.450 Bushmaster - .451 Bore

• 2.5K Views
  • Last Post 08 January 2019
  • Topic Is Solved
Bud Hyett posted this 07 January 2019

Good friend received a Ruger American in .450 Bushmaster for Christmas. The ballistics approach the black powder .45-90 with a 300 grain bullet and it would be a good choice for elk in the hills and valleys of Western and Central Washington. Owning a dozen or so .45 caliber rifle molds, I told him we were ready to try anything from 300 grains to 540 grains.

Enter the dark cloud, the .450 Bushmaster has a .451 bore, not .458. The heaviest mold .452 diameter mold that I have is a NEI SWC at 270, plain-base. Off to the web to find gascheck mold (RCBS 45-300-SWC), brass and people's experience with reloads.

The mold arrived and cast beautifully after cleanup. Experimented with pot temperature and ended up at 775 degrees, the bullets cast evenly between .452 and  453 diameter, sized .452; the gascheck shanks fit firm when seated and now we need a decent range day to see what the groups are. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 07 January 2019

The inexpensive Lee C452-300-RF is worth a serious try. On sale at Midway $19.79 :

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/658577/lee-2-cavity-bullet-mold-c452-300-rf-45-colt-long-colt-454-casull-452-diameter-300-grain-flat-nose-gas-check

It has a nice large wide flat nose for big game.

Sages outdoors makes aluminum .125" tall gas checks specifically for 450 Bushmaster and they are great:

https://www.sagesoutdoors.com/450-bushmaster-caliber-aluminum-gas-checks/

If you just want to try them, they are;

Sold in 4 quanities: 100 for $4.99, 250 for $9.25, 500 for $16.50 and 1000 for $29.00.

Gary

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
RicinYakima posted this 07 January 2019

Bud, It will kill every elk here. But don't try to shoot it too far, drop becomes an issue. However, if he wants to hunt Mossyrock or the pulp forests, he is in great shape. Ric

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 07 January 2019

Very true, three inches high at one hundred and six inches low at two hundred. It is a specialty gun, good also for alligators in the backyard if you live in Florida. I had not thought of Mossyrock, could be interesting. 

With the bone marrow cancer, my hunting days are over for animals needing heavy recoil rifles for the next several years (prairie dogs and paper). But I get a choice elk steak package in return for my help in loading and sighting in, which means I do not have to go out in the cold. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 07 January 2019

Hang in there Bud! smile

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Brodie posted this 08 January 2019

Bud,

Even better; You don't have to lug the critter out of the woods.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Close