22 RIMFIRE HOLE DRILLING APPARATUS NEEDED

• Last Post 01 February 2018
joeb33050 posted this 31 January 2018

I just happen to have a case of GECO very-accurate-in-my-martini 22 ammunition that I could use to put this whole bullet weighing business to bed. I need a jig/holder thing to hold the cartridge, with a hole for a drill bit at 90 degrees. I could use a pin vice with the bit. Or?

Anyone?

joe b., DATAMAN!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 31 January 2018

here is my 4th version of a fantasy drill thingy ..

a rectangular metal bar maybe 6-8 inches long so you can c-clamp it to a kitchen table.

about .6 inches wide so the 0.225-6 hole reamed through horizontally it will leave a little of the nose of the 22 you stick in the hole sticking out.  so after you drill a hole in the bullet you can tap the cartridge back out a tad and pull it out with your finger .

the guide hole for your drill bit is horizontal from the end so you can use a drill motor so not to get carpal tunnel right away .

aluminum would last 500 or so drillings before the drill guide hole becomes sloppy ...

i am not sure how to avoid a lead chips problem.  maybe a brush... and wd40 lube the drill bit.  or a vacuum sweeper ..

what size drill bit and where on the bullet is the hole ??

or put the guide hole near the brass and adjust hole location  with a washer ...? ...

roll that version around ... gotta start somewhere ...

ken

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 01 February 2018

Ken;

Thanks, and a 1/16" drill seems about right. The washer would work just fine.Somehow I need a stop on the bit to keep all holes same depth. Are such stops made?

joe b.

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 01 February 2018

Yes, Jamestown makes a 1/16" longer 2 setscrew drill bit stop.

joe b.

Attached Files

Close