.218 Bee cast loads

• Last Post 5 days ago
loophole posted this 1 weeks ago

I have a Ruger #1 in .218 Bee.  My best loads with jacketed bullets were around 1".  I worked for a while with cast bullets a few years ago, but got bored with inconsistency.  Anyone want to share any goods loads in the .Bee?  I have been shooting #1's and #3's for almost 50 years, so I think folks have taught me most of the accurizing quirks of the rifle.  I also have a very accurate (with jacketed) #3 in .223, but I never have gotten great groups with cast.  All suggestions will be appreciated.

Steve K

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 1 weeks ago

I set my Bee up to headspace on the shoulder, and used Lyman 224415 sized .225" with 3.0 grains of WW231. But I  have never had a Ruger, so don't know if that works or not for you.

Attached Files

admiral posted this 1 weeks ago

I have a few 218 Bee's including a red pad Ruger No.1. The thing I found with mine was it had about .168" from the end of the case to the start of the rifling. As such traditional Hornet 45gr. semi spitzer jacketed bullets couldn't be seated out far enough to even come close to the rifling origin. If you used the standard COAL that is listed in reloading manuals for lever actions accuracy was down right poor, 2-3" five groups @ 100. Once I tried 50gr. Hornady or Sierra spitzers groups shrank down to 1/2-5/8" for five shots. The extra length of the 50 grainers allowed just off the rifling bullet seating. As far as cast I use the NOE .226"-47-RF-B4 BRP mould @ .225" and drive them 2500 fps. I'm not home at the moment so I can't give you the powder charge. I use IMR 4198 and Accurate 1680 but prefer the 4198. The load does get lead build up and require brushing after 20 rounds but it is accurate.

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 1 weeks ago

These are .218 B Contenter pistol loads. Cases set to headspace on the shoulder.

RCBS 225-55-SP

11.5 grains IMR 4198 " old stock" ***

Lee 225-55

7grains Alliant 2400

Both sized to .225", Nose sized to fit bore, Rem. 7 1/2 BR primer. near 1/2" five shotters at fifty yards. WW/ lino alloy 14-15 Bhn. Safe in my pistol, may not be in your Ruger. For information only. 

R.

Attached Files

loophole posted this 1 weeks ago

I appreciate the info, gentlemen.  I'll dig out the Bee components and load up a few rounds.

Steve K 

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 5 days ago

Not Bee but my Hornet loves Lil Gun under a 40gr cast bullet.  7gr.  7.5-8gr in the Bee would duplicate.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Close