Early 80's Savage 110HV - .223 / 1-14" Twist

• Last Post 10 November 2016
David Reiss posted this 04 November 2016

I have a Savage 110HV in .223 with a 1-14” twist that was bought new about 1983-85. Most of my experience has been with jacketed bullets, but now I want to start with some CBs. I have the Lee “Bator” C225-55-RF & Lyman 225438 molds. Any experience with these bullets or recommendations for other molds would be appreciated. Loads & anything else that would help please let me know. Thanks to all ahead of time. 

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 04 November 2016

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=10366>[email protected]

I have used the Bator and currently shoot the Lyman 225646 that shoots better for me in .223. I have found no reference for a Lyman 225483 mold, but if it drops 60 gr or less and fits your rifle it should be workable.

The 225646 is GCd, it has a long bearing area and a very short pointed nose, all up weight is 59 gr.. I size/check at .225 to fit my rifle throat for a slide fit chambering and my LOA engages the throat taper .010” so unfired bullets that have chambered/un-chambered show a .010"mark. Anything smaller in bullet diameter or less LOA shoots all over the place. I tumble lube 45:45:10 once before size/check and once after. I shoot AA2230 at 2320 fps currently and nobody believes me how small my 10 shot groups are at 100 yards. I have shot dozens of groups just under 1.0” @ 100Yds and attribute it to my bullet fit and alloy selection of certified Lyman #2. H4895 at equal velocity shoots as well. My rifle is a simple NEF Ultra Varmint, 22” heavy barreled with a nice trigger job and added stock weight for a 9 lb 8 oz all up rifle weight. My NEF did not like H335 with cast bullets at all, but others may. H Varget groups just 1/4” larger on average for me but your rifle may love it.

The Bator is a flat nose and is very sensitive to wind in my experience, but many swear by the Bator and do well.

I believe the 225646 is currently available at MidwayUSA.

I recommend you try your bullets with H4895 starting at 2000 fps and see how far you can hold accuracy with your bullet fit. If they don't group for you at 2000, it is not likely to get better with more velocity until your bullets fit better.

Cast bullets shoot better with a bore polished slightly finer than Savage production. I recommend my bore polishing method before you start shooting cast bullets: http://www.castbulletassoc.org/viewtopic.php?id=8364&forumid=63

Gary

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 04 November 2016

lyman 225438 ....about 45 grains. a short loverin style bullet.

ken

Attached Files

I have the 225438, it was a typo.http://www.castbulletassoc.org/images/emoticons/shock.gif

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 04 November 2016

I've messed with the Bator and that Lyman in a few rifles. I'll dig out my records, such as they are. Organization isn't my strong point. If you're interested in some plain base plinkers I have a Ranch Dog mold for his little .22 design. Mine is a 6 cavity all plain base at around 51 grs. I can make a bunch in no time, easy peasy.

Attached Files

Can you just send me a few to try, then if they have promise I will order the mold. Just don't go out of your way. My address is on the CBA website. 

Attached Files

fa38 posted this 04 November 2016

If you are looking for a slow quiet load I have just worked one up for my Model 70 Varmint .223.  I recently sold my .22 cal. air rifle and needed a rifle to keep the bunny herd after my beans down to a manageable level. The load is at point of aim at both 25 and 50 yards and about an inch low at 10 yards. It opens up to two plus inches at 100 yds., but it is losing velocity and stability. The mold is a NOE 55 gr MX 4 cavity with two plain base and two gas check.  I lube them with Lee Liquid Alox and shoot them as cast.  The bullets are tapered, .226 base band .224 2nd, .222 3rd.  I shot the gas check bullet with no gas check and I think it is a bit more accurate than the plain base. Winchester S.R. or CCI 400 primers. Doesn't seem to make any difference.

Lake City 72 or 73 brass that has been neck turned.  About half the neck had brass removed which took the variation down to less than 2 thousandths. Winchester 231 powder.  The best load is 3.3 grains.  The load I am going to settle on is 2.65 grains. Not quite as accurate as the 3.3 grain load but makes a bit less noise. I do have pictures of the groups if interested.

Attached Files

David Reiss posted this 10 November 2016

Just getting this thread out front again after out forum “hacking".

Attached Files

Close