.32 Popguns

• 61K Views
  • Last Post 19 October 2018
Ed Harris posted this 07 December 2006

Anybody else but me play with cast bullets in the .32 ACP, .32 S&W Long and .32 H&R Magnum?  I've already sent two articles in, but it would be fun to see what you guys are using.

I've been having great success with the Meister 94-gr. .312” LFNs with Bullseye powder, from 1.5-1.9 grs. in the .32 ACP, 2.0 to 2.5 grs. in the .32 S&W Long and 3.0 to 4.0 grs. in the .32 H&R Mag. -

Update Jan 31, 2007 - regretably this bullet is no longer listed on the Midway web site - it says out of stock- no backorder. It is still listed by Meister on its web site, but not as an attractive quantity price, which must have been Midway's closeout.  This is an excellent bullet.  I'm glad that I bought a bunch for cheap while they lasted.  I would like to find this mould, but can't find one that looks like it.  Anyone got any clue? 

UPDATE 15Feb07 - The Meister bullet below is a Magma Engineering design:

http://www.magmaengineering.com/bulletmolds.php?bm=32CAL>http://www.magmaengineering.com/bulletmolds.php?bm=32CAL

Part No. 32-96 RNFP FB 

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John F.
  • Gregor
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
william iorg posted this 07 December 2006

Ed,

I have a number of .32 caliber handguns and several rifles. I have been following your articles in the Fouling Shot and Gun Digest with great interest.

In the .32ACP and .32 S&W I have settled on the Lee 77 grain round nose bullet. My wife's Tomcat feeds the bullet reliably and she enjoys plinking with it.

In the heavier frame .32 S&W Long and .32 H&R Magnum I primarily use the Lyman 311008 and the 100 grain NEI No. 81, this is the plain base version of the 115 grain SWC. This good bullet has a short nose and fits most cylinders without OAL problems.

I get good service from the RCBS 98 grain SWC but its nose is just a bit longer and there are some cylinders it has OAL issues with. A friend of mine has the Saeco version of this mold and it is a good SWC bullet in the longer cylinders.

For use in the back yard I had Walt Melander make a single grease groove version of the #79 wadcutter bullet. This looks like the old Lyman .38 caliber button wadcutter with single grease groove and crimp groove. In .32 caliber this is a fun 15-yard target bullet. The advantage is a quiet, accurate ”€œ light bullet for use in my light, roll around backstop.

I have a 24� TC barrel in .32 Magnum with .308� barrel. This rifle has a big throat to accommodate the .313� bullets. Despite this the rifle shoots cast bullets well and it is a very nice walk around varminter. Loaded lightly, this is a nice quiet yard rifle.

I have intended to attempt to duplicate your 1.2-grain Bullseye load with the Saeco 120 grain bullet. You got 450 fps from your 26� barrel if my notes are correct and with 53 fpe this would be a good garden load. I don't yet have a good bullet for this load. My Lyman 311008 bullet has not responded well to this load. I thought I might try Accurate No. 2 to see if it made a difference.

I have read about others in the last few years who were shooting .32 H&R Magnum rifles. There seems to at least be mild interest in this type rifle.

Our latest .32 Magnum is the Marlin cowboy rifle with 20� octagon barrel. This is a quite heavy rifle for its size. We have not been able to shoot the rifle enough to have a clear understanding of its capabilities but the Lyman 311008 seems to shoot as well as any jacketed bullet. This rifle has several tight spots and running a tight patch down the barrel gave the impression of roughness. This barrel tended to lightly lead initially but seems to be smoothing up a little with use. 800X has proven to be the powder of choice with the 115-grain bullet.

Have you experimented with Hodgdon Lil' Gun yet?

Slim

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John F.
  • M3 Mitch
Ed Harris posted this 07 December 2006

Glad to find another .32 shooter.  I haven't tried Lit'l Gun, as I have pretty much standardized on Bullseye for all of my recreational shooting.   It took me 20 years to shoot up or give away all the odds and ends of pistol and shotgun powder I had, accumulated over the years, and I'm not about to start over. I have now simplified and use only two powders, Bullseye and RL-15 for everything.  It involves some compromises, but so far has worked very well.  Sure makes life simple. 8-)

My brother has one of the .32 H&R Magnum Marlins and we've fooled with it a bit.  It likes the 94-gr. Meister .312” LFN with 3.5 to 4 grs. of Bullseye, and also the Saeco #325 with 3.0 to 3.5 grs. of Bullseye.  This is all in Federal cases with Federal 200 primers.

His rifle doesn't feed .32 Longs unless you seat bullets way out.  For this I've been using the 122-gr. Saeco #322 in .32 S&W Long cases, seated out and crimped in the lubricating groove at 1.35” OAL with 3 grs. of Bullseye for 1030 f.p.s.

All of these shoot 2” or better at 50 yards with the buckhorn sights which came on the rifle.  I'm getting Rick one of the Ashley peeps and a new front sight for Xmas and we'll see how well he does with sights that he can see!

Update Sept. 2007 -- I finally had a chance to get my brother's favorite plinker away from him long enough to shoot it with the ghost ring peeps.  At 25 yards indoors it is no trouble to hold under an inch.  Typical groups have four in a nice cluster and I flier opening it to about 3/4".  I just can't seem to keep it together for five shots. But, I figure that if you are over 50 years old and getting an inch at 25 yards with iron sights in a hunting weight rifle, that it is a “good” load.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John F.
billwnr posted this 07 December 2006

I'll be a little less wordy than you two..but I have one of the Ruger SSM's in the .32 H&R.  I bought it about 20 years ago to take along on a prairie dog hunt that never happened.  Not counting rimfires this handgun is the 2nd most accurate revolver I have.

I just got one of the custom 6 cavity Lee moulds from the castboolit board.  No handles for it yet.

Bill W

Attached Files

william iorg posted this 08 December 2006

Ed, you have simplified things quite a bit by settling on two powders. I admit Bullseye has amazing versatility. I load it in the .45-70 for a friend who culls pigs at night from some high-fence farms using a NEI Handi-rifle equipped with a NFA legal sound moderator. The load is quiet but the pigs are pretty smart. My friend had to move back quite a distance from them in order to get more than one shot at a group.

Greg Mushial from GMDR is a believer in small charges of fast powder and his load data has proven to be consistent and accurate in my rifles. I have been wondering about slower powders and heavier bullets for the .32 Magnum rifles. Have you tried any slower powders with heavier bullets in your 26â€? barrel .32 Magnum? I have used case full, compressed charges of IMR 4350 in the .356 Winchester with 200 and 250 grain cast bullets, these have delivered exceptional accuracy and consistent chronograph readings ”€œ despite being quite dirty ”€œ this has caused me to think about a case full of Hodgdon Varget or Reloder 15 for my 24â€? .32 Magnum with 150 grain cast bullets. I have a Lyman 311241 150 grain bullet mould and I thought this might make a good load for dense critters such as porcupine.

Bill, I kick myself every now and then for not buying a SSX to go along with my SSX Bisley. The SSX and SSX Bisley may be the two best .32 Magnum handguns that were offered in the caliber. My wife will argue her 4â€? S&W Kit Gun in .32 Magnum is just as good but to be truthful, The M-631 4â€? will not handle the heavy bullets loads as well as the Rugers, whether SSX or SP-101. The S&W will show a little sticky extraction with 10.0 grains of H-110 and a 100-grain SWC bullet. 9.8 grains is a better load for the S&W. The Ruger Bisley will accept the 10.0-grain load without a whimper and the accuracy seems to improve ”€œ but that is hard for me to prove. How long is your barrel? Ed Harris wrote two god articles on the .32's. I think one was called “The Perfect Kit Gunâ€? and the other was about three SSX's with consecutive serial numbers. He was trying to see in consecutive serial numbers mad a difference in accuracy and overall performance.

What is the custom Lee mould? Is this a new design or an existing bullet put up in a limited run 6-cavity mould?

Slim

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 08 December 2006

I have shot up almost a pound of Li'l Gun in the 32 H&R and in 32/20. Looking back through my field book and chrony data, it is great for delivering high speed, but the group entries are “dismal” and worse. The only revolver load that shot into less than 3 inches at 25 yards from a rest was a 32/20 load in a S&W HE. It was the Lyman 311316 with Lyman gas-checks with a powder charge over Hodgdon's maximum black powder load levels.

And yet my most accurate 357 Mag load is Lyman's 358156, GC'ed, over 18.0 grains of Lil' Gun, that goes 1375 from a 6 inch Colt “Three Fifty Seven” and 1850 from a Martini Cadet actioned 25 inch barreled rifle.

Ric in Yakima (where it hasn't been above freezing since before Thanksgiving, and I'm yearning for Spring!)

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 08 December 2006

william iorg wrote:

What is the custom Lee mould? Is this a new design or an existing bullet put up in a limited run 6-cavity mould?

The members on that other board play around and come up with special orders for bullets not catalogued by Lee (in the 6 cavity mould).  One of the “group buys” was a SWC 98 grain Keith style bullet.

An extra one was offered for sale and I jumped on it.

Attached Files

william iorg posted this 08 December 2006

Ric,

I wonder if a different bullet shape, weight or crimp would make a difference? I have shot a bit of Lil Gun in the .357, .44 Magnum and the .45 Colt with good results. Lil Gun proved very useful when I was looking at the Lyman 457122HP in the Winchester Trapper.

Bill, I have seen the special order forum over there. Although I have posted theere once I dont know very much about the forum.

Slim

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 09 December 2006

I'm going to start a new thread in the “Powder” section for Lil' Gun experiences. Ric

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 11 December 2006

I have not fooled much with slower powders in my .32 S&W Long rifle, because it would defeat the purpose of having common ammo for the walking around rifle and the revolver.  I did try #2400 and 4227 a bit, but while faster, into the 1300 fps range they were very much louder and not as accurate as Bullseye.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John F.
Ralph Smalley posted this 12 December 2006

I think that six-cavity lee mould handles are on sale at midwayusa this month. I got the flier in the mail.

Ralph Smalley

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 12 December 2006

Thanks for the heads up about the handles.  I didn't look at my flyer yet.

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 12 December 2006

yeah... I had problems too and ended up with duplicate posts.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 13 December 2006

I played only a little with slower rifle powders in the .32 H&R Magnum and .32 S&W Long in my rifles. A nominal “caseful” with only slight compression of RL-7 or 4198 worked fairly well with Saeco #322, but no was more accurate than the normal charge of Bullseye.

I wrote the GD piece on the Single Six, chopping the 9-1/2” gun off in increments to 4-5/8", but the article testing two guns with consecutive serial numbers was somebody else.

Attached Files

w30wcf posted this 13 December 2006

Hi Ed, Anybody else but me play with cast bullets in the .32 ACP, .32 S&W Long and .32 H&R Magnum?  

Not to this point,  but I have been having some fun with a .32 Long Colt in an old 1892 Marlin levergun. :D   I have used  the  90 gr Hornady SWC,  and Ideal 311244 and 311245 (.30-40 gallery bullet) with good success.    Since the .32 Colt uses  heeled bullets,  I found that if I  push the bullets base first into a .310/.302 bumping die, I can taper the rear band so that it's a press fit into fired cases.  

My factory duplication load is 2.5 grs. of 231 for 1,000 f.p.s.   If I want to go faster, 8 grs. of H4227E (capacity load) will deliver 1,250 f.p.s. with very good accuracy.  I have used that recipe with either the 311244 or 311245 for some long range plinking.   The tang sight has enough elevation to reach the steel pigs at 327 yards. It won't knock them over but if everything is right,  the distant “thwok” of the 94 gr. w.w. + 2% alloy bullet announces that it has found steel.:D:D 

For a duplication of the early black powder loading, I use some UMC balloon head cases and load 12 grs. by weight of SWISS 3F powder. The bullet of choice here is the 311245 because of it's superior lubricating capacity and I fill the 3 lube grooves with SPG.  I have found that I can fire as many as 30 rounds (most I have shot in a row so far without cleaning) without losing any accuracy.  This is a fuunnn :D load that goes 1,150 f.p.s. 

These .32's sure are neat little rounds! 

Ed, I'm looking forward to your  CBA articles.

John

P.S. Ed you may remember me. I gave you some 250 gr. .30 caliber cast bullets at the 1989 CBA Nationals to try out.

Attached Files

45 2.1 posted this 14 December 2006

william iorg wrote: Bill, I have seen the special order forum over there. Although I have posted theere once I dont know very much about the forum. Its quite simple, someone comes up with an idea for a bullet and i'm the one who usually draws it up. I supply the “Honcho” with a production drawing to LEE also. Prices are running about $59 or $60 for a minimum 25 unit run. The same could be done here also. I see the image is from a URL, perhaps it could be set up for a direct upload from an individuals computer.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 15 December 2006

John Kort wrote:

"These .32's sure are neat little rounds!  Ed, I'm looking forward to your  CBA articles.

P.S. Ed you may remember me. I gave you some 250 gr. .30 caliber cast bullets at the 1989 CBA Nationals to try out."

John,

Yes, I remember. Don't have the .35 Whelen anymore.  Only .35 rifles I have these days are .357s.  Use mostly the NEI #161A in the Marlins and it works very well.

Attached Files

PETE posted this 15 December 2006

Ed, Yep! I use a .32 S&W Long in a Pardini for my any center fire pistol in bullseye shooting and a Ruger .32 H&R Mag. for my carry around in the woods gun. Both more accurate than I am at 50 yds.

PETE

Attached Files

Gary D Owens posted this 19 January 2007

I've had the itch to get something new for awhile and after the usual trying to decide between everything from a 25 cal. NAA Guardian to a 50/90 Shiloh Sharps Long Range Express (thought about a GE MiniGun but figured I'd be dead from lead poisoning long before I had enough bullets cast up to really enjoy the thing) I've decided on a .32 cal. S&W Mdl. 31-1 with a three inch barrel. I love those 3 inch barrels for some reason that Sigmund Freud could probably explain, if he was around. My question is does anyone have any idea what would be a fair price to plunk down on one in good condition?

Ed, I looked on the Meister web site and didn't see the LFN in their catalog unless I missed it somewhere. I have absolutely no intention of casting for this thing if and when I find one so need a source of good relatively cheap lead bullets.

Thanks, Pat Iffland

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 19 January 2007

A Model 31, squared butt 3” in VG+ 85% condition would go for $350 here, a near pristine 95% gun for $400, NIB perfect collectible $450, from the internet auction prices. 

UPDATE Jan 31, 2007 - I just found one come into a local shop with a group of guns from an estate, about an 85% gun in good mechanical condition, but with holster wear, for $325.  Yes, I did put a deposit on it because it would fly out the door while i was thinking about it.  

Model 30 round butt is a bit more desirable and goes about +$50 over the M31 at shows when you can find one.

Midway and Graf both have the 94 Meister .312s on their web sites.  Some people call them a 92-gr. but mine weigh 94.

Attached Files

CB posted this 19 January 2007

Thanks Ed. Checked both Graf and Midway about the LFN, both out of stock with no backorder. Doubt I'll have much problem finding a good substitute anyway but probably should think about finding a gun before worrying about bullets.

Pat

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 25 January 2007

The Midway product listing for these 94-grain Meister .312 LFN bullets now says “Out of Stock - No BackOrder” so maybe they have been discontinued. A shame. I like them alot.

Attached Files

Geo. posted this 01 February 2007

Ed,

I bought two Ruger Single-Sixes in .32 Mag and a Marlin 1894CB in same recently. the Single Sixes will shoot the Speer HBWC just fine, as the bullets are 0.314 and the cylinder throats are 0.312/0/0.313 inches. My granddaughter likes the guns quite well, even if the rifle is a little long in the stock for her. I seat the HBWCs even with the end of the case and use the “method” to load them.

Because the rifle needs something different for reliable feeding, I bought 96 grain RNFP cast bullets from Desperado Cowboy Bullets ( http://www.cowboybullets.com>http://www.cowboybullets.com ) and use them in the 0.313” version. They shoot well over about 2.4 grains of BE, and I use that in all 3 guns without leading trouble. The bullets are soft-cast of 20:1 and have a gooey lube that smells sweet like beeswax. I use others like this for black powder and the lube works well.

By the way, I live about 1& 1/2 hours from Meister Bullets. Meister has stopped trying to keep up with selling bullets as a wholesaler, but is continuing to sell directly to the public.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 03 February 2007

I haven't been around here for some time. I'll have to “correct” that(:>)).

I am a fan of the .32 S&W Long and the .32 H&R Magnum. I have a S&W 4” Model 631, an S&W 16-4 6", a Ruger SP101 4", a TC with an SSK 10” .312” barrel, and a rather new TC Carbine with a 22” SSK Barrel (.312").

I have two of the Cast Boolit forum's Group Buy moulds, one is the .32 100 gr Keith and the other is a .314” 120 gr RF bullet. Both bullets work quite well in the revolvers and TC. I have not yet tried the Keith in the Carbine. The carbine is giving me about 1” groups at 50 yards with 9.5 WC 820 (the old slow lot).This gives a little better than 1500 fps. I have gone up to 1700 fps with decent results in the Carbine but that is heavier than I want to use in the 631. 9.5 grs works well in the revolvers (1100 fps in the 16-4).

Frankly, I mostly shoot the 100 gr Keith (sized at .313") ahead of 2.8 grs of Win 231 in .32 S&W L cases. I have not chronographed that load but expect somewhere around 800-850 fps. When the weather breaks, I'll chrono it and see (I just recently got the Keith mould).

I just LOVE those Lee Six cavity moulds. I can turn out lots of volume of near perfect bullets without being too tiring (compared to a six cavity H&G iron mould, for instance.

I am, no doubt, a bit obsessive over the .32's but am looking to add one more. I would like to own a Ruger Bisley with adjustable sights.

I am getting to be an Old feller and my vision is not what it used to be (if it ever was(:>)) and I have my SP101 at the pistol smith for a red dot.

Yep, I am kind of addicted to scopes and red dots. It pretty much makes up for poor vision.

Dale53

Attached Files

CB posted this 03 February 2007

Ed Harris wrote: Update Jan 31, 2007 - regrettably this bullet is no longer listed on the Midway web site - it says out of stock- no backorder. It seems still to be listed by Meister on its web site, but not at the attractive quantity price, which must have been Midway's closeout.  This is an excellent bullet.  I'm glad that I bought a bunch for cheap while they lasted.  I would like to find this mould, but can't find one that looks like it.  Anyone got any clue? 

Ed,

Oregon Trail Bullet Co. has a 115 gr bullet that looks suspiciously like the one you posted a picture of although a little longer, they're 25 bucks for 500. Besides that I think the RCBS 32 cal 90 gr. cowboy mould seems like it might be a fair replacement.

I just checked my Lyman 311008 and I think another option if you're looking for a comparable design and weight is to turn or mill the Lyman block so that the bottom band about equals the width of the middle one. Shouldn't be bad price wise especially if you could find a used mould. I'll have to take a file to one of my bullets to see how much I'd have to take off to get down to 95 grs. with my alloy just for conversation sake.

Pat

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 05 February 2007

I bought 8000 of the 94-gr. Meisters from Midway and also have Saeco 4-Cavity blocks #322 and #325, so I'm reasonably well fixed.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 05 February 2007

Ed; I have enjoyed your articles over the years and, in fact, have a file of “Ed Harris". You have been extremely helpful to a lot of people (I am also an Ed's Red fan).

One thing I neglected to mention is my use of Hornady HB wadcutters. I have shot several thousand of them ahead of 1.8 grs of Bullseye. I have never chronographed them but have used them, with excellent results on small game from the revolvers. However, when I put these through my TC SSK Carbine (22” barrel) they did NOT shoot well. Kind of disappointed me(:>().

When the weather breaks (it is about 1 degree above zero here, now)I want to work with the carbine some more. I have a scope on the carbine and am hoping for “under 1") at fifty yards. My goal is to get both an 800 fps load and a 1500 fps load that will meet that goal and still shoot well in the revolvers.

Dale53

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John F.
  • M3 Mitch

In my .32 S&W Long rifle I've had good results with the NEI #82 which weighs about 130-grs. in wheelweights. It is a gaschecked bullet with shape similar to Lyman #311316.

Attached Files

Millelacs posted this 05 February 2007

Another .32 popgun thought is to use a Chamber Adapter.

You put the smaller cartridge in the back of the adapter and then load the adapter into the chamber.

I used one in South Africa, some years back.  .32 ACP / 7.65 Browning in a .303 Br #4 MK I.

Accuracy was OK.  No recoil.  NO noise to notice.  While not a recommendation, I could shoot it without any hearing protection and there was no discomfort.

I forget the velocity, but out of the #4 it was the same as out of a pistol.  I was using commercial ammunition with cast lead bullets.  Good fun.

I got several different adapters for friends, including .22 LR -> .222 Rem.  I forget the others.

I got several others to use on leave in the US.  .32 ACP -> .30-06, .308, .30-30.  also 7.65 Tokorev -> .30-06.

If I recall the manufacturer was in Alaska.

Robert

Mosocw, RU

Attached Files

I have the used the chamber adapters made in Alaska by MCA Specialties. These are very popular with trappers and Alaska bush pilots to stash in survival kits. They enable use of common .32 handgun ammunition in .30 caliber hunting rifles, like Marbles or Winchester inserts of made prior to WWII. I was curious as to whether these were easier to pot small game with at 25 yards than using a small pistol or revolver. They are, if you accept that they are for short range. 

I have two MCA adapters for my .30-30 Model 94 Winchester, one is chambered for .32 ACP, and my other is for the .32 H&R Magnum and also works with .32 S&W Long, which is what I mostly use. Velocities from the 20� barrel lever gun are only somewhat greater than firing same ammo from a handgun. Fiocchi 73-gr. FMJ in .32 ACP gave 897 f.p.s., the 94-gr. Meister cast bullet with 2 grains of Bullseye was 1111 f.p.s. I reduced the charge with the cast load to to 1.7 grains drop the velocity to be subsonic.

In the .32 S&W Long insert factory W-W 98-grain LRN ammo was 793 f.p.s., and the 94-grain Meister LFN handloaded with 2.5 grains of Bullseye was 982 f.p.s. Extraction of fired cases was easy, .32 ACP brass fell out on its own when the adapter was extracted and ejected, whereas the .32 Longs pushed out easily with a stick. Iron sight groups using either adapter were 3� at fifty yards with point of impact 6 to 8 inches below a normal zero when sighted in for factory soft points.

On the 94 Winchester or Marlin you must reverse the sight elevator and shove the rear sight up as high as it will go to zero these popgun rounds at 25 yards. The report from either is like a .22 LR. Within 25 yards using these adapters in your deer rifle is much easier to shoot accurately than with a handgun. If you own a .30-30 carbine, .308 or .30-'06 having one of these in your airplane or vehicle survival kit isn't a bad idea to quietly pot small game while saving your big game rounds. A $20 adapter is cheaper than a custom bunny gun!

MCA Sports/Ace Bullet Company 2800 West 33rd Road Anchorage, Alaska 99517-2201 http://www.mcace.com/>http://www.mcace.com/

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Millelacs posted this 05 February 2007

Thanks Ed.  I knew it was up there somewhere, just couldn't locate it.

I and my South African friends were all very happy with them.

Attached Files

My friend in SA told me they also make an insert for 7.62 NATO/.308 Win. which enables you to shoot 7.62x39 ammo. Most 98K Mauser extractors will pull the AK rounds out OK if used as a single-shot. Works best with the IDF 7.62 conversions. If you pin a wooden filler block in the front of the magazine box they will feed from the magazine too if you are “deliberate.” Great way to plink with the inexpensive burp gun ammo.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Millelacs posted this 06 February 2007

A problem in South Africa (at least in the “good old days” probably worse with the new laws) was It was a “go to jail, do not collect $200.00 dollars” to have ammunition for which you did not have a firearms license in that caliber.  IE: even if you have a licence for a .308 but not a 7.62 x 39 and have 7.62 x 39 ammo go to jail.

There was some discussion on the legality of chamber adapters, and their being considered a “barrel” and therefore the licensed part of the firearm.  In ZA it is the barrel that is (was) actually licensed vs the receiver in the US.  A switch barrel rifle was not considered atractive because you had to license two “firearms” (a license for each barrel).

Each system has it's own plus' and minus'.  Silencers and shotguns with nine inch barrels never raised an eye.  Yet pellet rifles were considered “firearms".  Now I understand that the law has been relaxed and .17 cal pellet guns are no longer firearms, while .22 cal guns are still “firearms” and have all the licensing problems (and count as a firearm when determining the maximum number of firearms a person can have) just as a .44 mag or .458 Winchester.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 06 February 2007

I suppose then that is one of those areas where “if you do not want the answer, don't ask the question..."

Attached Files

CB posted this 07 February 2007

Received my Model 31 the other day and if all .32 Cal. revolvers are as cute (don't know if it's normal to describe a gun as cute but can't think of a better term) as this everyone should put one on their list. From what I've been able to glean from the various S&W forums the gun will also digest and extract 32 acp ammunition which is much easier to find if you're looking for factory ammunition in a pinch.

In my opinion being a revolver and not needing to worry about feed issues this little caliber/gun combination would really come into it's own if  loaded with either a LBT WFN or LFN bullet. Planned om going with a commercial caster but not so sure now. For a fun in the basement load I plan on picking up some Hornady round balls and load them over just enough BE to get the ball out the barrel and across the room. I do the same thing with my Makarov and it's surprisingly accurate and quiet enough to not get the neighborhood dogs barking.

Ed, thanks for bringing the 32 cal subject up just at the time I had the hankerin' for something new to play with. Not to expensive to buy, relatively, and real cheap to feed. Just what I was looking for. Hate to even think about changing a gun like this but rechambering for 32 mag sure seems interesting if it's doable.

Pat Iffland

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John F.
  • M3 Mitch
Ed Harris posted this 07 February 2007

Here is some charge establishment data with Bullseye in the .32 S&W Long which might be helpful if the .xls sheet will cut & paste OK. 

.32 Tests Ammunition_ Vel. @ 15 ft. ____S&W .32 HE S&W M31 __4-1/4".010 cyl. gap _4".006"cyl. gap Factory Loads Win. 98 LRN .........661,7Sd .................667,22Sd Magtech 98 WC....690,23Sd................736,30Sd Magtech 98 JHP....not fired..................711,27Sd

Handloads - Winchester cases, WSP Primers Saeco#322 2.0BE...not fired...............700,23Sd(120-gr) Saeco#322 2.5BE...not fired...............797,24Sd Saeco#322 3.0BE...not fired...............not fired Saeco#325 2.0BE...715,21Sd.............736,33Sd (98-gr) Saeco#325 2.6BE...851,20Sd.............894,8Sd Meis.94LFN2.0BE....635,31Sd.............692,16Sd Meis.94LFN2.4BE....760,14Sd.............791,9Sd Meis.94LFN2.7BE....834,35 Sd..............860,31 Sd Meis.94LFN3.0BE....not fired................929,12 Sd

A snippet from a future Fouling Short article 

In fixed sight guns zero is affected more by bullet weight than velocity. Lighter bullets shoot low, and heavier bullets shoot high.  Most fixed sight .32 Long revolvers shoot close to point of aim at practical small game ranges from 50 feet to about 25 yards with 85 to 100 grain bullets.  Heavier 115-120 grain .32-20 slugs shoot about 3â€? high at 25 yards, enable a 6 o'clock hold at fifty yards and shoot “onâ€? to point of aim at 100 yards.

In pre-1957 S&W Hand Ejector I-frame revolvers (easy to ID because they don't have a model number stamped in the yoke cut) don't attempt over 850 f.p.s. with a 98-grain lead bullet.  This is a useful, but modest improvement over factory loads, and has ample penetration for small game.  I prefer the Saeco #325 98-gr. SWC for hunting because it has the largest meplat to best let the air out of bunny wabbits.

For longer range plinking in the post-war Model 31 J-frame I use the heavier 120-gr. Saeco #322 LFN .32-20 bullet.  Do not use this bullet in the older S&W Eye frames because it runs the pressure up and it won't shoot to the sights, anyway. In the Ruger Single Six and modern Colt Cobra, Police Positive and S&W Models 30 and 31 I use 2 grains of Bullseye and seat the bullet out, crimping it in the lubricating groove.  It's 1.35â€? cartridge length protrudes out the front of older Eye frame cylinders, preventing you from doing something stupid.  It gives about 720 f.p.s. from a 4-inch revolver and is nearly silent at 850 f.p.s. from my 26â€? H&R custom rook rifle.   This overall cartridge length, the same as .32 H&R Magnum ammunition, works fine in  the Ruger Single Six and the Marlin 1894 Cowboy, which steadfastly refuses to feed factory .32 Longs.       

Heavier field loads approaching 900 f.p.s. are useable in the stronger S&W Models 30 or 31, postwar Colt D-frames.  A charge of 2.5 grains of Bullseye with the Saeco #325 or 3 grains with the 94 LFN Meister or Hornady 85-gr. XTP provides about 900 f.p.s. and shoots flat to 50 yards or more. These are my standard working field loads in my Ruger Single Six, and S&W Model 31, being just below .32 H&R Magnum levels.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John F.
CB posted this 09 February 2007

Thanks Ed, good information and I'm looking forward to your articles.

Pat

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 15 February 2007

I just got the S&W .32 Hand Ejector back from my gunsmith with the barrel set back and the end shake taken out. Cylinder gap is now only 0.003!” It will be fun to chronograph it again and compare to its original 0.010” gap. I'm guessing it will pick up 60-70 f.p.s. with a fast powder like Bullseye. The 3” M31-1 I picked up is very tight, only 0.003” gap, and it “should” produce about the same velocity (or m aybe a bit more) than my other M31-1 with 4 inch barrel and 0.006” gap. Stay tuned for warmer weather and we'll see.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Millelacs posted this 20 February 2007

20 some years ago, I had an old top break .32 Long that I fired some .32 ACP in. Not to many rounds, and I had problems with it. Would not recommend it, unless the .32 ACP was handloaded down to .32 Long pressures.

Attached Files

Lloyd Smale posted this 23 February 2007

best .32 bullets for me have been the rcbs 98swc and the ballistic cast 105swc. Best powder have been for slow loads bullseye and redot. For heavier loads and heavier bullets hands down the best has been h4227 followed by aa9(wc820) and lilgun. One other odd thing ive noticed over the years is with the slow powders mag primers almost allways shrink groups by a bunch. More so then any other small case i load for.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John F.
Ed Harris posted this 23 February 2007

I like the RCBS 32-98SWC also, but my LBT .312-105FNBB and Saeco #325 are 4-cavities which simplifies the bullet supply. Last weekend I got into a casting orgy and ran 40 pounds of the LBTs after sight culling. It will take me alot longer to prime and expand 2000 cases to load them.

In my experience current Alliant #2400 is better with standard primers. Speer No. 13 agrees with this. But Federal 200 Small Rifle and Magnum pistol gave me best results with IMR/H4227. However, all I use in the .32s now is Bullseye. I don't load supersonic in the .32 H&R Mag handguns, but stay around 1000 f.p.s.

Attached Files

Lloyd Smale posted this 23 February 2007

to bad you missed out on the group buy on the other cast bullet forum. I kind of instigated a 6 cavity lee exact copy of the rcbs 98grain swc. Like you said it sure makes it nicer to have a bigger mold. I bought two of them and run them at the same time and can make a pile in a short time.

Attached Files

aaa-sam posted this 02 March 2007

dear ed:

i am new so bare with me

i have questions or comments - how ever you wish to handle it

site does look great

i have taken two 308 dia. barrels and made liners for shotguns - one in 410 and one in 20ga.

i have an adepter for 303 to 32 acp

have enjoyed han laoding for 32's

main bullet 310 rb flatten to 308

note!! i have measures 32 acp cases at .334

i have measured 32 sw at 340 old old cases

i have made my own sizing dies for each

i uses a 32 crimper to hold bullets in place from lee

question!!! have any good cast loads for 30-30

i like to shoot 120 to 150 gr.

at 1500 to 1800 fps

thanks

aaa-sam

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 05 March 2007

AAA-Sam,

I've thought about getting the MCA barrel liners for my shotguns, but so far have resisted the urge. Your home-made ones should work fine. You can load all the straight-wall .32s with a set of .32 ACP dies if you have a couple of shell holders.

I have used roundballs too, mostly 0 buckshot pushed through a .311 Lee die, sizing the buckshot gives some cylindrical surface for the rifling to grab onto and seems to work better. For lube i just tumble lightly in the Lee Liquid Alox. For round balls in the .30-30 about 4 grs. of Bullseye works OK. Best accuracy in conventional plainbased cast loads with any bullet from 100 to 180 grs. is with 6 grs. of Bullseye, or 7 grs. of Unique. If you check the thread Bullseye Always Works elsewhere on the forum I've posted more Bullseye loads.

For heavier .30-30 cast bullet loads with castchecked bullets I always had good luck with either 15 grs. of #2400, 18 grs. of #4227, 20 grs. of 4198, 21 grs. of RL-7 or 26 grs. of 4895. These bracket your desired veloicity range. Good luck.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John F.
  • M3 Mitch
Dale53 posted this 13 March 2007

It was 76 degrees with sunshine and almost no wind, here, today (SW Ohio). I made a flying trip to N.C. (left Thursday A.M. at 23 degrees and by the time I got to Ed's area

On topic: I made it to the range today with the 16-4 S&W 6” (with scope) and my TC (SSK barrel in .32 H&R).

The Cast Boolit Group Buy Keith (100 gr swc) shot extremely well at 25 yards. Most of the bullets grouped well under an inch. I was able to shoot a few targets two handed standing and had a 99, 98, 97 on the 25 yard target (yeah, I know a REAL pistol shot would do that well at fifty yards, but “What can I say?(:>;))” I had a wondrous time and wish that all of you could have been there.

This coming weekend the local weather will go “back in the toilet” (cold and wet), “But we'll always have Paris..."

I guess it is back to the indoor range with the little “.32 popguns".

All loads today were in .32 S&W L cases with 2.8 grs of Win 231 and the GB 100 gr Keith with Win SP primers. Bullets were WW/lino at 5/1 with 2% tin sized .313” (Star sizer, nose first) lubed with Emmert's Home Mix Modified (as Ed says, “In home mix we trust"(:>;)). However, as soon as my sizer runs dry I will start using Lars “Carnauba Red” lube.

Dale53

Attached Files

aaa-sam posted this 16 March 2007

thank you very much got more thern expected

sam p.

Attached Files

Balhincher posted this 17 March 2007

Ed,

Today at a gun show I picked up a Colt Police Positive 32 revolver.  It has a five inch barrel, drift adjustable rear sight, and seems to be in pretty good shape.  The trigger pull both single and double action is good and most of the bluing is intact.  It may have some rust spots polished out and the blue touched up.  The grips may not be correct (it has checkered wood grips with Colt gold medallions).  The backstrap is checkered.  The serial number is 252xxx.  I have been reading your comments and articles about 32 caliber revolvers with interest and thought you might be able to help me answer a question about my 32.  Stamped on the barrel beside the Police Positive marking is .32 Police Ctg.  The seller said that was the same as a 32 S&W but I can't find any confirmation of this in my reference library.  I know Colt sometimes used their own name for a cartridge introduced and named by S&W and wondered if 32 Police was an example of that practice. 

I am interested in mild, target loads using lead bullets so have no interest in hot loads or max velocities with this revolver.  Can you tell me what cartridges are safe to use in this gun.  I tried a 32 S&W long cartridge in the cylinder and it appeared to fit OK for length and diameter but I didn't attempt to fire it.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide or any comments or information about this 32 revolver.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 18 March 2007

I'm not Ed, but you might want to look at this:

http://www.gunblast.com/Cumpston32Colt.htm

This cartridge should be the same as the .32 S&W Long and the load I gave just above should work well in this revolver. These Colt revolvers are nice pieces and you should thoroughly enjoy it.

The RCBS 98 Gr Keith should be a dandy bullet for this. Lee also has a couple of moulds that will work well.

Hornady and Speer both offer HB WadCutters that are often used with 1.8 Bullseye or 2.2 grs of Win 231 when seated nearly flush with the case mouth.

I don't recommend reloading the old break open .32's due to their lack of strength.

Your Colt Police Positive, in good condition, will have no trouble with these loads.

The .32 S&W L is a Very useful little cartridge. Not only is it quite accurate, but it is a dandy cartridge for edible small game.

Dale53

Attached Files

Balhincher posted this 18 March 2007

Dale53,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I'll check out the reference you mention in the link.  I am indeed looking forward to shooting this little Colt.  I was hoping that it was suitable for the S&W Long.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 18 March 2007

The easiest way to see if it is for the Colt or S&W based cartridge is to look into the cylinder. The Colt for their heeled bullet is bored smooth all the way through, the S&W for their crimped bullet has a shoulder in the front of the cylinder, as in all modern revolvers. Ric

Attached Files

Balhincher posted this 18 March 2007

Thank you for the comment.

I checked the cylinders and they do indeed have a shoulder in them (are not smooth all the way through).  The cylinder is about 1.25 inches long and the shoulder appears to be approximately a quarter inch from the front.  I didn't measure it but this is just an estimate.  Do you think that means it is intended for a S&W long or equivalent Colt round?

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 18 March 2007

As Balhincher states, the cylinder has a smaller diameter “throat” if it is for the S&W Long. Another easy “test” is if it chambers the larger in diameter S&W Long, then it is FOR the S&W Long. The S&W long is larger in diameter and won't chamber in a revolver chambered for the .32 Colt Long or Short.

It IS kind of confusing, but the .32 S&W Long and the .32 Colt New Police are the same cartridge. In factory form, the S&W L version was/is a round nose and the Colt version is a Round Flat Nose.

My favorite bullet for the .32 S&W Long is a Keith Style semi-wadcutter as exemplified by the RCBS 98 SWC bullet mould. Lee also has a TL314-90-SWC bullet mould that does well. Lee, at one time, also offered a full solid base wadcutter in the “tumble lubes style", but, alas, no longer offers it. RCBS still offers a nice two cavity full wadcutter.

AS I stated above my preference for a general use AND target use with my revolvers is for a good SWC. I was fortunate in getting in on a Group Buy six Cavity custom Lee mould for a 100 gr SWC. If I had not been able to do that, I would have purchased the RCBS two cavity bullet mould for their version of the SWC.

Those dedicated target shooters using a semi-automatic requiring the full wadcutter can use the RCBS Wadcutter mould.

Dale53

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Ed Harris posted this 19 March 2007

You have a pre-WWII Colt Police Positive chambered for the .32 Colt New Police.  This cartridge is interchangeable with the .32 S&W Long. 

You can use any factory .32 S&W or .32 S&W Long ammunition in it.  As for handloads, if you don't want to cast your own, I'd get some of the 94-gr. LFN bullets from Meister and load 2 grains of Bullseye,  This is a good approximation of the factory load for the .32 Colt NP.   Alternately use any standard published loading data for the .32 S&W Long and any bullet from 90 to 100 grs., as these will shoot to the sights. If you want to cast your own bullets, a good choice would be the RCBS 32-98SWC or the RCBS 32-90CM.  I'd cast these of wheelweights and size .313. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Bret4207 posted this 21 March 2007

Ed, just got The Fouling Shot today. Excellent piece on the 32 Auto. Nice to see I'm not alone in my praise of the 32S+W/Long/Mag/Auto and 32-20. Keep it up.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 22 March 2007

The .32 Auto is the first of a series.

There will be another on the .32 S&W Long in revolvers and yet another on both the .32 ACP and the .32 S&W Long as small game rifles.

Stay tuned...

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 23 March 2007

Ed; I am sure that we are all looking forward to the “pop gun” articles. I know that I am.

Dale53

Attached Files

Balhincher posted this 31 March 2007

Thanks to all of you who responded to my questions about the Colt 32 Police Positive revolver.  I got some additional comments you may be interested in from Coltforum.com.  When I described the gun on that forum, one comment suggested that I have a Police Positive Target that has had the original barrel swapped for a regular PP barrel.  The front sight on my gun is not the adjustable rectangular blade but a half moon sight while the rear sight is adjustable by sliding in a dovetail groove. 

After shooting the revolver with a Meister RNFP bullet (93 gr listed on box) with 1.8 gr of Red Dot and with a 90 gr Hornady SWC swaged lead bullet with the same powder I found the point of impact of those loads was about 3 inches above the point of aim at a range of approximately 25 feet.  That would put it around 9 or 10 inches high at 25 yd.  This seems to indicate that the half moon sight may not be the original and that it is not as high as the original rectangular target from sight.  This is based on just one casual shooting session that was more plinking than testing but the tendency to shoot high was pretty consistent over 60 or 70 shots at a paper target.

I'm wondering if there is a way to replace the half moon front sight with a taller one.  I can't tell if the front sight is a separate part or part of the barrel itself.  Finding a target barrel or target front sight like this model revolver is supposed to have would probably be impossible.  I'm thinking about trying to build up the half moon sight with some Accraglas or Bondo or similar epoxy based material.  Anyone have any experience with “stretching” a front sight?

Attached Files

Balhincher posted this 01 April 2007

Here is a photo of the Colt 32 that allegedly has the wrong barrel.

Attached Files

william iorg posted this 07 April 2007

That's a nice Colt!

Ed,

I too want to mention how much my Wife and I have enjoyed your articles on the .32 handguns over the years. As fans of the .32 S&W Long and H&R Magnum my wife and I enjoy reading of others experiences with the cartridges. In addition to our revolvers my wife has a small herd of various .32 automatics and she enjoys scattering empties across the range with them. I need to make a net brass catcher some day”¦

Your latest article, Fouling Shot, No. 186, has been a very interesting read. I am anxiously awaiting your follow up on the .32 ACP rifle barrel.

We have a 24� .32 H&R Mag TC barrel and enjoy shooting it very much. Our rifle came about due to articles by General V. E. McGee (Ruger No. 1) and Ross Seyfried (Ruger No. 3). Last year we added a Marlin 1894 in .32 Magnum and this one has proven to be great fun.

The .32 Mag certainly makes a good small game cartridge in both the rifle and handgun.

My wife could put that bunny to good use as she is making curry on a snowy day.

Edit>

Edit>

Slim

Attached Files

Bret4207 posted this 12 April 2007

Balhincher wrote I'm wondering if there is a way to replace the half moon front sight with a taller one.  I can't tell if the front sight is a separate part or part of the barrel itself.  Finding a target barrel or target front sight like this model revolver is supposed to have would probably be impossible.  I'm thinking about trying to build up the half moon sight with some Accraglas or Bondo or similar epoxy based material.  Anyone have any experience with “stretching” a front sight?

I think the sights were silver soldered in at the plant. I've heard of folks making a dam around the sight and using Acra Glass, JB Weld, etc to form a taller sight. Or you can cut the sight blade off, have it slotted and pin a thin blade in. Some of the oler gunsmithing books show various ideas on this. You could also send it out and have a band type front sight put on.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 12 April 2007

Best way is to mill off the existing blade, cut a slot in the forged integral base, then pin in a new blade. This enables you to install any size or shape of front sight and when the job is skillfully done you don't need to reblue.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John F.
  • M3 Mitch
gnoahhh posted this 12 April 2007

Has anybody tried Hodgdon Clays in the .32 S&W Long? Like Ed, I'm trying to simplify and Clays is my favorite 12ga. target powder. I'm already using it for light target loads in the .45 Colt. Thanks, Gary.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 12 April 2007

Hodgdon shows no data for Clays in the .32 S&W L or .32 H&R Mag.

Give them a phone call and see what their tech says. Don't waste time with an e-mail. I've been waiting so long for an e-mail answer that I don't know what it was I wanted to know...

Dale53

Attached Files

BustemAgain posted this 14 April 2007

Ed,

Your article on the .32 ACP in the latest Fouling Shot put me over the edge and I recently acquired a new CZ- 83 is this caliber. Incidentally this gun head-spaces on the case mouth.  My question is in regards to your experiences with or opinions on RCBS's 90gr .314 Cowboy Mould.  I don't have any moulds suitable to the .32 Auto currently other than a single cavity 311227 and I would like something with a meplat for  better effectiveness on game.  I can't find a Saeco #325 in stock currently.

Thanks,

Pete

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 16 April 2007

The RCBS 90-gr. Cowboy mould should work just fine, sized to .312 with about 1.7-1.8 grs. of Bullseye.

Attached Files

aaa-sam posted this 25 May 2007

ed.

remeber i mention liner for 410 in 32 h&r

once I put all sights on to the barrel of 410 itdoes a very nice job of placing bullets

thanks

sam aaa.

Attached Files

bruce posted this 30 May 2007

I haven't cast my first bullet yet, but I do have a six cavity Lee 311-95-1 mold on order for my CZ-83. If it comes by Friday I intend to get started casting Saturday with a friend who has the other items necessary including a great deal of lead. I've been shooting some 77 grain and 84 grain lead bullets through the CZ. I'll try to report back if and when I'm a real live boolit casting type guy.

Bruce

Attached Files

aaa-sam posted this 31 May 2007

I have used 1.3 grs behind a 310 round ball using clay

again as others say becareful and try it

aaa-sam

Attached Files

bruce posted this 11 June 2007

Well, I have now cast a bunch of bullets with my six cavity Lee 311-95-1 mold. Probably about 1000, guessing how small a dent in the bowl of bullets I made by pulling out 125 and tumbling them in liquid alox.

I fired them out of my CZ83 powered by 3.5 grains of Bluedot. I was firing them at a plate machine. I had some other ammo I'd loaded with the same charge of Bluedot but an 84 grain bullet. The 95 grainers tipped the plates much more consistently.

Now that I've finally cast some bullets, I'd say that I am looking forward to casting some more. I really liked the six cavity for getting bullets made quickly.

Bruce

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 25 September 2007

Bruce,

Have you ever (or anyone else for that matter) done anything with the CZ-27?

They have a used one at a local shop which is a little raunchy outside which gets the price way down, but it is tight with a bright bore for $150, so I put a deposit on it.

Reading www.gunblast.com/RKCambell_CZ27.htm it sounds like a fine shooter. What the heck, I can always use another cast bullet plinker and “bunny gun".

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
bruce posted this 25 September 2007

Ed,

I've never held a CZ-27. I would imagine that it is built like a tank. I sure like my CZ-83!

Bruce

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 26 September 2007

Yeah, it is.

About the size and heft of a Kahr 9mm.

Attached Files

Wineman posted this 04 November 2007

Ed,

Great stuff! I just picked up a S&W Hand Ejector in 32 WCF (32-20) with a serial number that would put its manufacture date between 1908 and 1915. Any thoughts on strength, loads etc? It looks rough but is still smooth and points well.

Thanks

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 04 November 2007

S&W HE's of this period do not have hardened cylinders. They were of good material, for the day, and thick, but are not strong. These are the revolvers that Lyman and others have data for reloading, in the pistol sections.

I, also, have an early HE, 6 1/2 ” round butt, with little finish and spotty bore. It shoots cast bullets sized 0.313 with 3.0 grains of Bullseye just fine. This load also shoots point of aim / point of impact, a rarity as most S&W's shoot to the left for me. I have shot 4.5 grains of Unique also, but it is not nearly as accurate as the Bullseye load.

If possible, avoid shooting 32/20 jacket ammo or reloads. They have a very bad habit of sticking in the barrel about 4 inches deep, and then ringing the barrel on the next shot.

HTH, Ric

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Ed Harris posted this 05 November 2007

FYI all,

I had the cylinder on my I-frame .32 HE (.32 S&W Long) made in 1914, Rockwell tested. It registered 90 on the Rockwell “B” scale and did not even register on the “C” scale. I expect your .32-20 is similar. For these old guns I do not recommend exceeding 16,000 c.u.p. or the equivalent of “standard velocity” .38 Special with 158-gr. bullet and 3.5 grs. of Bullseye. Ric's suggestions for .32-20 loads are right on the money. In the .32 S&W Long or .32 Colt NP for older steel guns or modern light alloy frames do not exceed 2.5 grs. of Bullseye with a 100-gr. bullet such as the Saeco #325 or the RCBS 32-90CM.

My similar size, postwar J-frame S&W Model 31 .32 S&W Long made in the 1970s ran Rc24. Significantly stronger than the old I-frame, but still no great shakes compared to modern alloys and heat treatment in the strength department.

Putting this in perspective in modern alloys such as 4140, law enforcement contract guns in the mid-1980s when I was at Ruger were often specified for .357s in acceptance at Rc28-38 with the desired working range 30-35.  A sample of guns was routinely endurance tested with 5000 rounds of factory magnum ammunition.  This was continued without cleaning, but dunking in water to cool every 500 rounds only. To “pass” meant no malfunctions which could not be cleared at user level within 10 seconds.  After endurance testing sample guns still had to meet accuracy specs and gage up properly for gap, headspace and end play.

We asked for the government's QAR to approve an “accelerated endurance test,” to speed production.  This was reaonable since the Gov't specs required testing a sample size determined by Mil-Std-414 which for our throughout meant 13 guns from each shift. This was expensive in ammo, time and labor. So based on previous experience with M1911 pistols during WWII they OK'ed an accelerated test of 360 proof loads, which took place after initial targeting and accuracy acceptance, then afterwards we repeated the gaging and accuracy test.  GP100s would pass this test  handily. No manufacturer among the competing bidders even wanted to try!

Steel similar to SAE1035 was used in .38 Special J- and K-frames into the 1980s. These handle “limited use” of +P ammunition up to 20,000 cup, but are well known to develop end play and loosen cylinder gap from frame stretch if fed a steady diet of it. I have seen this happen in Model 10 and Model 15 K-frame revolvers in as little as 500 rounds of U.S. Treasury 110-gr. Q4070 +P+ and 1000 rounds of Winchester X38SPD, Remington R38S12 or Federal 38G +P.   The Models 13 and 19 frames gave comparable endurance in a similar ratio of .357 Magnum vs. .38 +P, which is why they came up with the “L” frame and discontinued the K models. 

It is true that in a small case such as the .32 S&W Long or .32 HRM that you have far fewer square inches setting back against the recoil shield. You can cautiously crowd +P pressures, but I still wouldn't exceed the equivalent of 18,000 cup, or 3 grs. of Bullseye with the 85-gr. Hornady XTP or 94-gr. Meister LFN for a steady diet if you want the gun to last.

I use 2.5 grs. of Bullseye across the board with the Meister 94-gr. FN in all my .32 revolvers. This is a slight increase over what I load with the miniature Keith style Saeco #325, because the Meister's long nose and shorter shank results in less seating depth. It takes about 0.2 grain more powder with the Meister to get the same velocity as the Saeco loaded with a lighter charge.

If the revolver has a cylinder gap equal to or greater than 0.010” do not attempt to shoot jacketed bullet ammo, as you will stick one in the bore. If gap is over 0.012” I don't recommend firing until the barrel has been set back, end play taken out and gap adjusted within 0.003-0.008” Go-NoGo.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John F.
  • M3 Mitch
Wineman posted this 05 November 2007

Ric and Ed,

Thanks for the help and information.

I had time to go through the pistol this weekend and unfortunately the cylinder has fore and aft play. At the front it is 0.007” and when back it is 0.020"! There is also some side to side cylinder rocking when “locked up"

It may not be the best investment given the age and condition to put a lot of gunsmithing into this gun. It looks like it could be a wall hanger...

Thanks again for the help!

Dave

Attached Files

Russ posted this 10 November 2007

On the 32-20, I'm working with Trail Boss and Lyman 311316 sized .312, TB fills the case better and is more consistant on velocity and group size because the powder fills the case better and can't dribble away from the primer. I'm using 2 colts; Bisley and Army Special, both with long barrels, am at 3.5 gr. and progressing well. More later!!!!

Attached Files

bruce posted this 07 December 2007

How about the new “.327 Federal Magnum” in the Ruger SP101 with 3” barrel?

This may really put the POP in popgun!

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 07 December 2007

The .327 Federal ”€œ just another Federal flash in the pan? 

You may have read the hype - From the November, 2007 press release:

“Federal has partnered with Ruger to introduce a new personal defense revolver cartridge designed to deliver 357 Magnum ballistics out of a 32-caliber diameter platform”€and with 20-percent less recoil. The 327 Federal Magnum”¦ designed for use in lightweight, small frame revolvers like the proven Ruger SP101”¦This allows shooters to chamber an additional round in their wheelgun”€six shots as opposed to the traditional five-shot cylinder offered in 38-Special and 357 Magnum guns”¦

“The 327 Federal Magnum is ideal for personal defense and has the potential for future application in field use”¦Ruger SP101 will shoot 32 H&R Magnum, 32 S&W and 32 S&W Long ammunition”€giving shooters four caliber offerings and a great, versatile product for target shooting and personal defense applications.

The ammunition will be available in three loads: ”¢ PD327HS1 H: Federal Premium 85-gr Hydra-Shokâ„¢ JHP (1330 fps muzzle velocity in 3-1/16â€? barrel) ”¢ AE327: American Eagle® 100-gr SP (1400 fps muzzle velocity in 3-1/16â€? barrel) ”¢ 23914 : Speer 115-gr Gold Dot® HP (1300 fps muzzle velocity in 3-1/16â€? barrel)

Ruger will offer the 327 Federal Magnum SP101 in a 3-1/16-inch barrel length and six-shot cylinder..adjustable rear site and satin stainless finish”¦available beginning in January of 2008.

Federal and Ruger are hyping this as a defense gun for women, but I believe that the users they want to attract will be turned off by its noise, muzzle flash and recoil. I've trained my share of female CCW and this is the WRONG ANSWER!

I predict that this cartridge will go the way of the 9mm Federal in a few years, unless they promote it as a dual-purpose rifle-handgun, small game and varmint cartridge to replace the .32-20. 

The .327 “could” be what the .32 HRM “should” have been. It was unfortunate that the .32 HRM was designed around the weaker H&R revolver so that factory load pressures were limited to slightly above the .38 Spl. +P. Had the .32 HRM been designed from the git-go within the working design limits of the SP101 at ~30,000 psi, it would have been a horse of a different color, enabling .32-20 rifle performance from a 4” revolver.   

But factory HRM loads never lived up to the round's true potential in a strong, modern gun.  So it never really took off as it should have.

The .327 does provides an opportunity to “fix” this, but because of the pre-existing H&Rs they must lengthen the case to avoid its use in the weaker revolvers.  

While its is true that greater case capacity has advantages for rifle use, because it gives you more room to stuff more slow-burning powder in, this approach works poorly in handgun barrels shorter than about 5 inches.  This is because powders which work best in long barrels leave unburned powder residue, which gets under the extractor to jam DA revolvers, produces lower velocities due to incomplete burning and poor ballistic uniformity from “snubbyâ€? barrels favored for concealed defense carry.

The larger unused powder space which results when loading faster powders which are required for a “clean burn” in the short barrels, causes greater velocity and pressure variations caused by random powder positioning.  This also occurs in the .357 and .44 Magnum cases when you have small charges of fast powder “sloshing around” in them.  The effect of this upon accuracy s minimal within 25 yards, but greater vertical dispersion is very apparent at realistic "small game” ranges of 50 yards or more.  

I would think of the .327 Federal as a rimmed cal. .30 Carbine. The .30 Carbine Blackhawk was and still is still nasty and unpleasant to shoot with full loads.  Most people I know who own them load it down to the equivalent of a .32-20, which was about the greatest small game gun ever. 

But just imagine the sensory overload, ear splitting noise, dazzling muzzle flash and a sharp sting in the web of your hand shooting the ballistic equivalent of a .30 Mauser from a 3” revolver!

I would expect that the ammo will be neither plentiful, nor cheap. If .327 experience parallels that of the .38 Special v. .357 Magnum, accuracy experienced firing shorter .32 HRM and .32 S&W Long rounds in the longer .327 chamber will be inferior to using them in proper chambers dimensioned for them. 

The .327 would make a good modern replacement for the .32-20 Winchester by providing a well designed, strong, modern case, if suitable modern firearms were designed for it.

I would like to see the .327 offered in a trim, small game bolt action having proportions like the CZ .22 Hornet walking rifles, or an elegant, modern, single-shot “rook rifle” weighing about 5 pounds, with 24” barrel, paired with reasonable choices of trim, accurate revolvers for field use, such as the Single Six or an SP101 with a slender 4” barrel and Bowen Rough Country sights.

That could keep a potentially nice round from falling flat on its face. I don't see it taking off as a defense round.  But if we can get the French Army to adopt it there may be hope.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch

Ed,

I'd been thinking of getting the SP101 in 32 H&R just because I like .32 but don't like hunting for my brass when the CZ lobs it. The longer chamber is probably worth waiting for, since that won't be too available until way after Christmas.

But for pocket carry, the Smith airweight model 37 is probably not going to be replaced. I don't actually foresee myself needing to shoot .312” holes in small engine blocks anytime soon. Even here in Michigan the engines don't get that restless.

Bruce

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 07 December 2007

I must confess if one comes into the local shop I would be tempted...

Attached Files

Speaking of .32 popguns and .30 Mauser, the Shotgun News just peaked through the mailslot in the front door, and on the cover is J&G Sales with Romanian Tokarevs for $199.95

I guess that will make a load POP and pitch my brass a good distance! I think its been a good six months since my last weapon purchase...

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 07 December 2007

ED:

Your conclusions regarding the new .327 Federal in a short barrel revolver as a defense gun is right on the mark. After I was hired as a trooper back in the early 70's, one of the first things that I did was to look for a second car gun that I could also carry off duty. Our duty revolver at the time was a 4'' nickel  .357 S&W Mod 19 and having had several 6” 19's, I figured that the ideal pistol would be the 2 1/2” version. The other plus was that the duty ammo we were issued was the hot loaded 125 gr. hollow point. So, the ammo would be compatible as well.

The 2 1/2 ” 19 was fine revolver and I had a Soft spot for the 19 Smith anyway but It didn't take long at all to realize that this had not been a good choice. The muzzle blast was horrific and one could easily see the flash in the daylight let alone what it would have looked like after dark. But I think worst of all was the sharpness of the report. Akin to the S&W Jet. Didn't think all these distractions would be good in a business  situation. And wearing ear plugs 24 hrs a days was not an option. So, this 2 1/2'' 19 was replaced with a nickel Colt .45 ACP Combat Commander which carried on for a quite a number of years. 

Your description of the .327 Fed., the revolver and the claims of it being a defense gun just brought back some memories is all. While not .357's , the muzzle blasts from these hot .32's when fired in a revolver can be plenty sharp! Don't think I'll be in the market for one. Think the round would be fun in a small single shot rifle though.    

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John F.
RicinYakima posted this 07 December 2007

First of all can we move this discussion to a new heading?

Handguns: Got to agree with Ed on this, as I carry a S&W 331 in HRM. It is loud, but very accurate with max loads. The real platform would be a 24 oz, 6 inch barrel field gun with adjustable sights.

Rifles: Marlin and NEF both have a rifle that this would fit into just fine. BUT, how about a quality single shot action (martini, low wall, or 60% Ruger) with 24 inch barrel?

Ric

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch

On the top of moving the discussion to a new heading:

Ed started the discussion with this sentence:

Anybody else but me play with cast bullets in the .32 ACP, .32 S&W Long and .32 H&R Magnum? I've already sent two articles in, but it would be fun to see what you guys are using.

I brought up the new round & Ruger revolver because these guns would be something new but still allow firing all of the above (some may question .32 ACP}, and it seems like the new round would add a bit of POP to the popgun moniker.

Thus, my vote for keeping the thing rolling along in .32 popguns.

But indeed, a “.327 Federal Magnum” thread would make sense, as would “Why noisy muzzle-flashing revolvers won't revolutionize concealed carry” thread might also make sense.

Bruce

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 07 December 2007

Bruce, My intent is to speed up the loading of this thread on my computer, as it is 5 pages, takes a while to load, and writing responses takes even longer. Ric

Attached Files

Ric,

I wonder if “.32 Popguns - Part II” would be a good title, then it could be a faster loading continuation on the .32 theme?

Bruce

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 10 December 2007

With 87 replies and now over 4600 reads, the “Popgun"  thread is surely a Guiness record holder in the cast bullet world, but we should move it elsewhere, lest people think we are writing a book.  Who would have imagined it would be so popular?

So, I have started a new thread entitled:

"Why do manufacturers think that successful cartridges must make your hand sting and your ears ring?

Continuation of the “Pop-Gun / Bunny Gun” Thread, requested parameters per Ed Harris

1) Pro or con discussion of the new .327 Federal Magnum,

2) Tales of woe or wisdom especially related to .30 Carbine revolvers

3) Other ear splitting small bore center-fires, such as the .30 Luger or .30 Mauser

4) Any other firearm, rifle, handgun, pistol, revolver, shotgun insert tube, etc. whose caliber designator first numerical digit is a “THREE” and whose second numerical digit is TWO or LESS!

Attached Files

carlo posted this 28 January 2008

I've been reloading .32 Smith and Wesson Longs and casting bullets for it for quite a few years now. I'm not particularly interested in buying a new gun just because of the new cartridge that's been introduced. I have wanted to experiment with the .32 Long's potential in the past, and was close to buying a carbine length barrel for my T-C Contender from Bullberry, but decided against it finally. They could only offer a barrel in .308, which may be ok, but I just didn't think it was a good idea to be adding one more increase in pressure beyond what I'd be creating by using heavier loads of slower burning powder.  I've made up loads for my Smith and Wesson J-Frame (bought new in 1982) that were slightly beyond published specs without any problems. Seems to me that in a strong action like a Contender, one could improve considerably on the ballistics of a cartridge that's intended to be safe in ancient break-top revolvers.  I'd still like to try it, and if someone comes out with a carbine barrel for the Contender in the new Federal cartridge, I'd consider buying one. You guys all seem to have done a lot more experimenting than I have with these  things, what effect is there when shooting .312 bullets through a .308 bore? I guess if it was dangerous, nobody would be selling guns for the .32 H and R or the new Federal .327 with .308 bores?

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 28 January 2008

Carlo,

As long as you don't try to overload your .32 S&W Longs above .32 H&R Magnum levels and stay with loads which are under 900 fps from your S&W Model 31 revolver, I would not be concerned about the modest pressure increase you will get firing them in a lever-action or single-shot rifle having a normal .30 cal. barrel. While it is true that there will be about 3,500 to 5,000 cup increase in pressure, this would still be well within the design limits of any modern rifle or handgun.

It's more risky to develop whiz-bang loads for your rifle, as there is the risk of having one of these find its way into your nice little S&W revolver by mistake. I don't make different loads for rifles or revolvers when I have guns in the same calibers.

I advise everyone else who chooses to swim in this pool to do likewise.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
carlo posted this 28 January 2008

Thanks for the reply. I have in the past done such things as you've advised against. I have a  Winchester in .45 LC for  which I've made loads based on old T-C Contender loading data. I always marked the primers (and, in fact the entire base of the cartridges) with red sharpie so that I'd know before I even took them out of the box that they weren't supposed to be put in a pistol.  I haven't bothered to do that in a number of years; it just seemed like the extra power wasn't really worth the risk, although I never had a problem due to the bright markings I used. However, a Contender barrel chambered for the new Federal cartridge would preclude any such risks as you've mentioned, since they just won't fit in the Smith's cylinder. Actually, this does bring up one issue that's related to some of the discussion re: the new “.327” cartridge. That being that the chambers in my Smith and Wesson are smaller diameter at the mouth where the bullet sits. Since one of the “advantages” everyone seems to be excited about with this new cartridge is that you can shoot The S&W Long cartridges in it for light “target” loads, aren't you sacrificing accuracy by forcing the bullet to move nearly 1/4 inch through the chamber before it reaches the mouth of the chamber that's a correct diameter for the bullet? I ran a box of .32 Shorts through my Smith once, and there was a noticable decrease in accuracy.  Even though the .32 long has a reputation for accuracy, I'd think people would be better off creating reduced velocity handloads for the H and R and Federal magnums vs shooting the shorter cartridges.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Ed Harris posted this 29 January 2008

carlo wrote: ...Since one of the “advantages” everyone seems to be excited about with this new cartridge is that you can shoot The S&W Long cartridges in it for light “target” loads, aren't you sacrificing accuracy by forcing the bullet to move nearly 1/4 inch through the chamber before it reaches the mouth of the chamber that's a correct diameter for the bullet? I ran a box of .32 Shorts through my Smith once, and there was a noticable decrease in accuracy.  Even though the .32 long has a reputation for accuracy, I'd think people would be better off creating reduced velocity handloads for the H and R and Federal magnums vs shooting the shorter cartridges. If the shank length of the chosen bullet in the shorter round, is still aligned by the mouth of the shorter case, as it enters the cylindrical ball seat of the longer chamber, accuracy may be quite good.  For instance, I've gotten better accuracy in .357 Magnum revolvers using DEWC bullets loaded in .38 Special cases than in trying to load them in .357 Magnum ones.  I believe that excessive airspace in the case with some powders may degrade ballistic uniformity. I is sometimes it is better to tolerate the additional bullet jump, than to reduce it by using a longer case at the cost of impaired ballistic uniformity.   I have used .32 S&W (not Long) cases in my revolvers and “bunny rifle” for greatly reduced, nearly silent loads with longer, heavier bullets seated out, and they have shot well.

I would not discount the possibility of using .32 S&W Long or .32 HRM ammunition in the .327 Federal until you had tried it. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Dale53 posted this 29 January 2008

"I would not discount the possibility of using .32 S&W Long or .32 HRM ammunition ion the .327 Federal until you had tried it. “ Ed; I'm glad to hear you say that. My experience with not only the .32 S&W L in .32 H&R chambers as well as .38 Specials in .357 Magnum chambers shows that they, most times (not always) shoot VERY well. In fact, as I have stated many times before, I shoot mostly .32 S&W L cases in all of my .32 H&R chambered revolves with excellent results. These results were confirmed with Ransom Rest Tests in the calibers indicated with a number of different revolvers.

That need (use of .32 S&W L cases in .32 H&R Magnums) came from the fact that in early days of this caliber, Federal (the only source of .32 mag cases) shut off sales of components to their customers. Further, the Federal brass in loaded rounds at that time was terrible. I would have five or six cases split every time I shot a box of fifty. In the same revolvers, I could shoot .32 S&W L cases innumerable times without a problem.

Dale

Attached Files

pascalp posted this 17 February 2008

I mostly cast 7,65 browning (aka 32acp) for a Walther PP.

My first choice is Lyman 311252, 75gr .

I'm also playing with a 30-20 TC, some of my .30 molds:

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 13 March 2008

ascalp wrote: I mostly cast 7,65 browning (aka 32acp) for a Walther PP.

My first choice is Lyman 311252, 75gr ... The #311252 shoots very well for its weight, due to its short nose and long bearing surface.  However, a flatnose, if your pistol feeds reliably with one, is better for field shooting.

My most accurate bullets in the .32 ACP are the Saeco #325 98-grain SWC intended for the .32 S&W Long and the NEI #82 shortened to remove the GC heel and bottom band, leaving a rebated heel at the midpoint of the bottom lube groove, this results in a 98-gr. flatnose.  Both feed fine in my CZ, Beretta and Colt pistols, as does also the 94-gr. Meister flatnose, all pictured below:

Left to right factory FMJ, 98-grain Saeco #325 SWC, 98-gr. NEI shortened #82, 94-gr. Meister. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
aaa-sam posted this 28 March 2008

ed:

I lost or broke my depimer for a 222 lee set

though you might like pass on my invention

took a spoke from a bicycle wheel an trimmed 3 inchs off

enclosed in a stainless steel tube that just fits of the spoke

it works like a charm -- hope others can uses the idea

thanks for get web site

sam p.

Attached Files

Notlwonk posted this 05 April 2008

I've been using the Lee 311-93-1R bullet in my KelTec with 1.3 grs of Bullseye. The vel. is 480 fps. It's 'hot' enough to knock over steel plates! I've restricted myself to using R-P, Rem-Umc or CBC brass, all the other types have a lot of internal taper and will swage the base of the bullet. The problem is, most of the range brass is Win. S&B and RWS. Don't know for sure if it is a problem. In the load work up, the first trial was 1.0 of BE and did not eject, 1.2 and 1.4 were also tried and both functioned. The bullet is of 7 Brinnel and weighs 93 grs.  

Attached Files

bsavictor500 posted this 11 February 2016

I have a russian nagant target pistol. I use the lee wadcutter mold 98 grain not made any more. I use red dot three grains it is a beautiful shooting gun. 

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 11 February 2016

Is your Nagant in .32 S&W Long or the Russian cartridge?

Either way, would love to see some pictures and targets.

Attached Files

bsavictor500 posted this 19 February 2016

I will try to post a photo here- my gun is identical to this one. We were using 12 guage empty shotgun shells as targets. I also have an enfield 38 and a webley 45 that we were shooting. 

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 20 February 2016

Looks like a purpose-built match pistol, Soviet style. May not be pretty, but I am told their stuff works.l

Attached Files

bsavictor500 posted this 20 February 2016

They are copies built by century arms of the russian match target pistols. I bought two several years ago. I have had a nagant revolver for 40 plus years. 

Attached Files

You should do a test report and write-up for The Fouling Shot, talk about what loads are most accurate, what results you get. Reading about different and somewhat unusual guns is always interesting Photos of gun, best bullets, typical targets would be wonderful!

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
bsavictor500 posted this 20 February 2016

I have no idea what the fowling shot is. I will help anybody shoot anything that i know about from a dutch model 1891 revolver to a swiss model 1882 revolver. I have owned and shot many military sidearms from many countries-I have taken them apart and repaired them and enjoyed every minute of doing it.  My favorite rifles are m1 carbines ,mas 49/56,enfield no4 mk 1,cz52 rifle(dont have it anymore), sharps(dont have it anymore), trapdoor springfield(dont have it any more)58 caliber musket enfield pattern(dont have it anymore).I have hundreds of photos-- proof marks and other stuff that interested me but i know most about the nagant revolvers and similiar almost copies. As for writing articles for the sake of writing articles I would rather go cast some bullets or go shoot.

Attached Files

The Fouling Shot is the magazine published by the CBA. John Alexander can email you a free sample copy.

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 17 October 2018

In a similar thread somewhere on here I posted up about my American Eagle .30 Luger.  Unlike the 32-20, which I do find to be very loud with more or less "full" loads, the Luger does not strike me as significantly louder than it's 9mm counterpart.  I have mostly used the old Lyman 93 grain round nose bullet, while the bore does have a little pitting, it still will stay on a beer can out to about 40 yards if I do my part.  That same Lyman bullet works well in a 32 S&W Colt Officer's Model Heavy Barrel Match that I picked up I want to say for $300 at Ski's House of Guns in Idaho Falls, this would have been 1983 or 1984 probably.  Ski himself offered it to me as soon as I walked in "Hey, Mitch, you like guns in oddball calibers, how about this!"  Times have changed and the .32 S&W is not considered oddball anymore. That Colt has a great SA trigger pull, would be quite acceptable on a rifle.  It is capable of much better accuracy than I am.  Also have an old Colt 1903 automatic in .32 ACP that is quite accurate with the 77 grain Lyman bullet.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John F.
GP Idaho posted this 17 October 2018

90% of the shooting I do is just plinking at different targets of opportunity. For this type of shooting it's hard to beat the little 32cals.  I have a nice old Colt 32-20 that Richard D. here on our forum was kind enough to sell me and a 32 S&W H&R revolver I bought at the local Cabela"s.  Moulds for these include the Noe 313-89-WC-BE4, the Lee TL314-90-SWC,the Lee 311-93-1R and a great Saeco #326 SWC that I picked up from Ken C.  This gives me lots of different combinations to play with and every one of them are very easy on the components. 90gr. of lead and three grains or so of powder per round  and I'm set for an afternoons worth of fun at a very modest price. Yep, I like the 32's. Gp

Attached Files

Gregor posted this 18 October 2018

My friend and S&W gunsmithing school grad Bob picked up a 31-1 3" .32 S&W Long at the S&W Forum Fall gettogether October 6th.,  98% easily with no box.  I found some factory second Federal .32 Long wadcutter loads at a local store and ordered some brass and LEE molds from MidwayUSA, which arrived Tuesday.

I just got finished casting some LEE 93gr. RN and 90gr. SWC bullets this morning in preparation for Bob and I getting together this Friday to do some loading.  I have a Ruger Single-Seven 5 1/2" .327 Federal Magnum to load for and use as a test bed.

I have used the NOE 117gr RNFPGC 314316 over 10.0 grs. 2400 and 12.0-12.5 grs Win 296 in the .327 with excellent results and look forward to explore the other cartridges that will work in this revolver.

Funny how this thread pops back up when I was interested in finding some information on .32's.

Thanks for all the posts.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
beagle6 posted this 18 October 2018

I recently acquired a Colt Police Positive in 32 Colt New police ( 32 S&W Long). It is the target model with a 6 inch bbl.and adjustable sights. According to the serial number it was made in 1915 but is in near mint condition. I've been loading a.314, 100 grain semi wadcutter from Badman Bullets with 2 grains of Red Dot.Glen Fryxell uses 2.6 with a 100 grain and Lyman recommends 2.4 of Bullseye. I consider both Bullseye and Red Dot to have pretty much the same burning rate so this is a very mild load and is a pleasure to shoot in this fine old pistol. I never would have considered buying a 32 except for Ed's articles. My wife considers him a bad influence since every time I read one of his articles i want to buy something. Keep up the good work,Ed.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 18 October 2018

Yep, has the effect on me too.

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 18 October 2018

.32 and 30 gats are hard to beat for plinking, as we have discussed elsewhere, even the .32 ACP tends to be surprisingly accurate, even from "pocket" guns.  .32 S&W Long looks like a smaller version of the .38 Special, and shoots just as accurately, using less lead and less powder to do a similar job at plinking or formal target shooting for that matter.  30 Luger is a lesser known but in my experience quite accurate round, bit on the loud side if you want a load that will work the action.  The only .32 S&W (short) guns I have shot are very small old S&W revolvers, break opens, with very fine sights, so I think it has not had a real chance to show me it's accuracy potential. 

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 18 October 2018

beagle6 ... you mention Badman bullets ....  i just went through 500 of his 130 gr 310 castings ... i was surprised at how good they were ....  generally i don't have great luck with commercial cast ... maybe i got lucky, but i will give him another try.

ken

Attached Files

max503 posted this 19 October 2018

I've got that Lyman 32 caliber two cavity wadcutter mold but no gun for it.  Maybe that's God's way of telling me I need a 32 caliber handgun.

Attached Files

Close