Introduction

• Last Post 21 September 2016
WI Shooter posted this 20 September 2016

Just found your forum.  Looks great.  Have been shooting balls and Maxi's from my Thompson 50 Cal for some time now but have a fairly new 45C rifle and just bought a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 with the 22” barrel. I shoot a 250 g. cast from my 45C.  This is my, hope OK, fun gun and a great shooter.  The 45-70 is a whole new subject.  Started loading the 405 g. cast but after a back situation am looking for milder loads while I heal. Just ordered some 300 g. coasted from Missouri yesterday.  Stopped by the library this morning and ordered Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, ed 3 and 4. Don't think I will get into casting but a lot of shooting cast. Looking forward to reading, learning and posting.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 20 September 2016

welcome ...ha i too have shot a lot of commercial cast bullets ...mostly before i retired ...

one thing to consider with ” universal ” cast bullets is that the caster wants his bullets to chamber in everything .

the accuracy-seeker want his bullets to fit his throat pretty snug so it gets off to a straight shot when fired in hopes of less distortion .

notice that some custom casters now offer bullets a little larger than available few years ago ... such as 0.358 or 0.460 .... so that will help.

please keep us informed of your adventures ...we are all still learning .

ken

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 21 September 2016

WIShooter; I have been shooting my own cast bullets since before 1950. The Marlin 1895 is a great hunting rifle. Mine had Ballard rifling and shot the Lee 350 gr. Bullet very well (1.5” groups at 100 yards off a rest, on demand).

My powder of choice was RL-7. After I lost most of my vision in my right eye, I regretfully have gotten rid of most of my long guns.

I am still shooting my short guns and have a couple of .45 Colt Rugers that work quite well. A good general load is a 250 gr. Keith 454424 ahead of 8.0 grs. Of Unique. A good big game hunting load is the RCBS .45-270-SAA bullet (285 grs. In my alloy) ahead of 9.0 grs. Of Unique. If you have a LARGE frame Ruger, 24.0 grs. of H110 is a Ruger Only load that will get the job done on the biggest game.

FWIW Dale53

Attached Files

WI Shooter posted this 21 September 2016

Thanks Dale,

I have some 300 grain cast coming from Missouri bullet and want to load up a few and head to the range. I have been shooting IMR 4198.  Settled on that powder as it appeared to be one of the favorites in the 45-70 crowd.  Been shooting 405 grain bullets.  My 45 Colt is a rifle and I have been shooting 250 grain cast with 8 grains of Unique.  Really a fun shooter.  Peep sight on my 45 Colt and a scope on my Marlin. Have not had my Marlin that long but need to get up on the 100 yard range and see how they print.  Really like punching those big holes.  They are so much easier to see.

Thanks again.  It is a rainy 67 degree day in west central Wisconsin.  Good day to be retired and have an inside job.

Attached Files

Close