Silhouettes

• 13K Views
  • Last Post 22 May 2012
hunterspistol posted this 10 August 2009

Just for kicks, what does yours' look like?  May just liven the place up some.  Here's a shot of the canyon.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
w30wcf posted this 07 September 2009

hunterspistol,

Nice looking range. Back east we have a lot of trees and a small mountain behind one of the ranges.

Hunters pistol / Cowboy SIlhouette Smallbore and Pistol Cartridge

McKean County Rifle Club    Bradford, PA   Pigs & Turkeys not shown  

Montoursville, PA   

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 11 September 2009

Silhouette ranges back east look a lot more 'civilized', almost makes me feel like a redneck!:shock:

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 29 September 2009

If I did this right there should be (3) photos attached. These are from the rifle/BPCR silhouette range at the NRA Whittington Center near Raton, NM. I was there for the CBA National Tournament 2-weeks ago and spent time messing around on the BPCR range. #106 is the basic range set-up. They have (16) sets of 5-animals each, at 200, 300, 385 and 500-meters and (15) sighter targets on each line.There is a bonus target, a white steel buffalo, at 1,123-yards in about the center of the photo.

Attached Files

runnin lead posted this 29 September 2009

Rifle Sportsmen's Club , Rifle Colorado , 500 M Silhouette  Range

Attached Files

big boar posted this 29 September 2009

What seems to be the problem? They're all still standing, couldn't hit any?(ha ha) Really nice, wish I were there. You're very lucky to have a range like that.

Attached Files

ihmsakiwi posted this 08 May 2012

Not my home club, but two hours away is the Awakeri range. Hot thermal pools nearby to finish off a hard days shooting.

Attached Files

ihmsakiwi posted this 08 May 2012

Not my home club, but two hours away is the Awakeri range. Hot thermal pools nearby to finish off a hard days shooting.

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 20 May 2012

:coffee    It's really great to see silhouettes in New Zealand or Australia.  It's a great shooting match that deserves some attention!

Thank you for the picture, that's wonderful!

Ron

Attached Files

CB posted this 20 May 2012

Wow very nice ranges, all of them, makes me feel like I am shooting in the stone ages at my club. We only have 25,50,75 and 100yd positions for 1 person. Makes me wanna move!

Attached Files

CB posted this 20 May 2012

I think we're down to one range offering handgun silhouette in Nebraska. When I was active in IHMSA, there were at least four, plus one additional range covering NRA silhouette disciplines. I was saddened to see it drop from the face of the earth here.

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 20 May 2012

In the early 80's MN had 8 clubs hosting matches. We are now down to 2. The IHMSA News has shrunk a lot and dues were recently raised to $50. I have opinions what happened but that's a story for another day........

Tom

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 21 May 2012

:coffee      Since most people drive straight up behind the firing line for 40 meter chickens, or 50 meter pigs,  I take up the spot on the west side for 75 meter turkeys.   They're harder with a pistol, vertical target and all and the prevailing winds are there.  It's usually out of the Southwest direction. 

Because I spend time there, and I don't want to crowd anyone out, I set up a smaller range with 40 and 50 meter targets (round cutouts from the factory).  It even makes a good 22lr practice spot.

Attached Files

1kshooter posted this 21 May 2012

I have been doing a little digging and I have found....not one single club offering silhouetts shoting the best I can do is my own gong and set it out at different ranges and listien fro a ring Jonathan

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 21 May 2012

:coffee    You can always shoot silhouettes!    It takes 10 of each animal, four different animals to make the 40 shot match.  If it doesn't topple  over, it counts as a miss. 

http://www.qualitytargets.com/servlet/the-91/IHMSA-Field-Pistol-/Detail>http://www.qualitytargets.com/servlet/the-91/IHMSA-Field-Pistol-/Detail

http://us.ebid.net/for-sale/nra-silhouette-steel-targets-target-scale-pc-30391428.htm?from=bingshop>http://us.ebid.net/for-sale/nra-silhouette-steel-targets-target-scale-pc-30391428.htm?from=bingshop

http://www.riflesilhouette.com/about/targets.html>http://www.riflesilhouette.com/about/targets.html

http://www.qualitytargets.com/servlet/the-Silhouette-Targets/Categories>http://www.qualitytargets.com/servlet/the-Silhouette-Targets/Categories

Down here, the National NRA range is close, within 200 miles.  That just means there are silhouette ranges everywhere, if you go looking for them.  It's also a Southwestern style shooting match that came over from Mexico.

But don't be discouraged, the NRA has drawings you can print out or, you can trace a set of steel silhouettes, that is, if you want to make them yourself.  

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 21 May 2012

Best way to practice and get sight settings (a must for the game)? Use large sheet of cardboard and spray paint the target onto the cardboard. Trace around an example animal and then cut out the animal leaving a “stencil” to use when painting the target onto the cardboard.

Then you can shoot by yourself (no spotter needed) and you can see your MISSES in the cardboard around the animal using a spotting scope. No more hit em, knock em over and walk down and re-set them.

Once set settings are determined, set up a few animals and make sure your load has the “stuff” to knock them over. Some of the clubs using auto-resets will see that not as much horsepower is needed to knock em down.

Don't forget...day one...a 158-grain .357 load was supposed to be enough to topple the ram. But some target stands were not flat, the bases on the feet of the animal might not be flat and you whack it with a stiff .44 load and the ram just laughs back at you!. OK stiffen up the load...ooops...too much recoil, maybe muzzles aren't being controlled..then came the ram topple rule.

But it is a great way to enjoy shooting!

Attached Files

CB posted this 21 May 2012

What is the Ram Topple Rule? I have a problem with out using high power 44 loads for ours.

Attached Files

In “the day' the rear edge of the ram's foot pad was set to be flush with the back surface of the stand. To get shooters to back off on their loads (some full house .308 loads in XP-100's might not always knock the ram over) the rear of the foot pad is set so it overhangs the back face of the stand (I think it is 3/4” overhang). This gives the animal a “head start” to its falling, requiring less horsepower to do the job. This is one reason target setters need to monitored during a match to make sure the overhang is used as targets are reset.

When it is really windy out the rams will blow over when set with the overhang. In those conditions the rams are clamped to the stand or they are set full foot and then hits count and the animal need not be knocked down. But the line officer must announce at the start each 10-round stage that the rams are “clamped or set full foot and hits will count as a knock down".

Clubs with auto resets do not get involved with the overhang thing. IHMSA has come up with a way to adjust and calibrate the the mechanism of the “hinged” animals so they are set equivalent to the forces (bullet impact energy) needed to knock over a topple set ram.

Attached Files

CB posted this 21 May 2012

Ah! I see... Never knew that one. Good info to have. We have guys shooting with a variety of loads and guns from 22 to 45 and we have 2 different types of shoots, one with animals you have to knock down and one where they hang from chains. The thought on the chain one is that alot of the older shooters can hardly make it to the bench let alone walk down range to reset the animals. So we have a shoot geared specifically to them so the dont have to walk and a hit or 'ding' counts as a knock down.

Attached Files

Congrats, Jeff....you guys with your chain-hung targets are shooting SWINGER matches!

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 22 May 2012

:coffee    I discovered that if I pick the rams up out of the dirt and there is dried mud on the bottom of the foot, they don't topple.  I always run my upturned palm across the bottom of the foot when I shoot alone.  That way they fall, to the 22 hornet, the 32-20, etc.  Yes, I set them to flush with the back edge too.

Attached Files

Close