41 mag molds

• 9.3K Views
  • Last Post 28 April 2018
ubetcha posted this 03 June 2008

I was just paging through some of my catalogs and noticed that the cast bullet mold selection for 41 mag is very limited.most molds listed are for 210 gr.Is this because 41 mag is not that popular or is it just that the 210 gr bullet is the best performer for this caliber?I'm reloading 41 mag for a friend of mine that just bought it from a friend of his.The molds that I do have are Lee 210gr TL, Lee 195 gr swc,and I believe that we got the last Lee 240gr swc they had.At least thats what I was told.Also every mold available is plain base.no gas checks.Why is that so?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 04 June 2008

I have seen molds that are gas checked, in fact they are mosted GC molds, plain base moulds are very limited.

I think it is because it is a Mag caliber. My buddy in western MI has one and he loves it. I think he is casting a 210 gr bullet and shooting it without a GC with 8.0 gr. of Unique. He says it is real accurate.

Attached Files

runfiverun posted this 04 June 2008

you ever try to find 41 cal gas checks ?

Attached Files

Veral Smith posted this 05 June 2008

Use 416 gas checks for 41 revolvers.  Hornady and Gator make them, with Gator being cheapest and every bit as good quality as Hornady.  These also work fine for 40 cal autos and rifles which are between the 10 MM and 41 cal.  (RCBS and Lyman checks of current manufacture are both made by Hornady, to Hornady specs.

I make molds in any weight you want for 41, in plain base or gas check, and most of the molds I sell are for gas check.  The 41 is sadly a sleeper so far as the general public is concerned, but those who have them love them.

I think the best bullet one can get for the 41 mag for game up to elk, is my 220 gr WFN with gas check shank, and with crimp groove cut for a .4 nose length.  Some like 250 gr, but they cannot be pushed to enough velocity for quick killing power.  There are no SWC's out there that will approach the killing punch of the above WFN profile.

There are many 41 molds out there which were cut for the old Lyman non crimping checks, which are no longer available, and 416 checks will not fit.  Try 44 checks.  They will crimp down nicely if the check shank is long enough to accept them, as they will  become a bit taller when sized down.  If you have trouble sizing them, anneal them first.

You can contact  me for LBT molds at   LBTMoulds.com

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 05 June 2008

B)  41 Magnum is on my list of barrels to collect and shoot, this is good info to see online.  We need a good mould and gas check match up.

I shot a friend's 41 Mag at the range- wow, that's some accuracy, too! Think this is a wonderful handgun calibre.

Attached Files

ubetcha posted this 06 June 2008

I'm trying to work up a load for my mine friend with the 41mag for hog hunting.I'm starting him out with light loads so he can get used to shooting a handgun and feel comfortable with it.Then start going heavier but with a limit that he can handle.Any recommendations on starting loads?

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 06 June 2008

I have found it hard to beat this teaching tool loads and sequence:

100 rounds of 4.0 grains of Bullseye with 210 grain bullet

100 rounds of 8.0 grains of Unique with same bullet

100 rounds of 16.0 grains of 2400 with same bullet

Shoot no more than 25 rounds per trip to the range with lots of dry fire practice in between.

HTH, Ric

Attached Files

Neffy posted this 07 June 2008

I recently found a guy that sells gas checks for the 41 mag that fit well. Bullet swaging Supply inc. 387-7257 . I called and got a dentist office, but it was him. I guess he is a dentist by occupation. $26.00 a thousand a little salty. I was a little apprehensive about reaching a dentist ordering casting supplies, but they arived verry quickly and they worked really well, didn't fall off and were not too tight.

Attached Files

Neffy posted this 07 June 2008

I shoot a lot of 41 magnum. I don't shoot heavy. I have a 61/2 Blackhawk and like it. I had been shooting 7.6g of 231 with a 210g nosler jacket worked pretty good. I recently got a Lyman 2640610 215g FN gas check mould loaded up with 14.2g 2400. I only shot a couple cylinders to check on the new gas checks. It looks like it is a verry accurate load. I was shooting at a blank piece of paper at about 20 some yards to see if any gas checks were seperating and to my surprise I started to print a very nice group so I got a little more serious and shot a 11/2 group the first time at the range with that bullet and that load.

Attached Files

Veral Smith posted this 08 June 2008

The BSS gas checks are the Gator checks I recomended above.  They won't come off in flight if you can't pull them off with your fingers after they are sized on.

About pistol training.  Shoot a lot of light loads, as they will never start flinching.  Loads that hurt ears or from recoil will start flinching for the strongest man.  The best solution to flinching that I've found is to leave one or two holes empty in the cylinder when loading.  Spin it so you don't know where the empty is and shoot them out.  If a flinch has started it will show with the empty, and embarass the shooter, even if he's shooting by himself.  He will self correct the flinch very quickly.

Don't mess with 2400 powder.  It was best in it's day, but makes the loudest blast of any heavy load powder there is and burns out barrel throats very rapidly with stout loads.  Use H110 or 296 for heavy loads and barrels will last far longer, with blast considerably less.  Accurate #9 is a good option also with slightly less than full power loads with the 296/H110 powders.

If you get the WFN  LBT bullet which I recommended above, don't bother shooting them faster than 1300 fps, as they will kill most game almost instantly at that velocity.  More speed means more pain and less accuracy, which equals poor bullet placement.

The best teacher of handgun shooting is an extremely accurate revolver.  Like 1/2 inch at 50 yards.  LBT bullets will do it from almost any revolver if the gun is set up per my recommendations and bullets fitted properly.  When the bullets print exactly where the sights were pointed when the hammer fell, one quickly learns what he is doing wrong if shots go awry, and corrects it without anyone telling him how.

Attached Files

ubetcha posted this 08 June 2008

shooting a revolver with a couple of empty holes in the cylinders is how I was taught to shot a handgun by my brother.He learned that from the county when he was a deputy.That method has helped me in all my shooting whether it's rifle ,shotgun or handgun to concentrate on the sight picture not on the trigger pull or recoil.

Attached Files

hedgehorn posted this 01 January 2009

I have a ruger new model blackhawk in 41 mag I use the Saeco 413 mold with good results with 15 grains of 2400. I think the lack of gas checked molds is due to the lack of popularity and the limited availability of the checks.

Attached Files

Neffy posted this 01 January 2009

I've recently been shooting lyman 410459 in my ruger new model 41mag. works real well with 2400 also, and I haven't burnt out anything but the center of my targets.

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 01 January 2009

I'm using 6 gns W231 behind a Lyman 410459 cast form WW. A good GP load. Seems a mild load but velocity is a bout 850fps.

Same bullet from linotype pushed by 21 gns H110 took down a 210 lb hog and serves as my back-up for bears in Colorado.

Attached Files

Neffy posted this 03 January 2009

I have some 410459 cast in linotype I've been saving till I decide what to do with them. I have some H110, I think I'll try that, no hogs in PA though.

Attached Files

diego posted this 14 January 2009

NEI told me of a person making 41 gas checks  [email protected] <[email protected]>

Attached Files

Veral Smith posted this 14 January 2009

Go to the website listed above and look for any caliber checks you are interested in.  They are Gator checks, and of very high quality, with same specs as hornady, if hornady has the particular caliber, and pleasing prices will get your undivided attention.   A one man owner business so far as I know, but small, and what it takes to solidify america.  You'll be glad you did business with them.

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 16 January 2009

Am now using a mould made by Veral that is 4-cavity, approx. 240-grain. Hornady 416 gas checks work just fine. I have quite a few moulds going up to 325-grains. My experience has been that the Lyman #410610 215-grain gc mould just won't shoot for me (tried it in 4 guns, lots of powder combinations). “Best” powders have been H-4227, WW 6680, AA #9 and most recently VV N-110 works well with Veral's mould in my FA silhouette revolver. The plain base RCBS-210 KT with 7.0 grains of Bullseye is a nice “plinkin” load in a Mod. 57. The Saeco #415 is also a good mould. NEI had a 275-grain mould that I've used to take a few Wyoming Mule deer with an 8 3/8” S&W Mod. 57.

FWIW

Regards,

Tom

Attached Files

AMMOe posted this 17 January 2009

Last year I traveled to town with a young friend of mine who was intent on getting his first CF handgun. We walked into a pawn shop and there, tucked in amongst the fantasy knives and cameras, was a 6” S&W Model 57 in super shape. He got the gun, dies and a holster for $325. He's just coming around to the idea of casting. I think I'll send him in Veral's direction. I agree, the .41 Mag is a true sleeper.~AMMOe

Attached Files

Qc Pistolero posted this 28 April 2018

I think I'll send him in Veral's direction. I agree, the .41 Mag is a true sleeper.~AMMOe

Almost 10 years after this has been written,it is still true;not kicking but still alive and a darn good caliber!

Attached Files

GP Idaho posted this 28 April 2018

I sure wish I could walk into a pawn shop and find a model 57 for $325.  My Blackhawk shoots well enough that I have no complaint. I admit to being a fan of the Noe moulds and my favorite is the 411-251-WFN. One of the guys at Boolits posted pictures of a Grizzly taken from a tree stand (AK)  using that bullet and a stout load of H-110. That's a task I'm pretty sure I'll never attempt.  That said, I don't have anything against the 210gr. bullets and they are to the 41 mag what the 158gr.  are to the 357, they just fit. I have both a Lee 210 SWC and a Saeco Keith 210 and both are keepers. Gp

Attached Files

Close