Cost of Driving to a Match

• 7.5K Views
  • Last Post 15 July 2012
Paul Pollard posted this 16 July 2008

On July 12 for the Washtenaw match, I decided to take it easy on the gas pedal. My wife got me a little hand held map reader/gps which shows the expected time of arrival. Using that and setting the cruise control, I was able to see what my arrival time would be. I set the cruise at an indicated 65 on the speedometer and the gps said it was 61 mph. Turned off the air conditioner since it was nice out. The travel time said 3.5 hours and it would get me there at 8:30 am (just in time for the gate to open).

Filled the tank with diesel (it's a Golf Turbo Diesel). Filled up on the return. The calculated mpg was 52. It used 1/2 tank; usually going 65 to 75 it would use 5/8 tank. Probably saved 2 gallons of fuel and about 9 dollars. By getting on the turnpike one exit later and exiting one sooner, it saved another $2.00 in tolls.

Driving to the match is still the most expensive thing. The ammo is about $12, the entry fee is $15 and the transportation with fees is about $46. Shooting with good friends...Priceless!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 17 July 2008

Paul, The cost of fuel is really putting a crimp on a lot of my extracurricular activities. I figure with the 400 mile round trip to Windhill along with match fees and the usual extras it's easily a 120 dollar day not counting the cost of powder and such. I'd have to get out and push my van over half way to get your 52 mpg you lucky dog.

Attached Files

CB posted this 17 July 2008

I get a bout 31 mpg with my Honda van when on long trips. The price of fuel is eating me up for everything. And food has gone up.

So I am staying home almost all of the time these days.

Jerry

Attached Files

Paul Pollard posted this 17 July 2008

Pat, I didn't realize it was that far to Wind Hill for you. That's what it is for me to Michigan. I've been driving the same basic car (not the same one) since 1980, so it still hurts as the price goes up. Bought it when gas was threatening to hit $2 per gallon (never did for several years).

Maybe next month I'll try 55 mph on the cruise and it should get 55 mpg. I did it when it was new and got that. I'm just stubborn enough to do it again. Might even stop at McDonald's and skim off their french fry oil.

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 17 July 2008

Good skills.  Those European diesels run on the smell of an oily rag.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

BruceV posted this 17 July 2008

My wife has kindly consented to let me drive her Toyota Yugo to the match this Saturday.  Total distance is about 270 round trip.  Since she usually gets 45 MPG I figure it'll take me about $30 in gas, plus what I spend at the Waffle House for breakfast, etc.  I think I'll try to see just how carefully I can drive her car and maybe do a little bit better on the mileage.  Once when I took it to visit a church member in the hospital (49 mile round trip) I was able to average 56 MPG, but I don't know if I can do that well for a long road trip.

Attached Files

BruceV posted this 19 July 2008

After gassing up my wife's Toyota Yaris I headed for the vintage military rifle match at the Marion Road Gun Club in Macon, GA.  Traveling at normal highway speed on I-75 and I-16 and then along secondary roads I drove a total of 262 miles round trip.  I used a total of 5.8 gallons of gas at $4.04/gallon.  I averaged 45.17 MPG for the trip.  I do not remember precisely what I paid for gas but it was a little over $24.  My breakfast cost $2.88.  I gave the waitress $5.00 to cover the cost of my breakfast ($2.88) and the tip.  I paid $2.00 for my match fee.  Sincerely.  Bruce.

Attached Files

AzShooter posted this 03 November 2008

I started driving at 60 MPH when the speed limit is 65. I keep in  the right lane on the highway and there are a group of us there.  I can really see the difference in my milage.  I was getting 22 - 23 mpg with my Toyota Rav 4 when I would drive to the matches at 75 mph.

Now I'm getting 26 - 27 mpg.  I'd call that a big improvement.  And I never have to worry about the radar cameras all across the Valley here in Phoenix. 

They tell you up front that you get ticketed at 11 mph over the speed limit so people naturally do 10 over.  That's inviting you to speed.

:fire

Attached Files

r1kk1 posted this 10 July 2012

I know this is an old post. We have a 2012 F350 and my wife and I do the travel nursing gig. Our old truck got 11-13.5 mpg towing a 40 ft toy hauler at 60 mph. I'm hoping the new one will do better. Empty, the best we got was 24. It will average in the low 20s without the trailer and taking it easy. Both trucks are dually 4x4s.

No hurry here.

Diesel costs too much to buzz around keeping up with the jones'.

Take care

r1kk1

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 10 July 2012

You might be surprised at how often this type of subject gets discussed at local matches. It is either the cost of gas or a match fee increase. Probably just human nature to resist. But after hearing these ‘debates” over the years, here is a devil's advocate outlook, as gleaned from the comments of others who were heard exchanging perspectives.

Look in the parking lot, see how many newer pick-ups and cars are there (not ever are all of them new). Look up and down the firing line. Some of the (silhouette) Unlimited pistols with all of their expensive aftermarket accessories, scopes, stock, triggers and associated gun-smithing costs or the Freedom Arms revolvers or the (CBA) Heavy/Unrestricted rifles, all custom made. And then the ammunition components, dies and equipment back home, etc. If a shooter can afford all of those “toys” how could he possibly, in good faith, object to the costs to get to or participate in a match?

Of course not all match participants have those deep pockets. But too often it seems as if the “best off” do the most “observing” about the cost to play the game. But it's just probably human nature and really doesn't rise to a level to be taken seriously”¦or does it?

Remember”¦the above is a compilation of overheard comments by someone who has been at many of these events.

Tom

Attached Files

r1kk1 posted this 10 July 2012

I hear you. I've noticed the population on the shooting lanes is getting older too. No sponsors for most if not all shooters, fixed income for older competitive shooters, and last but not least the working class shooters who balance their hobby with home life.

Hard road.

The most expensive sport I've have ever done is shooting clays. You really have to shoot a lot of rounds a year to stay competitive. That can take a serious toll on family expenses.

You mentioned fees on the increase. There are, as you know, countless untold, unpaid people behind the scene to make the shoot happen. I don't think some people really realize this. I don't mind volunteering my time in addition to the entry fee, in some shooting sports it is pretty much required to work the pits.

take care for now,

r1kk1

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 11 July 2012

Excellent observation! Without a Match Director there is no match. More of us need to pitch in at the match and not sit and expect the club or the MD to wait on us...and even step-up and offer to be the MD for a few seasons. At one time here in MN we had (9) clubs hosting silhouette matches. Now there are (2). Most of the causes for the loss of a club are MD burnout and no one willing to relieve him.

Tom

Attached Files

Michael K posted this 12 July 2012

2 Things, sorry in advance if I come across a bit blunt or too candid.

1. Yes there is cost involved with going to a match. However please keep in mind that without regular support and attendance there will be no match. We have all sunk large sums of cash into this sport, shooting is more fun than looking into the safe remembering about when we used to have a match to go to, So what good does it do to fuss about the cost and sit at home. I lost my full time job 4 years ago, spent 2 years in school and only get 16hrs a week. I budget for the match, it's my outlet. New toys have been all but non existant, but I do what I can to keep my local BPCR match going. Which brings up the 2nd item.

2. When anyone goes to a match, we should all do whatever we can do to help. It is not the match director's match it is our match. Burn him out, or p-- him off, let him feel unappreaciated, or taken for granted and it's all over unless you are willing to take over. If someone can shoot they can help, no job is too small. Many hands make for easy work and a better, more successful match. Fees cover the operating expenses of the match, not someone else's labor. Each of us individually are the labor for a match, our match.

Now if it would only cool down. All the best, Michael.

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 12 July 2012

Michael,

Well stated. Hope more match participants read your comments.

Tom

Attached Files

smokiejoe posted this 13 July 2012

Spend the money and the time and go, When you come down sick and cant make a long trip your sure wished you would of went when the going was good. Thank- you, Joe

Attached Files

CB posted this 13 July 2012

Amen to that Joe!

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 13 July 2012

To play devils advocate here. It's a 400 miles round trip for me to attend the closest match to my house. Add in match fees, something to eat, and if it's a two day match hotel/motel expense and the cost gets pretty hefty. The closest range to my house is a 100 mile round trip with no fees, eats, or overnight stay. Which would you choose?

Attached Files

Michael K posted this 14 July 2012

Hi Pat, Your concerns are very valid and devilish in the least, I myself would think twice about attending a match 200 miles each way on a regualar basis, not exactly local. I do not begrudge anyone's concerns when they need to drive several hours each way for a match.

The jist of my post is regarding going to local matches that are within an hours drive */- a bit. It is amazing how many shooters I have heard fuss about having to drive 30miles to get to a range to plink or compete. But have no issues driving thar far or further to get to Cabela's, Sportsmans Warehouse, Bass Pro Shop, etc. for a couple pounds of powder, a few hundrend primers, and some bullets cuz it wss $15 cheaper than the gun shop they pass to/from work everyday.

It is matter of doing what we can, within our means, when we are able, to keep our local matches alive and healthy.

Attached Files

muley posted this 14 July 2012

To all, When I go to our local match, which is only 90 milels one way, a fellow shooter or more travel together. share expenses and conversation and ideas. much more enjoyable. Jim

Attached Files

linoww posted this 15 July 2012

sounds like you need to move closer to the matches and your shooting range Pat.

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 15 July 2012

The week before MemorialDay, I drove to Nine Mile Falls, 20 some miles from Spokane, WA from Southern Oregon. Map quest said 650 mi one way. It was for a week long shoot. The match fees were $120 and I drove about another 100 mi during the week. Gas averaged about $4.00 a gal then. My gas cost was $418 so, it was a total of $538 to do the shoot just for those two things.

The shame is that it was the last shoot there, I'll miss going again!

Frank

Attached Files

Close