505 Gibbs Reloading

• Last Post 13 July 2018
trakehner posted this 14 March 2017

I've got a simple question...looking to use some cast bullets in a 505 Gibbs rifle.  I see a lot of 501 bullets out there, both cast with gas checks and the heavily plated variety....the Gibbs is an actual 505.  Has anyone every tried a 501 in this caliber.  I don't believe it'd rattle down the bore, but wondered as a plinker it'd work?

Any help is appreciated.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 15 March 2017

hi .... with cast bullets there doesn't seem to be any 100 per cent rules .... so you might try those undersized bullets .... and try for 1000 fps and under ...  i would try it but be ready to scrub lead out of the barrel ...  i use 4x steel wool on a copper brush ...... ( g ) .

but ::  guessing at a probability of about 95 per cent that there will be too much hot gas leak around the small bullet and squirt vaporized lead down the barrel ....which will then distort the bullet when it catches up in a millisecond or so . each shot makes it worse ...

currently we are thinking that the best results are when the bullet is the largest diameter that will barely seat in the * THROAT *  ... and that can be several thousandths bigger than the groove diameter of the main barrel .  the idea is to clog up the barrel even before the ignition ... to keep the hot gases behind the bullet as much as possible .  it seems that squeezing the bullet down in the throat taper distorts it less than the hot gases blowing by .

notice i keep mentioning ..   ” maybe ” and  .. ” probably ” ... heh that is the fun/pain of cast bullets ...apparently cast bullets can't read real good ...

your project sounds like fun ... i like the big bores .. especially with friendly plinking loads .

ken

edt:   oh, with steel wool de-leader use a light oil ... kerosene, marvel mo, atf .

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 15 March 2017

... i would be remiss ( g ) ... if i didn't mention that round balls can make a great plinking load at about 30 yards  in the big bores ....  in my 44 mag rifle i never found a 30 yard cast load more accurate than round balls .... and easier to load .. 2-4 gr bullseye and seat with a pencil ...  check to make sure they exit the barrel tho ...

the round balls for some reason are not as finicky as oblong slugs .

ken

Attached Files

trakehner posted this 15 March 2017

Waiting for my new rifle...guess I'll have to wait until I get it to see how well things fit and the throat fit...what fun.  Considering how expensive all the loading/dies/brass and general bullets are...Hope I can find some good bullet moulds are.  I make cast bullets for my 50 BMG, these'll just be a bit lighter.

Thanks for the responses and things to think about.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 15 March 2017

Accurate molds will make their molds in the diameter you wish - I assume within reason. As an example, their 50-575B is catalogued at .503.  I would contact them and try to order it at .506.  You also could order one of their paper patched designs and paper patch it to your desired diameter. Saami specs for the throat may give you some guidance about how large a cast bullet can be for your new rifle.  Many Options out there

Jim

Attached Files

bullshop posted this 11 July 2018

I make bullets for the 505 Gibbs.  I am the proprietor of The Bullshop.  I have a custom casting service in which I offer a range of diameters in all calibers as well as targeting the customers requested alloy hardness and lube type.

I have a custom design specifically for the 505 Gibbs.  It is a 600gn round nose gas checked design that we size to .507" diameter for use in the 505 Gibbs cartridge. 

I also offer custom loading and have loaded this bullet for a customer using his rifle and got very good results with this bullet in the 2200 fps range.  Other customers purchasing this bullet for use in their 505 Gibbs rifles have also reported good results.

Its been quite a while and I did not keep the data developed for the customer as it went with his rifle but if memory serves I was burning 110gn H-870 in the 505 case with this 600gn CB.

Attached Files

trakehner posted this 12 July 2018

Howdy Bullshop....I already use your bullets for my 505 Gibbs...they work great!

Attached Files

bullshop posted this 12 July 2018

OH !!! Well that's good !  Mind sharing what type of loads your shooting ?

Attached Files

GP Idaho posted this 13 July 2018

As the O.P. ask for a plinking round here's a suggestion.  Warm a few cast bullets to 250 degrees or so and drop them into a plastic container with some powder coat and shake well.  Bake these at 400 degrees for twenty minutes and size when cooled.  This is in no way a replacement for a quality round as bullshop provides but will add enough girth to keep the gas blow by from leading up your barrel and it's easy to do. As this will add several thousands to your bullet it will most likely need to be sized down more than one might like but I'm talking Plinking rounds here.  Gp

Attached Files

Close