Will 45 cal. 270 SAA bullet work in my Ruger blackhawk?

• 1.2K Views
  • Last Post 06 April 2017
blackhawk posted this 16 April 2016

Recently bought RCBS 270 SAA mould, & although it casts a beautiful bullet,I think I may have a problem with it in my Ruger blackhawk.  This is my dilemna: Ruger chambers have been reamed to .4525.  Bore slugs out at .451 with no restrictions.  Gun thus far remains unfired.  Bullets have an as cast diam. of .455-.4555 with 16:1 alloy.  As cast diam. with Lym. #2 is just about the same.??? strange.I realize that thi s bullet was designed for Colts with oversized chamber mouths, however my sizing die is .452, & I'm taking off quite a bit of the bullet O.D. when sizing, & actually causing some bullet distortion.  I am afraid that if I sized a .454, I would not be able to chamber the rounds.  What results might I expect with the bullet sized at .452?  Any suggestions?  Sorry for the rambling.blackhawk

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 16 April 2016

Blackhawk, I would not consider 0.0015” off of each side as very much. If you have a modern Lyman or SAECO die it is just polishing the sides as it compresses. Do you have a proper nose punch? 1/16 or 16/1 is much softer than Lyman #2 alloy, but even so with a good lube and sizer you should not have much if any distortion of the bullet. Ric

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 16 April 2016

The Mihec correct copy of the RCBS .45-270-SAA bullet (285 grs. In my alloy) is my “go to” bullet for my Ruger SS Bisley in ..45 Colt. It casts about .454” in my alloy and I size to .452” in my Star sizer. My cylinder throats have been reamed to .4525".

My gun will shoot well under 1” at 25 yards off a rest. As a matter of interest, my “walk around” load is 8.5 grs. Of Unique with this bullet.

If I were hunting deer, I would run this bullet a bit faster with a heavier load of a slower burning powder.

FWIW, Dale

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 16 April 2016

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=2646>blackhawk

I wouldn't ramble and just start shooting, you have good measurements. If you want to change something to make it simpler, use a Lee Lube and Size kit push through sizing die and tumble lube once before and once after sizing. The Lee's work on your press, push the bottom of the bullet and nose punches aren't used with them. Very simple and effective, cheap and fast.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/116429/lee-bullet-lube-and-size-kit-452-diameter

Gary

Attached Files

358156hp posted this 17 April 2016

Assemble a dummy round and check it in every chamber in your revolver.

Attached Files

4570sharps posted this 26 December 2016

Yes!

Attached Files

SierraHunter posted this 26 December 2016

If they will chamber at .454” I would shoot them. If not, get a Lee push through sizer die.

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 04 April 2017

Blackhawk,

Just curious,  what's the end result.

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 06 April 2017

My only concern would be whether the heavier 270-grain bullet will shoot way high with the factory front sight.  I would not be too worried about sizing from .455 down to .452, or for that matter even shooting some .454 sized bullets through the .452 chambers also to see whether less sizing and shooting a fat bullet might be more accurate than reducing the bullet .003” in diameter.

Yes, it will run the pressure up, but the Ruger is a strong revolver and you have wiggle room.

FWIW I use the Accurate 45-290H in my NMB with 7.2 grains of Bullseye and with my Bowen Rough Country rear sight bottomed out it shoots center of mass at 100 yards on the 12” gong with the 290 when the revolver is zeroed at 50 yards with the 45-240H1 with the same 7.2 grain charge of Bullseye, which is my “go to” load.

K.I.S.S. principle!

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Close