Bunny gun matches

• 1.5K Views
  • Last Post 02 August 2017
45ACPete posted this 24 August 2016

Was rereading back issues of TFS--did anything ever come of Ed Harris' proposals for these matches?   I don't think I gave it much thought back then but now it seems like a good idea.  

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ed Harris posted this 24 August 2016

Nothing came of it, but if people wanted to shoot their own bunny guns at 50 yards and post targets, I'd love to see 'em and would play the game.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 25 August 2016

Like everything else in CBA, we need somebody to ramrod the outfit. No volunteers yet.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 25 August 2016

yep, those ” other guys ” haven't done anything yet ...

hey, i have shot a lot of bunnies with my 30 m1 carbine with lyman 3118 slugs... can i enter that as a bunny rifle ??

anyone ??

you and me makes two to start with .....

( g )

ken

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 25 August 2016

OK, I'll bite. What is the definition of a “bunny gun” that everyone would agree to comply to and what is the target, and how far and what shooting position? Assume it would only be a score event and not a group thing. Two categories...iron sights or a scope?

Tom

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • David R.
jeff houck posted this 25 August 2016

I'll play too. I bought targets for this match several years ago, but it never got off the ground. There may be several other folks in my club that would shoot it too. 

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 25 August 2016

REVISED AUGUST 25 2016 - leave it this way for the online trial:

PRACTICAL SMALL GAME aka, “Rabbit Hunter” or “Bunny Gun”

This match is a fun competition encouraging use of fixed ammunition using plain-based lead bullets in light hunting rifles or handguns suitable for hunting small game, fired at short range, from practical field positions.

1) Any center-fire or rimfire single-shot or repeating rifle of weight not exceeding 7-1/2 pounds, complete with iron sights, or low powered scope. Sling (if desired) may be used.

2) Any center-fire or rim fire pistol or revolver, no caliber or barrel length restrictions, but handgun with sights, either iron sights or scope may not exceed 50 ozs.     IRON SIGHT class - record targets are shot at 50 FEET.  SCOPE SIGHT CLASS - record targets shot at 50 YARDS. 

3) NO restriction as to caliber. Either rimfire or center-fire firing fixed ammunition and lead bullets without a gas check.  .22 LR and WRF with lead bullets are OK, but jacketed .17 HMR, .22 WMR, are not.

4) Rifle barrels must 18 inches or longer. Muzzle diameter or measurement across the flats (if octagon) may not exceed .75”

5) Iron sights may not contain any glass or plastic lenses, filters or leveling aids.

6) Telescopic sights used for either rifle or pistol may not exceed 6X. Variables may be taped at 6X “Honor System."

7) Modern or custom guns to follow the “spirit” of the rules, as being suitable for a farmer's or country gentleman's “walking gun”, lawman's carbine or outdoorsman's trail handgun. Stocks must be of wood. Laminated stocks are permitted, as are bedding adjustments or repairs containing fiberglass or epoxy, as long as the gun meets the weight restrictions.    NRA Lifesize Game Target Cottontail Rabbit

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=552641>http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=552641

RIFLE:

Ten shots fired in a time limit of ten minutes from any practical field position at a range of 50 YARDS. Shooting must be from off the ground and may be fired either from the prone, sitting, kneeling or standing position, shooter's choice. No hook butt plates or palm rests are permitted. A shooting sling, walking stick or cane, tree branch or crossed sticks held in the hand may be used for support. Shooters who require use of a wheel chair for mobility may use one arm of the chair for support.

HANDGUN (Pistol or Revolver):

Ten shots fired in a time limit of ten minutes from an unsupported standing position at a range of 50 FEET in the IRON sight class, and 50 YARDS in the scope sight class. A two-handed hold may be used, but no other means of support is allowed.

SCORING:

Unlimited practice shots may be taken on the marked sighter target.

Ten shots are permitted on marked record targets. If there are excessive hits the low ten shots will be scored. Shots contained completely inside the brain or heart-lung vital areas without breaking the lines count “X” used in breaking ties only. Shots breaking the lines of the vital areas score ten points each. Shots not breaking vital lines, but completely contained within the rabbit body count 8 points. Leg hits 5 points. Scratch hits touching anywhere else on rabbit including the feet, ears or tail count 1 point each.

FOR THE PURPOSE OF THIS ONLINE MATCH, BUY YOUR OWN TARGETS, SHOOT THEM ON YOUR HOME RANGE, AND POST PICTURE OF YOUR TARGET WITH GUN AND LOAD INFO.

Most of all HAVE FUN!  For now lets limit people to one entry in each class, iron sighted rifle, scoped rifle, iron sighted handgun, scoped handgun.  

People can start shooting and posting targets right away and we will shut off entries on Christmas Day 2016. So, shoot'em and post'em when you've got'em!

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • shjoe

here is the original proposal for the bunny gun match: http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_topic.php?id=3815&forum_id=78&highlight=bunny+gun+match>http://www.castbulletassoc.org/viewtopic.php?id=3815&forumid=78&highlight=bunny+gun+match

Attached Files

Jeff Houck wrote: here is the original proposal for the bunny gun match: http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_topic.php?id=3815&forum_id=78&highlight=bunny+gun+match>http://www.castbulletassoc.org/viewtopic.php?id=3815&forumid=78&highlight=bunny+gun+match Guys look at the “original” writeup vs. my revision above and indicate which you prefer. There were a few people who expressed interest in using Contender pistols, and the scope pistol class permits that, but they are not competing against the iron sight handgunners. What do you think?

Attached Files

I like the new revised version better. It's a bit less restrictive.

Attached Files

Thanks Jeff! Anybody else comments?

Attached Files

For the Contenders, and this is a “nit", for many years the standard TC barrel length was 10 1/2” or 14". The handgun silhouette guys used the expression 10” but the actual length was slightly longer. But maybe today Fox Ridge (the TC barrel supplier) offers shorter barrels?

Tom

Attached Files

How much does an iron-sighted Contender with 14” barrel weigh?  

I removed the barrel length restrictions for handgun classes.

Let the 40 ozs. with iron sights and 50-oz. with scope weight limits determine eligibility. 

Attached Files

Ed, It's been quite a few years since my IHMSA days. I do know the TC 14” model had no problem making the IHMSA Unlimited weight max. of 4.5-pounds. It was the XP-100 where much “maneuvering” was done to stay under 4.5 pounds. But...the guns winning in the Unlimited category were dominated by the XP.  Tom

Attached Files

Tom Acheson wrote: Ed, It's been quite a few years since my IHMSA days. I do know the TC 14” model had no problem making the IHMSA Unlimited weight max. of 4.5-pounds. It was the XP-100 where much “maneuvering” was done to stay under 4.5 pounds. But...the guns winning in the Unlimited category were dominated by the XP.  Tom Spirit of the Rules?  Handgun Weight Limit Discussion 

72 ozs. = 4.5 lbs.  I don't think very many people carry an 1847 Colt Walker Model? NO!

50 ozs. = 3.125 lbs.  - think this is a realistic upper limit for an “Outdoorsman's Pistol."

40 ozs. = 2.5 lbs.  - this lets in a Colt Single-Action .32-20 with 7-1/2” barrel!

Attached Files

Ed, Do we care about the 8 3/8” S&W Model 57 @ 56 oz. or the Model 29, slightly lighter? My Model 58 with 4” barrel is about 40 oz. with fixed sights. Tom

Attached Files

I have a M-1 Carbine and “a few” handguns. I might want to try this. I might even try to get it started. The current CBA Postal #21 (Timed Fire Handgun) and #22 (BPCR silhouette) were initiated by me. 

There are 50 targets in pack so the first cycle of this would probably take care of 25 shooters (2 targets per shooter, one a sighter and one a record target). A tech data sheet would need to be made, not too hard.

Based upon the turnout the CBA might be talked into adding it to the “Postal shopping list". I'd have to talk that over with Mike Kastning, the CBA Postal Director. He would need to find a volunteer scorer to handle that task.

Once the first season is over and the participation is measured, to start things off for the first “official” year of CBA activity, we would probably want to consider a one time event. If there is a lot of interest, we could then do a seasonal thing, 1 target due May, June, July and August in subsequent years.

Tom

Attached Files

Let's invite people to discuss the iron sight weight limit.

If the spirit.of the match is a field gun, how many people really tote a 60-oz. pistol?

Attached Files

Agree, Ed! 

I was just using the XP-100 as a frame of reference. Not too many rabbits would like to get blasted by those things!

Attached Files

50 ozs. would allow 6” S&W 29 or 5-1/2” Ruger Super BH.

60 ozs. would permit 7-1/2” SBH or Super RH.

Maybe the 4.5 lbs. for scope class.

Discussion?

Attached Files

To me anyway, the 4.5-pounds kind of violates the concept of “being suitable for a farmer's or country gentleman's “walking gun”, lawman's carbine or outdoorsman's trail gun". 60-ounce seems like a good ceiling.

Tom

Attached Files

I agree.

Should the iron sight handgun limit be raised to 60 ozs. or left at 50?

Others please chime in. I was thinking Colt SAA .32-20 or standard Ruger Blackhawk.

Attached Files

Yes, we need to hear from those of you have an interest and would try this, given the opportunity.

There is narrow road to wander here.

A. Keeping it too restrictive might eliminate participants B. Getting too wild on the span of candidate equipment might give potential participants the sense that they are being “outgunned” or the good old negative “equipment race” mindset C. The original intent of the fun match gets watered down.

There is a balance we just need to sniff it out!

Tom

Attached Files

My own feeling is to limit all handguns, regardless of sights to 50 ozs. No limit on caliber or barrel length.

More than 50 ozs. is not a “field gun", it is a “horse pistol!"

Attached Files

C'mon guys, you're letting Ed and me have all the fun....what do you think?

Attached Files

PETE posted this 25 August 2016

Sounds interesting. I'd use my Ruger Single Six with adj. iron sights in .32 H&R Mag. Barrel is 6 1/2” long and weighs 31 oz. empty. I use either a 90 or 100 gr. SWC bullet with 1.9 - 3.4 grs. of B.E. depending on useage. I must have have missed it, but what is the “bunny” target you want to use?

Pete

Attached Files

NRA life size cottontail rabbit from the Midway link above.

Attached Files

PETE posted this 25 August 2016

Yep. Just found the targets on a re-read. Count me as for the new revised rules too. We gonna just send in our target pictures any time from now on, or do you want to wait till the rules are cast in stone? 

Pete

Attached Files

I'd go with the 50 oz. limit. 

Attached Files

Let's keep it 50 ozs. for handgun, regardless of sights with no barrel length restriction if it makes weight and run with that.

I've edited the match program above. Let's run with it informally and evaluate it after the match closes at the end of the year.  Everybody interested shoot a record target for each class you are interested in, post your target and technical data.

You guys who wanted to shoot .22 rimfire, let's see what you can do with your squirrel guns!

Then we can sort it all out and pick nits.

Attached Files

PETE posted this 26 August 2016

Count me in!

Just sent in the order to Midway for the targets. Hope you guys like surprises. Targets are $11.99 and shipping is $9.99. Pete

Attached Files

muley posted this 26 August 2016

Pete, how about taking a photo of the rabbit target and posting it and we can print it off? I know u have the initial expense. thanks,

Attached Files

PETE posted this 26 August 2016

Muley,

Could do that but you'd have to be able to print a target 24w x 14h. Then I' not sure about copyright mumbo-jumbo.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 27 August 2016

i apologize. it has been years since my last confession ... i hate people that after all the work is done by others come around adding changes ... maybe to do with my programming days ... kinda like putting up a tall office building and then someone wants to move the pilings 4 feet ...

but i keep thinking that bunny gun loads should not shoot over 1399 fps ... that then would cover 22 rimfires ...

i feel better now ... and yes such a rule would not be beneficial other than the spirit of the thing ... kinda like wearing leathers to a cowboy shoot ...

i have bunny targets ordered ... geeeze... dang bunnies everywhere ...should be fun at our neighborhood shoots ( g ) ...

ken

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 27 August 2016

Plainbased bullet is self limiting. If somebody wins with high velocity load using one, I want to know how!

Attached Files

Hamish posted this 27 August 2016

This is all in fun, yes?

Personally, I think if a shooter posts his target and includes his firearm, load, and the manner in which they shot their target following the allowed positions, I think that's about all that's really needed isn't it?

Declaring a winner between two shooters when one shot free standing and the other shot kneeling with crossed sticks seems a bit of a stretch to me. Besides, I suspect that most of the potential entrants are like me, get up off the bench and hitting the paper in the black is more hoped for than accepted conclusion.

I think this bunny shoot is a fine idea though, and will order some targets if the link in post 7 is still the designated face.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 27 August 2016

Plain base only.

Attached Files

Hamish posted this 28 August 2016

Thank you Ed. Not sure how long it will take them to resupply, bt just ordered he last pack in stock at Midway.

These folks appear to be another option, though slightly higher price:

http://www.nationaltarget.com/productinfo.php/cottontail-rabbit-lifesize-game-target-p-82

Attached Files

muley posted this 29 August 2016

is there to be a winner in this shoot?, or is every participant a “Winner?"

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 29 August 2016

In the CBA Postal program, you can be the winner of the gun category within the event that you enter. If enough participants are involved, you and maybe second and third place win a buck or two. Don't forget you get marked targets that need to be mailed in to an independent scorer. I've been doing them for years and they are enjoyable. I also score two events.

In the case of this “prototype” event, shooters are on their iwn to acquire targets and follow the rules to shoot them and then score them. You tell this group how you did, what you used, etc.

In our area I'll buy a pack of targets and those of us who enter will share the cost of the targets. Each guy wil get two targets, one as a sighter and the other as a score target for each category hecwants to enter. Then its up to the shooter to do the rest as has been outlined. I think I have 8-10 guys who said they would like to try it.

Will there eventually be a “winner"? Yes, someone will have a “highest” score in each category. There will not be an overal match champion, unless Ed has a way to develop that. There is a convoluted formula that the CBA uses to determine the National Champion at the CBA Annual National Tournament but I suspect this crowd is not going to do that. But there are no cash awards, just the knowledge you did good.

Hope this helps!

Tom

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 29 August 2016

For right now we are assessing interest and the “prize” is the admiration of other readers who are impressed by your target and curious as to your loads and equipment.  This is entirely unofficial and informal.

Attached Files

Just ordered 2 packs of targets from National Target Co. The difference in shipping cost of one vs. two packs was $0.50 so it made sense to get two. I have a feeling they'll get used! They have quite a few in stock.

Tom

Attached Files

I have two packs of 50 on order from Midway and will send one to Italy.

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 29 August 2016

I did a research on the web , and if I understand well ,matematics & avoirdupios  are chinese to me , my old S&W  Mod 27 in 357 and the Marlin 336 XLR, should comply with the rules and the spirit of the game . With Iron sights of course . I am glad that the  costly gas checks are banned , at 50 yards they are superfluous .I am planning to  buy a box or two  of new brass for this match , and cast the beautyful  Ranch Dog bullets  with plain base . Of course the most fun in the  game is just  from being into it  with other sporting gentlemen,, winning first places is for the younger  champions . And it is never too late to learn things .

Attached Files

Great attitude and perspective, Giorgio!

Thanks!

Tom

Attached Files

4060may posted this 29 August 2016

mine are on the way no pistols for me, not even off the bench 32-20 Win low wall,or No2 rolling block hopefully can get a few to shoot with me...since the Muzzle loading match went by the wayside

Attached Files

Giorgio, as FYI

50 feet equals 15.24 metres.

50 yards equals 45.72 metres. 50 ounces equals 1.4174 kilograms 7.5 pounds equals  3.4 kilograms For purposes of this experimental match, I have no issues with our International participants rounding the target distances and gun weights to the nearest even metric measurements. 1.4 kg, 3.4 kg, 15 metres, 46 metres. I cannot see that sensible rounding is going to place anyone at an unfair advantage or disadvantage. 

Attached Files

PETE posted this 02 September 2016

Was wondering if I could shoot both a CF & RF match?

Pete

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 02 September 2016

Why not?

Scores are organized by gun category, not individual shooter. Shoot as many different categories as you like!

Tom

Attached Files

PETE posted this 02 September 2016

Thanks Tom. I just got my targets in and was wondering what I was gonna do with all the extras.

Pete

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 06 September 2016

Got my 100 targets today, Nat. Target Co. I made Ed's “outline” into a Word document and printed 20 copies. I'll start handing these out locally. Should be fun!

Tom

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 11 September 2016

I'm rusty I guess.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 11 September 2016

I'm rusty I guess.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 12 September 2016

many of my friends smoke and drink...

i just look at paper targets with holes in them ... something in my soul likes that ...

life is good ...

ken

Attached Files

PETE posted this 12 September 2016

Not bad Ken. Looking at a Slow Fire Target and a Bunny target the black looks maybe a tad bigger than the “kill” area on the Bunny.

Pete

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 13 September 2016

PETE wrote: Not bad Ken. Looking at a Slow Fire Target and a Bunny target the black looks maybe a tad bigger than the “kill” area on the Bunny.

PeteI'm just trying to get them to go in one place. It's been a while since I tried a small target. I have some 10 meter air rifle targets somewhere that may be more like the bunny kill zone.

Attached Files

jeff houck posted this 16 September 2016

Bunny target, 25-20 prone xsticks, 83 5X

Bunny target, 25-20 sitting xsticks, 75 4X.

Bunny target, 38 spl., 96 7X

Attached Files

Bunny target, 45 acp, 94 6X

Ed Harris posted this 16 September 2016

Great shooting! I need to get busy!

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 16 September 2016

Wow! You've set a high bar now!

Attached Files

Thank you for the compliment. It may be a high bar now, but that's probably because so far it's the only bar :shock:

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 16 September 2016

love all your guns, but especially the 25-20 '92. on my bucket list .

ken

Attached Files

jeff houck posted this 23 September 2016

6 10s, 3 8s, 1 no shoot, total 84 5X

6 10s, 4 8s, 5xs, = 92 5X

6 10s, 4 8s, 6xs = 92 6x 

5 10s, 3 8s, 1 1s, 1 0s, 5 Xs = 75 5X

While this gun isn't legal per our weight guidelines I'll throw out the challenge to anyone who has a black powder horse pistol and would like to try murdering poor helpless, harmless bunnies. After all, doesn't every cowboy carry a hideout gun under his duster? :shock:

9 10s, 1 8s, 9 Xs, = 98 9XThis has always been my favorite small game carry gun, especially when it out shoots my Colt Match Target pistol!:P

PETE posted this 06 October 2016

Here's my target for the Bunny Match.

Gun- Ruger Single Six .32 H&R Magnum - 31 oz. empty Load - 2.1 grs. of Bullseye Bullet - NEI-32-98-WC Lube - Lyman/Alox Brass - Starline Primer - WSP Score 91-9x or 8x if you figure that high shot has to be completely inside the X-Ring

The time posted is the time it took me to shoot the entire match. Lots of time

If your interested I can come up with a good story for that 10th shot. :) The lube ring does cut the foot. Pete http://s1254.photobucket.com/user/pete3240/media/Bunny-1.jpg.html>

Attached Files

jeff houck posted this 06 October 2016

Pete, if your tenth shot was plugged I think it would count as a scratch shot shot for a 1 pointer. So this would be a 99/100 8X score. Mighty fine shooting! 

If you are by chance a black powder shooter I'd offer a new challenge. We'll start a new thread. BP bunny target. Now load that .32 with black and shoot a new target. I plan on trying my various rifles and pistols with black just for the fun of it. :shock:

What do you think Ed, are you a BP shooter too?

Attached Files

PETE posted this 06 October 2016

Jeff,

Many years ago, and that's MANY YEARS ago I did quit a bit of HP shooting. But haven't Steven picked a BP gun in 30 yrs. or better. So I'll let you guys have the fun. Got a Colt .22 revolver I'd like to try here but I've got both a Pistol League followed by a Combat league which will take up 24 week starting the 1st of Nov. Have to see how things turn out.

Pete

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 21 November 2016

Finally got out to do this. Other than a Springfiels .45 ACP carry pistol and a WW II Walther P-38, the only other handgun that I have that makes weight is my S&W Model 52. Rounds are .38 Special flush seated wadcutters. Tom

Attached Files

David Reiss posted this 21 November 2016

Ed,

I just discovered this thread. Can you PM me about this, I might like to champion this with the board.

David

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 21 November 2016

It would be great to hear from everyone who bought some targets. Even if you don't post a photo it would be interesting to try measure the interest in this as a potential CBA Postal match event, by saying X entries were shot.

Thanks!

Tom

Attached Files

Maven posted this 21 November 2016

Although it occurred to me to try this match with a pistol, I never did that, mostly because I thought my high accuracy .22cal. (RF) bolt gun would work out.  Well, it didn't!  While it's easy to shoot from a rest, its stock is a poor fit from both prone and sitting positions. (Don't even ask about kneeling!)  I may want to try this with a handgun sometime in the Spring though.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 22 November 2016

I purchased my targets and like Maven settled quickly on using two CZ model 452s which are proven to be very accurate from the bench.  I rolled out an old piece of carpet and commenced firing from the prone position.  If someone hadn't come along to help me up I might be lying there yet under 20” of snow. Prone was so much easier when I was 25.  Is that what you needed to know Tom? :D I made a set of cross sticks and planned to try again while sitting on a short stool.  Unfortunately as Tom knows, winter arrived up here on the tundra and dumped 20” of snow on the deer shack where I was doing my shooting.  I may need a longer set of sticks and a taller stool.

Attached Files

4060may posted this 22 November 2016

Finally got around to taking pictures Shot sitting with stick support The head was the only thing I was able to define with Old Eyes

Attached Files

As I said before...by no means a pistol shooter only had factory ammo when i shot this

Attached Files

again, not a very good pistol shot

Attached Files

Th target was as hard a shooting a live rabbit for me if it had a white spot on it, would have been easier

but real Bunnies usually have no white spot in the kill zone

Attached Files

Maven posted this 22 November 2016

"Prone was so much easier when I was 25.”  ...jhs Amen to this!

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 24 November 2016

My problem is NOT  going down to prone , the difficult endeavour  is  rising up again without a help . .

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 24 November 2016

Frank Marshall was a true beliver in use of a walking staff or cane as support from the kneeling or standing position. I may give it a try.

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 12 December 2016

I've lobbied the CBA Postal Match Director to add a Bunny Gun Match to the Postal Guide. There is limited space in the Postal Guide to be able to list Ed's rules, scoring, etc. We think it might happen and if it does, here is the format:

• The shooter sends me (Tom) an e-mail and I send him a more detailed rules list and a sign-up form.
  • The shooter sends the form and fees to you (Mike--CBA Postal Director).
  • He does his normal thing by sending the shooter his targets and tech data sheet(s)
  • The shooter sends me his fired target(s) and tech sheet(s).
  • I score those and hold all of them until the end of Oct. at which time I send Mike the tech sheets with the scores.
  • There are (3) gun categories:
    • Handgun-iron
    • Handgun-scoped
    • Rifle

We are expecting all of you that joined in on the trial program this fall to shoot in this inaugural year of the match!I have a pdf as an attachment with the details but cannot attach it at this time. The details for this new match are quite a bit more extensive than any of the existing Postal matches.Tom

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 12 December 2016

Tom, thanks for your efforts in getting this one going!

Attached Files

MKastning posted this 14 December 2016

Hi all, your postal/military guy at your service here..  Just checking in on this thread, and we can indeed work it out.  As Tom mentioned, there isn't a lot of page space left in the mailed match guide, but we can figure out a solution even note to check this place for official rules if need be.   Keep checking in here for interest, as we develop the specifics.  If anyone is wanting to get their regular postal match order in early in January (hint-hint for shooting other matches too )  just note “bunny match” on your order also until we can identify a number to use.

I have a fresh computer at home now, so should be able to keep up on the forum a bit more now.

Its great to see new names and postal interest!

Michael

Attached Files

SierraHunter posted this 15 December 2016

Wish I had seen this sooner. Oh well, maybe next time.

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 15 December 2016

SierraHunter,

Not too late! This is a 2017 event so feel free to jump on board!

TOm

Attached Files

SierraHunter posted this 16 December 2016

Thought I read somewhere that targets had to be done by Christmas this year?

Attached Files

jeff houck posted this 18 December 2016

Where are all the pictures that were posted with our emails? Do we need to re-attach them?

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 18 December 2016

Caution....there are tw Bunny Gun matches. There is the informal prototype match that Ed fired up earlier in 2016 (targets or results due by Christmas) AND there is now a match that the CBA is offering that is a 2017 event.

Tom

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • PETE
PETE posted this 18 December 2016

Tom,

Good news that the BG match will be held as a regular CBA match next year. Do you know when the new 2017  schedule will be posted?

Pete

Attached Files

GWarden posted this 18 December 2016

Tom

Good news, thanks for getting this set up for 2017. Have a 9yr. of grandson that I can get introduced to CBA postals, this will be the match for that.

Bob

Attached Files

SierraHunter posted this 18 December 2016

Caution....there are tw Bunny Gun matches. There is the informal prototype match that Ed fired up earlier in 2016 (targets or results due by Christmas) AND there is now a match that the CBA is offering that is a 2017 event.

Tom

Oh hey, that's cool. Just realized the rifle I was gonna a enter will not be legal since it has a plastic stock. Good excuse for a little rolling blck 32 long.

Attached Files

SamIam posted this 23 December 2016

Shot these today, S&W model 34 @ 50 ft and a CZ 452 American @ 50 yards prone

Attached Files

SamIam posted this 23 December 2016

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 30 January 2017

Here is a minor update for the potential Bunny Gun Postal shooters.

To date neither me nor Mike Kastning (CBA Postal Director) have had anyone sign-up for this new one. It is not listed in the CBA Postal booklet but it is available.

FWIW

Tom

Attached Files

GWarden posted this 30 January 2017

Tom

Three applications for the bunny gun match on the way, myself, son-in-law and grandson. This will be a great family thing to enjoy together.

Bob

Attached Files

harleyrock posted this 30 January 2017

I am no longer able to shoot pistols with iron sights with these old eyes.  I have a S&W 14-3 (K38) and a S&W V-22 Victory .22RF with Burris Fast Fire III red dot sights.  These sights would be at a disadvantage against scoped pistols.  Would the red dot sights be classified as scoped for this Bunny Gun competition?

Harleyrock

Lifetime NRA since 1956, NRA Benefactor, USN Member, CBA Member

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 30 January 2017

harleyrock:

You are not at a disadvantage at all with those red dots. About the time I quit shooting indoor gallery and outdoor three gun pistol, the red dots on match pistols began to be used in local and national competition. Even by national champions. And they shot match-winning scores. And some of the pistol shooters that I hung around with in those days were distinguished pistol shots. I have a red dot here that I mounted on my K-22 for the same reason and would use it in a heart beat.  

Attached Files

harleyrock posted this 31 January 2017

R.Dupraz

Thanks for that correction of my false assumption regarding red dot sights.

I have absolutely no experience with handgun or rifle competition; never competed; never attended, but this bunny gun postal match sounds interesting.  I'll have to give it a try.

Harleyrock

Lifetime NRA since 1956, NRA Benefactor, USN Member, CBA Member

Attached Files

SamIam posted this 31 January 2017

Count me in. Do I have to send for targets or can I use the ones I have? 

Sam

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 31 January 2017

I am soon to be retired (two weeks and counting) and would like to begin participating in the postal matches.  I have read the schedule, read the rules, read the 2+ year old primer and am still uncertain how or where to start.  I currently cast and shoot 9mm, 38/357and 45LC in pistols as well as 38-55, 45LC and 45-70 in rifle. My first retirement project is to start casting for my .270 and my .243.  I ask the experienced among you -- where do I start?

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 31 January 2017

I don't have a current NRA rulebook, but IIRC, the red dot sights are classed with other “optical” sights, and I am inclined to put them in the scope category.  I don't know if CBA designates them otherwise for other postal or attended matches, but if there is an existing policy, we should be consistent.  If CBA has not decided, but NRA has, my feeling is that we should be consistent with whatever a published NRA rulebook says until we gain enough experience to feel it is OIK to change that. 

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 31 January 2017

i regard the red dots as a 1-power scope .  and there are some red dots with magnification .

ken

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 31 January 2017

The CBA outdoor bench rest rules allow scopes on all guns except the “Issue” category of Military. It would be very difficult to shoot the Traditional Bench Rest targets with iron sights, especially at 200-yards!

The CBA Postal events have iron and scoped sight categories. Some are iron only and some are scoped only and some you make a choice between the two and shoot only against others using similar sights.

Here is some data that may or may not be helpful.

Excerpts from the Bunny Gun rules:

Any single-shot or repeating rifle, either center-fire or rim-fire, weight not to exceed 7- 1/2 pounds, complete with iron sights, or hunting scope not to exceed 6X.  (Variables may be taped at 6X). A sling may be used. No fore-end stops, adjustable butt plates, adjustable comb or palm rests allowed. Two categories, IRON SIGHT and SCOPE.

Any pistol or revolver, of any caliber or barrel length, weight not to exceed 50 ozs. IRON SIGHT handgun - record targets shot at 50 FEET. SCOPE SIGHT handgun - record targets shot at 50 YARDS.

Iron sights may not contain any glass or plastic lenses, filters or leveling aids.

From the internet NRA Bullseye/Conventional Pistol/2700 rules area:

There are three basic categories:

Open---telescopic sights are allowed

Metallic---iron sights only

Production---has some exceptions, a few of which are seen below:

The following modifications are prohibited: a) Milling of slide, slide ports are allowed on only factory- original approved models. b) Custom-shop fi rearms. c) Changes in the original factory sight configuration of the firearm are prohibited, front adjustable sights. d) Peep, ghost, optical, electronic, Bo-Mar and Aristocrat type sights. e) Thumb rest grips or magazines extensions. f) Compensators ported or weighted barrels. g) Single Action Semi- Auto Pistols are prohibited. h) Orthopedic style grips are prohibited.

I'm with Ed on this. If there is “glass” in the sight assembly then it should be shot in the “scoped sight” category.

Tom

Attached Files

4060may posted this 01 February 2017

Tom

Are you handling this postal match?

I have targets, or will you supply them?

where do I send the money?

Already sent the money for match #22

Chuck

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 01 February 2017

4060may,

This is based on memory...

This Postal has an event planned for each month through Sept. This is much more extensive that what the CBA Postal program does but is designed to have a lot of variety and be fun!

January - Snowshoe Bunny, entries above Mason-Dixon line unless below freezing or you have snow!

February - Ladies Only Valentine Bunny

March – Spring Ice Breaker - New Shooter’s and Juniors Only – Juniors Under Age 18

April  - Retiree’s Revenge – Retired Codgers over age 65

May - Military Rifle, Service Pistol or Revolver weight limit is suspended this month for Memorial Day

June – Regular Monthly Match

July – Independence Day Bunny - Muzzleloading Rifle, Cap & Ball Revolver or Pistol  NO Weight Limit!

August – Regular Monthly Match

September – Regular Monthly Match

October – no match, you have had time to practice and should be out hunting Rascally Wabbits!

November – no match, you should be out deer hunting! December  -  no match, Merry Christmas!

Fee is $6 per entry which includes a record score target and a sighter/practice target

I have a sign-up form. Send me an e-mail with e-mail address. I send you the sign-up form (pdf). You send that with the fees to the CBA Postal Director Mike Kastning. He sends you your targets and Tech Data Sheet(s). You get them shot by the deadline and then send the fired targets and Tech Data sheets to me. I score them and send the results to Mike. The results will show up in the Fouling Shot sometime after September. But if that seems too long to wait, maybe I can post the scores once a month here. We'll see.

[email protected]

Tom

Attached Files

GWarden posted this 02 August 2017

Norma Tac 22 for Bunny Gun match.

We are all aware that each rifle is individual in the loads it likes. I tried some Norma Tac 22 in my .22's for the Bunny Gun match. This is the first .22 ammo that all of my rifles like, they all shot exceptionally well. In my Marlin 39A with a Burris 6X compact scope, it is shooting 5 shot groups at 50 yards that are phenomenal. My agg. of 5 shot groups is running a bit under .4", many bolt rifles won't do this. Sometimes Brownells and Midway run specials on this ammo. Worth giving it a try, it doesn't work in semi auto's from all the reviews that are posted. Have a great day.

Bob

Attached Files

Close