Anybody here bake?

• 3.6K Views
  • Last Post 18 July 2010
KenK posted this 24 November 2009

It's kind of like casting and reloading.  I made these tonight to take with us for Thanksgiving.  I'll pop them in the freezer and let them thaw out on the drive Thursday.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
tturner53 posted this 24 November 2009

Bake? Did you say bake? My grandfather is McKinley Wilton. Your wife has Wilton baking and cake decorating supplies. I hope that's a Wilton pan you're using. Grampa reached the third grade, grew up in a gypsy fortune teller's horse drawn  wagon. He practically invented cake decorating. My Mom helped him with cakes for heads of state. He gave 1/2 of everything he made (many many millions) to charity, including the Chicago PD. (sshhh), and built schools, orphanages, and hospitals in Africa. He was a great man, down to earth and generous as they come. He died two weeks after losing his bride, lost all interest in living and just died. I could go on for days, it's a great American success story. In the end greed took over the family. No, I'm just a poor working stiff like you guys, that's another story. Sorry Dale, when baking comes up I get carried away. Nice looking buns.:P

Attached Files

JSH posted this 25 November 2009

Truth be known, I can cook a lot better than most women folk I know. Not bragging or anything. As a kid I was always in the kitchen and liked cooking. I have to be honest here and say I have at least as many cook books as I do gun/reloading related books.

The son has a pretty fair interest in it and has mentioned in passing he wants to go to a culinary school. I told him nothing to be ashamed of, but it will demand a lot of time. Good honest living.

jeff

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 25 November 2009

Ashamed of !?? Hell, it's an art form, a very very useful art form. Big difference between a cook and a chef. One's an artist, the other an assembly line worker. Both are important. I've noticed bullet casters seem to have a strong creative side, a little like being a chef. My primary profession is concrete work, I call it useable art, like bullets, or food. I have a brother (loonie tunes since 1969 USMC) who is a painter. Very creative, but not useful. I tried to get him interested in painting old Victorian houses downtown, no go. Like asking Picaso to paint houses I guess. Anyway, I'm a big fan of artists who produce something useful.

Attached Files

KenK posted this 25 November 2009

I like to be able to do for myself.  After my mom passed away, I taught myself how to sew because I couldn't find anybody that could hem up my pants the way I wanted.

I've been cooking since I was ten years old.  My mom was a good cook but didn't particularly enjoy it.  I was a chowhound from an early age and if I would make it, we could have whatever I wanted for dinner.

Attached Files

Well it's all coming out now! When my wife needs sewing supplies she raids my stash. I started sewing when I was a kid, had a Lot of cake decorating lessons too. Now I only sew to fix up ratty old sails. I hope the jacketed BR guys don't see this post, we'll never hear the end of it. No, I don't have a manpurse. Like Ken, I like to be self sufficient. I'm betting a lot of you are pretty good gardeners too. Have a great Thanksgiving guys, and thanks for putting up with me, I appreciate it.

Attached Files

CB posted this 25 November 2009

Evening Ladies. Can I assume you two debutantes made your own prom dresses and baked all the pastries for your cotillions? Pictures of you at the bench in your formal gowns would be nice and add a bit of class to an otherwise dirty fingernail and unshaven chin enviroment.

Good God what is this forum coming to?????????

Attached Files

KenK posted this 25 November 2009

I forgot to mention, I also know how to knit.

Attached Files

:doooah:

Attached Files

Thems mighty fine looking biscuits Ken!   Would you care to share your recipe with us?

I find making the dough the night before and storing in the frig will make a better tasting bread when baked the next day.

I wouldn't be ashamed of baking. One of my favorite charachter heros Augustus McCrae (Robert Duval) in Lonesome Dove baked biscuits every morning in a dutch oven while reading his bible. When I get situated here, I plan to be doing the same.

I admire chef and editor Christopher Kimbal who hosts the America's Test Kitchen show. Great information...............DanW

Attached Files

So Pat, please tell me you don't buy off the rack!:taz:

Attached Files

CB posted this 26 November 2009

tturner53 wrote: So Pat, please tell me you don't buy off the rack!:taz: Most times “off the pile” at the local second hand store.

Attached Files

KenK posted this 26 November 2009

Here you go Dan,  King Arthur has a bunch of good recipes and everyone I've tried works.  http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/soft-white-dinner-rolls-recipe>http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/soft-white-dinner-rolls-recipe

I kept a sourdough starter for a while but I just got tired of fooling with it.

Nice to see you post, your abscence had been noted.

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 26 November 2009

:coffee    I can cook and bake from recipes.  My German grandmother used to let me watch when I was a toddler.  Sewing, nah, no point in it when I weld, I burn up more clothes than I can keep anyway.

That'll be “two over easy with bacon, hashbrowns, toast and coffee, please".

Attached Files

JSH posted this 26 November 2009

When I said ashamed, he caught a lot of flack from others. He is 15 and ya know there is nothing meaner than a pack of them when the get to picking. Have a couple of “chefs” at our GC that have encouraged him to go for it. All of them pretty big fellows, as is my son. I don't want any negative peer pressure to influence him

jeff

Attached Files

CB posted this 28 November 2009

Thanks for the recipe Ken.  That is a good camp recipe since it calls for dry milk instead of packing along fresh milk. The instant potatos ought to add good flavor also. One of my best breads I've made was potato bread.

I've missed you guys too. We've been out of sink at home having gone full-time RVing. Just got set up here in AZ for the winter, so hope to get into the I-net routine again..............DanW

Oh, if you use sourgh dough, I believe you need to use it routinely, like every other day or 3rd day. Once in the groove, it isn't such a hassle to mess with.

Attached Files

smokiejoe posted this 29 November 2009

sourmash is better then sourdough

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 29 November 2009

Oh, my God! Cast bullets and dough! OK, yeah I make a pretty mean loaf of sour dough and keep a starter! You just have to plan ahead and take it out of the fridge a few days before your baking day and get it working again by adding flour and milk and make a spounge. Ken, your buiscuits look like they would go real good with butter and honey. I'm getting hungry............

Because I said so!

Attached Files

1kshooter posted this 18 July 2010

I am proud to be a part of any site where men can be real with them selves and others I love to cook and want to bake cant sew worth crap but do any how I am a man and I love to be able to help out my best friend in life....my wife! thanks for keeping it real

Attached Files

Close