Groundhog Shoot - Expanded Caliber list SPRING 2017 - Obsolete*****

• 1.9K Views
  • Last Post 05 March 2019
Scearcy posted this 15 March 2017

Are you interested in a fun shoot with plain base bullets in your old favorite “Closet Queen"

This is Ken Campbell's idea (have you noticed he is an instigator) and I think it is a good idea. The Bunny match idea is a good one but our old 3006 rifles will be too heavy to make the weight limit.  No problem. Lets do our own event.  The rules would be pretty much like the Bunny match rules. Plain base bullet in fixed ammunition. Field positions including walking staff, cane, hand held shooting sticks, shooting sling but no bench rest or mechanical rests ala F Class. To start with we are thinking 4X scopes or iron sights. If we get enough entries, we can worry about separating the scopes from the irons later. We can use either Bunny targets or Ground Hog targets. I am leaning toward Ground Hogs just to avoid confusion with the Bunny postal matches. We can decide this later if their are enough people committed to participate. I don't see any need for a weight limit.  If you want to shoot your Garand, have at it.

I will collect the targets and publish the results in TFS.  If the participants would like, I will also distribute the results quickly via email.  It would be very interesting to collect rifle, bullet and load information just like the regular CBA matches. This info could be a very useful source. 

I am sure there are other details but I would like to not reinvent the wheel here. The Bunny matches are a good framework. This is envisioned as an opportunity to dig out your old Pre-64 Model 70 or that Springfield 03 in the  closet. If you have multiple 3006s I don't foresee a problem with multiple entries.

Who would like to play? If we have enough interest, we will figure out how to sign up.

Jim (and Ken)

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
45 2.1 posted this 15 March 2017

I would prefer you using “30 caliber rifles". There are a lot of 30-30, 30 Carbine, 308, 7.62mm, 303 British, 300 Savage, 7.5x55 Swiss, 7.5 French, 7.62 Russian, 7.62x39 etc. rifles out there being used like this.

Attached Files

gnoahhh posted this 15 March 2017

You dam betcha. Prefer '06 as described, but I wouldn't grouse about additions. Distance?

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 15 March 2017

50 yards

Haven't ruled out the other 30s for sure. 45 2.1 do you want to shoot one of the calibers you mentioned above?

Jim

Attached Files

45 2.1 posted this 16 March 2017

I prefer the 308 more than the '06 myself. I hunt small game and vermin with most of the year.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 18 March 2017

We are going to need some more shooters to make this fly.

Jim

Attached Files

shake posted this 18 March 2017

Sounds good to me. I'm in.

Attached Files

Millelacs posted this 20 March 2017

Sounds like fun

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 21 March 2017

OK let's open it up! We probably need 12-15 shooters expressing interest to allow for normal attrition. We'll give it another week and see if we can find 6-8 more more shooters.

I am going to be an optimist and order some groundhog targets today. I'll post one when I get them.

Attached Files

loophole posted this 21 March 2017

I'm new here.  Is this a postal match?  I have a pre-64 mod 70 just looking for an excuse to shoot.

loophole

Attached Files

David Reiss posted this 21 March 2017

Yes, it will be an informal postal match, coordinated by Jim Scearcy & Ken Campbell. 

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 21 March 2017

Welcome loophole. David is correct. Your Model 70 is perfect. we are going to wait a week to see if we can get about a dozen possibles. Its only March yet so I am sure we are a couple of months at least away from collecting targets so there is not much of a hurry yet.

Jim Scearcy

Attached Files

loophole posted this 21 March 2017

count me in.

Loophole

Attached Files

SouthDakota4440 posted this 22 March 2017

This is a rather interesting challenge here.  Please count me in as one of the additional shooters....I have an 30-06 just waiting to group class slugs.  Thanks.

Marc

mm

Attached Files

Pepe Ray posted this 22 March 2017

Count me in as well. Since you're willing to chance my existance, why not?  It will be a while before the snow leaves my range.

Pepe Ray

Only in His name.

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 22 March 2017

Add me to the list.  I have several candidates to shoot in this.

One question:  Is a Williams receiver peep sight considered legal for these matches?

Attached Files

SamIam posted this 22 March 2017

Count me in. I've just started shooting plain based in my '03A3

Sam

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 22 March 2017

Bohica793

Receiver sights are fine. We are going to lump scopes and iron sights together unless we get several of each who actually send in targets. Then we'll separate into two groups. 

Jim

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch

We have 11 “possibles” so this is looking promising. Later today I'll start restating some of the rules - and we are not going to be heavy on the rules.  In general we are going to use the bunny match rules.

THE KEY DIFFERENCES FROM THE BUNNY RULES ARE: WE WILL HAVE NO WEIGHT LIMIT, WE ARE NOT SHOOTING HANDGUNS AND WE ARE USING THE NRA GROUNDHOG TARGET.

Jim

Attached Files

SierraHunter posted this 22 March 2017

Are sythetic stocks allowed? I would like to use my blackout.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • jeff houck

SH

Yes synthetic stocks are allowed.

ALSO A REMINDER FOR EVERYONE: PLAIN BASE BULLETS ONLY; 4X LIMIT ON THE SCOPE - variables can simply be turned down.

SH I am going to try my PB bullet with a little Bullseye in my 300 BLK although I am going to shoot a 3006 in this event.

Jim

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
SierraHunter posted this 22 March 2017

I'll probably break out the 311466 and pop off a few. I haven't had the time to work on the project much with the move, but I'll try to get a target in.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 23 March 2017

Count me in, I have a 30/06 Newton with only iron sights I haven't shot in years. And I have an Accurate plain based clone of the Lyman 311440. Seems to be OK.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 23 March 2017

Perfect - just what we were hoping for.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 24 March 2017

Here is the target we are planning to use. I placed a 243 cartridge on it to give an indication of size.

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 24 March 2017

I love it.  I would like to play too if I can get my 06 up and running.

Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Duke M posted this 26 March 2017

Okay, I'll give it a try. 

Duke

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 26 March 2017

I could be tempted. 

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 27 March 2017

Good Monday Morning

I am on my third cup of coffee and ready to go which is a relative term these days. We have 16 potential shooters including Ken and I which is excellent. Lets get this party started. Here are some of the big parameters:

At the end of this post I will give my email address. Send me an email and I will email you a sign up sheet .  

Return the signup sheet to me with 5$ and I will send you an equipment sheet, a rules sheet and 3 targets.  One of the targets will be returned to me for record

It is fine if you want to shoot two or more rifles. Just send me $10 and I will send two packets, etc.

It is usually best to get things rolling before our short attention spans move on to something else. Please try to get your emails to me soon enough so that I can get the targets to you by the last week in April.

The target due date for submitting your targets and equipment sheets is May 31

I will distribute the results by mail as well as putting something in TFS.

If I don't need the full $5 for expenses, I will return the excess (in $1 increments) with the results

Jim Scearcy

Attached Files

Here is my email:

[email protected]

Jim

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 27 March 2017

May I shoot a gc bullet without the gc? If not I'll just have to shoot my old trapdoor. Ross

Attached Files

Ross

A GC bullet w/o the GC is perfectly fine.

Jim

Attached Files

David Reiss posted this 27 March 2017

Jim,

I've got a Mossage rifle, it is ok too? 

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

David

Am I correct that a Mossage rifle has something to do with massages? If so we would need to know how to score your results.

Jim

Attached Files

David Reiss posted this 27 March 2017

Jim,

I saw that you were allowing Remchesters and know that my Mossage is considered to be a second class rifle, but I thought I would ask. I knew better than to ask about my J.C. Marlestern and know that Stevings were banned years ago. 

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 27 March 2017

I would like to be included in the postal match argie1891  joe Gifford   [email protected]

if you think you have it figured out then you just dont understand

Attached Files

shake posted this 27 March 2017

Shake: EMAIL address   [email protected]

Attached Files

You got me with that one, David

Attached Files

Stan and Joe

Got you on the list.

Jim

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 30 March 2017

I have sent signup sheets to 11 shooters. It should be safe to assume we are a definite go! If possible would everyone get the signup sheets back to me by April 15 (traditionally a black day in my household). This would help keep us on schedule to collect the finished targets by the end of May.

Thanks

Jim

Attached Files

Duke M posted this 31 March 2017

Sign up sheet out in the mail box. If there is any left over money don't bother sending me a refund. Apply it to the Jim Scearcy primer fund.

Duke

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 04 April 2017

I have attached a target with the scoring zones marked. The 9 and 10 rings are preprinted on the target. The 5/7 line is 1” below the bottom of the 9 ring.

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 05 April 2017

Mr. Scearcy: I'm still figgern out this site, count me in . Ross at [email protected]

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 05 April 2017

Ross

I will email you at [email protected] . If in doubt email me [email protected].

I started mailing targets yesterday. It looks like we are going to have a nice turnout.

Jim

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 05 April 2017

Ross I couldn't get an email to go through. Please email me at [email protected]

JIm

Attached Files

longhunter posted this 07 April 2017

Yes I would like to shoot this.  How do I sign up.

Jon welda

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 08 April 2017

Received targets today.  Thanks!

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 27 April 2017

All: I did it, at least the first half. Shot my 30-06 at the groundhog today. I want you'alll to know that I have last place all locked up and it's useless for any of you to try and do worse. I did scare that overgrown rat though. Next I'm gonna try my 375 schuetzen rifle just for kicks. I had enough trouble getting up and down from a sitting position once for 10 shots from the '06 but it will be murder on my arthritis to do it 10 times for the muzzleloading schuetzen. I want to thank all for the opportunity to shoot, that's what it's about right, the opportunity.  Ross

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 27 April 2017

Not so fast, Ross.  I still haven't found a load for my 7.62x54R that puts all 10 shots on paper, much less on the rodent so I will be giving you a run for that last place prize.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 27 April 2017

thanks guys ... looks like we will be members of a growing club ... i am * trying * the shoot with store-bot bullets that came with noses and tails way too small for my 30 cal ... i actually sent off to brownells and ordered a bulk pack of brass brushes and 4x steel wool ...

if big groups teach us ... i figure i will be really smart by the time i get through the box of skinny 500 .... hmmm . wonder if they would work in my 7mm ??

ken

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 28 April 2017

Well Ken, if you want to melt those down I'll send you the rest of 250 gr. They were actually a little too big for the throat in my rifle. PS. I use brass or copper chore boys to scrub out my mistakes. Supposedly they are a little more gentle on the barrel. Just wrap some around a PLASTIC brush.   The plastic brushes will clean up and be reusable as opposed to the brass brushes that I atleast can trash in one use.   Fun ain't it!   Ross

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 28 April 2017

ross ... thanks for the offer ... but i am determined to either figure out how to keep these squirters on the target ... or go down in a shower of smoke and sparks .  and maybe lead slivers .

yeah, if you use copper solvent on copper brushes they can disappear real fast ...     i have used oiled 4x steel wool for ever, and have seen no ill effects .  i have heard brass chore boy is great tho .

ken

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 01 May 2017

Hi Guys

Its May 1 and targets are due no later than 30 days from now. The earliest targets are just beginning to trickle in.  It is snowing here in MN today. I don't think I will try to shoot my targets until it gets up to 60 degrees. Whimpy I know!

Jim

Attached Files

longhunter posted this 01 May 2017

1st of May and snowing here also.

By weeks end we are to be up in the 70's.  I hope!

Ammo is loaded now to the range.

Thanks Jim for putting this fun shoot on.

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

GWarden posted this 02 May 2017

This target is being shot at 100yds, is that correct?

Bob

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 02 May 2017

50 yards!

Attached Files

Duke M posted this 03 May 2017

Jim, if GWarden wants to shoot his at 100, who are we to stop him?

Duke

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 03 May 2017

Duke, Excellent point.  How about if we restate the rule to AT LEAST 50 yds?

Jim

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Duke M
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 03 May 2017

...hmmm . i have seen some of gwarden's targets .... i suggest a special * gwarden * rule ...  i am thinking 200 yards offhand ....

ken

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 05 May 2017

Mailed targets back today.  While the 38-55 target is acceptable, the T53 is definitely in the hunt for dead last place.......

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 06 May 2017

I went to the range yesterday to work on my "inventory" of potential field positions. The best advice I can give you is to not bet any money on cementing last place before my targets are in.

Jim

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 11 May 2017

We have 7 targets back in. There are 3 weeks left to get your targets in. No perfect 100s yet! Actually the scoring is quite close on most targets

Jim

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 10 February 2018

Here is one of the original threads from last year's Groundhog shoot. You will see that the rules were few. We had a great turnout.

If you look under plinkers hollow you will find the results and tech info from last year. They are useful to get the juices flowing.

Jim

Attached Files

4060may posted this 10 February 2018

Jim

Sent an email

hope this is a go for 2018

Chuck

Attached Files

longhunter posted this 11 February 2018

Jim

You have to make this match happen.  It was to much fun.

Looking forward to the posting of the match!

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 11 February 2018

We are going to make this happen but probably April-May time frame.  It is not too soon to round up a mold and pick an alloy, though.

Jim

Attached Files

Maven posted this 13 February 2018

I'm in as well, Jim!

Attached Files

Millelacs posted this 14 February 2018

I'm in.

Attached Files

tlkeizer posted this 15 February 2018

Greetings,

Count me in for at least two groundhogs (never know when relatives might show up to eat ya'no).

TK

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 15 February 2018

Count Ross in and I plan to shoot at least 3 guns

Attached Files

GWarden posted this 15 February 2018

Count me in for the 2018 ground hog shoot.

Bob

Iowa

Attached Files

SouthDakota4440 posted this 16 February 2018

Jim,

Please count me in.....two rifles to enter.  Much fun last year with this event...learned a few things in using gas check cast bullets w/o the gas checks!

Many Thanks

mm

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 16 February 2018

I'm warning yall, with all the nolege i learnt in the last year i fuly expct to tak over last place.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • TRKakaCatWhisperer
longhunter posted this 16 February 2018

Jim,

I'm in for two hogs,shooting two guns.

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 19 February 2018

Hi all,

Been busy taking in spring training and enjoying the warm weather. I just wanted to acknowledge that I am not dead and will pick up the ball when I get home in two weeks. Thank you to everyone. Ken and I intend to proceed VERY much like last year so there should be no suprises.

Jim

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 26 February 2019

i'm interested if my health holds out.

mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 26 February 2019

Mashburn

Ken and I have been focused on finishing the 200 yard coyote shoot. However if there is interest we are planning to hold a 50 yard shoot this spring and probably an 100 yard shoot in the late summer.

We will start a new thread in a few weeks when we are nearly finished with the coyotes.

One thing the 50 yard event is plain base bullet only so include that in your planning.

Jim

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 27 February 2019

I know nothing about this I'm new to cast bullets but it sounds like great fun. How about making it all 30 calibers. My old 30- 40 Model 95 Winchester needs to get out for some exercise. I might even get about four new members to sign up to get in this. How do I get the rules-distance and such..

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 27 February 2019

Mashburn

Your 30-40 is certainly a "legal gun". I will dig out a copy of the rules. There are very few rules where the equipment is concerned. Don't hold me to this until I find last years stuff but we limited the power of the scope (this is a 50 yard match) and limited the bullets to plain base. I think that was about it. As one competitor said : bring your rifle and lets go shoot. We do limit the shooting positions to field positions. That is defined on the signup sheet. It is quite liberal also.

We don't care who wins. The idea is to shoot and have a good time. You can see by this thread that there is a fair amount of good natured banter and pictures are encouraged. We want this to be like shooting with friends in your back yard.

PM your email address to me an I will send you a copy of last years rules and such. THESE ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE EACH YEAR IF A LITTLE TWEAKING IS NEEDED. For example we are discussing possibly using a slightly more challenging target for the 50 yard shoot.

Jim

Attached Files

Rick OShay posted this 27 February 2019

Gentleman,

Will you be starting a new thread for the ground hog shoot? I still have not the chance to shoot my coyotes yet. Went from heavy snow to wind rain and now mud. I am hoping to get out this week end weather pending. Or I may have to call in sick on a decent day to go shoot a couple.

So I am hoping I have better luck with the ground hog.

Thanks

Dan

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 27 February 2019

Dan 

Yes there will be a new thread dedicated to just the spring 2019 ground hog shoot. We will do the signups and review rules, etc in that thread. 

Last year we started the spring thread about mid March I would expect similar this year.

Jim

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 01 March 2019

Sounds like a whole bunch of fun. I think it will be a good place for a crippled up 74 year old to begin his first cast bullet competition. I can hardly wait. If you don't hit the paper are you required to send your targets in. Just kidding.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 01 March 2019

Sigh! It is going to snow again tomorrow. February was the 4th snowiest month since 1874 here. -17 F next Saturday night. It is good that I am thinking of coyotes and groundhogs or I might lose my grip on reality.  

Cabin fever has me thinking I need 3-4 new rifles.

I wonder if I can put little snow shoes on my cross sticks

Last night I sketched plans for a target frame mounted on a toboggan - seriously. There is no way to find the pipes in the ground at the 200 yard line.

I think I will keep my ammo in a shirt pocket so the lube doesn't freeze - just like camera batteries I guess.

Great news though - coyote pelts are worth $100 this winter. It seems fir trim is back in style on the yuppies winter coats. I wonder if a large picture of a coyote with about 13 holes in it will have much value.

We never talked about it in the rules but is it legal to shovel a trench in the snow if I am going to shoot from prone?

We actually used to pull plastic toboggans and use them for rests for long shots. That may be just the ticket for the current conditions.

These are some of my deep thoughts as I sip Jamison and watch old reruns of "Mr Ed the talking horse".

Jim (aka crazed on the tundra)

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 01 March 2019

new snow record here in iowa for brrrrrrrr-u-ary ...

i am thinking about a reduced coyote target across my shop with a pellet rifle  ....   or how about a target of a rat ?? 

.... and yet it was 32 degrees today in anchorage ...  

ken

Attached Files

rhbrink posted this 01 March 2019

Scearcy, the "FROZEN" tundra! Farther south of you but not much better and another 6 inches of global warming on the way!

Ken, now we are talking a pellet rifle "rat" target out about 25 yards or a really big rat at 50?

RB

Attached Files

I think you and Ken have had more snow than us. I know longhunter has in the Lacrosse area.

There is a pregnant does eating at the bird feeders. If she leaves the trail, her stomach drags in the snow.

It can't last much longer.

Coffee fueling this post instead of Jamison.

Jim

Attached Files

Bill2728 posted this 01 March 2019

I would be willing to trade a few inches of mud, sloppy ground and flooding for some frozen tundra!  Our wettest Feb on record. Wolf Creek dam on Lake Cumberland in south central Kentucky was releasing water @  45,000 cfs.  Too wet to shoot so I spent the weekend repairing, cleaning and storing my molds and realized that I don't have a plain base 30 cal. mould.  I've never done a postal shoot before and this one just sounds like too much fun to miss so I now have one ordered.

Bill

Attached Files

Bill

We fished on one of the finger lakes many years ago. It was in the spring with high water. Whenever we got too near to the shore, displaced water moccasins would try to get in the boat. They looked like a minature loch ness monster as they swam toward the boat. Finally the guide called it off and we fished out by one of the dams. I still think about that day once in a while. Yeah I guess snow and ice aren't so bad.

Jim

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 01 March 2019

I guess I got in late but I have read the whole thread and it is not clear but it sounds like this is a 30-06 only match.  If true,why?? 

I understand the 45-90 was a great groundhog caliber. 

John

Attached Files

John

Originally it was conceived as a 3006 match and I don't even remember why. The very first reply we received said that was a bad idea so we quickly moved on to any rifle (or handgun), any caliber, any sight but with a 4X limit on the scopes and PB bullets. In retrospect I am not sure why we ended up with a limit on the power of the scope  as more magnification provides no real advantage from field positions at 50 yards.

We started out, at least I did, that this was a match and we should have some uniformity. It was immediately apparent that the potential shooters wanted simply to shoot their favorite rifles and that they only competition was with ones self. That is the way the subsequent 3 shoots (we don't even use the word match most of the time) have continued.

At 100 yards and beyond we do not limit the bullets to plain bases either so the two longer shoots are any bullet also.

Ken C did I miss anything?

Jim

Attached Files

John

Can I pencil you in for 3 entries then?

223, 45-90 and .600 Nitro (20 gauge)?

Jim

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 02 March 2019

Jim,

Thanks for the detailed answer.

Two will do.  223 and 30 Carbine.

John

Attached Files

jeff houck posted this 02 March 2019

I'll join in too as soon as Idaho thaws. When are the targets due? Please send me what ever sign up materials and rules there are. I'll buy a packet of targets as soon as you say I'm in.

Jeff H.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 02 March 2019

Jeff and others

Ken and I would like to complete the coyote shoot before we open up the spring groundhog shoot. The last coyote targets are due April 1 so I am trying to not start the official spring groundhog signup until after that date. This thread is a two year old thread with some misinformation as is evidenced by all of the questions. We will start a new thread labelled "2019 Spring Groundhog Shoot".  When you see that thread, we are ready to go. I think last year the targets were due about JUNE 1. We will supply targets unless you wish to purchase an entire packet for your own use but a whole packet of targets is quite pricey. We also are still considering a target change for the spring shoot so don't buy targets yet.

Patience everyone - we will get started by the last week in March.

I thank everyone for your interest  but our crack administrative staff consists of two old guys who sometimes forget their own names. We can't keep up with two shoots simultaneously.

Jim

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 05 March 2019

why was it originally for 30-06 only ?? .. well, it occurred to the staff that although the 30-06 is " america's cartridge " ....  nobody was actually shooting them anymore ...

kinda like kneeling at the nat anthem at the football game ...  just ain't right ...

and after a couple salty tears drained from our eyes, it was brought to our attention that heck, there are a whole bunch of cartridges and rifles ..... that aren't maybe up to full boogie, buck$$-on-the-table  competition .... but for some reason ain't never gonna leave the back of our closets or gun fortresses ....  nostalgic, fun to look at, first deer ... etc. ...   maybe even too rusty for anybody to bid on ...  but still go bang pretty good ...

so we changed the welcome list to " bring it and shoot it " ... except for 22 rimfire, which mostly is because it rarely uses cast bullets ...

as they say " so far so good  " ... 

in keeping with the fun side of this, i confess that i shot my 50 yard groundhogs in my front yard ... into a stump that i piled a little brush around to make it look like a ground hog den ...  while i am confessing, ... my wife beat me with one of my own favorite rifles ...

ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Redleged
Close