well up to a point.

Polyester powder coat (Powder by the Pound Super Durable Wet Black) did not hold up well, melting at 700 F.

At this point I don't know whether the melting temperature has anything to do with the shooting performance, but I suspect it may.    We'll see.

By comparison, gilding metal melts at 1800 F (if you believe the internets).   So even the hi-temp silicone jacket is still wimpy compared to a gilding metal jacket, plus our coatings are much thinner than a  gilding metal jacket, too.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 08 April 2016

My question is: Does a cast bullet ever get to 700 F. when shooting? On the face of it, for the amount of time it is exposed to powder gas, could the bullet get that hot? Ric

Attached Files

45 2.1 posted this 08 April 2016

RicinYakima wrote: My question is: Does a cast bullet ever get to 700 F. when shooting? On the face of it, for the amount of time it is exposed to powder gas, could the bullet get that hot? Ric

It's kinda of obvious it does from the pictures of flame cut bases he has posted. That is an indicator that the base needs to be protected from the gas.

Attached Files

RicinYakima wrote: My question is: Does a cast bullet ever get to 700 F. when shooting? On the face of it, for the amount of time it is exposed to powder gas, could the bullet get that hot? Ric No one knows ... but as 45 2.1 mentioned, there's those recovered bullets I have posted with the bases that sure look melted and gas cut.    It's well understood that any damage to the corner of the base can cause fliers.   

The bottom line is that jacketed bullets can be pushed up to 4000 fps with good accuracy yet plain base cast bullets struggle much above 2000 fps.     Why?   Why can't we push plain base cast bullets 4000 fps?    Exactly what causes them to fail?   Inquiring minds want to know.  :D  

Why do coatings pretty much eliminate lead fouling in most loads?   Well the obvious answer is  the coating keeps the lead away from the barrel, so there is no contact.    But why doesn't the coating foul the barrel, then?   What is different about the coating material compared to lead?    

It's possible that the melting temperature of the material has nothing to do with bullet failure.   Maybe something else is going on that I am overlooking.    I try to keep an open mind.     In the meantime I continue doing crazy experiments, looking for answers.   :D

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 08 April 2016

"It's possible that the melting temperature of the material has nothing to do with bullet failure.   Maybe something else is going on that I am overlooking.    I try to keep an open mind.     In the meantime I continue doing crazy experiments, looking for answers.   :D" I have questioned several engineers that designed rocket nozzles for space launches. The most common opinion is that it is “molecular abrasion" or the products of combustion ripping the material off the bullet from leakage. That is how “lube” works, sacrificial material instead of the bullet. Only after it is abraded from the bullet does it vaporize to be laid down as leading in the barrel. NO PROOF, BUT THEY ARE SMARTER THAN ME! I am following closely to see if the “scratch off” ease has any relationship to shooting effectiveness. This is all interesting stuff you are working on, so keep going. Best wishes, Ric

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 08 April 2016

Maybe you can compare ease of cleaning between types. Hi Tek Powder(two kinds by the way powder vs liquid)leaves behind lots of coating residue inside of barrel after firing. Inside of barrel looked foggy and did not look clear after firing 10 rounds. Patch a little difficult to push down barrel. Accuracy was not TOO bad.

Attached Files

RicinYakima wrote: I have questioned several engineers that designed rocket nozzles for space launches. The most common opinion is that it is “molecular abrasion" or the products of combustion ripping the material off the bullet from leakage. That is how “lube” works, sacrificial material instead of the bullet. Only after it is abraded from the bullet does it vaporize to be laid down as leading in the barrel. NO PROOF, BUT THEY ARE SMARTER THAN ME!    I am following closely to see if the “scratch off” ease has any relationship to shooting effectiveness. This is all interesting stuff you are working on, so keep going.  Best wishes, Ric The tentative plan is to start each coating out at 2200 fps with a clean barrel,  gradually walk velocities up, and note the speed where each coating begins to shoot “wild.”      Maybe some sort of trend will emerge, or maybe not.   We'll see. It's conceivable that the coating may hold together, yet enough heat is transferred through the coating to cause the bullet to melt and shoot wild, anyway.     If that is the case then I don't know how to fix it other than a thicker and less heat conductive coating material, such as a paper patch.

Attached Files

OU812 wrote: Maybe you can compare ease of cleaning between types. Hi Tek Powder(two kinds by the way powder vs liquid)leaves behind lots of coating residue inside of barrel after firing. Inside of barrel looked foggy and did not look clear after firing 10 rounds. Patch a little difficult to push down barrel. Accuracy was not TOO bad. I'll certainly note the bore condition at the time the coated bullets “fail.”   

I'm still debating whether or not to lube the test bullets.     While most people don't lube their coated bullets, I have found that unlubed coated bullet may leave a bit of polymer fouling at rifle velocities.    Lube usually eliminates the polymer fouling and I've never seen any downside to using lube, other than the extra step at the reloading bench.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 08 April 2016

concerning uneven plastic coating .. could we establish a crude baseline by intentionally unevenly coating some bullets ?

how about applying additional coats of plastic with a brush to only 1/3 of the circumference front to back and try a few groups . plus normal wax lube ... i think .

after the results we could predict what and why the effect will be ( g ) .

if lopsided coating doesn't make a difference it would simplify test preparation .

ken

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 10 April 2016

After debating whether or not to lube the coated bullets, I elected to lube them with my usual HVR lube, because past experience tells me that sometimes coated bullets benefit from a lube, and that lube has never, ever hurt performance.   

All of todays bullets used air-cooled wheelweight, ~11 BHN, because that is what worked best with coated plain base in my 6x45 experiments.

All of today's bullets were nose sized to be a glove fit in the throat when seated with only the bottom band in the case.http://www.mountainmolds.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=561&start=10#p2468>already tested OBPU in this barrel and found that it began shooting wild somewhere around 2300 - 2400 fps depending on the coating thickness, the powder, and the pressure.    But we gave it another go today using the 22.5 gr. WC844 load.    Accuracy was poor so I did not waste time testing OBPU any further.  :(

The black powder coat shot poorly with the starting load so I did not test it any further.

ESC HI-Temp Bronze Silicone Powder Coat A few of these bullets flaked at the base while sizing, including the bevel or sometimes the side of the base.   Most did not flake so I only shot the un-flaked bullets.

After shooting the silicone-coated bullets, the barrel was clean near the throat and in mid-barrel, but there were streaks of lead at the muzzle end.

Hi-Tek shot decently with the starting load.   Yea! :)

I was running out of bullets and the last group at 2740 fps was shot with 6 bullets that I had set aside because they had significant flaking on their bases.    That group did open up noticeably, but was it due to the flaked bases or due to the higher velocity?

Attached Files

Re: flaking, brittle powder coat

The internets are telling me that flaking and brittleness is a sign of incomplete cure.   Well, I followed the instructions but ... I will try curing for a longer time period and retest.

Attached Files

Now they tell me -- when the powder coat instructions say “bake at 400F for 15 minutes,” what they really mean is “let the part sit in the oven until it reaches 400F, however long that takes, then let it stay in the oven for another 15 minutes.”  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

I want to give powder coat a fair chance to work before I give up on it.

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 11 April 2016

Adding 20 minutes to the recommended cure time and switching to the flat push-stems was a success!    No significant flaking while sizing. :cool:

So why did the hi-temp silicone powder coat shoot poorly even with a decent cure?    I don't know.   There was no leading, only some black polymer fouling.     For whatever reason, it didn't work well, so I have to admit defeat and move on.  :(

After shooting the 2909 fps polyester coat load, the barrel was squeaky clean except for some very light streaks of lead near the muzzle.   Many people would be happy with a barrel this clean but I consider any leading to be a sign that something is going wrong. 

Attached Files

Guys, it's been a while since anyone has told me that my alloy is too brittle, that I should use a 2-diameter bullet, that I should use H322 powder, that I'm using too much lube, or that I should check to see if my barrel is bent.

Come on, you're slipping.  :D  :D  :D   What do you think of my coating test so far?

Attached Files

45 2.1 posted this 11 April 2016

Hahahahaha............ It doesn't do any good to do those things. We are all waiting on your testing results. Until you give up, you won't try anything someone suggests.

On the heat cycle time for your coating, you need to look at the times used for heat treating..... those insure you have adequate soak time.

Keep up the good work........ so far it has matched what other people have done at that and higher velocity for a slow twist barrel. We do wonder what you could do with a gas check bullet though.

Attached Files

muley posted this 11 April 2016

mtngun, keep up the good work, its interesting that u are getting these readings with air-cooled ww. most of us have thought that those speeds would lead to leading problems. what is the burn rate of the WC 844 ?

Attached Files

45 2.1 wrote: Hahahahaha............ It doesn't do any good to do those things. We are all waiting on results. Until you give up, you won't try anything someone suggests.

On the heat cycle time, you need to look at the times used for heat treating..... those insure you have adequate soak time.Actually, it's hard to think of anything I haven't tried at one time or another, but people don't believe me and expect me to try them again.  :D

You don't want to cure the powder for too long because that also weakens the coating.   But they tell me that it's safer to err on the long side.

There are chemical tests you can do to check for complete cure but I don't have the chemicals (MEK) on hand.  

For now I am inclined to stick with the “add 20 minutes” rule.

Attached Files

muley wrote: mtngun, keep up the good work, its interesting that u are getting these readings with air-cooled ww. most of us have thought that those speeds would lead to leading problems. what is the burn rate of the WC 844 ? WC844 seems to be the military version of H335.    In any event H335 data works perfect in Quickload with my lot.

If you had told me a year ago that air-cooled WW would work best with coated plain base, I would not have believed you.     But the last time I tweaked BHN with coated plain base was at 2570 fps.   2900 fps may need a different alloy.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 11 April 2016

mtngun wrote: Guys, it's been a while since anyone has told me that my alloy is too brittle, that I should use a 2-diameter bullet, that I should use H322 powder, that I'm using too much lube, or that I should check to see if my barrel is bent.

Come on, you're slipping.  :D  :D  :D   What do you think of my coating test so far? Since you are feeling lonely because of a lack of kibitzers, I have a question about the Oven test in post #6.  I don't understand what is being found.  If you put bullets (bare, coated, or jacketed) in an oven and slowly raise the temperature it seems to me at very near the melting temperature of the core bullet the core would melt.  The coatings are so think that it is hard to imagine that they insulate the lead alloy very much.  Also hard to imagine that the .001” husk would hold the bullet's shape.  I am surprised that they all didn't turn into a puddle at about the same temperature.     Because the bullets didn't turn into puddles at the same temperature there is obviously something I don't understand.  Maybe the temperature wasn't raised slowly enough for the bullets to do what I expected and the small amount of insulation or reflection provided by the coating accounts for the difference observed between some coatings.  Help.     John      

Attached Files

John Alexander wrote: Since you are feeling lonely because of a lack of kibitzers, I have a question about the Oven test in post #6.  I don't understand what is being found.  If you put bullets (bare, coated, or jacketed) in an oven and slowly raise the temperature it seems to me at very near the melting temperature of the core bullet the core would melt.  The coatings are so think that it is hard to imagine that they insulate the lead alloy very much.  Also hard to imagine that the .001” husk would hold the bullet's shape.  I am surprised that they all didn't turn into a puddle at about the same temperature.    John Yes, the lead core will certainly melt before the coating.    The uncoated noses began slumping and puddling somewhere around 575 degrees just as you would expect.    Some lead would stay inside the “jacket” until the jacket melted or collapsed.  

The temperature was raised in slow 25 degree steps, except for the silicone coating which used 50 degree steps.

Well, we don't know exactly how the coating protects the lead base but obviously it does provide protection as I have proven with my previous “painted bases” experiment.     Perhaps coating functions as a thermal insulator that postpones base melting, or perhaps it functions as structural reinforcement that discourages gas cutting.    Or like a wax soft check, perhaps coating functions as a sacrificial layer that cools the powder gases adjacent to the bullet as it vaporizes.

How does a paper patch protect the lead core?    The thin paper offers little structural strength.    What would happen if you used a paper patch that stopped 0.050” short of the base (lets assume you use a water based glue to hold the patch in place) instead of twisting the patch around the base as per common practice?   Would such a bare-bottomed paper patch bullet still be able to shoot accurately at 3000 fps like Colonel Harrison's bullets?   I am skeptical that it would.

Or imagine an FMJ bullet where, instead of the jacket extending to the corner of the base, it stopped 0.050” short, and the remaining 0.050” would be groove diameter bare lead.   Would it still shoot accurately at high velocity?

Why did polyurethane coating fail at 2340 fps in this barrel while Hi-Tek and powder coat were able to keep going up to 2600 - 2700 fps?    I wish I knew.  

We can imagine several ways that a coating may “fail": -- flaking off -- melting or burning off -- structural weakness -- create a polymer fouling that impairs accuracy -- conducting enough heat to allow the lead base to melt  -- what else ??????????

How is your big move going, by the way?

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 11 April 2016

mtn... your recent target of blackpc at 2900 continues to bother me ... mainly that it is 1 inch wide although 4 inches high ... why didn't it blow shots in all directions ?? vertical stringing reminds me of playing with barrel tuners ... maybe 3000 fps would go back to a decent group ..

there ... i got that off my chest ...

ken, looking for patterns

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa wrote: mtn... your recent target of blackpc at 2900 continues to bother me ... mainly that it is 1 inch wide although 4 inches high ... why didn't it blow shots in all directions ?? vertical stringing reminds me of playing with barrel tuners ... maybe 3000 fps would go back to a decent group ..

there ... i got that off my chest ...

ken, looking for patternsI wondered the same thing, Ken, but didn't want to engage in far fetched theoretical speculation.    The 2900 fps load had very high velocity variation, so that's one thing.

Here's the velocity variation for yesterday's loads: Silicone @ 2329 fps -- 0.45% standard deviation (or 29 extreme spread) Polyester @ 2346 fps -- 0.87% (or 66 extreme spread) Polyester @ 2633 fps -- 4.56% (or 208 extreme spread)   Polyester @ 2777 fps -- 1.3% (or 87 extreme spread) Polyester @ 2909 fps -- 2.1% (or 197 extreme spread) 

So something velocity-related went to hell in a hand basket as velocity & pressure increased.    Note that the silicone coating had the most consistent velocity -- my guess is the silicone coating is a harder coating, harder to engrave, and that helped the powder burn better.

One thing that worries me is that the coating thickness gets thinner toward the top of the bullet, more on some bullets than others.   This is because of the way the coating is sprayed base-up, and because bullets on the perimeter of the fixture receive more coating than bullets in the interior of the fixture.    I don't care about coating thickness toward the top of the bullet as long as it is consistent -- but it's not consistent.   I'm wondering if bullets with thicker coating toward the top have more engraving resistance, and if that caused the velocity variation?

So I may need to work on my spraying technique and perhaps spread the bullets further apart.    Or perhaps apply a second coat with the bullets standing nose up.

Alternatively, if this load would agree to shoot a harder BHN accurately, that might also provide more consistent engraving resistance.

I could be barking up the wrong tree, but that's my thinking at the moment.

Attached Files

muley posted this 11 April 2016

mtngun, would it be feasible to use a rotating table and do one bullet at a time and use a small sprayer, such as a small touch-up sprayer, and spray each one a specified number of turns? it would take longer, but seems to be more consistent on thickness.

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 12 April 2016

muley wrote: mtngun, would it be feasible to use a rotating table and do one bullet at a time and use a small sprayer, such as a small touch-up sprayer, and spray each one a specified number of turns? it would take longer, but seems to be more consistent on thickness. A lazy susan setup is on my wish list, in the meantime the fixture is set on a large outer bearing race which allows the fixture to be rotated easily enough.   I spray one side of the fixture, rotate 90 degrees, spray that side, and repeat until all 4 sides have been sprayed. 

The problem is that the bullets are too close together, too tall, and the angle of the gun is pointing about 45 degrees down so most of the powder lands on the base of the bullet not the sides of the bullet.   I'll try giving the bullets more space and modifying the spray box so the gun can be held closer to horizontal.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 12 April 2016

How is your big move going, by the way?======== It's going to happen at the end of May.  Getting rid of enough stuff is hell.  I don't recommend it. John

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 12 April 2016

John: If you start dropping the heavy items along the trail like the pioneers, you can leave your shooting tunnel with me in Idaho. Serious big move, glad I'm not faced with that. Good luck. Gp

Attached Files

Which do you like better -- topless, or bottomless ?

Attached Files

As you may recall, the first batch of Hi-Tek bullets used in this test flunked the fingernail test.   While I did not time the bake exactly, it was intended to be 10 - 15 minutes at 350 F.

While baking the 2nd batch, again at 350F,  I had a “senior moment” and forgot about them until 3 hours later.  :P They were burnt!   Aargh :X ,    I figured I would have to throw them back in the pot and start over.       The last time I burnt Hi-Tek bullets, that made the coating flake off easily.   But .... that was at a higher temperature, which is one reason I reduced the temperature to 350.   

Anyway, the “senior moment” batch comes pretty close to passing the thumbnail test.   If I try really really hard I can scratch it slightly, but it's still a noticeable improvement over the first batch.    So I will go ahead and try shooting them.

A 3rd batch was baked for 20 - 25 minutes.    Notice the 3rd batch is darker and perhaps a little shinier than the 1st batch.

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 13 April 2016

mtngun: I believe your right about spacing the bullets a little farther apart when coating. We are tempted to put them in a tight grid to get more per bake but it's hard to get the gun at an acceptable angle when they are spaced tightly. My baking plates hold 36 bullets in a 9X11” plate and are about 1 1/2” OC. Gp

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 13 April 2016

Thanks for the suggestion on spacing, GpIdaho.

My original fixture used staggered 1/2” centers.    That was too close.

I sprayed some more bullets this afternoon leaving every other hole empty, effectively 1” centers.     And I cut down the front of my spray box so I could hold the gun nearly horizontal as I sprayed.   It worked much better, 90+% of the bullets had a good coat all the way to the fixture.   

I shortened the bake time to 25 minutes rather than 30 minutes like last time.   They pass the thumbnail test so I think they'll shoot well. :)

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 13 April 2016

mtngun: I might have mentioned this in a PM but I have found that with the polymer powders that anything above 10 min. after the powder flows will get the job done (@ 400 degrees) I have found that a little extra time does no harm so I usually bake for 20 min. after loading into preheated oven. Haven't had any cure problems at all this way.Gp

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 13 April 2016

10 minutes after the powder flows?   I can believe that. 

Next time I go to town I will try to pick up some MEK so I can test for cure.

Here's a good http://powdertechnology.com/Content/Powder_Coating.cfm>description of the curing process, and how to do the MEK test.

<>Pre-Melt The initial stage will have an appearance similar to freshly applied powder. Powder will be easily scratched off. Application of a low-moderate PSI air hose will not blow powder off in a cloud, but may be able to blow chip sections off. Topcoat may be applied, but not recommended.<>Continuous film Smoothness will be of a tight orange peel appearance. Typically the film will have a gloss higher than the specification for cured powder. Product will re-flow if exposed to heat. Any type of impact will result in shattering and severe loss of film adhesion.<>Gel Product has formed a continuous film and enough reaction has taken place in order to advance to a pre-cure state. It will not re-flow if exposed to heat. Impact will typically cause severe cracking with moderate loss of adhesion. Cure advancement is considered 50-70%. This is the optimal “Green Cure” stage.<>Pre-Cure The coating will have advanced to a stage where impact resistance is starting to develop. Cracking will be apparent with slight loss of adhesion possible. The gloss level will be slightly higher than a fully cured film. Chemical resistance remains poor and easy to differentiate between a fully cured film.<>Full Cure Optimal film properties will be achieved. In a primer application, cure has advanced to a stage where chemical interaction is minimized thereby decreasing the opportunity to reach full inter-coat adhesion properties.<>Over Cure The film will start to lose some flexibility, potentially shifting yellow in color and gloss may decrease below the expected full cure reported levels. Inter-coat adhesion is compromised and catastrophic failures likely.

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 17 April 2016

Today's goal was to test two new batches with Hi-Tek, we'll call them the “burnt” batch and “batch #3."     In addition to different cure times, each batch had different thickness depending on how thick the coating was mixed and how many coats were applied:

Batch #1 = 0.0007” thick, 0.0006” out-of-round Burnt = 0.001” thick, 0.0009” out-of-round Batch #3 = 0.0019” thick, 0.0008” out-of-round

Accuracy  at a given velocity was about the same as in post #15.

Groups did enlarge to 4” at 2900 - 3000 fps.     That isn't necessarily the coating's fault, though, because there were no extremely “wild” shots and no barrel fouling, as we shall see.        

The barrel was squeaky clean in the middle.

Conclusions: -- the longer cure time and flat punches eliminated adhesion problems. -- batch #3's thicker coating did not seem to help in any way. -- accuracy at higher velocities may be limited by other factors like BHN, because there was no sign of coating failure.

Things To Try With Hi-Tek In The Future: -- different BHN ? -- stick with the 20 minute/350F cure because that provides good adhesion with little risk of over-cure even if you leave it in the oven for 3 hours. :D -- stick with 2 or 3 thin coats about 0.001” total thickness because that seems to work as well as anything.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 17 April 2016

I noticed with the powdered version of Hi-Tek coating (gun metal gray) there was lots of black residue inside of barrel after firing. Maybe two coats was too much and only one coat will work better?

I do like the extra .001 diameter the coating adds to bore riding bullets. Less bullet tilting and more consistent small bug hole groups.

I do recall the seller of the Hi-Tek liquid version stating the Green color has less color solids. Less solids less fouling.

Attached Files

For some reason I was able to shoot oil-based polyurethane (OBPU) coated plain base up to 2570 fps in my 6x45 Contender but only up to 2200 - 2400 fps in this 6BR.   I wondered what had changed, since the 6BR's PacNor barrel is actually smoother than the 6x45's Shilen?

Well, one thing that changed is that I used to oven cure the polyurethane coating.   That started out as a way to hasten drying between coats.    Oven curing can also make some coatings harder and tougher, though that was not why I originally did it.     Anyway, I eventually stopped oven curing OBPU because it was an extra step and I didn't think it made a difference.

Just to be sure, let's try oven-cured OBPU in the 6BR.   These bullets received 4 thin coats and were cured for 30 minutes at 250F between coats.   After the final coat they were cured for 60 minutes.   Total thickness was 0.001".

Oven curing gives the polyurethane a gold tint, in case you were wondering.

Is coating failure to blame for the wild shot at 2763 fps?   I suspect the coating did fail because there was a tiny bit of gray leading on the lands near the muzzle.   The rest of the barrel was squeaky clean.

My interpretation of muzzle fouling is that it is caused by the heat of sliding friction, which is max at the muzzle.   By contrast, the heat due to temperature and pressure is max in the peak pressure zone, typically 2” - 6” beyond the throat.   

Attached Files

OU812 wrote: I noticed with the powdered version of Hi-Tek coating (gun metal gray) there was lots of black residue inside of barrel after firing. Maybe two coats was too much and only one coat will work better?

I do like the extra .001 diameter the coating adds to bore riding bullets. Less bullet tilting and more consistent small bug hole groups. Are you lubing your coated bullets?   I would sometimes see polymer fouling at higher velocities unless I used a lube in addition to the coating.

Yes, the added thickness could be useful for undersize bullets or undersize noses.    It's one more tool to control bullet fit.

I'll try to catch up on your Hi-Tek thread this evening. 

Attached Files

I used no extra lube.

Today I hit on a verygood combination that required just a tiny bit of LBT lube in the lube groove. The simpler we can keep things the better. I just hope I can back it up with a few good ten shot groups.

Attached Files

I liked your pictures of no barrel fouling so I ordered some Zombie Green to test also.

Attached Files

Today's goal was to see if post #18's results with powder coat were repeatable, and to tweak the coating thickness and some other things.  

First let's compare bare tops to bare bottoms.   

When the bare-topped bullet shot wild at 2775 fps, the only fouling I could find was some light streaks on the lands, near the muzzle.   The rest of the barrel was squeaky clean.

It's going to take me a while to digest all this information.   As of this moment I'm inclined to favor Hi-Tek for plain base bullets.   The downside of Hi-Tek is that it is not compatible with heat treating, but then again BHN 11 seems to work decent up to 2800 fps or so.

Bear in mind that this thread is only for plain base bullets.    Gas check bullets may play by different rules.  

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 24 April 2016

I was rained out this weekend and had been too busy to prepare more coated bullets, anyway, so no new shooting results to report.   Instead I'm spending the weekend catching up on getting bullets prepped and making dies, punches, and cases for the other calibers on my switch-barrel rifle.

I'm mostly not covering the subject of coating gas checked bullets in this thread because 1) they add complications and 2) getting a plain base to shoot with useful accuracy at high velocity is a more demanding test of a coating.   I figure that if I can get coated plain base to shoot well then coated gas check'd bullets should be a walk in the park.  :D

But .... one problem with coating gas checked bullets is that I typically heat treat my GC bullets, and some coatings are not compatible with heat treating.   For example, I tried heat treating Hi-Tek coated bullets and it “burnt” the coating, making it brittle and flakey.   

You can usually get away with heat treating powder coated bullets.   Worse case, you can quench them at their normal curing temperature and get 18 BHN or so.

But what if you want maximum BHN?  

One way is to heat treat the bullets first, then apply a coating that does not require curing.    I.e. rattle can epoxy, or polyurethane.    But those coatings benefit from curing, too, it's just that it's not absolutely necessary. :( 

Does polyurethane survive heat treating temperatures?   I've had mixed results, one time it seemed to work and another time it bubbled.     

Today I tried heat treating after a single coat of oil-based polyurethane.   It didn't bubble, but it did turn brown and splotchy.   If I tried hard enough I could scrape it off with my thumbnail.    Still, I suspect it is better than no coating at all?

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 24 April 2016

A couple more heat treated GC bullets, with the polyurethane baked on during the heat treating process.

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 01 May 2016

Finally some decent shooting weather .... if you don't mind a little drizzle and fog.  :D :D :D

I made some changes since last time.    I've never been satisfied with the way the rifle tracks on the bags -- it bounces around too much, especially with 7mm & up, plus the bigger calibers rap my shoulder, too.   So I tried a return-to-battery system that not only dampens recoil but also applies a bit of downward pressure to the gun, to reduce bouncing around.   You can laugh, but It seemed to help, so I think I'll keep it.

Today we tested minor tweaks to the same old coatings.   But instead of walking up the powder charge, all of today's loads were tested with 26.5 gr. WC844 at approximately 2700 fps, which previous tests showed was about as fast as most coated plain base bullets would go before groups increased noticeably.

Today's batch of Hi-Tek bullets received 2 thin coats for a total of 0.0006” thickness.   Out-of-roundness due to the coating was a trivial 0.00008".     Instead of 11 BHN wheelweight, today's Hi-Tek bullets used 15 BHN Rotometals reclaimed shot.

Tests to date suggest that it's beneficial to coat the base of the bullet as well as the sides.    That's easier said than done with powder coat but one way  is with the shake & bake method.    Powdered bullets were then transferred to a baking pan using long needle nose pliers (forceps have been ordered).    The pan was lined with parchment paper so bullets would not stick to the pan.   So far, so good.

As you can see, coverage was good with a single coat of shake & bake.   The problem with shake & bake is that the coating is seldom uniform.    This batch had 0.0013” out-of-roundness. :(   

The target speaks for itself.   Hi-Tek was clearly the best of today's coatings.    No significant difference between shake & bake PC vs. ESC PC.

"MR” = mean radius. "D10X” = Taran's predicted 10 shot group for that load.

Conclusions & Observations -- so far Hi-Tek is the winner for plain base bullets. -- I'm guessing that non-uniform powder coat thickness is causing unbalance. -- the 15 BHN alloy used with Hi-Tek did not hurt and may have helped -- no conclusions about the 18 BHN alloy used with powder coat -- all of today's loads had too much velocity variation, 1.8% to 2% standard deviation.    The slippery plain base bullets and minimal neck grip (only the bottom band is seated in the neck) don't create enough resistance to make the ball powder ignite well. :(

Things To Try In The Future -- fine tune Hi-Tek thickness by comparing 1 coat to 3 coats. -- try again to get a uniform thickness with powder coat -- try oven-curing water-based polyurethane -- as time & money allow, look for a powder that burns better with these bullets.   About the only likely candidate I have on the shelf at the moment is Varget.

FYI photobucket has been acting goofy lately and breaking a lot of the links to my photos.   So if a photo is not showing, holler at me.  

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 01 May 2016

i've never tried coating bullets so my question may be dumb but what experience have other coaters had in reducing the out of roundness caused by the coating on shake and bake coatings.  Are there techniques that reduce the out of roundness? John

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 01 May 2016

John Alexander wrote: i've never tried coating bullets so my question may be dumb but what experience have other coaters had in reducing the out of roundness caused by the coating on shake and bake coatings.  Are there techniques that reduce the out of roundness? JohnJohn, the internet is full of “my coated bullet is prettier than your coated bullet” posts and “my coated bullet went BANG without leading the barrel” posts but as for hard data, it's scarce.  :D  :D  :D      

Generally a thin coat is more likely to be uniform than a thick coat.   The nice thing about the shake-n-dry coatings is that you can mix them as thin as you like.   Similar to painting, several thin coats are generally better than one thick coat.

It's probably possible to create a uniform thickness powder coat but I haven't mastered the art yet.    I'll be trying some different techniques with powder coat before I give up on it.

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 02 May 2016

Following up on the gas check bullets with the OBPU + mica coating that was baked on during the heat treat process -- well, we already demonstrated that mica hurts rather than helps the OBPU.   Now we know that baking the OBPU at 470F does “burn” it such that it rubs off in the sizing die.

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 08 May 2016

Today I tested minor tweaks on coatings that have already been tested before. 

Unless otherwise noted, all of today's loads used Rotometals reclaimed shot, 15 BHN, HVR lube, nose-sized for a glove fit in the throat, and 26.5 gr. WC844.  All of the bullets had been sized 0.244” prior to coating.

Last time I had tested Hi-Tek with 2 coats, so this time I tried 1 coat and 3 coats.   The idea was to determine the ideal number of coats.

However Mr. Murphy had other plans for me. :X  Some flaking occured while nose-sizing the bullets.    That's not good!  :(

If I had to guess the flaking was due to under-cure because of a problem I have been having recently with my heat treat oven.   The door safety interlock seems to be dying and it cuts out randomly, making it difficult to do a timed bake at a set temperature.

Continued in the next post ....

Attached Files

Next let's try tumble powder coating.    Same basic principle as “shake & bake” but the tumbler does the work.   I was hoping it would produce a more even coating than shake & bake.

Baked for 30 minutes starting with a cool oven.    The coating turned out to be 0.0006” thick with 0.00035” out-of-roundness.    That's pretty good. :)

It shot better than I expected it to.   This is my personal best-to-date for plain base bullets at 2700+ fps. :fire   In fact, this is as accurate as gas check bullets in this particular barrel. :shock:

Attached Files

Next let's give ESC powder coat another whirl.    Previous batches had several deficiencies: -- no practical way to spray both the sides and the bottom of the bullet at the same time. -- coating was thin near the fixture. -- sometimes the coating thickness at any one band was uniform and other times it wasn't. -- bullets often fell over while moving the fixture from the spray box to the oven, and there is no room to maneuver forceps in my little heat treat oven.

This time I turned the air pressure down to 4 psi rather than the recommended 7 psi.   Less pressure results in a finer, thinner spray.   

So that I could use forceps to place the bullets in the oven, I moved the entire operation into the kitchen and used the kitchen oven -- not recommended because it's messy,  but this was an experiment for the sake of science. :D

Instead of using a fixture to hold the bullets securely while spraying, I simply stood them up on a metal plate.   That way the entire bullet would get sprayed other than the bottom of the base.   

Problem is that less powder sticks to the part of the bullet that is close to the plate (or fixture, if you are using a fixture).   I'm guessing that is due to the electrostatic field diffusing near the plate???     If you spray long enough you can get a good coating near the plate, but by then the coating will be too thick at the other end of the bullet !    So I compromised and tried to get at least a little powder near the plate. 

Forceps were used to pick the bullets up and then stand them up in the oven.   This was twice as hard as using forceps with the tumble method because there are twice as many opportunities to knock the bullet over -- once when you pick it up off the plate, and again when you set it down in the oven.   With the tumble method, you only have to contend with setting it down in the oven.

Not all of them were this thin near the base, but some were.   On average, the coating was 0.00085” thick at the front band and 0.00040” thick at the bottom band.    The lower air pressure did seem to improve the out-of-roundness which averaged 0.0005".

Conclusions: -- ESC'ing small caliber rifle bullets is hard.  :D  :D  :D -- some people perch the bullet on a screw head, rather than directly on the plate.   I'm not sure why they use the screw head method but I'm wondering if it changes the electrostatic field in a way that allows powder to stick more uniformly to the entire bullet? -- At this point I'm discouraged with ESC.   I'm not saying it can't be done satisfactorily, but I am saying it's hard with long skinny rifle bullets that fall over easily. :D   I can't imagine trying to balance them on screw heads? 

Attached Files

HEAT TREATING COATED BULLETS FOR HARDNESS:

So far my plain base coated bullets seem content with softer-than-normal alloys, 11 - 15 BHN.   Heat treating for hardness has not yet proven necessary for coated plain base.

But ... my GC bullets do seem to have a slight preference for harder bullets.   And sometimes I prefer a hard bullet for hunting big game even if there is no accuracy advantage, so it would be nice if there was a decent coating that was compatible with heat treating.

Hi-Tek is not compatible with heat treating.   I'm currently curing Hi-Tek at 350F for 20 minutes and that's not hot enough to produce much hardness.    Even if I go back to the factory recommended 380 - 400 for 8 - 10 minutes, that's not long enough for the bullet to get hard through and through.   I've tried curing Hi-Tek at normal heat treat temperatures for 30 minutes and that “burnt” the coating, making it weak and flaky.  

Powder coat can be quenched after curing, so that is an option assuming I can get TPCF to work satisfactorily -- which is looking good at the moment.

Another option is to heat treat prior to coating, then coat with polyurethane and allow to air-dry.    Air-dried polyurethane is not that great but it's better than nothing.

Anyway, today I tested air-dried water based polyurethane, to see if it would hold up any better than air-dried oil based polyurethane.   Nope.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 08 May 2016

hi mtn; very interesting ...and also entertaining !

i wonder if your very large ( g ) groups are caused by the faulty coating ...or merely because that coating isn't doing anything ...

if you had no coating at all, would your bad groups be the same as ” poor coating ” ?

it looks as if even in your ” poor coating ” groups at least some bullets strike near the intended impact area......3 good shots and 7 flyers ...

ken

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa wroteif you had no coating at all, would your bad groups be the same as ” poor coating ” ?

it looks as if even in your ” poor coating ” groups at least some bullets strike near the intended impact area......3 good shots and 7 flyers ...

kenIn the 6x45, uncoated plain base would not stay on the target backer above 2000 fps.    Though every gun is different and it will probably depend on the twist, the pressure, etc..

I did not post a picture of yesterday's 1-coat Hi-Tek group because only 2 bullets hit the cardboard target backer (but missed the white paper), the other 8 bullets missed all together.    So yeah, they really shoot wild without coating or if the coating fails.

Go try it in your rifle. 

Attached Files

billglaze posted this 08 May 2016

Mtngun: Originally my thinking was that your very thorough experiments would make a good article for The Fouling Shot.

Recently, my thoughts have carried beyond this into the realm of a more complete, extensive foray into the literary field. You are definitely approaching the point where, after more exploration and field work, a book could be published detailing your rather Herculean efforts toward higher velocity accuracy loading with cast bullets. Further, your writing is descriptive without being tedious, (a virtue that unfortunately seems to have escaped Dr. Mann's attention) and makes it easy for those of us reading to understand.

Admittedly, I do not claim to have read every tome related to casting, but most don't seem to deal with the field where you are doing so much ground work, which, ultimately, will benefit all those who have been following you down “the road less travelled.” Namely, accuracy at jacketed velocities. I realize that you have further to go on your Journey, but I have no doubt at your ability to reach your destination.

In the event, I would be first in the line to buy such a book. I realize that it's easy for me to say the above; after all, you're doing all the heavy lifting. Still, I just had to speak up.

Bill Glaze

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. My fate is not entirely in Gods hands, if I have a weapon in mine.

Attached Files

Thanks for the kind words, Bill.

If and when I can retire I would enjoy writing a book or three.

Attached Files

Pentz posted this 09 May 2016

Excellent experiment with clear methodology. Your well-documented approach and results certainly cannot be faulted. As an “older” caster I find the whole powder coat thing a bit of a technological fad that takes one away from quality range time. But, and a big but, I only shoot 30 cal and larger so am not qualified to comment on the smaller, faster bullets.

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 14 May 2016

A note on the TPCF (tumble powder coat + forceps) method.

The hard part, at least on small caliber rifle bullets, is using forceps to stand the bullet in the baking tray.     It helps if your body is steady and it helps if the baking tray is stable.

I tried forceping-while-standing and fumbled nearly every bullet. :(   Sitting in a chair worked much better for me.

At first I used sheet metal baking trays but all of my baking trays are warped and wobbly.   When you set the bullet down, the whole tray wobbles and knocks over the other bullets.   Much cussing and gnashing of teeth ensues.   :X

A cast iron skillet is more stable.      The sides of the skillet are in the way so eventually I'll acquire a cast iron griddle -- with low sides -- for this purpose. http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr235/mountainmolds/tpcf1may1316zps1goovyt1.jpg

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 14 May 2016

Today's plan was to 1) retest the 1-coat vs. 3-coat Hi Tek bullets  and 2) retest the TPCF bullets.    But it was Friday the 13th and Mr. Murphy had other ideas.  :D

Last time a problem with my heat treat furnace led to the Hi-Tek coating getting a faulty cure with poor adhesion.    This time I increased the 350F cure time from 20 minutes to 30 minutes, and I watched the furnace closely to make sure it didn't quit in mid-cure like it did last time.  

The cure was good and absolutely no flaking was observed while sizing the bullets.   You can see in the photo that the coating has a wet, glossy look -- that's a sign of a good cure.    An incomplete cure will have a duller, hazy finish.  

The 1-coat Hi-Tek bullets did get the proper 0.245” size, so at least we could give those bullets a fair test.    They shot wild -- 2 bullets missed the target all together and the remaining 8 had a 30” pattern.   Obviously 1 thin coat of Hi-Tek is not enough to do the job!

Other than the coating tweaks and the diameter screw-up, the load was the same as last week, 26.5 gr.  WC844 at ~ 2700 fps.

Attached Files

Paul Pollard posted this 14 May 2016

Here is something I made for heat treating bullets of different calibers: .22, .25 and .30. It keeps the bullets upright when moving into the oven. This doesn't help for the bases, but note the bullet stuck nose down in a hole at the right rear. Center drill might work for nose down.

Attached Files

Myflatline posted this 16 May 2016

I think your testing is great. The only time I have an issue with PC sticking is because of lube or oils. I wash my bullets in acetone and handle with disposable gloves. I tumble as well as spray.

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 16 May 2016

Myflatline wrote: I think your testing is great. The only time I have an issue with PC sticking is because of lube or oils. I wash my bullets in acetone and handle with disposable gloves. I tumble as well as spray.Do you coat small or medium caliber rifle bullets as well as pistol, and if so how do you place them in the oven?   Do you stand them up on the tray, or let them roll around?

I can see letting plinking bullets lay flat and lay next to each other but that can produce a flat spot on the coating that is undesirable for “serious” paper punching.   Getting rifle bullets to stand up on the tray is frustrating for me, being all thumbs.   :D

As for keeping the bullets clean prior to coating, I either coat as-cast or else if I size first then I clean the sizing die & push stem in solvent.     I've been pre-sizing most of the bullets in this shootout but only because it makes measuring the coating thickness more precise.   If not for that I would coat-as cast.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 16 May 2016

doggone it ... i am still trying ti get into the noe web site to see the above test reports ...

if only the noe instructions were as clear and informative as the postings of lmg, mtn, and the other recent terrific reports of actual rel time testing ...

i will keep trying to get into noe.... i hope our experimenters will keep trying to inform we less aggressive cast shooters ...

if not people with diverse personalities ... then who ??

ken

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 16 May 2016

mtn...re: racking bullets for coating ... hollow points ( or bases ) would seem to be one way ... just stick on pins on treatment racks.

mayhaps the slower casting times would be offset by higher quality on coating... and time spent racking ...

....or i could be wrong ...again ...

ken

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa wrote: mtn...re: racking bullets for coating ... hollow points ( or bases ) would seem to be one way ... just stick on pins on treatment racks.

ken Yes but ...  I don't make hollow point molds and target shooters want the best ballistic coefficient possible which isn't going to happen with a cast hollow point.

Last night I was making another batch and kept knocking over bullets while setting them on the pan in the oven.    So I moved the pan to the counter, where it was much easier to work on, successfully placed the bullets, and then oh-so-carefully moved the pan from the counter to the oven.    I got lucky and moved the pan without knocking over any bullets.    So maybe that is the better way to do.   It's challenging either way, especially if you are as clumsy as I am.   Of course all of this is just an experiment and maybe I'll eventually find an alternative coating method that is less hassle.   

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 16 May 2016

My HI-TEK powdered coating Zombie Green is a different color (one coat). I will give it another try with higher pressure loads and stronger alloy.

Attached Files

OU812 wrote: My HI-TEK powdered coating Zombie Green is a different color (one coat). I will give it another try with higher pressure loads and stronger alloy.Any idea how thick your coating is?    

Generally, the thicker the coating, and the longer & hotter you bake it, the darker the color.  

But all I care about is how it shoots.  :D

Attached Files

There are two versions of Hi-Tek coating.. liquid or powder. Which version are you using?

I mixed three parts acetone to one part HI-TEK powder, squirted about a teaspoon onto bullets, rattled bullets in cup until solvent evaporated, dried 30 minutes, baked at 390 degrees for 10 minutes.

Attached Files

I'm using the powder, too, but I must confess I do not measure the ratio, I just eyeball it.:P     But it's much much thinner than 1:3, I would guess 1:10 or thereabouts.      Whether that is good or bad remains to be seen but my thinking is that multiple thin coats are more likely to produce a uniform thickness than one or two thick coats.     Multiple coats are more work but still a breeze compared to forceping powder coated bullets. :D

Attached Files

1:3 ratio is about what HI-TEK recommends. I will try diluting it more for a more purdy color. Thanks for the tip.

I tumbled my bullets in sand before coating. Coating added about .002 to diameter. I then sized bore ride section .221

Attached Files

OU812 wrote: Coating added about .002 to diameter.Thanks for the info.   

Attached Files

I'm new to the forum and still do not know how to post pictures.  So if you can envision.. I mostly spray .35 caliber.  Drill out the primer pocket on a 380/9mm, I use a square of aluminum sign board, drill 1/8th inch holes.  My sheets hold 56 bullets ( that's what would fit in the toaster over)  I stand them up and spray, then re-size while gas checking. The .30 took a little more work but 270 casings with do with a bit of coaxing.  the 44's , I tumble and stand on non-stick aluminum foil. Need to spend some more time here for pictures. Hope that helps

Attached Files

I think I figured it out .>

Attached Files

Guess I don't have it figured out.

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 17 May 2016

Myflatline wrote:   I stand them up and spray, then re-size while gas checking. The .30 took a little more work but 270 casings with do with a bit of coaxing.  the 44's , I tumble and stand on non-stick aluminum foil. Need to spend some more time here for pictures. Hope that helpsWhen you hold bullets in cartridge cases, does the part of the bullet near the case receive just as much powder as the part of the bullet furthest from the case?

I ask because when propped up bullets in holes drilled directly into the aluminum plate that I used as a fixture, the part of the bullet near the plate did not receive nearly as much powder as the rest of the bullet.    I'm wondering if propping the bullet up away from the ground plate, either with cartridge cases as you have done, or sitting on screw heads as some do it, if that changes the electrostatic field in a beneficial way?

Thanks for sharing how you do it.  :)

Attached Files

Myflatline posted this 17 May 2016

I have not seen a difference in consistency. I have it where the gas check gets no spray. make's it soooooo much easier checking.  I think the key to spraying is a good ground and contact.  At times I grind a corner of the plate to ensure contact.  I have not personally pushed over 1800 fps but have friends who have hit 2300.  I stopped at accuracy :D still working on the picture stuff, but getting sub 1” at 50 yrds with the 35 and 44. I had some PC chip during sizing, found out my toaster over lost an element.  I have since gotten a wall oven from a thrift store, can run 2 plates at a time. I love learning, so don't stop the testing  Jim

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 17 May 2016

I have enough batches of TPCF under my belt now to have a pretty good feel for what it is capable of.

thickness:   0.00055", 0.0008", 0.0010", 0.0008", 0.0012", 0.0006", 0.0006"

average thickness = 0.0008"

out of roundness = 0.0007", 0.00035", 0.0006", 0.00054", 0.0007", 0.00035", 0.00034"

average out of roundness = 0.00051"

Not bad, but not great either.   Just so-so.  

Tonight I tried a new-to-me powder, an epoxy-polyester hybrid.    Epoxy powders have largely been replaced by polyesters because epoxies fade in sunlight.     But they're still sometimes used as a primer coat because they stick well.   They're also more chemical resistant, but I don't think our bullets care about that.   :D

Anyway, I wanted to try an epoxy or a hybrid powder just to satisfy my curiousity.    This is Cardinal brand almond epoxy-polyester semi-gloss.    As you can see it's a little splotchy because it is thin in places.     The 30's coating averaged 0.0008” thick while the 6's coating averaged only 0.00055” thick.   To my eye the 6's coating is thinner than I would prefer.   

I have not yet settled on an optimal coating thickness -- and the optimal thickness for plain base might be different than for gas check -- but so far 0.0006” - 0.0015” has shot the best.    Let's split the difference and say 0.001” thick might be optimal. 

That might require 2 thin coats of TPCF, rather than trying to do it all in one coat.   :(

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 19 May 2016

Since 1 coat of the hybrid PC was thin and splotchy, I made another batch with 2 coats.   It's less splotchy but still not as consistent as a gloss polyester PC.   Plus the hybrid PC has sort of an orange peel texture, especially the 2-coat batch.  Here's some close-ups to compare the textures:

Attached Files

Myflatline posted this 19 May 2016

Gentlemen, I do not want to cause issues with my postings.  We are somewhat at apples and oranges in bullet style and caliber.  I cast and coat mainly 35 and 44 caliber bullets.  I personally have not tried to push to the upper limits.  When working with the 35, I stopped at @ 1750 fps with a sub 1” group. 

Attached Files

I have done the same with the 44 cal.  I am developing hunting loads.  Not testing the way MTNGUN is.  I prefer the ES coating over the tumble for testing but prefer to spay once I am satisfied.

Attached Files

I have gone as far as having Accurate make a special mold with no lube grooves.  A very accurate combination .

Attached Files

I hope to gain knowledge from everyone here. Was just sharing what I have done.

Jim

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 29 May 2016

Myflatline wrote: I have gone as far as having Accurate make a special mold with no lube grooves.  A very accurate combination .I have an upcoming TFS article on that subject.   Grooveless bullets are less accurate than grooved bulllets, especially at higher velocities.    Grooves do much more than merely hold lube.

I appreciate seeing your targets and your ESC technique, Myflatline.  :)    You are welcome to contribute your two cents worth.   

Re: ESC.    I'm taking a break from ESC because I was having problems with what I now know was a “Faraday Cage” effect that created a dead zone where powder did not want to stick.   I suspect that “propping up” the bullet, either by standing it on a screw head or by sticking the nose into an empty case, moves the bullet away from the Faraday cage.     I'll eventually revisit  ESC but my impression so far is that ESC is much more work than tumbling.    Tumbling may look “ratty” as my fellow Idahoan put it, but pretty is as pretty does.  

Attached Files

An update:  In a previous post I had great success with tumble-powder-coated (TPCF) plain base bullets (photo below), without even trying hard.    41 consecutive shots averaged 1.54” ten-shot groups.    I was optimistic that with a little tweaking, perhaps groups could improve even more?    But as usual, Mr. Murphy had other plans for me .....   :X

I don't think it matters how many coats you apply to achieve that 0.001” thickness, as long as the resulting thickness is uniform.     That said, in general it is easier to achieve a uniform thickness by applying several thin coats instead of one thick coat.   

My TPCF process has been averaging about 0.0006” out-of-roundness, or at worst 0.001” out of round.     No out-of-roundness is desirable, but 0.0006” is tolerable. 

My Hi-Tek process is a little better, providing I use multiple thin coats.   For example, the 0.0009” thick batch that we'll shoot later in this post averaged 0.0002” out of round.  ;)

Many people would have declared a victory after the 1.54” average target posted above, but I wanted to make sure it was repeatable on demand.   Over the years I've learned the hard way that hi-velocity accuracy can vary quite a bit from day to day.  :(   

Here was the next serious attempt.   The groups are numbered in the order that they were fired.

1 & #2 were an attempt to switch from the proven load of WC844 to Reloader 10.   WC844 does not burn well in this low-pressure load, with velocity variation sometimes running 200 fps.   RL10 burned much better but nonetheless showed no love for this bullet, so I gave up on RL10 and went back to WC844.

3 & #4 were WC844 and the latest batch of Hi-Tek.  

5 - #8 were the hybrid epoxy powder coat.   It started out decent but every subsequent group was larger than the one before.   Usually when that happens it is due to fouling but the borecam showed a squeaky clean barrel, so I dunno what went wrong on group #8 ??? :(    Note that velocities were a good 20 fps higher with the hybrid coating, suggesting that maybe the hybrid coating is harder than polyester PC.   That would be consistent with what I have heard about epoxy PC.

9 & 10 were an experiment to see if this load prefers harder BHN.   The Rotometals reclaimed shot bullets were quenched at the end of the 400F powder coat curing step.   The target says 18 BHN but I meant to say 20 BHN.    It's just a guess in any event because I haven't actually measured this particular alloy after a 400F quench.    The load showed no love for the harder BHN.   Note that the velocity increased quite a bit with the harder bullets due to higher engraving pressure.

Continued in the next post .....

Attached Files

I had made 2 batches with the hybrid epoxy coating.   The batch shot in the previous post was 2 coats 0.0012” thick, while the batch we will shoot in this post was 1 coat 0.00055” thick.    I'm pretty sure 0.00055” is too thin but oh well I might as well try them.   More data is always a good thing.  ;)

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 30 May 2016

Instead of improving on that 1.54” target, I have not even been able to repeat it!  :P    What the heck happened?

Either 1) that 1.54” target was pure luck  or 2) something changed.

Luck?   41 lucky shots in a row?    It's possible, but flipping a coin and getting “heads” 41 times in a row is not mathematically probable.  :(  

Something changed?  

1) I typically only coat 40 - 50 bullets per batch because I shoot 40 at a time (4 ten-shot groups plus a fouling shot).    Plus, that's about how many bullets fit comfortably in the pan that I use for curing.   :D  So every batch of coated bullets has the potential to have a slightly different coating than the batch before.

2) there is no micrometer depth adjustment for my nose-sizing die.   I'm frequently switching from one caliber to another or from one bullet design to another, which means I'm frequently swapping nose dies or at least changing the depth setting.    What I've been doing to set the sizing depth is record the diameter for each sized band and then try to adjust the depth to duplicate those diameters.   But I sometimes lose track of the diameters (I don't remember what they were for the 1.54” target) and it's not super repeatable anyway.

3) I may have made some minor tweaks to the neck tension.    Naturally, I didn't write that down because I didn't think it was important. 

4) Most of these coated bullets are air-cooled after curing, which usually results in 15 BHN for the Rotometals reclaimed shot.   But not all air-cooling is equal.   Sometimes I have taken the pan out of the oven and set it outside to in the cool air where it will cool faster.   Other times I set it on top of the oven.   Other times I let them cool by leaving them in the oven with the oven door open.    Well, the rate of air-cooling can definitely affect the hardness.     The bullets that I set outside to cool were probably harder than the bullets that cooled in the oven with the door open.

Things to Try Next Time and Down The Road: -- I haven't made up my mind about the hybrid coating.   But it's a pain to switch the tumbler from hybrid to polyester, so I'll probably stick with polyester for a while.

-- long term, I would like a fast, repeatable way to set the nose-sizing depth.   That may require moving nose sizing from the lubrisizer to the reloading press.

-- revisit BHN for this load.   Settle on a repeatable method of air-cooling after curing.  

-- eventually I want to experiment with different powders, different bullet designs, other calibers, etc..   But that's going to happen slowly. 

Attached Files

Myflatline posted this 30 May 2016

Are you still lubing along with the coating? The bold red stripes suggest it.

Attached Files

Myflatline posted this 30 May 2016

mtngun wrote: Myflatline wrote: I have gone as far as having Accurate make a special mold with no lube grooves.  A very accurate combination .I have an upcoming TFS article on that subject.   Grooveless bullets are less accurate than grooved bulllets, especially at higher velocities.    Grooves do much more than merely hold lube.

I appreciate seeing your targets and your ESC technique, Myflatline.  :)    You are welcome to contribute your two cents worth.   

Re: ESC.    I'm taking a break from ESC because I was having problems with what I now know was a “Faraday Cage” effect that created a dead zone where powder did not want to stick.   I suspect that “propping up” the bullet, either by standing it on a screw head or by sticking the nose into an empty case, moves the bullet away from the Faraday cage.     I'll eventually revisit  ESC but my impression so far is that ESC is much more work than tumbling.    Tumbling may look “ratty” as my fellow Idahoan put it, but pretty is as pretty does.  

I do not know at what velocities you are pushing for but I would assume with the style bullet around 2500 fps.  At this time, all of my loads are under 2000 fps.  That no groove 35 cal. , is a 1.25” at 100 yards bullet out of two different lever guns.  I will post some pictures later. Now,  before I spray, I wash my bullets in Acetone preferably, to remove any oils or whatnot.  I handle the bullets with gloves , while loading them in the trays.  This has made a big improvement on the bonding of the PC. Keep up the good testing.

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 01 June 2016

Do I see 2 grooves on your “no groove” bullet?   Plus the groove above the gas check? http://www.castbulletassoc.org/attachment.php?id=6714

I'm not picking on you, Myflatline, but anytime someone makes a claim that “such and such design/alloy/lube/whatever works good,”   I always think to myself “compared to what?”   Side by side testing with a control load that demonstrates a significant difference in performance compared to the control, provides some context and makes the claim more meaningful.

Acetone wash?   Suit yourself, but if coated as-cast, there should be no need.   If sizing before coating, I first wash the sizing die & its push stem in solvent to remove residual lube.    Haven't had a problem with adhesion as long as the cure time was good and the oven controller behaves itself.   There was a learning curve for getting the cure time right (I'm currently using 25 - 30 minutes for the final coat) and one of my ovens has a flakey switch that likes to cut out in the middle of a cure, but I've been watching those things closely and cures seem to be good for me lately.  

How long are you curing, Myflatline?     

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 01 June 2016

Update on BHN:   I'm looking into BHN as part of the “what the heck might have changed?” investigation.    Until now I did not have a way to measure  the hardness of 6mm bullets because my hardness tester uses a 5/16” ball (I tried the 5/16” ball on the base of a 6mm bullet and it deformed the entire base, throwing the measurement off).      Normally I use a 45 caliber cylindrical mold to make samples for hardness testing & density testing.   

So .... made a 4mm indentor for my hardness tester, and scrounged up some lighter test weights (a couple of small barbell weights hung by a string).    I filed the coating off the base of my 6mm spitzers, then filed a little more to clean up the sprue area and get down into solid metal.   I don't like to measure hardness on the base because sometimes there is porosity around the sprue area that can throw the measurement off.   However, the spitzer bullets give me no other choice.

I also had to make a little fixture to hold the spitzers nose-down while I'm measuring them. I use my USB microscope to take a photo of the indentation, and then use GIMP's pixel measuring tool to measure the itty bitty indentation.  

That done, now I can measure the hardness of 6mm spitzers!   For scale, the tics on the ruler are tenths of an inch.   As Joe would say, are you impressed?   :D

0.0009” thick Hi-Tek, rotometals reclaimed shot, from post #86:  17 BHN

0.0012” thick hybrid PC, rotometals reclaimed shot, from post #86:  18 BHN

0.0006” thick black PC, rotometals reclaimed shot, targets #11 & #12 in post #86:  14 BHN

0.0010” thick TPCF, rotometals reclaimed shot, post #87:  13 BHN 0.0023” thick TPCF, rotometals reclaimed shot, post #87:  14 BHN

2-coat Hi-Tek, rotometals reclaimed shot, from post #47 that shot decent    : 14 BHN

Mystery black TPCF, might have been the shake&bake PC from post #47 :  26 BHN

What useful information does this provide?

Most of my air-cooled reclaimed shot batches were 14 BHN,  but two batches were were 17-18 BHN.   I'm guessing those batches were cooled after curing by setting them outside on a cool day.     In the future I will air-cool all bullets after curing by setting them on top of the oven.   That should provide a slow cool and a consistent hardness from batch-to-batch.  

Quenching reclaimed shot at 400F produces 26 - 29 BHN, harder than I anticipated.

There were no bullets left over from the 1.54” batch, so I'll never know for sure how hard they were:cusout:   , other than to say they were air-cooled Rotometals reclaimed shot, normally 14 - 15 BHN.  Since the Hi-Tek bullets from post #47 that shot decent were 14 BHN,  that gives me reason to believe that 14 BHN should be OK for this load.   I dunno if 14 BHN is optimal, but it's at least decent.

I may do a few BHN comparisons at the next range session, but so far I'm not seeing any smoking gun that would explain why I can't repeat the 1.54” results?  :( 

Attached Files

Myflatline posted this 02 June 2016

In my opinion, take that as you may, that is a very hard bullet for hunting and expansion. If all you are trying to do is punch paper and push cast to the limits, that is fine. Again, we are comparing apple and oranges but my cast is on average of a 10 BHN and is fine under 2000 FPS. Mine is specifically for hunting.

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 02 June 2016

Myflatline: With my apologies to the Op , just one more thing and then I'll butt-out of this thread. I guess you could say that we're each using this emerging technology of coated bullets to very different ends. mtngun it seems, is trying to see just how fast one can get lead to fly through a small hole in a far off target. To what useful end, I can only see it as a sport unto it's self or as a home craft sniper round. All well and good, we all like hitting far off objects with our cast shooting guns. You and I enjoy the cleanliness of the coated bullets in our guns and loading tools and for you and many others there's the added benefit in that they make excellent soft alloy bullets for hunting game animals. On the other end of the firing line is what I've been working on from the start ( See my post from over a year ago called 357 Heavys) That being rounds suitable for hard hitting subsonic suppressed. We're all toying with the same sort of bullet technology, just to different ends and that is part of what makes this cast bullet thing fun for all of us. Gp

Attached Files

Myflatline posted this 02 June 2016

You are correct, my apologies to the OP. I get caught up in my own little world at times.

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 02 June 2016

that is a very hard bullet for hunting and expansion. If all you are trying to do is punch paper and push cast to the limits, that is fine. Again, we are comparing apple and oranges but my cast is on average of a 10 BHN and is fine under 2000 FPS. Mine is specifically for hunting. At the moment I am focused on punching paper but I also use cast for hunting and prefer hard bullets for hunting.  Eastern whitetail hunters worry about expansion but in my state the deer, elk, and bear seasons overlap so most people use their elk load for everything.   An elk load will kill a deer just fine but not necessarily the other way around.    If you would put a big meplat on your 35 caliber bullet, it would not need to expand to be effective.   http://www.mountainmolds.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=155&p=388&hilit=hunting%2C+elk#p388>A 35 caliber blunt hard cast bullet will reliably punch through both shoulder bones of an elk.  I would not want to try that shot with your 10 BHN alloy.

Yes, GPIdaho and MyFlatline, we're approaching coatings with different goals.    There is no right or wrong goal.    But let me explain my goal.

Low velocity cast?   It's been done a million times before, with both conventional lubed bullets and with coated bullets.    Therefore it bores me.

As far as I know, coated bullets have yet to demonstrate any superiority at low velocity.   They haven't set any new CBA records.    

Yes lots of plinkers like to coat their bullets for various reasons.   Less smoke, less leading, cheaper, prettier, etc..    That's fine, but the lube I use does not smoke noticeably, my lubed bullets don't lead unless there is something wrong with the gun, I'm already set up to lube so the cost of the lube equipment is not an issue for me, and I'm not into the “my coated bullet is prettier than your coated bullet” game that seems to be popular on the internet.  :D    

My interest in coatings is doing things that can't be done with conventional lubed bullets -- like pushing plain base bullets to 2700 fps with useful accuracy.    Hence this thread focuses on coated plain base at high velocities. 

There may also be a slight accuracy advantage to coated GC bullets at high velocities, but note that a coating is not needed to prevent leading.      Several people including myself have shot conventional lubed GC bullets at 2700 - 3000 fps with little or no leading.    

Attached Files

Myflatline posted this 03 June 2016

Mtngun, again, I meant no offence and I hope you understand that I too have a desire to excel with my casting and coating. What I forgot, was that we have 2 different ( but same) goals in mind. Unfortunately, I got caught up in mine and did not see where you were going. My Apologies.

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 03 June 2016

Nothing to apologize for, Myflatline.    I tend to be very focused on what I am trying to do at any given moment and am easily annoyed by any distractions.   It's a weakness of mine.   But I did make a mental note of your ESC fixtures and will probably attempt something similar when I get around to it, so thanks for that suggestion. :)

Back to the “what the heck happened to my 1.54” load?” investigation .... one of the issues that I am taking a closer look at is the repeat-ability of the nose sizing depth.     In the perfect world there would be a micrometer depth adjustment that you could write down and dial in on command.    In the meantime, is there any way to measure the depth setting on an RCBS lubrisizer?     Well, with a little practice I was able to measure this with about 0.005” repeat-ability.    The painted, as-cast lubrisizer frame leaves a lot to be desired as a measuring surface, so when time allows maybe I'll lightly mill that area.

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 05 June 2016

I lightly milled the lubrisizer at the measuring point.   Now I can use calipers to set the nose-sizing depth and get repeatability within about 0.003".   Yea ! :)

Another problem was the lock nut kept working loose and allowing the depth adjustment to drift.   So while the lubrisizer was torn apart to be milled I also drilled and tapped for a locking screw.   You can't see it but a little piece of copper protects the threads from being damaged by the locking screw.  

Attached Files

This thread is supposed to be a “Coating Shootout” not a “BHN Shootout” so I have been trying to keep load tweaking to a minimum.  However the mystery of the non-repeatable 1.54” target is forcing me to take a closer look at my load.     Today I compared different alloys looking to see if one BHN was better than another.

All of today's loads used the same nose-sizing depth described in the previous post.  

All of today's loads used WC844 powder, but I did sometimes tweak the charge in an attempt to maintain my 2700 - 2750 fps velocity goal.

All of today's Hi-Tek loads used 3 coats about 0.0004” thick per coat.  Cured 30 minutes at 350F.    Then air-cooled on top of the warm oven.   

All of today's PC loads used 2 thin coats of Eastwood Blue in the tumbler.   The first coat was cured 12 minutes at 400F, the second coat 30 minutes at 400F.   Then air-cooled on top of the warm oven.   I'm not sure if those cure times are optimal -- I keep saying I will buy the chemicals to do a cure test, but then I always forget to buy them when I go to town.  :D

All of today's coated bullets seemed to have good adhesion.  They passed the thumbnail test and there was absolutely no flaking while sizing.

All of today's BHN numbers were verified by measuring a coated bullet from the particular batch, rather than making an estimate based on previous experience.

First up, J.R. reclaimed shot and Hi-Tek.   The first group shot lousy so I did not waste time with additional groups.   Note the velocity was low -- soft bullets shoot slower than hard bullets.

Attached Files

Next up a GC version of the 75 grain bullet.   I had wondered if my coated plain base sometimes fail due to the coating failing at the base?   If so then a GC should solve that problem and shoot much better.    I tried to make the GC bullet as similar as possible to its BB cousin.

Same bullet, same alloy, BHN 14,  but with tumble PC.   No accuracy here so I gave up after the one group.

I was surprised that adding a GC seemed to make accuracy worse, not better. :shock:   You would think that a GC could only help?   Plus, this rifle has usually shot at least 2MOA with GC bullets.     Either it hates this particular bullet or else something screwy is going on?

Continued in next post ...

Attached Files

Next, Hi-Tek coated clip-on wheelweight, BHN 11.    Officially this pot of alloy is labeled “scrap” because when I have scrap mystery lead, which is mostly either stuff that falls on the floor or else unlabeled bullets left over from experiments, it goes in the “scrap” pot.   But it's usually mostly wheelweight.  

Uninspiring accuracy, and note the low velocity because the BHN was only 11.

Attached Files

Next, Hi-Tek with my 2nd batch of Rotometals reclaimed shot.   Initial tests of this batch showed only 10 BHN when air-cooled, but today's tests were running 13 - 14 BHN, about the same as my 1st batch of Rotometals reclaimed shot.

FINALLY some decent accuracy!  :dude:

But why was accuracy good?   What was different?    Is 14 BHN magic?   Does accuracy fall off a cliff when BHN drops to 12 or 11?

Note that this load combination is pretty much identical to the Hi-Tek target in post #47, so at least this particular load seems to give repeatable results.  

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 05 June 2016

mr. mtn. ::

ok, initiation is over ...

you made the team .

welcome to cast bullets ... ( g ) ...

ken

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa wrote: mr. mtn. ::

ok, initiation is over ...

you made the team .

welcome to cast bullets ... ( g ) ...

kenHa ha ha  :D  :D  :D

Attached Files

stevebarrett posted this 05 June 2016

I have also found gas checks can make things worse. I made up some .38 Specials using nominal 158gr semi-wadcutters sized to .357 in a Saeco lubrisizer. The bullets were lead with 5% tin and either 5% or 11% antimony. I used four different charges of 2.8-3.4 Nobel 3, and shot paired targets with the only difference being the presence or absence of brass gas checks. The revolver was fixed in a Ransom rest. Velocities were mostly 6-700fps. Using OnTarget to measure groups sizes, in every pair the gas checks gave a larger group, which was highly significant when the results were pooled ”€œ p = 0.00026. Similar to the above, I also tried out dental wax gas checks in a 9mm Luger with Lee 356-125-2R  bullets not designed for gas checks - likewise lead with 5% tin and 5, 7, 9 or 11% antimony and a constant 4.6gr HP38; unsized. Pooling the final results of 180 shots with, and 180 without, dental wax gas checks, the results were again better without gas checks ”€œ p = 0.00000014. I know gas checks are mostly advocated for rifle cartridges, but I figured that if I shot enough handgun rounds I might discover a slight advantage. Finding gas checks gave worse results did come as a surprise.

Attached Files

45 2.1 posted this 05 June 2016

Yeah, a reaction................ Accuracy comes when you get several items working together, not just one or two. Alloy is one of the top items... along with hardness thereof. If you can duplicate results, then you should learn something from it.

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 08 June 2016

Today's goal was to try to duplicate the results with Hi-Tek & BHN 14 in posts #103 (average 1.73")  and #47 (average 2.26").

Also, we looked around for another alloy that would also be 14 BHN, and came up with some 30 year old ingots of  20% lino / 80% WW.   So we tested that alloy with Hi-Tek, too.

Groups are numbered in the order that they were shot.   All of today's loads used the 75 gr. bevel base, Hi-Tek coating, HVR lube, and WC844 powder.   All of the new batches of Hi-Tek were cured at 365F for 20 minutes -- an experimental departure from my previous routine of 350F for 30 minutes.    The powder charge was tweaked slightly from group to group in an attempt to maintain my self-imposed velocity window of 2700 - 2750 fps -- easier said than done when the extreme spread is sometimes 200 fps. :X

Groups #1, 3, 4, & 5.    What I call “Roto #2", my second purchase of reclaimed shot from Rotometals.    0.0011” thick Hi-Tek, 0.0006” out-of-round.    I did not have any leftover bullets to verify the BHN, but this alloy usually runs 14.    Average group = 1.63"

Groups #2, 6, 7, & 8.    20% lino, 80% clip-on wheelweight.    I must have accidentally given it an extra coat because this batch came out 0.0015” thick and 0.0005” out-of-round.    BHN of a cured bullet verified at 13.8.   Average group = 2.44"

Group #9.    The Roto #2 batch left over from post #47.    "going nowhere."  :D  :D  :D   

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 08 June 2016

although we all strive for the 1 inch group ( the americfan way, y know ) ...

we should remember that 3 inch groups at 2700 fps with ( almost ) plain base cast is very usable and to my mind ....astounding !

of course it would be even more impressive if you could shoot a few targets with basically the same load ... but with the old school waxy lube instead of ” plastic ” protection .

i haven't used a gas check for 15 years, and so view your progress with extra fervor ....geepers i might be able to break 1400 fps some day using your techniques ... and although i am mostly a plinker guy, ... plain base cast at high velocity might be desireable in survivalist scenarios .

3 moa is excellent compared to the 4 to 6 moa i attained with my gi garand ....and that accuracy held back a lot of nasty people 70 years ago ... thank you for your efforts ... ken

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 08 June 2016

I noticed as alloy got softer groups improved...try softer. Seems smaller calibers can use softer alloy with higher pressures. 

I would skip the HIGH TEK coating and try less waxy lube...does your lube method allow lubing just one or two grooves. Keep an open mind and make changes...less lube will work in smaller calibers.

I learn more from big changes than from small.

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 08 June 2016

OU812 wrote: I noticed as alloy got softer groups improved...try softer.

I would skip the HIGH TEK coating and try less waxy lube...does your lube method allow lubing just one or two grooves.

I learn more from big changes than from small.

Keep an open mind and make changes...less lube will work.Thanks for reading my thread and thinking about my fussy load, OU812.   :)

So far in this barrel/load I have tried 11 BHN, 12 BHN, and 13 BHN on the softer side, not to mention 20 - 26 BHN on the hard side.   In a 6x45 I tried as soft as 8 BHN with coated plain base bullets.   (The 6x45 was also very fussy about coated plain base BHN, preferring 11 BHN at 2500 fps.   I never tried 14 BHN in it.)

Without coating, a plain base bullet would not hit the target at 2700 fps.   Coating is not optional.

I haven't tried leaving some grooves empty in this particular barrel, but I've tried it in several other barrels and it never showed the slightest advantage.    See http://www.mountainmolds.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=507>this experiment, for example.    That's not to say that it might not be worth trying again as time allows.

I'll be trying a few Eagan-type bullets soon, that only have the one itty bitty lube groove.   It will have a GC though, and a long bore riding nose, so it's a different animal.

Thanks again for your suggestions.   I'm enjoying your 223 threads.  :)

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 08 June 2016

My Bad...I hate it when I respond to a tread without reading and understanding it fully. OK I went back and reread...I understand it a little better now (no gas check and nearly the same alloy).

Gas check would help with softer alloy, but you have probably been there and done that.

I do not have a clue, but sometimes I get lucky and discover a load that shoots verywell in one rifle. This will have me thinking a know everything...NOT!

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 09 June 2016

OU812 wrote: I do not have a clue, but sometimes I get lucky and discover a load that shoots very well in one rifle.

...Sometimes that's the way I feel, too.  :D

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 20 June 2016

Today we did a cure time shootout for powder coat.

The usual 75 gr. bevel base, 26.3 gr. WC844, Rotometals reclaimed shot.   I didn't verify the BHN of each and every batch of cured bullets because there were so many batches, but I did measure one Durable Black bullet (12.3 BHN) and one Almond Hybrid bullet (13.1 BHN). 

Coating was applied in a tumbler.   Only one coat.  The Durable Black averaged 0.001” thick, while the Almond Hybrid averaged 0.0007” thick.    All the Durable Black bullets were tumbled at the same time, and all the Almond Hybrid bullets were tumbled at the same time.   The only variable was the cure time.

Only one 10-shot group was shot for each cure time, and as always "one good group is not enough to prove that a load is good, but one bad group may be enough to prove that a load is bad."   

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 28 June 2016

Retesting some of the cure times from post #114, just to see if the trends are repeatable.

DURABLE WET GLOSS BLACK:   as in post #114, today's batch was coated by tumbling.   It came out 0.0011” thick and 0.0005” out-of-round.    All bullets were from the same casting session and tumbled at the same time.   Cure time was the only variable.

Well, for some reason today's Durable Black did not want to shoot as well as post #114's Durable Black.   Today's data was too noisy to prove much. :(

I don't why today's Durable Black bullets shot poorly.   Coating thickness was nearly the same as last time.    Also, today's velocities were lower than post #114's, 2622 fps vs. 2705 fps.    Usually lower velocity means either a softer BHN or a softer coating.    Yet today's bullets were cast with the same alloy as post #114, and I'm not aware of any reason the coating might be softer ?   It's a mystery. 

Nonetheless based on the data we have so far -- noisy though it may be -- it looks like the ideal cure time for this particular powder is 12 to 20 minutes.

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 28 June 2016

ALMOND HYBRID EPOXY-POLYESTER: . Today's batch came out 0.0005” thick -- that is definitely too thin and I expected the thin coating to result in fliers, which it did.    Also the out-of-roundness was a not-so-great 0.0006".

Normally I would apply two coats of Hybrid Epoxy to reach the desired 0.001” thickness, but two coats would make the cure time experiment much more complicated. :(

Today's groups were so poor to be of much use.   Until better data becomes available I'm going to assume that this powder prefers to be cured for 25 - 40 minutes.

Attached Files

35Whelen posted this 21 July 2016

Myflatline wrote: Gentlemen, I do not want to cause issues with my postings.  We are somewhat at apples and oranges in bullet style and caliber.  I cast and coat mainly 35 and 44 caliber bullets.  I personally have not tried to push to the upper limits.  When working with the 35, I stopped at @ 1750 fps with a sub 1” group.   At what range did you shoot the groups you show with your 35 and 44?

Attached Files

Myflatline posted this 21 July 2016

I believe the targets I posted are at the 50 yard mark. That is my test and development distance. I have backed the 35 off to 100 and had very acceptable groups. Will see if I can find pictures

Attached Files

Myflatline posted this 23 July 2016

Here is a 100 yard target for the 35 

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 24 July 2016

That's great accuracy for a lever action, Myflatline. :cool:

I'm going to cross-post the following from my 30BR thread because it is as much a coating test as a 30BR test:

All of today's bullets were cast with reclaimed shot and oven treated.   The uncoated bullets were treated at 470F, while the coated bullets were quenched after their 400F cure, hence the difference in BHN.  FYI the BHN numbers are using the 10mm/150kg homemade tester.   I also tested the same samples with the 4mm/60 pound homemade tester and it gave 33 BHN for the 470F bullets and 27 BHN for the 400F bullets.   For the time being I'll assume that the 10mm test is more reliable.

The hybrid coating was applied in a tumbler.   I didn't measure the thickness but based on past experience it's typically 0.0003” - 0.0004” per coat.    As you can see this particular powder goes on thin and spotchy when tumbled.    It looks ratty but I'm more concerned with how it shoots.

Based on my previous cure time tests, I cured the single coat for 30 minutes.  

The first coat of the 2-coat bullet was cured for 15 minutes, then the second coat was cured for 30 minutes.   That means the first coat received a total of 45 minutes cure time.   The hybrid coating seems tolerant of long cure times so that makes it appealing for multiple coats and/or for bullets that will be quenched after curing.

I may have posted this information before but after minimal nose sizing the bullet is seated with only the GC in the neck, due to the long gentle 1 degree throat.    I would prefer to seat it a wee bit deeper but that may require a longer bullet.   BTW if the bullet looks crooked that's because it is, because there's not enough bullet inside the case to hold it straight.  :D   However, it straightens itself out when chambered.

All of today's loads used 36.7 gr. WC844, HVR lube, and a CCI #41 primer.   However, I'm using a different jug of WC844 than last time, so that may explain today's higher velocities.

Accuracy from best to worst: -- 1.26” 1-coat hybrid -- 1.31” 2-coat hybrid -- 1.40” no coating

Velocity from highest to lowest.   Coated bullets usually increase velocity due to higher engraving pressure. -- 2925 fps 2-coat hybrid -- 2914 fps 1-coat hybrid -- 2886 fps no coating

Velocity standard deviation from lowest to highest.   Coatings usually reduce velocity variation due to higher engraving pressure. -- .49% 2-coat hybrid -- .52% 1-coat hybrid -- .73% no coating

Average extreme spread for 10 shots, from lowest to highest.   -- 43 fps 2-coat hybrid -- 45 fps 1-coat hybrid -- 70 fps no coating

Conclusions: -- velocities were higher than I intended, but that's OK because it still shot decent. :) -- as with previous tests of coated vs. uncoated GC bullets, the coated bullet was a tiny bit more accurate but the difference was not statistically significant.    Maybe if you tested 1000 rounds each you could prove a difference. :D -- if nothing else the hybrid coating makes the powder burn better and reduces velocity variation. -- one thin coating works as well as 2 coats, even if the single splotchy coat looks like hell. -- In general, I'm pleased with the consistency of this combination, but I believe the barrel is capable of doing much better if I can find the right combination.   The barrel hasn't even lost its MOA virginity yet. :D

Things To Try Next Time: -- heavier bullets, both GC and PB. -- I'm inclined to stick with 1 thin coat of hybrid for GC bullets.    It may help a tiny bit and definitely does not hurt. -- different powders.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 24 July 2016

Wow! Excellent accuracy at very high velocities.

Such performance with lead bullets, both coated and uncoated, would have been unbelievable, at least by me, not long ago.

This is better accuracy than needed for almost any kind of hunting at velocity levels that would provide flat shooting and a lot of energy delivered at the target.  Bullet performance on game is another thing but probably can be achieved one way or another.

Keep it up.

John 

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 28 August 2016

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_post.php?post_id=97026>Another cure-time test cross posted from my 7BR thread.

Short version is that I tried a “copper hybrid” coating at different cure times.    Well, as you can see the so-called copper coating doesn't look like copper at all, it's butt ugly.    Hybrid coatings are generally only available in dull colors, so why use a dull hybrid coating instead of shiny polyester coating?   Because hybrid coatings can be much more tolerant of overcure than polyester, that's why.  :)

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8658/2914109407221fb8ff8fbb.jpg

Here's the cure time vs. accuracy chart.    25 - 30 minutes seems optimal for hybrid coatings.   That's convenient if you want to quench the bullets after curing.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8324/28669809304193b3987fab.jpg

This particular 115 gr. BB did not shoot well with any coating, but for what it is worth the hybrid coating shot at least as well as hi-tek.

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 18 September 2016

Trying a new-to-me hybrid PC.   The hope here is to find a PC that has the long, forgiving cure time of a hybrid PC, yet the prettier look of a polyester PC.    There aren't very many pretty hybrid coatings, plus hybrids tend to be thin and splotchy when applied by tumbling.  

Not as perfect as a sprayed-on polyester PC, but I like the appearance much better than the previous hybrid PC's that I have tried.    The single tumbled coat averaged 0.0013” thick and 0.0008” out-of-roundness.

Not much difference in group sizes but for what it is worth the 25 minute cure had the smallest mean radius.

The “s” on the cure times are a typo, obviously the cure times were meant to be minutes, not seconds.  :P

At the moment this fire-red hybrid coating is my first choice because I like the appearance,  and because its 25 - 30 minute cure time is forgiving, and compatible with heat treating if the need arises.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 18 September 2016

thanks mr. mtn.....getting harder not to get me some of that latest red stuff ... got some 400 yard gongs that might like to get acquainted with those red headed strangers ...

ken

Attached Files

Close