Groundhog Shoot - Expanded Caliber list SPRING 2017 - Obsolete*****

• 1.9K Views
  • Last Post 05 March 2019
Scearcy posted this 15 March 2017

Are you interested in a fun shoot with plain base bullets in your old favorite “Closet Queen"

This is Ken Campbell's idea (have you noticed he is an instigator) and I think it is a good idea. The Bunny match idea is a good one but our old 3006 rifles will be too heavy to make the weight limit.  No problem. Lets do our own event.  The rules would be pretty much like the Bunny match rules. Plain base bullet in fixed ammunition. Field positions including walking staff, cane, hand held shooting sticks, shooting sling but no bench rest or mechanical rests ala F Class. To start with we are thinking 4X scopes or iron sights. If we get enough entries, we can worry about separating the scopes from the irons later. We can use either Bunny targets or Ground Hog targets. I am leaning toward Ground Hogs just to avoid confusion with the Bunny postal matches. We can decide this later if their are enough people committed to participate. I don't see any need for a weight limit.  If you want to shoot your Garand, have at it.

I will collect the targets and publish the results in TFS.  If the participants would like, I will also distribute the results quickly via email.  It would be very interesting to collect rifle, bullet and load information just like the regular CBA matches. This info could be a very useful source. 

I am sure there are other details but I would like to not reinvent the wheel here. The Bunny matches are a good framework. This is envisioned as an opportunity to dig out your old Pre-64 Model 70 or that Springfield 03 in the  closet. If you have multiple 3006s I don't foresee a problem with multiple entries.

Who would like to play? If we have enough interest, we will figure out how to sign up.

Jim (and Ken)

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
45 2.1 posted this 15 March 2017

I would prefer you using “30 caliber rifles". There are a lot of 30-30, 30 Carbine, 308, 7.62mm, 303 British, 300 Savage, 7.5x55 Swiss, 7.5 French, 7.62 Russian, 7.62x39 etc. rifles out there being used like this.

Attached Files

gnoahhh posted this 15 March 2017

You dam betcha. Prefer '06 as described, but I wouldn't grouse about additions. Distance?

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 15 March 2017

50 yards

Haven't ruled out the other 30s for sure. 45 2.1 do you want to shoot one of the calibers you mentioned above?

Jim

Attached Files

45 2.1 posted this 16 March 2017

I prefer the 308 more than the '06 myself. I hunt small game and vermin with most of the year.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 18 March 2017

We are going to need some more shooters to make this fly.

Jim

Attached Files

shake posted this 18 March 2017

Sounds good to me. I'm in.

Attached Files

Millelacs posted this 20 March 2017

Sounds like fun

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 21 March 2017

OK let's open it up! We probably need 12-15 shooters expressing interest to allow for normal attrition. We'll give it another week and see if we can find 6-8 more more shooters.

I am going to be an optimist and order some groundhog targets today. I'll post one when I get them.

Attached Files

loophole posted this 21 March 2017

I'm new here.  Is this a postal match?  I have a pre-64 mod 70 just looking for an excuse to shoot.

loophole

Attached Files

David Reiss posted this 21 March 2017

Yes, it will be an informal postal match, coordinated by Jim Scearcy & Ken Campbell. 

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 21 March 2017

Welcome loophole. David is correct. Your Model 70 is perfect. we are going to wait a week to see if we can get about a dozen possibles. Its only March yet so I am sure we are a couple of months at least away from collecting targets so there is not much of a hurry yet.

Jim Scearcy

Attached Files

loophole posted this 21 March 2017

count me in.

Loophole

Attached Files

SouthDakota4440 posted this 22 March 2017

This is a rather interesting challenge here.  Please count me in as one of the additional shooters....I have an 30-06 just waiting to group class slugs.  Thanks.

Marc

mm

Attached Files

Pepe Ray posted this 22 March 2017

Count me in as well. Since you're willing to chance my existance, why not?  It will be a while before the snow leaves my range.

Pepe Ray

Only in His name.

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 22 March 2017

Add me to the list.  I have several candidates to shoot in this.

One question:  Is a Williams receiver peep sight considered legal for these matches?

Attached Files

SamIam posted this 22 March 2017

Count me in. I've just started shooting plain based in my '03A3

Sam

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 22 March 2017

Bohica793

Receiver sights are fine. We are going to lump scopes and iron sights together unless we get several of each who actually send in targets. Then we'll separate into two groups. 

Jim

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch

We have 11 “possibles” so this is looking promising. Later today I'll start restating some of the rules - and we are not going to be heavy on the rules.  In general we are going to use the bunny match rules.

THE KEY DIFFERENCES FROM THE BUNNY RULES ARE: WE WILL HAVE NO WEIGHT LIMIT, WE ARE NOT SHOOTING HANDGUNS AND WE ARE USING THE NRA GROUNDHOG TARGET.

Jim

Attached Files

SierraHunter posted this 22 March 2017

Are sythetic stocks allowed? I would like to use my blackout.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • jeff houck

SH

Yes synthetic stocks are allowed.

ALSO A REMINDER FOR EVERYONE: PLAIN BASE BULLETS ONLY; 4X LIMIT ON THE SCOPE - variables can simply be turned down.

SH I am going to try my PB bullet with a little Bullseye in my 300 BLK although I am going to shoot a 3006 in this event.

Jim

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Show More Posts
Close