200 yard Coyote Experiences

• 2.2K Views
  • Last Post 23 March 2019
tlkeizer posted this 14 November 2018

Greetings,

Having taken on the challenge of can I hit a coyote at 200 yards with a cast bullet, I can give a resounding "sometimes if given enough cartridges".  My first of 2 targets was interesting, even though not very outstanding.  First I tried a number of combinations of powder and charges.  The bullets given me for the 25-06 weighed 90 grains, I have no mold of my own yet (emphasis on yet).  I tried H414, Unique, Green Dot, and one other powder, all in at least two charges.  The best result was Unique, 7 grains.  The H414 sometimes gave a hang-fire if I did not raise the muzzle before firing, not a good thing and no longer used.  When loading at first I noticed an ever-so-slight ring of lead after seating the bullet on occasion, and when mentioning this to my shooting buddy he said he had an expander for reloading his 25-20 and loaned it to me for a short while.  This helped my groups considerably but not world class groups yet.  After a number of load combinations I settled on the best for me with barely enough bullets left over for the coyotes.

I had tried the various combinations at 50 yards, not desiring to walk back and forth a lot to the 200 yard range, energy conservation you know.  I started loading enough rounds for the first coyote, and realized there were actually 2 different bullets that had gotten mixed in the box, maybe the reason for the occasional ring.  One had a larger meplate than the other, so I loaded the most I  could of one bullet after loading some of both, finished the set , and got ready for the range. The bullets weighed the same, so I loaded them all alike.  I did not have enough cases to load all the rounds, so went with what I had.

200 yards is reaching quite a ways without a solid rest.  I fired a couple rounds into a sighter to find where the bullets were striking, then fired a few at the coyote.  I needed a lot of Kentucky Windage.  Made the adjustment of hold position, and fired the rest from a standing position leaning against a post.  One of the bullet types gave a pretty large dispersion, scaring, wounding and killing the coyote.  The other bullet, with the slightly larger meplate, gave a good group, but had a center of mass off the coyote.  Just like live coyotes, sometimes you get it and sometimes you don't.  My spotting scope did not pick up the individual rounds from the quarter caliber, so after a few fired rounds that were checked on by walking out, I just fired the rest

Since then I have received some heavier bullets (thank you GPIdaho), and will use some of them on coyote #2 (I have some loaded for caribou, but all I saw last time out was one caribou butt going into the woods, no shot yet).   These heavier 120 grain bullets group much better than the 90 grain bullets.  At the very least, when I buy a mold it will be in the 120 grain range.  The lighter grain bullets are not liked very well by my 25-06.  Thank you RDupraz, I appreciate you willing to give me the bullets to try.  Now I know they do not group real well with any of the powders I have on hand.  I gave what I did not load to my local shooting buddy, they work very well in his 25-20 (I believe that is it; whatever, they work well for him).

Now, on to the second coyote.  How are the rest of you doing?

TK

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 15 November 2018

Something really helps me standing and field shooting that you might consider. The Triggerstick  monopod was very easy for me to get used to and shoot better standing. It works great for kneeling too. It works great in my penthouse box stand too. I like the way I can pull it's trigger and it quietly goes to the height and locks when you release the trigger:

https://www.amazon.com/Primos-Trigger-Stick-Monopod-33-65/dp/B071ZFGSYR/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542255524&sr=8-1&keywords=trigger+stick+monopod

Saturday is my Deer/gun opener and I'll be carrying the Triggerstick for my Rem. Spartan X39.

Gary

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Maven
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 15 November 2018

great report, mr. keizer ....    we were surmising that the 200 yard coyote would resort in some pretty good stories, and heck here we go already with the very first recount of your adventure ....

i gotta admit that from my standpoint, maybe one of the boosters for this idea was from all the reports on facebook of endless 1/3 inch groupos at 300 to 600 yards with their new toys ... usually the very first group ever ...

... was hoping maybe some of those guys would give it a try with castings at our loveable 200 yard wiley ....  maybe they would only need 2 or 3 shots ...

guys, please feel free to let us all share your adventures with Wiley, help us get through the winter ...

ken, who ain't fired a shot at my coyote yet, but grinning just thinking about what all might go wrong ...

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 15 November 2018

TK

Perfect! You are confirming that cross sticks and a fence post will be required for my well seasoned physique. I am going to shoot one target with the quad sticks also.

My go to load is going to be a 243 Win, 95 gr NOE and 15-17 gr of 4198. I'll try this in two rifles.

Jim

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 17 November 2018

The first results are in and there was a very respectable score shooting 55 gr 22 cal bullets if memory serves. Now the rest of us don't have as many alibis.

Jim

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 21 November 2018

My first target will be in the mail on Friday.

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

bushranch posted this 22 November 2018

I like to use a different rifle on these "hunts" . Settled on my old M70 FW in .308 Win. Replaced my hunting scope with a used but reliable Tasco 8x32 . Left it set on 8 x . Looked through my bullet supply , have 311299 and the Old West BOWM . Seeing who we are and what we do the BOWM is a natural . This bullet is about .302 on the nose and the gas check is a bit below the neck in this rifle. Don't really like this but will see ... Load picked was a reliable one in the .303 British  , 15 grains of A 2400 x Fed 215 . Range was quiet this AM and I got it sighted in at 200 yards and it shoots fine. Got home and found my Coyote has arrived ! Bit of a surprise as Canada Post is doing rotating walkouts and there are over 600 semi loads of US mail waiting to enter the country. I also see my postal estimate was a bit light. Thanks Jim and I will get back to you on this . Now to work out how I shoot this match.  Had a good Coyote Day .. Rus 

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 22 November 2018

Happy Thanksgiving coyote hunters. 

45 targets mailed plus Ken and I of course. This adds up to 1,000 CB rounds fired at coyotes. I worry that we might be the cause of coyotes becoming extinct.

Jim

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 22 November 2018

Jim,

the only thing in danger of becoming extinct is our postal fund.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 27 November 2018

You have all realized by now that mailing these targets is good for the USPS but possibly not so good for your casting fund. Remember that you have the option to self score. Just record your score on the bottom of the tech sheet and only return the tech sheet to Ken.

Jim

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 30 November 2018

PLease note Re. the Postage.

I sent back my first  folded up target by USPS, in 11.5x 9 envelope for less than $2

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

max503 posted this 02 December 2018

I'm going to be shooting Lyman 311284 - 210 grain boolits out of my 30-30 Contender.  We got big coyotes around here.cool

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Maven
Rick OShay posted this 05 December 2018

Well since this is my first time of playing this game. I plan on using the guns that would most likley be in my truck while cruising the desert.

#1 will be my Remington 30/06 scoped

#2 will be Marlin 30/30 scoped

#3  H&R 30/30 16" barrel scoped

#4 model 94 30/30 factory sights

#5 rossi 92 .357 factory sights or savage 340 30/30 with peep sights.

All of the groups will be shot with either shooting sticks or the post on the range cover for support. Hood and side window of truck was not a option

I also will be getting help from a couple of my tween age boys shooting and working up loads.

There is a possibility of using one of my .223 for this as well but we all ready have a lot of rounds to test in the above guns listed so I dont know if we will have time before 3/1/19.

Looking forward to this and I will post my info as I go along looking for the unicorn load.  

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 05 December 2018

... i think it was jerry lee lewis ... " whole lotta shootin' goin on ... " ....

my kind of music !!

ken

Attached Files

max503 posted this 08 December 2018

Just got my targets.  My wife asked me why do I want to shoot at a wolf.  She said I can't hang them on the living room wall.

I'm going to use my scoped Contender 30-30 for one.

Just got a 2 cavity Lee 22 mold.  May use that for the second target.  I have a Tikka bolt action 223 with a 6x18 Leupold scope.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 14 December 2018

You guys are all likely way ahead of me but I thought I would share some potentially useful information. My local gun club does not have a 200 yard range. Initially I will need to sight my rifles in at 100 yards. Then on the appointed day, I will drive 60 miles to the club with the 200 yard range to shoot my targets.

In order to make the 200 yard day as easy as possible, I want to be closely zeroed for 200 yards BEFORE I leave the 100 yard range. Ok that is a long explanation. I looked up the mid range trajectory for my 243 and found that I need to be 8" to 9" high at 100 yards to be close at 200. I use a variety of scopes for shooting matches and I have never really thought about MRT in inches.

30 caliber 311299s shoot flatter but not a lot for our purposes. Try 5"-6" initially. The numbers all assume a MV of 1800 fps.

Source - Lyman Cast Bullets #3

Jim

Attached Files

max503 posted this 17 December 2018

I went to the range last Thursday with 50 rounds of 30-30 ammo loaded up for my Thompson Contender rifle with 36x44 Tasco scope.  It was cold, rainy, and windy.  But I couldn't remember if it was sighted in for 100 or 200 yards.  There is a lot of difference between those two settings due to the heavy 210 grain bullet I'm using.  Long story short - it took me most of my bullets to get sighted in at 200 yards, so instead of shooting the coyote I ended up ringing the 200 yard gong and shooting plastic bottles.  It was fun.  But I was pretty much centered.  I folded up my now wet, unused target and went home.

I went back Sunday with 24 rounds - 1 fouler, 3 sighters, 20 for target.  I was still off a little so I walked my shots to the 9 ring as I went.  

I would have killed 18 out of 20 coyotes with one clear miss and one wounded.  Not too bad shooting from sticks.  It was fun.  I look forward to shooting my other target.  Not sure if I'll use the 30-30 again or try my new mold in the 223.

(I'm naming my next coyote Bullethead.tongue-out)

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 17 December 2018

I would say that is very respectable with cross sticks. It is somewhat hard to tell with a picture but it looks like 160 give or take a couple of points. Well done.

That head is going to be a tough target off cross sticks.

Jim

Attached Files

max503 posted this 17 December 2018

I counted 155.  That uppermost shot that's barely touching the 9 ring got counted as a nine.  It was really close but it broke the line.

I never shoot coyotes in the head unless I'm using a shotgun on public land.  200 yards is kind of long for a shotgun.wink

Attached Files

tlkeizer posted this 28 December 2018

Greetings

Well, second coyote shot.  I will have to say I did better on the paper coyote than my dad did on live ones; hundreds of fox but only coyote was with a shotgun, 1 1/8 oz #7 1/2 while pheasant hunting (for those interested in the load in case they want to duplicate it (ha)).  He always peeked to watch the coyote roll and they never did.  Anyway, back to mine.

The second coyote was shot over 2 days due to running out of loaded bullets after sighting in a new load.  For my Remington 700 ADL a 120 grain cast with 16 grains H4198 work much better than 7 grains unique behind a 90 grain bullet.  I actually managed to keep all the bullets on paper the second time.  Again, thank you to RDUPRAZ and GPIdaho for the cast bullets to use.  My most stable position was sitting on a pair of gloves due to snow, with a shooting stick for added support; tried standing with support but not nearly as stable.  I do seem to shoot better when the temps are around 0 than when it hovers around 25 with that silly minus sign  in front of the reading.  By my reading I shot around 155, but will leave the official scoring up to the judge.

A few things I take from the shoot.  My 25-06 likes heavier bullets.  My 25-06 likes a moderate cast load, middle to low end of powder range seems to give better groups.  As an example, 16 grains of H4198 at 50 yards today gave me a group 1/2 inch wide, 3/4 inch verticle if you do not count the first warming shot; 22 grains H4198 gave group 1 inch wide, 1 1/2 inch verticle.  My best powder for results was H4198; Unique, H414 and Green Dot just did not give results as good; the flake powders in general did not perform as well as the ball or rod powders.  I give up on the supported standing, sitting either with supporting shooting stick or without does much better for me.  Shoot earlier in the season as sitting on cold ground gets harder and harder to get up from.  I need to get a mold of my own, and work up a load that does at least as well as what I used on the second coyote so I can do better on the next shoot.  I'm really glad it was not a moving target, it already moved enough in the scope.  Good 50 yard groups SHOULD do better at 200 yards than other groups, but load result verification is needed; sometimes not as good groups at 50 yards have less dispersion at 200 yards as can be attested to by reasons on other threads.  I will shoot it again when offered, now to get ready for that silly ground hog.

Hope all had a Merry Christmas, and have a Happy New Year.  Enjoy your shooting.

TK

Attached Files

max503 posted this 28 December 2018

I'm wondering if I could hit that dawg with a Winchester 94, iron sights, and a 200 grain boolit……….

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 29 December 2018

max503 ...  i know a guy that has a whole bunch of fresh targets for ya...  gotta uphold the honor of the old '94 ...

i bet you can drill that baby ...

ken

Attached Files

MarkinEllensburg posted this 29 December 2018

My choice seems likely to be a 35 Whelen chambered 1903.

I'll know tomorrow after a visit to the range to test 4 loads at 200 yards. I think I'll shoot prone when I finally get around to the yote target.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 29 December 2018

... at my advanced age, a lot of my old coyote-hunting buddies are gone now ... but when one drops by to share a little wine, we get most kicks out of reminiscing about the many many EASY shots we missed .... 

many many ..... that is why we are allowing 20 shots at our " standing, easy-to-hit " paper beasty ....  remember, we are trying to save LittleRedRidingHood's life ....

the more, the merrier ... i still got more targets, guys !! ...

ken

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 29 December 2018

Just wondering. Just curious.  Something was said about publishing the results

from targets received so far.

Maybe "end of year" results so far, with guns, bullets,etc info.

May be helpful to those of us who have more targets yet to shoot.

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 30 December 2018

'' hi beltfed ...

i like that idea ... in fact, we have encouraged each shooter to do just that ....  relating the experiences will encourage the rest of us to get out and " getter  done  " ....

we figured there would be some good stories to go with this ...

i do think the reports should really come from the shooters ...   and pictures are great too ....  i am the scorer tabulator on this one, and i am thinking i probably shouldn't post from my end the results sheet as we go ...  since we didn't ask everybody .....  

although this is not exactly strictly a competition for score ... more a competition to see who has the most fun ...   i can tell you that the returns so far are making me think that i should start improving my own 200 yard plinking abilities ....   

... and during my coyote hunting youth, i should have/could have used some cast bullets, at least on 200 yard shots ...

so yes, coyote shooters, please post here your adventures with El  Lobo Papel ... 

thanks, ken 

Attached Files

max503 posted this 31 December 2018

max503 ...  i know a guy that has a whole bunch of fresh targets for ya...  gotta uphold the honor of the old '94 ...

i bet you can drill that baby ...

ken

I went out with the 94 and some of my 210 grain 311284 bullets.  With the rear sight all the way up (I even moved the rear sight blade up in it's bracket) the old Winchester was lobbing those slugs on a rainbow trajectory.  We did manage to ring the gong a few times at 200 yards.  That bullseye above the gong was my aiming point.  I might have to cast up some 150 or 170 grain bullets, but all I have in those weights are single cavity molds.  

Other shooters at the range were curious about what I was trying to do.  I think they were jealous.  This is way more fun than blasting away with a semi-automatic.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 31 December 2018

funny ... about 1958, us farm boys went together and bot a 30 cal mold for our old krags and gennywine model 70 30-06 ... we studied and schemed and picked::

the 311284 !!

dumbutts found a good one !!

ken

but then made up for it by trying to salvage lead out of a car battery ...  back when you could buy new lead for the price of a coke ...

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 02 January 2019

I'm gettin ready to make a fool of my self. It was 5 degrees F today at the range.

Attached Files

longhunter posted this 02 January 2019

Well I'm right in there with ya brother.

I did take a boat cushion to sit on last time.   Snow frozen ground ICE.......

But what a good time I'm having.  Took a Savage 340 out and shot it.  30-30 and cross sticks.  What fun.

Thanks guy's for a fun way to spend the winter.

The temps have made ICE fishing rough. Bad ICE........along the Mississippi.....

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 07 January 2019

I took 3 coyote rifles to the 100 yard range today. To keep things simple, they are all 243s and I am using the same load across the board. The load happens to be a hard cast 95 gr RCBS bullet over 18.5 gr of RX7. This is a slightly hotter load than I normally use and I rarely use hard cast bullets in the 243. Anyhow they are moving fast enough to remain supersonic at 200 yards. All 3 rifles are sighted to hit 5" high at 100 yards. I finished up by shooting 1 group each off quad sticks for practice. We have warm weather (above freezing) coming this weekend so maybe it will be time to go coyote hunting.

Jim

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 07 January 2019

My longest coyote shot was a measured 280 yards in 1962. The coyote was running full bore chased by a pack of hounds. As they crossed an open field, I took a quick sitting position, swung the cross hairs in front of him about 8 feet and threw in a couple of feet of windage. The bullet caught him in the hindquarters and the dogs wre on him. The rifles was a Remington 30S in 25 Remington wearing a Weaver K4 scope. The bullets was an 87 grain Sierra and the powder charge was a proper dose of 4895.  I would have to look up the exact charge. I fully admit there was some luck in this, but luck happens more often, the more you shoot a rifle often. 

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 08 January 2019

Anybody seen a three legged coyote with a pierced ear? He's headed east from Utah.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Ken Campbell Iowa
MarkinEllensburg posted this 09 January 2019

Spent some time at the range on Sunday. There is a difference to my rifle between wheel weights and linotype. Cast a pile of ww bullets and the groups were much larger. Now I'm out of gas checks so have to stop by the reloading store to get more. Then to cast some harder bullets and try again. So glad there is plenty of time left in this event.

Also learned by the way that pvc fence rail does not respond favorably to bullet impacts. I was hoping to make a better target stand. We will stick with lumber.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 09 January 2019

... maybe we need some of those fantastically accurate rifles i read about over on facebook ....  we could save a lot of postage if we used postage-stamp sized coyote targets ....

ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
Scearcy posted this 09 January 2019

Hey Ross, I saw an one eared coyote in the back this morning! Yours maybe? That takes a heck of a shot to hit one in the ear while its running. Congrats!

Jim

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 10 January 2019

He wasn't running, just laughing at me.

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 10 January 2019

Mark: I have a similar bad habit as yours. I still make my target stand of pvc pipe but I no longer use glue. That way I can take it partially apart to lay flat and easily replace those injured pieces.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • MarkinEllensburg
Scearcy posted this 11 January 2019

This probably comes under the heading of "no chance" but I made a set of standing quad sticks today. I think the proper technique requires placing your back against a tree. We will see as I am going to do at least one target this way. The front and back cross sticks are hinged to each other at the bottom.

Jim

Attached Files

jchiggins posted this 11 January 2019

Jim,

A little optimistic, I'd say.  Not the sticks, the firearm.  Watch your eyes.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • max503
Scearcy posted this 12 January 2019

In case anyone is wondering, my favorite load for this rifle is subsonic.

Jim

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
  • Ross Smith
Scearcy posted this 14 January 2019

I headed out to the 200 yard range this morning. It is 50 miles away.  Soon the thermometer was reading 29 degrees and it started raining. Black ice! The coyotes will live to see another day.

Jim

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 15 January 2019

Nice riffle gun! My next target is with my flintlock. Probably score about the same as your bb gun.

Attached Files

longhunter posted this 16 January 2019

Well I shot my 4th and last Coyote on Sunday.  It was the best of the four.  

Thanks Jim for a fun way to spend the winter doing what I enjoy most.

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 16 January 2019

Good morning Jon. You were wise to get your targets done before this weekends weather. We are headed for 18 degrees below zero Saturday so my coyotes have to wait a little longer.

Do you mind sharing a few details. I can preface this question for everyone by saying Jon is  helluva shooter. Were you prone? cross sticks? The usual 3006? Please share anything you are comfortable sharing.

Jim

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 16 January 2019

We had a serious ice storm here (MN) 2 weeks ago. Up here that ice may last into mid march. I quickly discovered, or confirmed, that cross sticks are seriously compromised on an icy surface.

Yesterday I cobbled up an adjustable tripod out of an old camera tripod. I replaced the head with a V shaped bumper from the bow of a boat trailer. Total cost less than $10 if you already have an old camera tripod. Primos makes nice commercial tripods but they are seriously expensive.

Jim

Attached Files

longhunter posted this 17 January 2019

Good Morning,

Second cup of coffee so I am ready to shoot, so to speak!  Thank you for the nice words.

We also had a two inch rain awhile back.  So conditions are not fun for winter shooting. No snow left all ICE and frozen ground.

I shot on a boat cushion and cross sticks.  I to could not get the cross sticks to plant them selves in the ice.(My Friend Duke suggested drilling holes in the ground for the ends of the cross sticks to fit in.)  Good Idea but I didn't do that. So I Sat with my left knee up and pulled the cross sticks against it(my knee) with my left hand!  I think there is a Monkey joke in there some where!  I seemed to get a couple of shots off and then the sticks would slip.  SO it goes.  I would just redo the position and shoot a few more shots is a lot of work for an old Fa-- with a bad back hip and knee replaced.

First rifle was a 7.62x54R Mosin Nigant. Second rifle was a Savage 30-30 Weaver K6. Third was a Springfield o3 with Irons.

Fourth was a Springfield rebarreled and chambered in 308 Win. Redfield 6X18 scope.  This is my tack driver of a cast rifle.

I think Jim will publish the loads at the end of the Demise of all the Coyotes. 

Thanks to Jim and his helpers in this fun MATCH....What a great way to pass the winter!

Thanks again,

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 17 January 2019

couple 3 thoughts over my hot cocoa as i look out at the icy mush on my sidewalk  ( and the 200 yard backstop at the local range )  :

1)  my idea of a " coyote " shoot came from my wasted youth sitting in snowbanks trying to get a frozen finger to feel and pull the trigger on a nervous teensy coyote out there an unknown long distance, no wind flags,  and wondering if 9 below zero meant i should aim higher ....  so i supposed that twenty shots might not be unreasonable, might have to "" walk in "" a few shots .... heh ...

2) some targets and/or data sheets  have started to come in .... dang !! ...  wish you guys could have hunted with me back when i was young and so stupid i never considered a guy could actually freeze to death out there .... hey, we aren't actually keeping score, but i can relate that you guys are making cast bullets and old guns look real good as a wiley buster !! .... 

3) i need to dig out my extra duty long johns and get out there myself ....  funny how looking at all those bullet holes from guys that sent me targets gets my blood warm enough that i might survive a couple hours in one of those snowbanks i remember .... hell, might knock off about 50 years ...

thanks, guys !!

ken

Attached Files

max503 posted this 17 January 2019

My cross sticks got nails in the ends that go in the ground.

Attached Files

longhunter posted this 18 January 2019

Mine do to Max but when its all ice and frozen they don't go in so easy!

When I Fox/Coyote hunted out in as  North West Iowa I had snow shoes on and I had ski poles that I used.  I had planned on using the ski poles as cross stix in this shoot but with no snow and all ice I could not make them work!  So I used my Blackpowder Stix and they did fine.

Ken I to get warmed up thinking of the days spent walking sections in pursuit of Fox and Coyotes.

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 18 January 2019

There is no way to get cross sticks spikes in the ground up here. Actually the idea of drilling holes is not bad. I would use a masonry bit.  3' square of old carpet works well under the quad sticks.

Back in the day we used dogs for coyotes and tried to catch them as they emerged from the woods. We would have starved to death if we were trying to live off the fur sales. Walking up jack rabbits in the South Dakota shelter belts used to be fun but there are not very many rabbits any more. I have family out by Mitchell. They are running coyotes with greyhounds now. Hardly need a rifle.

Jim

Attached Files

max503 posted this 18 January 2019

I started hunting coyotes with a down-loaded 30-06, then went to a shotgun - for public hunting areas, or my Contender 44 mag on private land.  I learned to call them in close with a reed-type turkey call.  The ground here rarely freezes solid but coyotes are becoming much more abundant and bold.  Anymore I only use a rifle for paper coyotes.

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 18 January 2019

I saw a fellow running coyotes in the San Juaquine valley of CA. back in the 60's with greyhounds and two doberman catch dogs for when they got the yote all tired out.  I have shot them with 45acp, shotgun, .243W. , 30/06 and whatever else was handy.  Killed one hunting pheasants in the cotton fields.  Coyotes would feed on the weeder geese in the cotton, and some of us carried #2 shot for when we were blocking and maybe saw a yote sneaking out.  Too dangerous to use a rifle there.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 20 January 2019

Here is a picture of Rus Arnold's coyote rifle. It just struck me as a nice rig that should be shared. BTW he killed a number of coyotes also.

Jim

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 21 January 2019

might mention that there is still about 5 weeks left before coyote season closes ... and i still have some targets  ... got an interesting gun that needs a little outdoors time  ?? ....   ...  pm me if you decide to get in on the fun, we will get right on it !!  ...

ken....

Attached Files

max503 posted this 28 January 2019

I'm going to shoot my second and last target with this.  It's a 22 Hornet.  If nothing else the handgun will give me a really good excuse if I hose it real bad.tongue-out  Don't know if you can see it, but I got that upper group at 200 yards, from a rest, using 45 grain bullets.  The lower "pattern" was with a 55 grain bullet.  I don't think Mr. Hornet likes those very much. 

Haven't decided yet what kind of hold I'll use.  Sighted in at 50 yards, that 45 grain load drops 27 inches at 200 yards.  I sure hope it isn't windy on the day I shoot.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 28 January 2019

YOU, SIR, ARE A BRAVE MAN! Do wait for it to warm up. The weather forcast calls for -40 here Thursday morning   (not wind chill but real temp). Of course the forecast for Saturday is +30. Insane!

Jim

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 29 January 2019

***Interim Report***

We have results from 13 targets so far. This includes 1 handgun, 1 mini 14, 1 256 Win, 1 iron sight and 6 other calibers. The average score for these 13 is 134. The highest score is 176. Keep them coming!

Many of you live in the path of the current unpleasant polar vortex. Shooting can resume in a few days.

Jim

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 30 January 2019

... this icy snow to the range is bad enough, but how am i going to get that barn door target down to 200 yards without a real stupid mule ?? ....  

ken

Attached Files

4060may posted this 30 January 2019

I really thought the weather would hold up, 40deg or so, rainy....but NE Ohio reminded me how it's going to be, over 20" snow on the ground, -5 deg and 5-9 mph winds, even when I was 30 and doing Hare Scrambles in the winter, -5 was too cold for me, at 76yo it is too cold in the house at 72 deg

hopefully there will be a thaw

Chuck

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 30 January 2019

-35 here tonight. -5 tomorrow night. a high of 40 on Saturday. Relief is headed your way in a couple of days.

Attached Files

jchiggins posted this 05 February 2019

This morning it was 38 deg., overcast, slight breeze, occasional rain w/snow mix.  Perfect hunting weather.  Heard there were two coyotes prowling about; didn't take long to spot one.  He was 200 yards away and it was obvious it was an alpha male; I could tell by his general countenance and the predatory glace he gave in my general direction.  

I quickly assumed a prone position and aimed my namesake rifle at him (J. C. Higgins Model 50 30-06).  After several shots I realized he was utilizing an uncanny strategy to avoid my shots.  He stood motionless.  Every succeeding shot irritated him until he finally succumbed to fright and a loss of blood.  My better judgement prevents me from posting a picture of him.

The other coyote must be the alpha female.  It was constantly yipping and barking at my target animal.  I'll scare her to death in a few days after I do more load development. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Redleged
Larry Gibson posted this 07 February 2019

I finally got out this afternoon to shoot the 1st of my two targets.  Was cool here with a cold wind coming out of the north.  I have pondered quite a bit as to what rifles to use.  Finally decided on my M70 Classic Sporter 30-06 with a 311041 load from a sitting position using a Primos Trigger Stick Bipod.  I shot that today.  Will use my 30x60 XCB with Harris bipod from the prone on the 2nd target.

The wind was at my back fishtailing from1030 to 2 o'clock. I put the 'yote up at 200 yards.  I had a good 100 yard zero but no real 200 yard zero  so went up adjusted the Zeiss elevation up 6 moa and shot 3 sighters on a 6" "Shoot n see".  They were "in there" so I went for the gold......head shots.  Scored a 170.  Had I gone for the heart lung "9" zone I may have picked up 3 or 6 points but what the hey.....all my shots except 1 would have rung Mr 'yote's chimes and that one would sure have given 'yote an ear ache..... Was lots of fun, can't wait to shoot with the 30x60 XCB.....thanks to Searcy and Ken for putting this on....

LMG

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Redleged
max503 posted this 07 February 2019

Well there's old Bullethead!!

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 07 February 2019

larry ::  ... dayamm !! ....

Attached Files

longhunter posted this 07 February 2019

Nice shooting!

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

Larry Gibson posted this 07 February 2019

Ken

Got to admit it turned out to be one of those "diamond" days when everything seemed to go just right.  I was the only one at the range so there was no distraction.  I'm an old high power shooter so I understand what a good stable sitting position is.  I use a cross ankle position with both elbows forward across the knee and well supported.  I'm not able to use a tight sling anymore (old neck injuries) but using the bipod in position was almost as good. Back in my HP days using the sling properly I could shoot almost as good sitting as I did prone.

I was able to really relax between shots and keep the sporter barrel cool.  I shot the 1st 10 shots and couldn't see any bullet holes "off fur" but it was hard to see any on the 'yote as there was quite a bit of mirage.  I took a break and went down and checked the target.......you said exactly what I said........ That 1st 10 shots put the 2 low just outside the 10 ring, 5 in the 10 ring and the 3 at 11 o'clock arcing to the ear. 

Went back and shot the 2nd 20 shots.  I called the 2 low shots as down and possibly off target but I got lucky and they weren't.  That rifle load combination usually holds right at 4" at 200 yards so the 6" group sitting with the bipod was definitely one of my better days.  Velocity runs 1850 t0 1900 fps btw and I've killed a number of deer and even a couple 'yotes with that load.

LMG

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 07 February 2019

Larry

That is a very nice target! Excellent shooting. I believe you are the first guy to go for the head. Now t is up to some of the rest of us to try that smaller target also. Congratulations.

Jim

Attached Files

4060may posted this 08 February 2019

got out yesterday, 53 deg and pouring rain, fog was terrible

wish I could still shoot laying down, sitting on a chair with really high sticks/support sucks

rained so hard the target almost slid out of the staples, reason the target is so wrinkled

anyhow I scored it 11-9, 6-7, 3-10 for 99+42+30=171

No1 Ruger 32-40, plain base, NOE 323323, 300MP powder WLRM primers

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 08 February 2019

4060may - Very well done from a high position. I have to shoot off of a chair also and that is not easy. Larry and you have raised the bar for the rest of us.

-21F here last night and now we have 18" of snow. 200 yards (back and forth) is too far until things get better.

Jim

Attached Files

4060may posted this 08 February 2019

the USPS got me again, because the target was so messed up, it made the envelope thicker than 1/4" , because of this the price to send it was $4.53, only $2.54 to me because the envelope was flatter

I do not have a good relation with the mail service where I live, probably have to go to a different PO from now on

23deg 25mph winds and snowing here, glad yesterday it was warm, would have had 24" of snow with the amount of rain

going to try a m78 Swiss Vetterli, issue sights for the next target, if I get some sun and warm

Attached Files

max503 posted this 08 February 2019

I like the pictures.  

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 08 February 2019

4060may

Just write your score on the tech sheet and only mail that back. There is no need for us to single handedly support the USPS.

Jim

Attached Files

Larry Gibson posted this 08 February 2019

Send the score sheets to you or Ken?

The sun was out and the wind wasn't all that bad so I decided to finish the match with my 2nd target this afternoon.  I was going to use my 30x60 but discovered I didn't have enough rounds loaded so I decided to go with the M70 30-06 again with the same load I shot before as I had 25 of those left.  I did decide on prone position so I put a Harris bipod on the M70.  At the range I put the target up at 200 yards and threw my shooting mat down on the very cold cement at the firing line. 

Since I had cleaned the rifle I put the same elevation on the 3x9 scope that I used the other day and shot a fouler into the berm and then 2 sighters on a Sight n See target.  Mirage was really horrible and I couldn't see any bullet holes with the scope on 9X.  I got out my spotting scope and could hardly even see them through the 25X spotting scope.  They looked "good" so I, once again, went for the gold and shot all head shots.  Boy that 'yote's head was dancing all around in the mirage!  depressed   I did a bit better this time but not really that much as I scored a 176 on the 2nd 'yote.  Could have played it "safe" and shot the 9 zone but was more fun and satisfying to me to go for head shots. 

Again, was a fun match and kudo's the Scearcy and Ken for doing the work putting it on.  Will get the score sheets off tomorrow or Monday.

4060may.....well doneapplause

LMG

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 09 February 2019

hey guys... we will also take a scan or pic of just your data sheet just e-mailed to us.  it is my turn this " match " so preferably send them to me ... but to jim scearcy is ok also, he would just forward them to me ....

... and it is fun to see the targets too, so even though you might not have a 8 foot scanner ( g ) it is cool if you can email us a photo ...

EVEN BETTER  if you can post the photo here; i think we all appreciate the effort going into putting 20 shots downrange at ol wiley ... 

thanks guys , ken

Attached Files

4060may posted this 09 February 2019

Larry

Thanks, mirage is really hard to shoot i, you did well

the weather here is like a yoyo, hopefully it will get better before 1 Mar and I can shoot my second target

Jim, Ken

maybe on the next match, if we are going to send pictures, we could use pasters and shoot multiple matches on the same target, just a thought

Chuck

Attached Files

jchiggins posted this 10 February 2019

Good idea 4060may.....

If we use pasters for this event, we could shoot additional times and submit photos and the additional tech sheets via email.  If we did that, could we drop the required $$ in the mail to you and say I decided to shoot a few more coyotes?  

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 10 February 2019

Chuck we are definitely open to anything that a) takes less postage and b) results in more posted pictures. The whole purpose of the coyote hunt is for everyone to have as much fun as they can have - at our current ages of course. I have been thinking I would shoot two matches per target. I believe one can shoot 20 shots at the chest and then 20 shots at the head without generating any confusion. At least I hope those two groups don't overlap.

Mirage will be a killer as long as there is still snow on the ground.

Jim

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 10 February 2019

Good shooting, Larry.  Looks like you tied the previous High of 176

that I shot with my M1941  O3A1  springfield.sniper rifle  /  311299 bullet.

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

Larry Gibson posted this 11 February 2019

beltfed

I always have enjoyed shooting cast out of the 30-06, it's always hard to beat.  I've shot a lot of 'yote's over the years and have to say that target was a tough one.  Usually only get 1 shot at a 'yote but shooting 20 shots.......man, them's tough 'yote's.......wink

LMG

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 11 February 2019

Interesting thought.

Max score if a person shoots at the Heart/lung area is 180.

We are approaching that limit., So it is going to be a head shot game

as we get better at this coyote shooting and need to have more than 180

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

delmarskid posted this 02 March 2019

It got warm enough to shoot here so that is what I did. I shot four targets. Two with the a-bolt and two with the receiver sighted Springfield, both in 06. There is a saying that goes, "Learn humility or prepare for humiliation.". I'm good to go. I know why there are so many coyotes out here. I had a lot of fun with this. I did the last target with the Springfield off hand. Not as good at that as I was.

Attached Files

max503 posted this 03 March 2019

Multiple bullet holes in the head look creepy.

Attached Files

4060may posted this 19 March 2019

Hah.....got out last week, shot the Swiss-Vetterli, 10.4x38r, did not do as well as I thought I would

Issue sights at 200yds at a white target, not well defined, printed part is very light, if it had a bigger head I would have done better, I held on the bottom left corner to hit the head...

of course I was shooting in the pre-tornado winds, I never seem to pick the right day

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
Scearcy posted this 20 March 2019

4060may

Every day is the right day to shoot a nice old rifle. Good target - you are a good sport.

Jim

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 21 March 2019

STATUS REPORT - MARCH 21

We have 19 scores submitted so far. That means more than half of the scores are yet to come in. Time is beginning to get a little short for the laggards (which includes me).

Someone asked for an interim report on the results some time back. Here is the briefest of summaries:

iron sight scores range from 44 to 75

scoped scores range from 61 to 176

many scores clustered in the 130-150 range

Just this morning I sent emails many of those yet to submit a score. Some did not go through so consider this post to be your reminder.

Good Shooting!

Jim

Attached Files

max503 posted this 21 March 2019

Hah.....got out last week, shot the Swiss-Vetterli, 10.4x38r, did not do as well as I thought I would

Issue sights at 200yds at a white target, not well defined, printed part is very light, if it had a bigger head I would have done better, I held on the bottom left corner to hit the head...

of course I was shooting in the pre-tornado winds, I never seem to pick the right day

I just shot my 22 Hornet pistol on a windy day from crossed sticks.  My target looks like yours.  Glad to see there are others who are just in it for the fun.

I would have done better if I got down prone but I had my good clothes on.wink

Attached Files

Wineman posted this 23 March 2019

TTurner and I had a great day two weeks ago. Warm, no wind, range not too crowded. We were the only guys at 200. I shot a M1903 Faux A4 (rescued a sporter, in a scant stock, weaver 6x, barrel is cut down but a 4 groove), prone with a GI sling. Load was 311284 at 311x302, 45:45:10 3x; 21 gr SR4759 (last can...) and a WLR in FL cases. At 100 it would hover around 1.5 MOA. Out at 200 it was only minute of Coyote, not good enough for consistent head shots. Managed a 140 and a 131. We were shooting in 15 minute target change intervals and I should not have tried to get all 20 shots off in each one. In prone the scope was harder to manage a good sight picture with my blended glasses. It was really a fun shoot. Thank for extending the time, it really helped.

Dave

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 23 March 2019

Hello,

This is getting VERY LONG to page thru.

I am starting a "200 Yard coyote experience II Thread"

Hope this is OK, Searcy

Attached Files

Close