Crowded Bench

• 2.8K Views
  • Last Post 02 October 2016
Pigslayer posted this 08 December 2012

O.K. with three presses & three lubersizers the bench is getting crowded. Decided to make a docking system so that I can lock in whatever press/sizer that I want to use while the others are up on a shelf. I'm using 1/4” T6061 Aluminum for the mounting plates as I think that that should be strong enough. Will update with pics. I ordered my AL from online metals as I have used them many times before.

Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 08 December 2012

Cant wait to see that! Always looking for a better way to arrange the loading bench. I have a 5/8 thick cast alum plate drilled and tapped in various configurations that I just bolt down what I need to use.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 15 December 2012

Got a good start on my docking system today. I'm using 1018 steel flat bar for the actual docking assy. that mounts to the bench. Got all the steel cut, layed out & all holes drilled. Was moving right along until I broke a tap. Grrrrrrr! Will have to heat the broken tap to cherry red to take the temper out then drill it out. I bought a metal cutting bandsaw from Grizzly Industrial about five years ago. It's a great little piece.

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 16 December 2012

O.K. Got it finished . . . the part that mounts on the bench anyway. Still waiting on the 6” x 6” aluminum plates that the presses & sizers will mount to. The plate(s) will slide into the mount & simply be secured w/thumbscrews. Gotta paint it up yet.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 16 December 2012

That's slick Mr. I want one. Maybe TWO!

Attached Files

biddulph posted this 16 December 2012

Hi Pat,

that sure is nice work.

James

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 16 December 2012

Nice idea and nice work!

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 17 December 2012

Thanks Guys! I have the dock primed w/grey primer. I cut some of the docking plates today. Hoping to have it mounted on the bench tomorrow with my NEW Lee Turret press on it! Oh Boy!

Pat

Attached Files

CB posted this 17 December 2012

Gee Pat you sound as excited as a kid at Christmas morning. I like it, good thinking!

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 18 December 2012

Jeff Bowles wrote: Gee Pat you sound as excited as a kid at Christmas morning. I like it, good thinking!

It's always like Christmas when I get new reloading toys!! See pics.  Waiting for the paint to dry on the docking assy.. In all honesty I did get the idea for this project from a vendor on another site. Although his device looks well made, I questioned the strength of it when using a press such as big “O” frames such as the Lyman Crusher, RCBS Big Max, Rock Chucker & the like. I don't know . . . as I've never had one in my hands. I looked close but did not see any device for locking the press in place on that vendors docking assy..The docking plates that I made are made of 1/4” T6061 aluminum while the docking assy. is made of 5/16” & 3/8” 1018 steel plate. If I see any flex in the aluminum docking plates, I'll switch to 1/4” 1018 steel plate.  I've always had an affinity with overbuilding . . . like we used to do in this country.

Pat

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 18 December 2012

Great progress!

Gary

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 19 December 2012

onondaga wrote: Great progress!

Gary Well Gary, the docking assy is “rock solid"!! I just set up my LEE turret press & was playing with it. See pics.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 19 December 2012

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=6171>Pigslayer:

Pat, I don't see a Lee Zip Trim with the optional 3 Jaw Chuck!  I believe you will be a real “Lee” guy when you get one of those!!!!

Gary

Attached Files

biddulph posted this 20 December 2012

Hi Pat,

watch out for oil getting into the plastic bit that rotates the Lee turrets. If it gets oil on it it tends to just go backwards and forwards without rotating the head as its supposed to.

Also, don't you listen to those nasty comments about 'being a real Lee man' if you don't have the Zip Trim... I have the 3 jaw chuck that fits into an 18 volt drill that works a treat... still yet to make the grade as a 'Lee man' though... (thats a joke Gary...!!!)

Your bench plates look great and sure simplify your bench set up.

On the Lee stuff, I think old man Lee was a most gifted engineer. His ideas are always a little out of left field but work so well. I love his Lee Loaders and have one in .303, .308 and .223. Great stuff and such a simple concept. I have some of his moulds but do tend to prefer the iron moulds by Lymans. I have never found cleaning the oil off them to be a major drama, except once recently when I wasn't thorough about it and they didn't fill out.

Well done and happy Xmas!

James

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 20 December 2012

Yea, I absolutely love the LEE turret setup. I think Old man LEE was more than just gifted. His products are nothing less than creative genius. The first LEE product I ever bought was a case trimmer & case guage for my .270 Winchester back in about 1974. I remember marveling at the simplistic yet efficient design combined with a more than affordable price. I still use those trimmers & case length guages today. The next LEE product I bought was the hand held auto prime. Those tools have been a mainstay in my reloading equipment for fourty years.

Attached Files

Michael K posted this 21 December 2012

Very nice. Several years ago I seen an article where someone put together a similar set up, except his docking system was designed and built around the 2” receiver hitch on back of his truck.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 26 December 2012

I just finished another docking assy. It's a little different from the first in that it has a wider stance. Made this one for Dane (delmarskid1).

Attached Files

4570sharps posted this 02 October 2016

I just keep adding benches.

Attached Files

Close