.444 Marlin

• 1.1K Views
  • Last Post 23 February 2018
Pigslayer posted this 14 February 2018

I have a Handi in .444 Marlin. I really haven't shot it much. I have a 300 gr RFNGC that I purchased from Mountain Molds several years ago. It's a pretty good shooter at 50 yds. Haven't fired it at any greater distance. But have found that the trajectory arch is extremely high at 50 yds versus 25 yds. . . . . at least 6" difference! As I remember. Thinking of using a lighter weight bullet. Any suggestions as to weight?

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Coydog posted this 23 February 2018

Pat,

There is normally a big difference between 50 and 25 yards because the bullet is rising to the point of aim. It is also true that if you sight in dead on at 23 yards you will be very close to dead on at 100 yards.

If you have a high mounted scope with the scope center-line more than 1.7" above the bore center-line you get the biggest differences of POI at different ranges.

Generally big bores sighted 1" high at 50 are on at 100 if you have a good low scope mounting.

I suggest you sight in again and try what I do. Sight in with a small 1" bull target at 50 yards and adjust so your POI at 50 yards places the group center 1" above the center of the bull. You should be on at 100 and a little low at 25 while the highest POI is at ~75 yards This is normal for a big bore..and keeps you in the vital out 125 yards just by aiming at the center of the vital broadside.

Also note: the Handi is a very light rifle for the caliber and you may experience recoil having a serious impact on POI, especially from a LeadSled or a low rest if you lean into it. Shoot sitting straight up and not leaning into the rifle and use a high rest so you can sit up straight. I always avoid leaning into a big bore rifle when shooting for this very reason. It is NOT a shotgun at the skeet range.

If you really have a high scope mount that you can see under the scope at the open sights, Lose that nightmare for big bores and get a normal one with  the scope bell no farther than 1/4" from the barrel and remove the rear sight if you need to do that to get the scope close to the barrel with the right scope mount.

Gary

I have read your post and I had a rifle in a Handi rifle made to shoot 327mag. I have not sight it in yet. but for what you stated will help me. thank you

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 15 February 2018

Thanks to all of you. I guess I need to get back out the range with my Handi as it has been a while. Then I can give some really definitive feedback.

-Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

GP Idaho posted this 15 February 2018

Hi Pat: I have a Handi rifle in 444 Marlin that I picked up when Bud's ran a two barrel special on a Handi frame. The other barrel was a 35 Remington. The 444 hasn't seen as much use as the 35 and I've mostly shot bullets meant for revolvers. This does keep the felt recoil down.  The moulds I have on hand are the NOE 429421 SWC 245gr. , the Saeco #61444 RNFP  205gr. and the Lee 430-240 SWC. If you'd like to try any of these or borrow a mould let me know. Also I've been looking at the NOE 434-310-RF (GC) as a possible purchase.  With the Handi's being so easy to clean I think I'll load up a few with black powder and see how that works. I have tried a few painted red as Ken suggests but didn't see any difference in speed from the other colors. And by the way the PID is working out great. Thanks again. Gp

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 15 February 2018

Pat,

There is normally a big difference between 50 and 25 yards because the bullet is rising to the point of aim. It is also true that if you sight in dead on at 23 yards you will be very close to dead on at 100 yards.

If you have a high mounted scope with the scope center-line more than 1.7" above the bore center-line you get the biggest differences of POI at different ranges.

Generally big bores sighted 1" high at 50 are on at 100 if you have a good low scope mounting.

I suggest you sight in again and try what I do. Sight in with a small 1" bull target at 50 yards and adjust so your POI at 50 yards places the group center 1" above the center of the bull. You should be on at 100 and a little low at 25 while the highest POI is at ~75 yards This is normal for a big bore..and keeps you in the vital out 125 yards just by aiming at the center of the vital broadside.

Also note: the Handi is a very light rifle for the caliber and you may experience recoil having a serious impact on POI, especially from a LeadSled or a low rest if you lean into it. Shoot sitting straight up and not leaning into the rifle and use a high rest so you can sit up straight. I always avoid leaning into a big bore rifle when shooting for this very reason. It is NOT a shotgun at the skeet range.

If you really have a high scope mount that you can see under the scope at the open sights, Lose that nightmare for big bores and get a normal one with  the scope bell no farther than 1/4" from the barrel and remove the rear sight if you need to do that to get the scope close to the barrel with the right scope mount.

Gary

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 15 February 2018

color me confused ....   the midrange height at 50 yards is 6 inches ?? ... maybe you need some red powder coat ...

or switch to federal express ... faster delivery ...

( g )

ken

Attached Files

Close