Natchez the cheapest.

• 9.5K Views
  • Last Post 05 May 2014
Pigslayer posted this 08 December 2012

I do a lot of research before buying components/equipment. It only takes a short while on the net. I put an order together and then try it on various sites i.e. Midway, Titan & Natchez. Today I ordered accesories for my new LEE turret press: Pro Auto Disk powder measure, universal charge bar, 45C powder thru expanding die, riser for powder measure & safety primer feeds. $89.00 delivered from Natchez & over $100.00 from everyone else. Natchez always has the edge from me. Titan is second.

Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
tturner53 posted this 08 December 2012

Good report. We need to spread the love around, don't want Midway wiping out all the competition, getting a monopoly.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 08 December 2012

tturner53 wrote: Good report. We need to spread the love around, don't want Midway wiping out all the competition, getting a monopoly. I've pretty much stopped buying from Midway. Their Hazmat fees are double what Natchez are & they don't ship powder for two weeks. Along with their small order fee on anything under $25.00. I also find better prices in general from other vendors.

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Notlwonk posted this 08 December 2012

I stopped ordering from Midway for a year or more. I did an online order and at checkout they had added a couple 'suggested items' to the order. The order was aborted and an email sent telling them “I'm the customer, I'll decide what to order!"

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 08 December 2012

I don't order anything from Midway anymore if I can get it any place else. Their shipping fees are so high that it is ridiculous. People keep saying what a “great guy Larry Parker is". Well he can afford to be one since he is making his markup twice. Once on the item and again on the shipping and handling. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Lillard posted this 08 December 2012

I order very little from Midway anymore. I placed my last order from Graf and Sons and was very pleased with the service.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 09 December 2012

Lillard wrote: I order very little from Midway anymore. I placed my last order from Graf and Sons and was very pleased with the service. I've never ordered from Graf's but I have heard good things about them. I have though, checked out their site. I'll have to browse around over there.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 09 December 2012

Also take a look at Huntington's. Very good people. The original home of RCBS, other stuff too. Lots of hard to find stuff, brass.

Attached Files

MaryB posted this 15 June 2013

I have abandoned many Midway orders when I saw what the shipping was going to be. I agree with Natchez and Titan as my 2 main suppliers.

Attached Files

Sagebrush7 posted this 04 July 2013

Hey Pat, Natchez will not sell to us in Alabama, Georgia or Tennessee. Mail order that is. I am not sure about walk ends. I guess they are protecting there clients. Until recently we did not have a stocking vendor within a hundred miles. I use Midway,MidSouth and Graft & Sons. Spent over $10,000 at those vendors this year. I guess Natchez doesn't need the money or business. James

Attached Files

45ACPete posted this 04 July 2013

Funny, no mention of MidSouth--their prices are at least as good as Natchez's (although I use them both). Still use Midway as they are usually more likely to have everything in stock.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 04 July 2013

Sagebrush7 wrote: Hey Pat, Natchez will not sell to us in Alabama, Georgia or Tennessee. Mail order that is. I am not sure about walk ends. I guess they are protecting there clients. Until recently we did not have a stocking vendor within a hundred miles. I use Midway,MidSouth and Graft & Sons. Spent over $10,000 at those vendors this year. I guess Natchez doesn't need the money or business. James

Wow! That's odd. Are there some legal barriers having to do with those states or are they respecting someone's turf?

Pat

Attached Files

Sagebrush7 posted this 04 July 2013

No I actually called them a few years back. They said they wanted us to go to the local shops and buy there. I lived in North Georgia at the time and driving thru Atlanta was a day long affair. So I bought from other vendors. Signed onto their website again after you posted and received the same declaimer. No sells to Al,Ga or Tenn. When I drive through Chattanooga I don't even stop!

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 04 July 2013

Sagebrush7 wrote: No I actually called them a few years back. They said they wanted us to go to the local shops and buy there. I lived in North Georgia at the time and driving thru Atlanta was a day long affair. So I bought from other vendors. Signed onto their website again after you posted and received the same declaimer. No sells to Al,Ga or Tenn. When I drive through Chattanooga I don't even stop! It seems apparent that they have entered into a territorial alliance with someone . . . it could even be Mid-South. Those kind of alliances are not uncommon in business. I really don't think that it is due to overwhelming compassion for the poor dealers in three entire states! They're in bed with someone and again, it may even be Mid-South. This is pure speculation on my part mind you. Even with that I'll keep buying from them and won't hesitate to buy from Mid-South either. Pat

Attached Files

Muskrat Mike posted this 05 July 2013

I have to defend Midway.  they have been very easy to do business with for years and the only time I had a problem with an item they fixed it immediately. I just finished wasting 10 minutes shopping for a Multi scale universal charge bar instead of just ordering it from Midway.  Graff & sons was cheaper by $2.01 but out of stock. ballistic Products, Precision reloading and Natchez who was the most expensive ranged from $3.00 to 21.00 more to purchase and have shipped.  I ended up paying Midway $49.16 to have it shipped to me and it's on it's way. Maybe I just have a better Zipcode for the shipping???;)

Muskrat Mike

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 06 July 2013

Muskrat Mike wrote: I have to defend Midway.  they have been very easy to do business with for years and the only time I had a problem with an item they fixed it immediately. I just finished wasting 10 minutes shopping for a Multi scale universal charge bar instead of just ordering it from Midway.  Graff & sons was cheaper by $2.01 but out of stock. ballistic Products, Precision reloading and Natchez who was the most expensive ranged from $3.00 to 21.00 more to purchase and have shipped.  I ended up paying Midway $49.16 to have it shipped to me and it's on it's way. Maybe I just have a better Zipcode for the shipping???;)

What better way to waste 10 minutes than to shop for shooting related merchandise! It's not that I don't deal with Midway, it's just that most of the time I find better deals elsewhere. At one time Midway was the ONLY place I dealt with. I always shop for the best deals no matter what.

Attached Files

badgeredd posted this 06 July 2013

Like Pigslayer, I order from whom ever has the best deal for me. I've ordered from Buffalo Arms a few time and they had the best price on the item I ordered. This is by no means the typical case. If I have the time I'll shop around for the components, especially when it is a larger order. Recently I ordered some sights from Brownells because they were one of 2 suppliers that had the particular sight I wanted and they were the cheapest on my order by a full 10% including shipping.

Edd

Attached Files

K31Swiss posted this 20 September 2013

I too compare multiple vendors to find the best price for the order. I now know I will scratch Natchez off my list.

A month ago I ordered a Lee pistol factory crimp die and another turret for a Lee press. It easily fits in a USPS small flat rate Priority box.

Natchez gave me two shipping options, UPS and DHL Global. UPS was fast but expensive, DHL Global was cheaper but still overpriced and slow (nearly 2 weeks estimate.)

Well, DHL has crappy tracking and lost the shipment. I live in Ohio so most anything from Chattanooga should be here in 2-3 days. DHL sent it SOUTH to Georgia and gave to USPS. That transfer was where it was lost but they entered the data into USPS tracking, but USPS never received.

Called Natchez. They would trace and call me back. While speaking with rep, you get an attitude about an Internet order (instead of phone) and using DHL. I asked why they don;t offer USPS Priority shipping. They do! Only you have to place a phone order.

Natchez finally called back 2 days later on a Sat. morning saying DHL lost it and they would reship it. Asking what method, she said USPS.

Finally got it yesterday. Weighed package. 1 lb. 8 oz... a 2 lb shipping rate. Also took an extra day to get out of their plant, shipped Tuesday instead of a possible Sat.

Looking back at original order they charged $10.66 for DHL and said package was 3.1 lbs (4 lb rate.) Quoted me more than $16 for UPS.

For a 4lb box: UPS ground $14.61 USPS Priority $8.47

For a realistic 2 lb box, 12 x 7 x 5 UPS ground $13.51 USPS Priority $5.84 USPS Small Flat Rate box $5.15

What do I deduce from this?

Natchez pads their shipping. They estimate high and charge you at the higher weight. They must tack on extra to their shipping rates.

They are too stupid or too lazy to at least put a note on their web site shopping cart to place the order by phone if you want USPS shipping.

They take about 2 days to get stuff out the door. Should be next day or same day as I've experience a few times with Midway. Why aren't they caught up after 5 years?

DHL sucks the big one. They are a foreign company. They have this shipping model that doesn't work well. They accept the package at a slightly lower price. They move it to their depots and transfer to USPS. They do not get it into USPS anywhere near your location. They blame slowness on USPS. USPS points finger at DHL.

Bob

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 12 October 2013

K31Swiss, I thnk that they all/or most pad their shipping. They call it shipping & “handling". The handling being the padding.

Attached Files

CB posted this 12 October 2013

Pigslayer wrote: K31Swiss, I thnk that they all/or most pad their shipping. They call it shipping & “handling". The handling being the padding.

Shipping is a real PITA now days. I remember years ago not even concerned about shipping cost. I don't mail order much now days, but when I do I order from Amazon.com. My wife orders a lot of her supplies so she is a 'Prime' member which includes free shipping on Prime items. There's a lot of auto parts and gun parts offered on Amazon. :). Keeps me happy, keeps the wife happy happy happy...

Attached Files

Longone posted this 12 October 2013

Midsouth has been great in my book, nice people to deal with and they don't blow smoke up your bottom side with fake sale prices or excessive shipping costs. And the ship very promptly.

Longone

Attached Files

bill_clancy posted this 15 October 2013

Pigslayer wrote: K31Swiss, I think that they all/or most pad their shipping. They call it shipping & “handling". The handling being the padding.

I call it “Shipping and fondling"

Attached Files

Garyshome posted this 21 November 2013

MidSouth & Wiedeners, good places to find stuff at decent prices. Better Then Midway

Attached Files

tominct posted this 21 November 2013

Garyshome wrote: MidSouth & Wiedeners, good places to find stuff at decent prices. Better Then Midway  Same here. Some places try to make up in shipping what they didn't get in charging a couple dollars for the product.I don't get wound over a few dollars difference on the price of a product, but beating me on shipping will get my blood pressure up!

I've not ordered much recently but Midsouth and Wideners have been very good in the past to me.

Attached Files

Garyshome posted this 08 December 2013

I've bought a lot of stuff from natchez. Good prices & shipping.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 05 April 2014

Although I usually buy from Natchez, I decided to buy from Graf's this time as Natchez didn't sell black powder. The prices are a little higher but . . . what are you going to do? Stocked up on small pistol primers, 2F & 3F Goex black powder.

Attached Files

Sagebrush7 posted this 05 May 2014

Stopped ordering from Midway Jan 01/14. They took away our dealer discounts where we could participate in there specials. Ha Ha. I get several emails every day with those specials. If I see something I might want its gone before I can warm up the puter!. Now over 5 months I wonder how there bottom line looks.

Attached Files

Close