Marlin First and Second Model 444s

• 268K Views
  • Last Post 30 January 2017
6pt-sika posted this 11 July 2008

Over the last year or so I have kinda gotten intrested in the early model Marlin's . And I just recently added a First Model that was manufactured in 1965 the first year of production . Starting at the bottom is my new to me First Model circa 1965 . It is in great shape metal wise , but someone in their great wisdom saw fit to refinish it with some ultra reddish stain . It also has a Charles Daly scope that needs to go SOON . Anyway the scope thats there will be okay for working loads . Then I can replace before hunting season . Afterwards I can address the stock issue. Next up is another First Model of 1968 vintage . This one also has a recent addition old Weaver K2.5 . Above that is my First Model “Square Lever” . This one is circa 1971 which was the last year of manufacture for the First Model and as far as I know the only year of manufacture for the square lever rifles ! And finally on top is my Second Model circa 1971 . This one was made in the first year of production for the Second Model and also has a recent addition old Weaver K2.5. I have a couple more old Weavers on the way and hopefully I can get them working on the other two rifles before hunting season. It is my intention to set up the 1965 model with the Ranch Dog 265 grain bullet , to set up the 1968 rifle with the Ranch Dog 285 grainer , to set up the First Model square lever with the Ranch Dog 300 grainer and to usa a group buy bullet mould I got from castboolits of 434-330 in the Second Model ! Last season I had all but the gun from 1965 and again had each rifle set up with a different bullet . But am sorry to say never got far enough along to use these to take any deer . Hopefully this year will be different .>

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
6pt-sika posted this 15 August 2008

Since taking the picture in the above post I have removed that uhm Charles Daly scope from my vintage 1965 rifle and replaced it with a Weaver K2.5 . Also mounted a Weaver K2.5 on top of my 1971 vintage First Model .

A week or so ago I took all four to the rifle range to sight them in for upcoming season .

And as I mentioned above I have the 1965 model sighted in with the Ranch Dog 432-265 . The vintage 1968 model sighted in with the Ranch Dog 432-285 . The circa 1971 First Model is sighted in now with the Ranch Dog 432-300 and finally my Second Model is sighted in with Boomer Mikey's 434-330 bullet !

I certainly do not know if I'll be able to feild test them all this season but you can bet I ahve them ready to do so .>

Attached Files

BruceV posted this 15 August 2008

Beautiful rifles!  Personally I'd try a Lyman aperture type rear sight and a nice white ivory front sight.  Up close in the woods it's a great setup.  I'll be curious as to what are your results with your rifles and loads.  Sincerely.  Bruce.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 17 August 2008

BruceV wrote: Beautiful rifles!  Personally I'd try a Lyman aperture type rear sight and a nice white ivory front sight.  Up close in the woods it's a great setup.  I'll be curious as to what are your results with your rifles and loads.  Sincerely.  Bruce.

Actually I have quite a few other Marlin's already set up with tang and or peep sights !

About all my hunting these days is done from tree stands . So I thought these old Weavers would be fine to scope these old guys and not cost me an arm and two legs like new Leupold's !

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 19 August 2008

Here's another I've been messing with for the upcoming hunting season. It's a Marlin “New Model 1895” , this configuration was made from 1972 until 1979 . Mine was made in 1978 and had a micro groove barrel . It has an older Weaver K2.5 on top and is sighted in with the Ranch Dog 460-350GC bullet. 

Also shot the Ranch Dog 460-425GC with the same scope settings and am happy to say I can shoot either bullet inside 100 yards as is . 

Attached Files

BruceV posted this 19 August 2008

Excellent looking rifle!  I have a Weaver K-3 on my Remington 700 LH.  Up to about 200 yds. it is all I really need.  I think you will be real happy with that K-2.5 on your Marlin.

I have only owned a few lever action rifles.  Your rifles are beautiful.  I am not familiar with the different models of Marlin rifles that have been produced.  You obviously are.  I will look forward to your further postings.

Sincerely,

Bruce

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 05 September 2008

It may be a tad bit early yet . But I am in negotiations for a pair of 444 Marlin's :shock:

One is a First Model circa 1966 and the other is a Second Model circa 1973 .

We shall see what comes of this in the next couple days ! I don't want to push the issue to hard !

And then if I get either or both of them I'll need to scrape up a couple K3's .>

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 08 September 2008

Yep I was a tad bit early because the deal fell thru on both the rifles I was trying to get :(

Attached Files

CB posted this 08 September 2008

6pt,

I am loading 45-70 for deer in WV for this coming season. Lead bullets, Lyman #2 alloy, no GC and using 14 grains of Unique. This is a 350gr flat based bullet.

I am also loading up some 30-30 bullets with RD 30 caliber bullet mold with  Gator Checks, SR 4759 powder, trying to get 1,400 fps

My Marlin 444 is a new one, so I am still exploring the loads for it. I am using the Ranch Dog 265 gr and the 300 grain mold to produce  bullets in it.

Jerry

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 09 September 2008

miestro_jerry wrote: 6pt,

I am loading 45-70 for deer in WV for this coming season. Lead bullets, Lyman #2 alloy, no GC and using 14 grains of Unique. This is a 350gr flat based bullet.

I am also loading up some 30-30 bullets with RD 30 caliber bullet mold with  Gator Checks, SR 4759 powder, trying to get 1,400 fps

My Marlin 444 is a new one, so I am still exploring the loads for it. I am using the Ranch Dog 265 gr and the 300 grain mold to produce  bullets in it.

Jerry

Check out the Big Bore Forum on marlinowners !

Reflex264 has a thread about what will be used this year to hunt with !

I put a list of what I have ready for the upcoming season !

I think there's about 14 rifles I have ready with variouse cast bullets about 9 or 10 more with jacketed bullets and a shotgun with sligs and a Savage muzzle loader .

If I blood all the ones that I haven't blooded yet I will end up with about 18-20 deer this year !

Attached Files

CB posted this 09 September 2008

6pt,

I am a regular on the Marlin Forum, I have dealt with RD molds for a bit, actually do like Michaels instructs say to do and they work really well for me.

My line up for this coming hunting season is getting big, I own land in Ohio and West Virginia. Plus I got a Kentucky Elk permit this year.

So everything from my 870 with slugs to my Grey Hawk 50 cal front stuffer, to all of my Marlins, my 300 RUM, all have things intended for them. Then it's the Handgun Hunting season, my Contenders in 357 Max and 44 Mag, then my 586 with heavy cast bullets, 214gr.

Plus the best hunting is in my backyard. I am still working on a load for the 444 Marlin, I have both of the current RD Molds.

Jerry

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 01 October 2008

Okay here's the 1970 vintage Marlin 444 that I got about a week ago !  I mounted a Weaver K3 60B scope on it in Weaver extension rings !  And here's a semi decent pic of the medallion in the stock commemorating Marlin's 100 year anniversary !  I plan on using the Lyman 429640HP bullet in this rifle ! This is a mould thats still in production !

The 429640HP is on the right in both pics ! Also notice the size of the hollow point in the second picture !   Hopefully I can get this one out tommorrow ! Test a couple loads and sight in with the one I anticipate using !

Attached Files

Here's the 1966 vintage First Model Marlin 444 that I finally got today ! The postal service took 6 DAYS to get a PRIORITY letter from Washington DC to Dallas Fort Worth . Seems to me that should have been about 3 days tops ! Then the guy I got it from was 5 days slow turning it loose after he got my postal money order ! Then UPS ground took another 7 days to get it here ! But enough of my complaining ! Here's the rifle !  I mounted a old Weaver K4 in Weaver extension rings on it while I was waiting for my call back in the gun shop ! Hopefully I will be able to fire this one as well tomorrow !  I have a castboolits group buy mould coming for a 434-207GC bullet . This is the second group buy for this mould . Anyway someone was nice enough to send me 125 of these to work up a load and sight the rifle in for the season !  The 434-207GC is the bullet in the left ! The guy who sent them made them 50/50 WW's and Lino so they are a little harder then my norm as I usually cast straight WW's ! But I think they should be fine for Virginia or MAryland whitetails .

Attached Files

I've had a couple more new moulds come to me recently !

I purchased a nice used 2 cavity Lyman 429640 solid nose mould off ebay . And Ranch Dog sent me a test mould for the 323-170GC bullet for use in 32 Specials and 32-40's . Also had a new to me 2 cavity Lyman 257325 for my 25-36 MArlin 1893 ! Already had a single 257325 ad I gotta say I already like this 2 cavity alot more !

Anyway I wanted some of the 429640's for trial in the two new 444's and of course I wanted to try the RD 323-170 as well !

So i cast a bunch yesterday !

Also have another mould coming for my ever growing family of 444 Marlin's . Called NEI last week and ordered a 5 cavity mould . Two of the cavitys are for the #263B which is a 310 grain GC design with a wide meplate . The other three cavity's will be for the #266 which is a 330 grain FN GC design that I am told either Larry Kelly or J.D. Jones came up with a few years ago for use in 44 and 444 Conetenders . Hopefully that mould and the 2 top punchs will be in my hands in the next 7-10 days ! And I can try a few of each of those bullets !

Just might have to scratch up a couple more old 444 marlin's .>

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 03 October 2008

Went to the range the last 2 days !   The 1966 First Model with a Weaver K4 . Group with the 434-207GC bullet fired in the 1966 rifle ! Loaded with 38 grains of XMP5744 and CCI200 primer !   Also tried the solid nose Lyman 429640 in the same rifle loaded with 34 grains XMP5744 and the CCI200 primer.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 03 October 2008

And my 1970 First Model 444 at the range !  Here's what it did with the Lyman 429640-HP bullet !  And here's what it did with the Lyman 429640 solid nose bullet.   

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 05 October 2008

Well it seems a deal has been made for another “Second Model” 444 . This one was made in 1975 . They only made the Second Model from 1971 to 1975 . SO I have a first and last year now !

This rifle I think will get introduced to the Lyman 429640 solid nose bullet . Matter of fact I already have about 18 rounds waiting on the rifle with that bullet right now !

Also have a nice old Weaver K4 , Weaver Extension rings and a Weaver 63B sitting on my desk ready to put on when I recieve the rifle !

Hopefully this one will make it to me quicker then the 1966 First Model I just got ! That one took almost three weeks !

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 07 October 2008

According to UPS my 1974 second model should be here tomorrow ! Thats pretty cool ! Pay for it monday and it gets here Wednesday ! I gotta say I like dealers that will let you pay over the phone with CC or DC and then accept a faxed FFL ! That eliminates a good bit of the hold up right there !  I loaded up 20 rounds of the Lyman 429640 solid nose with 34 grains of XMP5744 and the CCI200 primer . While I wait for the calling to be done tomorrow at the gunshop I'll mount an older Weaver K4 and boresight !   And if possible I will take it straight to the range and shoot a couple targets ! Then if memory serves and I bring along the digi cam I'll post a couple pics of the latest in a long line of Marlin's that I don't really need  Gonna take the 1966 and 1970 first models along as well ! Just because I like shooting them !   And of course I need to do some more work with my Savage 10ML . I got some “Precision Rifle's” Dead Center 200 grain all lead saboted bullets for use in the ML ! Gonna do the early ML season in Maryland friday and haven't decided whether to use the Hornady 250SST or this Dead Center 200 grain .

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 08 October 2008

Santa Clause in the “Big Green Truck” brought my 1975 Second Model to my dealers this morning around 11. I was there shortly after with my Weaver K4 ready to do the call in and mount the scope ! The rifle was not in the greatest shape when I opened the box . Quite a few scratches in the wood , some light surface rust on the barrel and lever and a dirty bore ! But I figured nothing that couldn't be fixed once I had it home ! But first a trip to the range. Once I got to the range and had all my junk setup I scrubbed the bore really well . Then shot a three shot group with the only load I brought to try in this rifle . The Lyman 429640 solid nose with 34 grains of XMP-5744 and the CCI-200 primer. In the picture below the target to the right was the first 3 shots from the rifle after I scrubbed the barrel ! fine !

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 09 October 2008

Once I got home I took the 1975 Second Model straight to the shop for some cosmetic work !

Got the fine steel wool and Hoppes to clean up the surface rust ! Then Hoppes and a rag to clean the wood !

After drying well with rags and blow dryer I applied the Bowling Alley Wax to the stock and forend again using teh dryer to speed up the process ! After about 3 coats of wax I was satisfied !

Took the 1975 Model upstairs and decided to take pics with the 2 latest First Models I had purchased !

Top rifle the 1975 Second Model with Weaver K4 .

Middle rifle the 1970 First Model with a Weaver K3 .

Bottom rifle the 1966 First Model with a Wevaer K4 .

Attached Files

BruceV posted this 09 October 2008

I continue to enjoy reading your post regarding your ongoing experience with the various Marlin rifles you own.  Thank you for the information and pictures.  Sincerely.  Bruce.

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close