2 Grove or 4 grove Springfield barrels which is best for cast bullets accuracy?

• Last Post 14 October 2017
longhunter posted this 12 October 2017

I have a friend who wants to get a Springfield 03A3 for cast bullet shooting.  Which barrels seems to shoot the best with cast bullets? This would be in a military stocked gun.

Thanks

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 12 October 2017

I have been shooting Springfields for a little over 50 years. Any barrel dated prior to 1940 will be as good as its condition. Any WWII or 03A3 will be as good as guy who set it up for rifling at 0300 hours on a Sunday morning on his 6th hour of overtime with no meal break. They are all over the place, number of grooves make no difference. He will just have to start shooting one, if not good enough, find another. Sorry, there isn't any easy answer. High Standard replacement barrels, hence SC barrels, are generally considered the best made.

Attached Files

45 2.1 posted this 12 October 2017

Any of them are as good as the ammo you put in them. Most people use a cast bullet recommended by other people and most commercial bullets are UNDERSIZE. The results you get depend on how well that bullet fits and what you chose as alloy and load. With that said, I prefer two grooves.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 13 October 2017

there is a ton of information on the 30-06 springfield loads in the reference .... or * search * buttons at the right side panel here on the forum page.  also look in * match results * .... in * military matches * ....as the winners tend to have the loads worked out very well .

ken

Attached Files

lotech posted this 13 October 2017

I've developed cast loads for 2-groove and 4-groove barrels and can tell no difference as to accuracy. Either type will shoot very well. I use heavy bullets (above 180 grains). Bullet fit is more important than the number of grooves.   

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 13 October 2017

If you look at the military match results, the 03A3 is heavily represented.  People shoot it well because among the as-issued rifles it has among the best sights. 

I own rifles both with 2-groove and 4-groove barrels and one shoots as well as the other IF the bullets fit. 

2-groove and 5-groove Enfield barrels shoot best with bore riding bullets having as fat a nose as will fit in the throat, of large enough diameter to be engraved positively by the lands, such as #311299.

6-groove and 4-groove barrels like long-bodied bullets with shorter noses such as Saeco #315 

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

longhunter posted this 14 October 2017

Thanks to all for the comments and taking the time to write.

I will pass this on to my Friend Mic.

Thanks,

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 14 October 2017

I agree with Ed.  And remember that with a 2 groove barrel you are displacing a LOT more bullet metal as the internal dimensions are 3/8 groove, 5/8 land.  Using a bore rider (EG: 314299) will mean that the a lot less metal is being shunted around that if you were shooting a Loverin style bullet with a very long bearing surface.  My 2 groove .303 Pygmy shoots GREAT with bore riding bullets.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Close