2018 Bunny Gun/Groundhog Postal

• Last Post 09 February 2018
4060may posted this 07 February 2018

Jm, Ken, Tom

Are these matches still on for 2018?  If so Same particulars? mail in or post targets online?

Chuck

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Tom Acheson posted this 07 February 2018

From a post elsewhere here about 2-weeks ago...

Guys,

Running and shooting in local CBA BR matches, scoring CBA Postal targets AND shooting my own Postal targets and still working at a job, has me busy to the extent that taking on the Bunny Match is beyond my ability. But here is something that those with a burning desire to see the Bunny Match continue can try.

Get a petition circulated with the names of people who WILL shoot the event if it were available. Send it to Mike Kastning, the CBA Postal Director, asking that one more year of a trial offering be set-up. But be prepared...if the list is short Mike may say no, remembering that he is awfully busy with the CBA Postal program already. 

It helps to remember back to last year. The Bunny Gun subject here on the forum had quite a few people saying they wanted to do it....but in the end the turnout was whimpy!

Good luck!

Tom

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 07 February 2018

hi ... on these warmer days ( above 8 degrees ) ... i have got a warmer shivver remembering the groundhog shoot last spring ... i haven't talked to jim about it yet but i bet if there is some interest we could do it again ...  if it were baseball, it would be a " pickup " game ... heh, only 3 rules :: plainbase, 4 power or irons, and at least 50 yards ... 

will talk with jim about it.   ken

Attached Files

4060may posted this 07 February 2018

I would be in, and I know of a couple guys I shoot with would be in....seems I missed out in 2017

3 rules would be great, did the last one had a caliber restriction of .30 ?

I live a a long ways from you and Jim, NE Ohio,  but would be interested in helping

Chuck

Attached Files

GWarden posted this 07 February 2018

Have the results been posted for last year's bunny gun matches?

Bob

Attached Files

4060may posted this 08 February 2018

I know I posted mine, but it looks like they wee lost in the forum update

IIRC there were 3-4 results posted and then it seems the match just dwindled

Attached Files

these are the posted targets

Attached Files

22lr

Attached Files

colt 32 s&wL

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 08 February 2018

4060may... re:   groundhog shoot ... originally it was 30-06 only, to commemorate the history of that great catridge ... but heck, flexibility snuck in, and it turned out great to allow any cartridge .... seen a couple 30-40 krag, some 45-70 .... why not ... !! ...   and even black powder !! ... pretty cool ...

ken, mr. flexible

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 08 February 2018

As Ken said we went quite informal on the rules last year (Groundhog shoot). A pick up basketball game is an apt comparison. We started out thinking 3006 only but quickly opened it up to any cartridge. There was a muzzle loader, a number of 45-70s, a 50-70 I believe, lots of 3006s and then some lighter calibers. Nothing below 25 cal as I recall. The shooting position rules were the same as the Bunny gun shoot and of course the bullets had to be plain base. I posted the results and the equipment sheets. It was lots of fun and lots of good info.

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 08 February 2018

I would participate. I might even get Al Nelson and friend to come join the fun. Ross

Attached Files

Urny posted this 08 February 2018

New guy here, just got my first Fouling Shot today.  Are these targets shot off hand?

Attached Files

original rules

REVISED AUGUST 25 2016 - leave it this way for the online trial:
PRACTICAL SMALL GAME aka, “Rabbit Hunter” or “Bunny Gun”
This match is a fun competition encouraging use of fixed ammunition using plain-based lead bullets in light hunting rifles or handguns suitable for hunting small game, fired at short range, from practical field positions.
1) Any center-fire or rimfire single-shot or repeating rifle of weight not exceeding 7-1/2 pounds, complete with iron sights, or low powered scope. Sling (if desired) may be used.
2) Any center-fire or rim fire pistol or revolver, no caliber or barrel length restrictions, but handgun with sights, either iron sights or scope may not exceed 50 ozs.   
IRON SIGHT class - record targets are shot at 50 FEET.
SCOPE SIGHT CLASS - record targets shot at 50 YARDS.
3) NO restriction as to caliber. Either rimfire or center-fire firing fixed ammunition and lead bullets without a gas check.  .22 LR and WRF with lead bullets are OK, but jacketed .17 HMR, .22 WMR, are not.
4) Rifle barrels must 18 inches or longer. Muzzle diameter or measurement across the flats (if octagon) may not exceed .75”
5) Iron sights may not contain any glass or plastic lenses, filters or leveling aids.
6) Telescopic sights used for either rifle or pistol may not exceed 6X. Variables may be taped at 6X "Honor System."
7) Modern or custom guns to follow the “spirit” of the rules, as being suitable for a farmer’s or country gentleman’s “walking gun”, lawman’s carbine or outdoorsman’s trail handgun. Stocks must be of wood. Laminated stocks are permitted, as are bedding adjustments or repairs containing fiberglass or epoxy, as long as the gun meets the weight restrictions.
NRA Lifesize Game Target Cottontail Rabbit
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=552641
RIFLE:
Ten shots fired in a time limit of ten minutes from any practical field position at a range of 50 YARDS. Shooting must be from off the ground and may be fired either from the prone, sitting, kneeling or standing position, shooter’s choice. No hook butt plates or palm rests are permitted. A shooting sling, walking stick or cane, tree branch or crossed sticks held in the hand may be used for support. Shooters who require use of a wheel chair for mobility may use one arm of the chair for support.
HANDGUN (Pistol or Revolver):
Ten shots fired in a time limit of ten minutes from an unsupported standing position at a range of 50 FEET in the IRON sight class, and 50 YARDS in the scope sight class. A two-handed hold may be used, but no other means of support is allowed.

SCORING:
Unlimited practice shots may be taken on the marked sighter target.
Ten shots are permitted on marked record targets. If there are excessive hits the low ten shots will be scored. Shots contained completely inside the brain or heart-lung vital areas without breaking the lines count “X” used in breaking ties only. Shots breaking the lines of the vital areas score ten points each. Shots not breaking vital lines, but completely contained within the rabbit body count 8 points. Leg hits 5 points. Scratch hits touching anywhere else on rabbit including the feet, ears or tail count 1 point each.
FOR THE PURPOSE OF THIS ONLINE MATCH, BUY YOUR OWN TARGETS, SHOOT THEM ON YOUR HOME RANGE, AND POST PICTURE OF YOUR TARGET WITH GUN AND LOAD INFO.
Most of all HAVE FUN!  For now lets limit people to one entry in each class, iron sighted rifle, scoped rifle, iron sighted handgun, scoped handgun. 
People can start shooting and posting targets right away and we will shut off entries on Christmas Day 2016.
So, shoot'em and post'em when you've got'em!
Last edited on Thu Aug 25th, 2016 064 pm by Ed Harris

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Maven
Urny posted this 09 February 2018

Thank you for the complete rules.  I will check the targets at Midway and see if I can not join this.

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 09 February 2018

The photo of the targets on the cover were shot from the bench. You'll notice the small metal piece at the base of the grip butt. That's to help reduce twist of the gun during recoil. The gun is positioned in a front rest with a sandbag and the butt rests on another sandbag.

Tom

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 09 February 2018

Just an observation...the lengthy equipment rules for the Bunny Gun event might have discouraged shooters from joining in. The Groundhog equipment rules are much simpler and had a lot more people participating.

Tom

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 09 February 2018

Like Tom said. The rules posted above were not the rules we used for the groundhog shoot. I believe the only place we used the Bunny gun rules was the rules for the positions. We didn't have any handguns and everything was shot at 50 yards.

I will probably dig them out tonight

Jim

Attached Files

4060may posted this 09 February 2018

Tom, Jim

I realize this but, the question was about the original Bunny Gun rules, this is what i posted

The Ground Hog shoot was over before I knew it, or I would have shot it

Again if any help is needed let me know, I would like to see both matches done again

Chuck

Attached Files

Close