.30 Carbine in 10'' Contender

• Last Post 6 days ago
Richard Pickering posted this 3 weeks ago

I have a good amount of experience with heavy bullets in 32-20; a friend is getting a 10'' barrel in .30 Carbine. We want to use the RCBS 165 Sil and possibly the SAECO 301. What is your experience and powder recommended ?

The intent is IHMSA competition at 50, 100, 150, and 200 meters; issue sights. Thank you. Richard

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 3 weeks ago

Not recommending, as I never used the .30 carbine case, but for my 30/20 Contender 30 years ago I loaded the Lyman 31141 as long as it would chamber and filled the rest of the case with Norma 200. I don't see why it would not work with the carbine case also. That was before Starline, so don't know how it would work with modern brass.  FWIW, Ric

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 3 weeks ago

Richard,

Do you know what the twist is in the TC barrel?  If memory serves they were 1:14", so I'm not sure how well the 165SIL would shoot at handgun velocities.  This is only conjecture, IF it is a slow twist.  With luck it is a 1:10" and you'll get wonderful results, please update us when you can.

I have a Remington 722 rebarrelled to 7.62x25 in ten-inch twist and it shoots well at 100 yds. with Sierra 155MKs loaded over a compressed caseful of RL7 or 4198, about 11 grs.  Might try it at 200 and see what it does...

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John F.
Richard Pickering posted this 3 weeks ago

Thank you, gentlemen. I'm told it is 1 in 10 twist. I know the fellow who owned it. I have a 31141 and have used it in 32-20 but not campaigned it at 200m. My 32-20 TC 10'' handles the 165 Sil. well and the Saeco 311, each with 12gr 1680 or 12gr 4227.  The barrel should be here about 9th or 10th Nov.

My hope is the 165 Sil. can be seated long enough to allow the powder capacity needed. I don't have RL-7 presently. I do have Acc-2015. It may be too slow.  I'll certainly keep you informed. RP

Attached Files

Richard Pickering posted this 2 weeks ago

Ric, I have that but I think a short body bullet as the RCBS 165-Sil will be needed. I don't know what current powder would be a suitable replacement for Norma 200, unless it might be H322 or RL-7. Thanks.

Attached Files

Richard Pickering posted this 2 weeks ago

The barrel is in hand. It appears to be one with 1;10 twist. I'll post a review when we get a chance to shoot it. Thanks for the replies. rp

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 2 weeks ago

Anxiously awaiting your results!

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

gregg454 posted this 1 weeks ago

Some Ideas. If guy could fine Paco Kelly's original article  

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?365-Heavy-Boolits-in-the-30-Carbine-Blackhawk

Attached Files

Richard Pickering posted this 1 weeks ago

Gregg, thanks but the need is for experience with a Thompson Center Contender; not a Ruger Blackhawk.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 6 days ago

Richard, Norma 200 is available at Cabela's here. Not cheap, but less than VV! Ric

Attached Files

gregg454 posted this 6 days ago

I'm sorry Richard . I was thinking that it may give you a starting load with heavy rifle bullets. But I did not give it a thought that a TC would let you probably load the bullet out more not being limited buy a cylinder. .        

Attached Files

Close