32-20 rolling block

• Last Post 16 February 2018
loophole posted this 13 February 2018

I am restoring a Remington no. 1-1/2 rifle--32 rimfire converted to 32 WCF.  Various writers list loads for the 32 WCF much more powerful than the black powder level loads of the original cartridge, but warn that these are not safe in weak actions such as '73 Winchesters, old pistols. etc.

The rolling block design should be a good deal stronger than a '73 or an antique pistol,  as it was chambered in much more powerful rounds even in the black powder era.  However, it may be that even in the big, heavy rolling block action heavier loads are not safe.

Any thoughts?

Steve K

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • David R.
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
loophole posted this 16 February 2018

I don't have a lust for high velocity from my roller.  I just bought 500 starline nickle cases and I am loading 19 gr of Fffg over 1.5 gr 4759 with a 115 gr cast bullet to shoot in it.  All my high velocity rounds are loaded in brass cases.  If these shoot ok this could become my bunny gun.

The most accurate load I have used in my Browning 53 is Accurate 2015, with 2200 a close second.

Steve K

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 13 February 2018

Your 1 1/2 is not going to "blow-up" with any reasonable load with the 32/20 case. However, remember that everything is soft iron with just a couple of thousandths of case hardening. Excess pressure makes the metal move and the case hardening flake off. As will rust and abrasion from fouling. Pins are make-able, block and hammers expensive but obtainable. If you oblong the holes in the frame, you are looking at a lot of money to repair. If you just have to have speed, consider 4227 or 4198 as powder choices.  FWIW, Ric

Attached Files

Close