Caldwell Tack Driver sandbag

• 2.9K Views
  • Last Post 09 August 2012
Ben Cartwright SASS posted this 28 July 2012

I have a question for the forum :dude:

Bass Pro is selling a “Tack Driver” sandbag it is different from the one I have been using which is a normal sandbag at the front of the handguard. On this one the rifle rests in the sand bag and it has two ears one each side that cradle it.

Is this allowed for the postal matches? .>

I have seen people setting up regular sandbags that way at one of my local clubs for regular shooting or at our benchrest shoots.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 28 July 2012

Ben, I'm not an official person, but it looks OK to me. I think Postal matches may go along with the CBA Benchrest Match rules? If you want to know for certain, I'd go to the CBA home Webpage under 'officers' and ask the man in charge Michael Kastning:..............Dan

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 28 July 2012

I think you'd have a hard time getting that bag considered legal at a BR match but have no idea what's allowed in the postal matches. They do work well though. I used to drag a Bull Bag with me when I went varmint shooting but it was so heavy I gave up on it.

Attached Files

CB posted this 28 July 2012

Pat, I don't see a problem. Doc Nelson has been using something similar for years in the military br matches.

Rules say front and rear bags can't be connected, this isn't unlike 'the sled'. Rules say the rests can't be fastened down and firearm can't be fastened to the rest. This is just a big bag. As long as the rife can be picked up, it is not fastened down.......Dan

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 28 July 2012

Dan you could very well be right and I think a ruling has to be made on this one way or the other. If it turns out something like that is legal I'm digging out my Bull Bag because it would make it a lot easier to shoot these hunting guns. My bag has to weigh about 30 pounds and once you settle the gun in and spread the bottom half it locks the gun in like it's in a vise. Personally I wouldn't think it'd be legal but I'm done trying to swim upstream so if it turns out to be legal I'm jumping aboard.  

Attached Files

CB posted this 29 July 2012

pat i. wrote: My bag has to weigh about 30 pounds and once you settle the gun in and spread the bottom half it locks the gun in like it's in a vise. Personally I wouldn't think it'd be legal but I'm done trying teo swim upstream so if it turns out to be legal I'm jumping aboard.  

Ya,but!!!!! :D Is the cross hair still on target after each shot? No. I got a bag similar and its a PITA to get back to zero after each shot. I don't think it has recoil repeatability shot to shot, not like a standard br front and rear bag rest. Just my opinion........Dan

Attached Files

linoww posted this 29 July 2012

I have one i rescued from our range that had been shot open by a pistol shooter that I repaired and refilled .With my military rifles and light sporters i have good luck shooting groups.With muzzle loaders i get better groups using it than my Hart rest and good rear bag.I think it having a longer area to rest the forend may help it?

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

CB posted this 29 July 2012

Ya George, I think I have better luck with my big bag for my light 22RFs and light recoil rifles like my little 32-20. It's just like the other different types of rests, good points and not so good:)........Dan

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 29 July 2012

I suppose the thing to do now is write the BOD and get a ruling to see if it's legal or not.

Attached Files

Ben Cartwright SASS posted this 29 July 2012

I have never used one, they have them on sale at Bass Pro the 17th for $29, I am going to get one for use at my club and will be interested to see what the BOD says.

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 02 August 2012

Do you guys think this rule has any bearing on this discussion? I highlighted the AND part myself but it looks to me that something like the Bull Bag or the Caldwell used alone wouldn't make it. But that's just my opinion and has no weight. 

5.8 Rests (Rifle) ”€œ In bench rest matches, rifles shall be fired from a sandbag front rest which may be supported on a pedestal and a sand bag rear rest supporting the underside of the buttstock. Neither sandbag will be utilized in a manner which will restrain recoil. Rifles entered in the Unrestricted Class are exempt from these requirements.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 08 August 2012

Put the  bag on a small pedestal and its fine.

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

.22-10-45 posted this 09 August 2012

Hello, everyone. When I first started working up loads for my Axtel .40 2 1/2” Sharps (.40-70) Creedmoor, The recoil from that light 10# gun was snapping my head back so hard I developed a bad headache after just a few shots..funny, my shoulder was fine. I was shooting off front bag on Hart rest & rear bunny bag. Bought the suede Bulls Bag & the light clamping pressure from the “butterfly” bag shape cured that problem. I set the bag up on a couple of wood blocks, with thin rubber matting underneath to prevent slipping. I also continue to use the Protector leather bunny bag at rear. I don't think there shoud be a problem using two bags..unless they got picky about the snug-fit of forend..but Dan Willems is right..there is no “coming back” to zero with this setup.

Attached Files

Close