.30 Carbine Load Recommendations?

• 8.4K Views
  • Last Post 26 April 2017
Tom-in-Pittsburgh posted this 12 April 2017

Guys,

Looking for some good .30 Carbine loads that will cycle the action in an old M1 carbine.

The FS Index shows an entry on page 103-20, but my digital copy of that issue doesn't have 20 pages in it.

TIA,

Tom 

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
giorgio the slim one posted this 26 April 2017

Lyman cast bullet Handbook,third edition ,at page 175 lists 30M1 carbine loads  with   #311410  

130  gr bullet  and Unique powder   from  4,9 grains , 1250 fps at  23.400 CUP   to a maximum of  6.1 grains  , 1468 fps ,  at 35.oooCUP .  The recoil , lower than with GI ammo , is present , and  his absence should cause the shooter to stop . and inquire .

Using different , but similar  fastness  powders at  a range of  over 5 grains should be safe .  Paying attention to the actual exit of the bullet  from the gun is  prudent advice  and I like to follow it .Shooting a new round in an  obstructed barrel is a nasty thing , it can cost money or worse .   Already done it in my youth . 

Attached Files

Larry Gibson posted this 19 April 2017

A word of caution with light loads using fast burning powders.  The bullet can stop moving, sticking in the barrel, between the gas port and the muzzle.  With some load powders there can be enough pressure to function the action as the bullet passes the gas port but that uses up the pressure and the bullet stops......in the barrel.  I have been there and done that with Unique and 118 gr cast bullets.  When the action functions it picks up the next cartridge, loads it and you are ready to fire another round with the previous bullet stuck in the barrel.....not good!

Be carefull.

LMG

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 19 April 2017

hi georgio .,.. i am guessing that with the shotgun powders you are just into the ” auto-loading  ” area of pressure ... i am shooting some 5 gr of 20-year-old unique /  31108 hp  i assembled for guests to shoot ... and it doesn't quite push the bolt back enough .. oh well, still fun , and am almost through the box full .  note to me::  next time try the darn loads before using up all the bullets .

ken

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 18 April 2017

Giorgio,

I don't think you are doing anything wrong.  Although, someone will contradict me (of this I am certain) .  If there are no pressure signs, and the empties are ejecting normally ( not being thrown into the next county) and accuracy is good I wouldn't worry about it.  You could always check the velocity with a chronograph, their being a 1:1 correlation between velocity and pressure, If it is within a reasonable range what the heh!  If it works don't fix it.  Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

giorgio the slim one posted this 18 April 2017

As an Italian shooter , I have to make do with what powders we find here .

I used both GC Lee bullets and  V110 expensive powder. obtaining  rounds comparable to  GI issue ammo  I   am now having  functioning and cycling  loads using the cheaper  shotgun  powders ,in the range of Unique . Around 5 or 6 grains do the trick  , while the luxurious ( magnum revolvers) progressive powders need a dozen of grains .Am I doing something wrong?   Is my cheap approach  harmful?

The fired primers appear normal., the exection is not  violent .

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 17 April 2017

Yes Jeff, only hits count. The rest is just noise.

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 16 April 2017

"I then proceed to make clay pigeons dance on the 300 yard berm and ask if they can do that with their usual M4 wanna be's........most of them can't hit the head on their zombie targets at 50 yards let alone 100 yards and they think 300 yards is for mortars and artillery strikes........The accuracy of the M1 Carbine has them amazed yet befuddled because they read somewhere......"

Well said Larry.  My girls have shown up a few adult 'shooters' at the range with their Savage Rascal. 

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
RicinYakima posted this 16 April 2017

I too was sucked into the 311410 by the gun writers of the day. My experience was very similar to yours. The only positive point is that long nose is so skinny that if it will fit in the magazine it will feed and cycle.

Attached Files

Larry Gibson posted this 16 April 2017

1st mould I got in '68 for my M1 Carbine was the 311410 because everyone said that was “THE” cast bullet for the M1 Carbine.  Over the next 10 years I loaded it every which way from Sunday with several different powders and never could get it to shoot any better than the worst shooting milsurp.  There was quite a bit of sporterizing and accurizing of M1 Carbines back then.  My M1 Carbine would hold 2” groups of 15 shots (mag full) at 100 yards with 100 - 110 jacketed bullets.  The 311410 sucked over 12 gr of Hercules 2400 which ran 6+ moa.  Best load was 12.5 gr of H4227 which would run 4 - 5 moa.  Many thought that was ok but I knew the velocity wasn't up to par and accuracy sure wasn't.  I then was gifted some 311359s cast of WWs and was told to load them over 13.5 gr H110.  I did that and the 1st 15 shots went into less than 2 1/2” at 100 yards.  I sold the 311410 and ordered a 311359 and was ever after a happy camper......

In the early '70s when I got my 1st Oehler chronograph I still had some of those 311410s so I duplicated the old 2400 and 4227 loads.  The 2400 load was just over 1500 fps and the H4227 load was just under 1600 fps.  Anything over that and accuracy was really pretty bad.  The 13.5 gr load of H110 under the 311359 runs just over 1870 fps and when zeroed at 150 yards its trajectory is regulated to the sight range settings.  Accuracy is superior also.  Many times at the range when the unknowing who think the gun rag and internet gossip about M1 Carbines being “inaccurate” often mention that when they see my M1 Carbines.  I then proceed to make clay pigeons dance on the 300 yard berm and ask if they can do that with their usual M4 wanna be's........most of them can't hit the head on their zombie targets at 50 yards let alone 100 yards and they think 300 yards is for mortars and artillery strikes........The accuracy of the M1 Carbine has them amazed yet befuddled because they read somewhere......

I came across a 311359U that drops its COWW + 2% tin alloyed bullets right at .3105.  Since I size the bullets .309 for reliable chambering with all makes of brass  in numerous carbines I use that mould now.  The older original dropped them at .312.  Not really any difference.  I've also used the equivalent RCBs and Lee moulds with equal success over H110. 

The 311410 performs well enough for some in the M1 carbines and that is fine.  However, if you want the best accuracy and performance at 30 Carbine level velocities then a GC'd cast bullet is needed.

LMG

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
Eutectic posted this 15 April 2017

Back in the 60’s Bill Schoeflers scout troop got to graduate from the 22 bolt rifle to a REAL GUN with the right size for boys 30 carbine just made for fast shooting plinking fun. Part of the deal was you had to help make the ammunition. Bill had two 4 cavity molds Lyman 311359 - 120 grain gascheck and 311410 -130 grain plain base. We loaded both bullets with the same powder measure setting -12 grains of 2400.

I don’t remember any difference in accuracy, both bullets functioned just fine and perforated tin cans by the dozen. The dirty part of the deal was you had to recover the brass for reloading, which the little carbine seemed to delight in throwing everywhere.

You should check the load, current 2400 might be a bit different. Bill liked the lighter gascheck bullet because it was “faster. I would go for the plain base bullet as I could see no advantage and current gas checks are expensive, a troop of scouts can use a lot of ammo.

Steve Hurst    

Attached Files

Tom-in-Pittsburgh posted this 15 April 2017

Thanks, Guys -- this is what I was looking for.

Much appreciated!

Tom

Attached Files

Larry Gibson posted this 13 April 2017

I've been shooting reloads through many M1/M2 30 Carbines since '67.  in the past I've used 2400, 4227 and several other powders before, in the '70s, settling on the powder designed and made for the 30 Carbine; H110.  Since that time I have shot thousand of cast and jacketed loads through a lot of M1/M2 Carbines.  My all around cast bullet load is the 311359,

Loads I use over H110 are;

311359 - 13.5 gr - 1885 fps

311316 - 13.5 gr - 1850 fps

313631 - 14 gr - 1950 fps

Rem/Speer/Horn 110 FMJ/RNSP - 15 gr- 1930 fps

Hornady 100 gr HJ - 15.5 gr - 1950 fps

Hornady 85 gr HPXTP - 16.5 - 2130 fps

LMG

Attached Files

GP Idaho posted this 12 April 2017

Tom;  I use the Lee C309-120-R or the Lee C309-113-F, same basic bullet one round nosed, one flat. My favorite powders under these would be first VV-N110 followed by IMR 4227 and H-110. Fun little beverage can rollers the M1 carbines. Gp

Attached Files

Close