.303 British Accuracy?

• Last Post 11 June 2018
.22-10-45 posted this 09 June 2018

Wondering what kind of 100 yd. groups could be expected from a 7-71/2 lb. sporing rifle..not military, using the normal accuracy inducing procedures..proper bullet fit to throat/bore,prepped brass?  Thanks!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 09 June 2018

IMHO, the same as any other .30 caliber with that build quality.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 09 June 2018

The two-piece stock and rear locking made the Lee Enfield prone to string vertically unless the chamber is dry and free of oil.

Keeping the loads at Krag levels and drying the chamber with acetone will produce rounder groups. 

Correct bedding is an aid also.  Jeff from NZ has the info on that and I believe it is posted in the archives here somewhere.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

max503 posted this 09 June 2018

I remember getting surprising accuracy out of my dad's smle using rounds I'd loaded with a Lee Loader kit and jacketed bullets.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • David R.
JeffinNZ posted this 10 June 2018

This is a 5 shot group at 100m/110 yards from my No4 Mk2.  Now it remains in full military dress but a well tuned sporter could do similar. 

I wrote this a few years ago.  Still applies.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Reese posted this 10 June 2018

Jeff, what bullet is that in the picture?

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 11 June 2018

Bullet is a CBE 313 215.  Very much a 314299 clone.  Load is 13.8gr 2400 for just shy of 1400fps.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

lotech posted this 11 June 2018

I used to have two such rifles, late ones from the early '50s ( I think) in like new condition. Best loads would do around 3"-4" at 100 yards with the issue aperture sight using the Lyman #314299 sized to either .313" or .314" (don't recall which). I sold both rifles years ago as I never did develop a liking for them. I did not do a lot of load development, but in all fairness, they would shoot cast bullets reasonably well. 

As I recall, I used an alloy approximating Lyman #2 and some loads were around 1800 fps. If I had the opportunity to work with such guns today, I would try a softer alloy and maybe a slightly lower muzzle velocity using powders like H4895, Reloder 7, and 5744. 

Attached Files

Close