RF vs. SWC vs. TC....?

• 4.6K Views
  • Last Post 27 November 2014
The Black Spot posted this 01 July 2012

which would be better for hunting in a .44 specail, a round flat shape bullet, semi-wadcutter, or truncated cone? thanks in advance.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
hunterspistol posted this 01 July 2012

:coffee    The usual answer is a flat point bullet but, you just mentioned two flat points (round-flat and swc).   Aside from the paper ridge on the semi-wadcutter, there isn't any difference between the designs.

The round flat is probably going to have a larger meplat but, only by a little bit.  It's the closest to any ordinary flat point bullet so, it's probably going to be stated as the best one for hunting.  The paper ridge on a semi-wadcutter doesn't serve any purpose in hunting.

Ron

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 08 July 2012

I've used all three nose designs as well as HP in the 444 Marlin . I've used all but the TC in the 44 MAG but am sorry to say I've never used anything in a 44 Special . I suppose kinda on the same note I've used RF and SWC in the 44-40 .

To my way of thinking that Castboolits 434-207GC RF would be about perfect if it shot okay .

Attached Files

I assume this question pretains to a revolver rather then a lever action you wanna shoot 44 Special in instead of 44 MAG .

Attached Files

The Black Spot posted this 08 July 2012

i will be using in special.

Attached Files

The Black Spot wrote: i will be using in special. So is it a rifle or a revolver ?

Attached Files

Revolver

Attached Files

jr460 posted this 08 July 2012

I have used all 3 and there is really no difference in a revolver at the slower velocities of the 44 special, now if you use in a lever action go with the RF or TC, SWC do not work well in lever actions. JR

1000 yards easy

Attached Files

CB posted this 08 July 2012

Seriously, a good Keith 250 SWC is tough to beat in a 44 Spl, as long as it's a true Keith design, and not one of Lymans bastardized versions of it. The front driving band needs to be full diameter for the design to reach its accuracy potential. Lyman reduced the front driving band dimension early on to allow easier chambering. RCBS & Hensley & Gibbs versions are the closest to the original design. The lube groove issue isn't a real issue for me because todays lubes are much better than the beeswax & pump grease lubes of Keiths era. Also worth serious consideration are LBTs 250-260 gr WFN for use to about 75+ yards, or their LFN version for longer distances. Personally, I'm still using Keiths design in my 44 mags because they work, and I can't financially justify a replacement mound at this time. If you want a gas check bullet, Lymans 429244 is also a tough act to follow.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 08 July 2012

In the .44 Special when loaded to standard pressure, best would be the LBT ogival wadcutter. Nearly as good at low subsonic velocities and better in supersonic loads and at ranges exceeding 50 yards are the LBT WFN and authentic Keith bullets.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 08 July 2012

Hunting what?

Attached Files

deer and black bear

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 09 July 2012

In .44 I have a 200 gr wadcutter, a 250 gr original Keith, and a 240 gr LBT WFN. I would use either of the two heavier bullets on large game and wouldn't expect to see a nickels difference in their performance.

In a modern Smith (624 or even the 1950 target model with 6½” barrel or my Ruger Flattop Talo or Lipsey Special) I can safely attain 1100-1200 fps. That will shoot through a large whitetail deer or black bear at reasonable ranges and should do just fine.

FWIW Dale53

Attached Files

Riposte1 posted this 27 November 2014

I do most of my deer and boar hunting with the .45 (either .45 Colt, .45 Auto or .45 Auto Rim) and have had good luck with just about all flat nose designs.

I have killed one deer, a doe that dressed about 110 lbs, with a .44 Spl.  It was a cast Keith (real Keith) HP but it was about 15 on the Brinnel scale so I doubt it expanded.

The range was right at 100 yards and the gun was a S&W Triple Lock (made in 1908) with a 6.5” barrel...velocity was right at 1050 at the muzzle so it probably hit at around 950.

Just a guess but I think the wider meplat bullets would work slightly better but this critter went down instantly - broke both shoulders low - so I cannot really complain.  I think the WFNs are just a little more forgiving if you miss breaking bone by an inch or two.

I've had really good luck in .45 with the 260 Lee RF (which is not quite a WFN but it is pretty close - I'd have to measure but I think the meplat is about .34).  I've had great results with the Lyman 452424 also....but as more experienced folks here point out, it is the flat that does the work not the shoulder.  If I were buying molds again just about every handgun bullet would be a WFN or Ogival Wadcutter.

Riposte

Attached Files

Close